DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default I'm FINISHED with acoustic drums

well today i went out and rented an electronic drumset, so that i could become more familiar with the control module, and i have to say, im never going back to acoustic

being able to switch to completly different sound kits with the push of a button, and having drums that sound professional, i cant see any other way. i dont know what it is that keeps people playing acoustic, but i suggest trying out an electric for more then an hour (if you havn't) , although i might buy another cymbal for my acoustic, the rest of my drumming will probably go to electric.

i know im going to get cyber bullied for this, but what can i say? i can't belive i didn't buy one of these before

Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: I'm FINISHED with acoustic drums

I don't think an electronic kit could ever replace certain things about acoustic drums. Give me a double blind and I might fail, but I always have a lot more fun playing an acoustic kit over an electronic one
Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 AM
fourstringdrums

Nothing can replace acoustic drums in the sound, the feel, and the personal aspect of the instrument. Electronic drums might sound fairly close to an acoustic drum, but they'll never quite be it. Also acoustic drums just can't offer the same versatility and hands on experience in regards to touch in your playing and dynamics. On an electronic kit, everyone sounds the same IMO.

You'll be back. I wouldn't rush to a conclusion so quickly.

What has got you so disillusioned with acoustic drums in the first place anyway?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

electric drums sound way better, you can make them sound like regular acoustics, or like very high end maple drums, on some settings they do loose a lot of the traditional sound, but unless you have a very high end acoustic drumset, the electric drums are the way to go( i know im rushing to conclusions, but after playing all day, i just can see another way to play drums )

Old 07-06-2007, 05:12 AM
Silver Member

If it wasn't easier to record with electric kits, and quieter for parents and the neighbors, I'd never consider getting v-drums.

The sounds that come from an electronic kit are not even close to the sounds of real drums and real cymbals. The rebound from trigger pads is also insane.. and that's another reason I dislike v-drums.. it's a completely unrealistic feel. I usually play on a v-kit whenever I'm in a music store, or around one in general. Acoustic drums beat them hands down, in my opinion.

But hey, you play what makes you happy.

And yes, you're rushing to hasty, and extremely unfounded conclusions. Besides, how many high end kits have you spent as much time on as you have this precious electronic kit, hm? Did you play an acoustic drum next to the electric one to compare sound? I mean.. and that's beyond basic logic: the electric drum kit was modeled after the acoustic drum kit.. so I find it far-fetched that electric kits sound MORE AUTHENTIC than the kits they're based off of. That's just silly.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 AM

They look ugly, sound quite ugly, dont like them, theyre ugly.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:15 AM
fourstringdrums

I guess that's a valid argument, one I don't personally agree with because I'm a purist. But wouldn't you be better off to play them for more than a day before you make that assumption?

I still say that the same touch on the instrument and dynamics that you have on an acoustic set can't be transferred over to an e-kit unless you have a VERY advanced set where the tone changes depending on how hard you hit, just like an acoustic drum. Even in that case, it's too mechanical and will never be the same.

E-kits are fine, I just wouldn't scrap acoustic sets all together unless you have no choice, for instance if your living space requires it. But if that's not the case, I would still keep an acoustic set around for when the need calls for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member

whats up with everyone, the sound quality is way better? i dont even think thats a question?

but the feel of an acoustic is better i must admit

i wish i could delete my own threads sometimes

Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
whats up with everyone, the sound quality is way better? i dont even think thats a question?

You said the sound was better, I don't believe anyone else did.

If anything else, the feel will be the thing that makes you miss atleast having an acoustic set around.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Gold Member

Why not use both? That's what I do!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
well today i went out and rented an electronic drumset, so that i could become more familiar with the control module, and i have to say, im never going back to acoustic

being able to switch to completly different sound kits with the push of a button, and having drums that sound professional, i cant see any other way. i dont know what it is that keeps people playing acoustic, but i suggest trying out an electric for more then an hour (if you havn't) , although i might buy another cymbal for my acoustic, the rest of my drumming will probably go to electric.
Quote:
electric drums sound way better, you can make them sound like regular acoustics, or like very high end maple drums, on some settings they do loose a lot of the traditional sound, but unless you have a very high end acoustic drumset, the electric drums are the way to go( i know im rushing to conclusions, but after playing all day, i just can see another way to play drums )
I have owned an e-kit (Roland TD8 KV) for over a year, and I'd never ever want to switch to just playing an e-kit. No matter how you tweak them, they will always sound unnatural, compressed, and just downright awful -- and don't get me started with the feel and dynamic issues! Now, I'm not an old purist who sticks to acoustics just because I've done so for a hundred years. During my four-plus years of drumming I've yet to come across an acoustic kit I'd not prefer over my V-drums. They're good for quiet practice and actual electric drum sounds, but they just can't replace acoustics.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 AM

I think it's awesome to want to try different things, but I know myself that my tastes in music, and my style of drumming, have changed more times than I care to even remember. Everyone should experiment with different things and different sounds, and I think we all do to various extents. There's nothing wrong with electronic drums, and obviously you like them a lot since you tried them. It's a new experience, and new experiences can be fantastic. However, I think that once you've played them for awhile, that may change. You might even decide to play an e-kit in certain situations and an acoustic kit in others.

~~Sorry my dog humped your leg. He feels terrible about it.~~
Old 07-06-2007, 06:05 AM

I don't have a choice at the moment so I play my Roland TD-12; but even so, I really like it. Having access to configure many aspects of each drum and being able to select different instruments for each trigger (i.e. rim shot for tom 2 becomes a cowbell) allows me to experiment with different sounds without having a monster kit.

Now, do I *like* the feel better than acoustics? (notice I said *like* because saying "is it better" would be completely subjective) it really depends. I suppose that if I could have a good-to-great acoustic kit, then I would like it better. The kits I play at the music school are awful and I generally can't wait to go play my own e-kit.

The one aspect that I find really lacking is on the cymbals - even though it can do a lot, the e-kit doesn't come close (for my taste) on the versatility of the real cymbals.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Silver Member

I can't even imagine going to complete electric. I just think the e-kits sound way too... e-kitish! Heh but you know what I mean, all the same and just unnatural.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
Why not use both? That's what I do!
I'll second that. There's things my SPD-S can do that acoustic drums cannot...and things acoustic drums can do that e-kits cannot.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Pioneer Member

e-kits are limited to what the manufacturers put into the product. You can't try an infinite number of mic positions with an e-kit, you can't stack any cymbal on top of any other, I'm guessing the highest sample rate used is 44.1k, and of course cymbals especially don't come near the real things, etc. I usually use v-drums to get sounds that don't sound like acoustic drums and cymbals. I suppose if a person can't tune or play or mic, an e-kit will always sound better.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM

You're right! Personnally I'm finished with acoustic cymbals.

They just don't sound right.

Last edited by Drumms; 07-06-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM

"I like the sound of e kits to be honest....they sound more like the drums you hear on cd's"

that was the first thing my 11 year old son said when he played a e kit and he had always hated the idea of an e kit!

ok they might not sound the same as an acoustic kit but who cares? my electric guitar doesnt sound like my acoustic!

I think they are the way forward to be honest and also no hearing loss risk either..I said no hearing loss either
I think if roland came out with a e kit that looked like an acoustic so it would look the same on stage it would go down a storm!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:16 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:

the sound quality is nothing but files being triggered out an amp.....come on!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Yeah, you can go to electronic kits, but you're still stuck with analog sticks. You'll never be REALLY cool unless you switch to digital drumsticks too.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I have a Yamaha Keyboard with "very realistic sounding brass and strings", but given the choice I would much rather have a sax player, trumpet, trombone standing next to me than my keyboard. I have never heard anything electric sound as good or better than the real thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Well I'm glad you enjoy your e-drums, but I'm pretty sure in the end you will want to go back to your acoustic kit. There isn't any substitute for the real thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

I think electric kits have their place in silent practice.

Id love one for that....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM

I have V-drums, simply because of space/sound etc... but i must say i love them, they aren't perfect, and its hard to get certain effects with the snare, and creativity on the kit is limited somewhat, but I really love the fact I can play along to my iPod with them, and my parents can watch TV or w/e in the same room.

Plus for electronic music, or home made music (esp if you my age... 17) electric kits are perfect.

But still, having said all that, i long for an acoustic kit! If it weren't for lack of room, or too many old people living on my road, or even at the moment lack of money, i'd have an acoustic kit. But i'd never get rid of the electric.

I can see why you'd prefer electric ones, especially if the drumming you play isn't traditional or is more electronically based. But in terms of sounds, acoustic kits are obviously going to have a better sound, it stands to reason.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:16 PM

My ideal kit would be mostly acoustic with maybe a few electronic pads for effects. Kick, hats, cymbals, (main) snare - I'm not even considering electronic.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

This probably says as much about the quality, set-up and technique on your acoustic kit as it does about the good points of an e-kit.

It's definitely not a good idea to stick only to playing an e-kit; when you do get back on your real kit, you're likely to fall to bits - the response and sheer volume can be quite a shock.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:00 PM

I am considering getting an electric to go in my room. But I would never just have an electric. I would only use to play around with and never for gigging etc.

But you will find that alot of the high end drum modules use drums that have been recorded as well as cymbals so really people cant rip them for sounding bad.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:46 PM

i have to admit i played a "high end electric" kit in a soundcontrol stotre for like 3 hours and i was amazed at the sounds and how u can choose a backing tune to play too and have headphones so only you hear!

acoustics rule though
Old 07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Pioneer Member

It's not a good idea to limit yourself to just e-drums. In today's music world it is a good idea to have knowledge of them and own a kit. It also helps to have knowledge of drum machines and seqencers ; how to programme them and such.
You really limit yourself as a freelance drummer if you don't use all the tools available and have a basic grasp on them.
And it's very competitive out there.
Just thought I'd throw that out.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

I've actually considered picking up a set of electronic drums, mainly for quiet practicing and recording. It is much easier laying down a quick demo drum track with them. As far as playing live shows, I don't think I could fully play an entire night with them...maybe do like what Neil Peart does.

I could never even think of replacing my acoustic kit because an e-kit doesn't even come close. Yes, you can probably get killer sounds out of them and maybe close to an acoustic drum sound. But nothing beats an acoustic set. Sorry, that's what I think.

birch
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

ahaha i shouldn't have named this thread "finished with acoustics" i should have named it "im not going to live without an electric thread"

but when you have the elctric kits hooked up to really good speakers like mine, and you set the toms to maple, and you roll along the toms and it sounds like a starclassic maple, you cant help but feel a little sorry for the fact that the acoustic drums are stuck with the same sound. although yes, they do sound better live and are more comfortable, but you can spend 500$ on a snare, for one sound.

i would NEVER get rid of my acoustic, i will still continue to upgrade it, but the electronic world has so many opporitunites that i think everyone should own one.

the live factor definatly goes to the acoustics, but having super warm rich low sounding toms, and throwing in some cool sound effects, it doubles the fun of the world of drumming.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:42 PM

I've been using a set of Roland TD-10 V's for live performance and recording for a few months now, and had used them primarily as a "quiet" home kit for a few years prior to that (was in the Army, so couldn't keep a band together). They have their pros and cons, just like anything else.

I finally just got around to buying a new acoustic kit to replace my old Pearls, and I am amazed daily by the pronounced difference in dynamics, tone, volume range, and "feel". You give up a lot of sound, feel, and control by going electric. You gain less stage noise, the ability to hook up to the sound system with one cable if you want, and potentially less stuff to haul.

It's all a trade off. I enjoy playing both, and both have their applications. Next up for me is intertwining the two kits to gain access to a ton of percussion instruments that would otherwise cost a lot of money for a return that has yet to be calculated.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You can spend 500$ on a snare, for one sound.
Er....

How about different tunings? Different touch? Different heads? Different hoops? Different sticks, mallets or brushes? Different muffling? There are hundreds and thousands of different sounds in a snare. By changing just your touch you can achieve dozens of different sounds, and when coupled with the rest of the possibilities the amount of different sounds becomes virtually limitless.

I'd like to see an acoustic snare (or any drum or cymbal) that has only one sound. That'd be quite impressive (albeit impossible).
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have a Yamaha Keyboard with "very realistic sounding brass and strings", but given the choice I would much rather have a sax player, trumpet, trombone standing next to me than my keyboard. I have never heard anything electric sound as good or better than the real thing.
e-kits don't sound like acoustic sets, but that is not always a bad thing. For many genres, the processed sound of an e-kit is actually preferable to the old-fashioned sound of an acoustic kit. Most audience members won't be able to tell the difference, or even notice you're on a electronic set.

The main beef against e-kits is their dorky appearance and the fact that drummers are pretty fuddy-duddy when it comes to their instruments. The basic construction of the drum shell hasn't changed in 150 years - that should tell you something.

Ironcobra, you may change back to acoustic and maybe not. One person here recently dropped a couple of toms and now plays a four-piece, but I predict they'll get bored and want more drums again before long. You might stick with an e-kit, or decide all you need is a couple of pads in an acoustic set, or just long for the idiosyncratic feel of an acoustic set.

As for me, I wouldn't be caught dead with an electronic anything in my set.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Er....

How about different tunings? Different touch? Different heads? Different hoops? Different sticks, mallets or brushes? Different muffling? There are hundreds and thousands of different sounds in a snare. By changing just your touch you can achieve dozens of different sounds, and when coupled with the rest of the possibilities the amount of different sounds becomes virtually limitless.

I'd like to see an acoustic snare (or any drum or cymbal) that has only one sound. That'd be quite impressive (albeit impossible).
i know what your saying, but i mean, with the click of a button, you can change from a metal snare, to a wood snare, to an african drum, in a matter of seconds.

if only i could replace the toms on my acoustic with the ones on my electric, that would sound amazing

Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
It's definitely not a good idea to stick only to playing an e-kit; when you do get back on your real kit, you're likely to fall to bits - the response and sheer volume can be quite a shock.
I totally agree, I started out on an E-kit, I almost p... my pants the first time(s) I played acoustic..
Now I play A-kit twice a week, E-kit 5 times a week, still I'm more confident on my E-kit. I can do stuff on my Roland that I can't do on acoustics..

/Oldie
Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
if only i could replace the toms on my acoustic with the ones on my electric, that would sound amazing

get some triggers, mesh heads, and a brain and you have the same thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldie View Post
I totally agree, I started out on an E-kit, I almost p... my pants the first time(s) I played acoustic..
Now I play A-kit twice a week, E-kit 5 times a week, still I'm more confident on my E-kit. I can do stuff on my Roland that I can't do on acoustics..

/Oldie
One thing that I have discovered, after playing solely electrics for a while and just recently going back to acoustics, is that electronic drums will make up for a lot of bad technique and poor playing. I don't mean to say that you have these things, only that electronic drums are much more tolerant and will cause you to slack off.

With e's, even the nice ones, you get pretty much the same sound regardless of strike location for example. (Mesh heads simulate a real drum far better than rubber, but they still have nowhere near the range or expression of an acoustic head/drum.) Cymbals may give you slight differences in volume based on how hard you're hitting, but they generally produce the exact same sound every time you touch them. At first, this may seem like a boon, but I have personally found that it sticks out like a big fake sore thumb on recordings and require quite a bit of fidgeting to get a good sound).
Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungydan View Post
One thing that I have discovered, after playing solely electrics for a while and just recently going back to acoustics, is that electronic drums will make up for a lot of bad technique and poor playing. I don't mean to say that you have these things, only that electronic drums are much more tolerant and will cause you to slack off.

With e's, even the nice ones, you get pretty much the same sound regardless of strike location for example. (Mesh heads simulate a real drum far better than rubber, but they still have nowhere near the range or expression of an acoustic head/drum.) Cymbals may give you slight differences in volume based on how hard you're hitting, but they generally produce the exact same sound every time you touch them. At first, this may seem like a boon, but I have personally found that it sticks out like a big fake sore thumb on recordings and require quite a bit of fidgeting to get a good sound).
i totally agree that the sound is hard to change with different styles of hitting, but its not as bad as you think, when it comes to volume+hit power its it works out just as good as an acoustic, but getting different sounds off of different points on the pad is useless.

but besides all of the thoughts about about ekits and akits, i think with a big enough amp, and a very good set of roland's, the electric sets will give you very excellent sounds + much better variety

but the majority of everyone on here seems to think the electric kits sound horible and acoustics sound amazing......but what acoustics are you comparing the e kits to? surely you can be saying a pearl vision sounds better then an electric, even though all of you still say acoustics sound better, im going to stick to my idea that electrics sound better. sure they dont have as much attack, or sound as crisp and traditional, but when it comes to pure sound QUALITY, i think electric kits are far ahead, i mean....they are recordings of prof. drumsets! (i hope you all have played e-kits on loud speakers, because if you have only played e-kits on headphones, no wonder your against them)

can someone of higher authority change this threads name to "xXx DeAtH tO e-KiT's xXx"
.......or something more appropriate

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Er....

Yess all these things are possible and it take alot of time for most.

As well if you get something like a Yamaha DTXtreme IIs there are over 50,000 sanre combonation all withing minutes.