DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-09-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: not impresssed with remo

remos been having problems l8tly with thier heads. try the texture coated aquarian head. they are designed not to chip away or fade in the first few weeks of playing.
i had one and i played it for a couple weeks and all that formed in the middle was alittle discolartion from the wood tips. the head eventually broke cuz i hit vry hard and it was tuned way to high.

try 'em. you just might really like them!

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Pioneer Member

I just remember buying 5 Aquarian texture coated heads to cover all my toms and snare. EVERY single head lost coating within a few weeks. And they claim they don't do that. I've never seen a Remo head lose coating before though. I do notice they wear out fairly quickly but never have I seen coating actually flying off the drum before. I had Evans heads on my kit for over a year and they never lost any coating whatsoever. Of course I never could get a good sound out of them. So you really have to decide between sound (Remo) or quality (Evans).
Old 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

i quit using remo about 17 years ago and haven't looked back.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblinkhorn View Post
Referring to the OP, why were you using an Emperor on your snare? That would effectively kill the tone.
Not necessarily; I know a jazz drummer who loves these on his 6-1/2x14" Yamaha snare and it sound pretty good! And when I saw that it was an Emperor, I had to take a secongd glance myself.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 11-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
i quit using remo about 17 years ago and haven't looked back.
I tried the Evans heads and thought that they were terrible.

Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Gilded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
for a company that spends millions of dollars designing products, and countless hours testing them, i highly doubt that any of them "suck".
hahahahaha thats so pro man.

Remo doesn't bother me. Sounds fine to me. I've got my snare sooo tight and I smack it often with as much force my left arm can offer me and it has lasted aaaages. No complaints.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM

I know this sounds crazy..but Ambassadors i get the ones with the smaller label. I bought ones with the lager label, the coating comes off easier.

Example: snare and fl tom have the smaller label no chipping...Rack tom has the big label and its chipping. I get another one and I forgot to check the label size (cuz im paranoid like that and thats the only difference i noticed) get home try it out i knew it would flake cuz i could do it with my finger and it had the big label..all i need to do it buy a head with the smaller label for my rack tom to complete my theory!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Well I figure I'll be buying Remo from now on anyway. I'm going to try Renaissance heads all around. Evans does't offer anything like that. The J1s are similar but aren't available for bass drums. Evans seems to be the thing for a modern sound though. But only Remo offers Fiberskyns and Renaissance heads. The problem is that finding these are pretty tough.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
I tried the Evans heads and thought that they were terrible.

Mike
Ah! But he uses Attack! Or Aquarian, I forget.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Remo makes a great head, I used ebony pinstripes for years. I just was never happy with sound. The coated ambassador I had on my wood Ludwig snare lasted quite a while. I still have the clear pinstripe on my steel Pearl snare and I like the sound it gives.
But, for the Ludwig I went with the Evans coated ebony Hydraulic batter and the hazy 300 reso. I has a fast loud pop to it and it really cuts, allmost to loud.

PEARL/ZILDJIAN/EVANS/BROKEN STICKS
Old 11-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Ah! But he uses Attack! Or Aquarian, I forget.
Who uses attack?

Mike

Old 11-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Nickg, the guy you were quoting in your post, making the assumption he was using Evans.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

I just found out, Remo diplomat heads really bring out the tone in a drum. Not sure how they are compared to fiberskyns, but they are definitely what an ambassador should sound like, just not as durable.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Nickg, the guy you were quoting in your post, making the assumption he was using Evans.
nope...been using Attack heads exclusively since 1992.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarDrummer182 View Post
remo sucks, go with evans.
My response before I even got to this one. Total agreement. Hey, that's what free enterprise is all about, the better product wins.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. Thomson View Post
My response before I even got to this one. Total agreement. Hey, that's what free enterprise is all about, the better product wins.
but i thought you HAD to use pearl, zildjian, remo and pro mark to be any good????
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM

i had attack drumheads before i got my remo's and the attack heads just didnt sound right, no matter how i tuned them.

after playing them for almost 4 months, i got a set of remo weather king powerstroke 4's for my birthday, which was about 6 months ago, and im still using them now, they havnt let me down one bit.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:32 AM

When it comes to the tonal qualities of wood each drum is different.

This goes for drums and stringed instruments

Heads and strings are all decent for the most part if you stick with proven manufacturuers. You just have to find what sounds good to your ears for your kit! Those sames heads may not sound good on another kit you own.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Pioneer Member

I haven't played on Remo heads for ages, but thought I should try them again.

I just ordered PS3s for the kick and clear emperors and ambassadors for the toms.

Coated ambasador on the snare.

These will be going on a DW kit.

We'll see.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I haven't played on Remo heads for ages, but thought I should try them again.

I just ordered PS3s for the kick and clear emperors and ambassadors for the toms.

Coated ambasador on the snare.

These will be going on a DW kit.

We'll see.

Let us know how you like them!

Mike

Old 12-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Let us know how you like them!

Mike
Will do. They might end up on a Ludwig kit. It might be a more appropreiate match. Kinda retro, back in the day, or something. If I get bored with the Emps. I might mount some Black Dots while the reso. heads are still crisp.

I played and recorded my DW beater kit today and the EC1s over Resonants sounded really good. I have a set of EC2s and G1s that might go on the DWs.

I dunno. I'm sure the spirit will move me.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Pioneer Member

It's about time for me to look into new heads. I'm also looking into a travel kit as well. I've noticed now that a lot of nice companies are using Evans as stock heads, G1s and such. This has got me interested in them too. However, the only head that seems like I would like it would be the g1 coated. I've had g2s before and didn't like them at all. Very durable yes, but they always had to be retuned. That's why I'm thinking about Remo Coated Emperor heads for the sound, even though the durability may be in question. I find that Evans tend to have that plastic tone though and apparently don't hold their tone well after what I experienced. The EMAD I had too was a waste of money, but if you want a wide open tone with a hard plastic attack get one. If you want durable heads with a 'modern' sound go for Evans. If you want a traditional head go for Remo. If you like to gamble go for Aquarian. :)
Old 12-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
Wow what an educated post. Give me your reasoning. I bet none of it's valid, especially coming from someone with a name such as BoxcarDrummer182. Go play to your Boxcar Racer/Blink 182 tracks and save the responses to forum posters worth a damn.
I actually find it quite ironic, given that Travis Barker (drummer for both bands) is a Remo endorser.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM

I still think Remo has the greatest sounding attack compared to the others and the same qualities for most of the rest of the criteria... They're the standard, they're the typical drumhead sound. Everything else is kind of like...effects. I'm not saying that the other stuff is necessarily bad, it mostly depends on what you're looking for in the sound of your drum. But I go for Remo all the way.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

And so the debate rages on...

I've spent my money on Remo Clear Emperors, Coated Emperors, Clear Ambassadors, Coated Ambassadors, and Fiberskyns. I've gotten them from small local shops, a local national chain, and mail order...all over the place.

My take on Remo quality - not so good. The coated Emps and Ambs sounded horrible on my toms, which surprises me because a lot of folks here seem to like them. They were tuned mid-range...right where I think of as the "sweet spot" on my toms...and they just sounded like paper bags to me; horrible. The clear Emperors aren't so bad as a batter but they're going to take a while to break in, they currently sit on my Ludwig USA Maple kit. All other combinations were used on my DW kit. The Fiberskyns sounded better than any of them, in my opinion, but after playing them for a couple hours everyday, the fiber layer bubbled up and ruined the heads.

In defense of coated ambassadors - they're *great* snare heads and when tuned high, sound great and the coating (mysteriously) seems to last longer. When I used them on toms, the coating started to strip off within the first few minutes of playing.

I tried Evans EC2 over clear G1 on the DW kit...I didn't care for them after using them for a while...and they *sucked* to try to tune well. I can't invest 4 hrs. to tune my kit when any other head takes about an hour...around the whole kit.

In the end, on my DW kit, I went back to the stock heads because all the other aforementioned combinations just didn't sound good. Now I'm looking for new heads and figure it's worth trying Aquarian. I'm thinking of doing Texture coated on the whole kit, snare included...and the classic clear as resos. I hear they have a newer coating method that is extremely durable and sounds good.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Senior Consultant

I just don't know anymore. I play evans on my kit but I played a gig with a set of Tama Starclassics with clear emps on top and ambs on the bottom and it sounded friggin' incredible. Tone, attack, body...all there.

It seems as if Remos sound great when they are right but they have more consistency problems than Evans.

I am seriously considering doing a "head test" in a recording studio just for kicks.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
It seems as if Remos sound great when they are right but they have more consistency problems than Evans.
I agree completely. I love Remo. The problem is its kinda hit or miss on whether or not you can get a good tone from them. Evans' don't quite sound as good as a great Remo head but they are more consistent and more durable.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
My take on Remo quality - not so good. The coated Emps and Ambs sounded horrible on my toms, which surprises me because a lot of folks here seem to like them. They were tuned mid-range...right where I think of as the "sweet spot" on my toms...and they just sounded like paper bags to me; horrible.
I've heard similar comments about the dull papery sound of two ply heads before and this is what I think is happening. Two ply heads seem to need a little more tension than single ply heads. If the head isn't tensioned up enough the plies vibrate against each other and cancels out the sound, so you get a dull papery sound.

When the tension is increased the two plies move together and reflect/direct the sound off the shell and reso head.Not enough tension and the two plies act against each other like under skirt of a Genera or Power Stoke head.

Well, that's my theory.

I have clear Emps. over clear Ambassadors on my Ludwig kit and they sound good. They seem to like being pitched up and produce a nice clear tone. From behind the kit they sound bright and tinney, but when I record them they sound deep and punchey.

Drums seem to sound deeper the further you get away from them. You get more of the fundamental pitch of the heads/shells sans the high pitched over tones.

HTH
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Drums seem to sound deeper the further you get away from them. You get more of the fundamental pitch of the heads/shells sans the high pitched over tones.

HTH
That's because it takes longer for low end frequencies to develop, and once they do fully develop, they are the most penetrating of all frequencies from top to bottom.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

i bought a coated emp for my restored rogers dyna sonic.

couldnt be happier.

kill the reso straight tight and the batter medium high and man i have the true bonham sound

also the head holds up very well.. i am shocked!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34343

Having not realized about this thread please note the above. This is my take....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 AM

I never was a remo fan. I always used Aquarian and loved them, then I got my Ludwig classic maples. I broke down and against my better judgement I bought some remos, and for whatever reason they just do it for my ludwigs (my other set is a tama starclassic birch). I've tried Ambassadors, Emps and Pinstripes, so far all have been ok on my toms except the ambassadors. Though I will have to say the coating on Remo heads is pretty bad it chips away so fast. Anyway just thought I'd throw my thoughts in since I thought I'd quit drumming before I started using remo..lol
Old 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM

smooth white emperors on toms. that is all.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM

I made the switch to Evans years ago and never looked back. Evans heads may dent but they have never broke in the middle of a show. Thats enough for me. Plus they sound better in my opinion. When i was touring all the time i used to replace the snare head before every show, the kick every thrird show, and the toms once a month so the age of the heads were never a factor.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

My most recent coated Ambassador snare head didn't last long. I play lightly - brushes, very light sticks (smaller and lighter than 7As) and mallets. Not often either - we practice once or twice a week and I only play pad at home.

Seven weeks later the centre of the head is smooth, heavily stained and has lost heaps of tone. I've always used Remo but I'm thinking of buying an Evans because a lot of people say they are more durable.

What is the tonal difference between coated Remo and Evans snare heads? Do you think they hold their tone longer?

Thx in advance
Old 07-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
Well I figure I'll be buying Remo from now on anyway. I'm going to try Renaissance heads all around. Evans does't offer anything like that. The J1s are similar but aren't available for bass drums. Evans seems to be the thing for a modern sound though. But only Remo offers Fiberskyns and Renaissance heads. The problem is that finding these are pretty tough.
The Renaissance heads sound sweet on snares IMO

I've never used them on toms through probably wound sound sweet on a jazz kit.

Bonzolead
Old 07-27-2009, 05:03 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
My most recent coated Ambassador snare head didn't last long. I play lightly - brushes, very light sticks (smaller and lighter than 7As) and mallets. Not often either - we practice once or twice a week and I only play pad at home.

Seven weeks later the centre of the head is smooth, heavily stained and has lost heaps of tone. I've always used Remo but I'm thinking of buying an Evans because a lot of people say they are more durable.

What is the tonal difference between coated Remo and Evans snare heads? Do you think they hold their tone longer?

Thx in advance
The head coating is the primary reason I switched from Remo to Evans about three years ago. I usually play lightly too, using brushes and 7A's or Zildjian "Heavy Jazz" sticks. I now find that my batter heads hold-up much better without the premature coating wear. I can't speak of any tonal differences because I really never A/B'ed the different heads at the same time. Tone differences between similar heads from different manufacturers can be greatly compensated for in the tuning process, especially snare heads.

Dennis
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've heard similar comments about the dull papery sound of two ply heads before and this is what I think is happening. Two ply heads seem to need a little more tension than single ply heads. If the head isn't tensioned up enough the plies vibrate against each other and cancels out the sound, so you get a dull papery sound.

When the tension is increased the two plies move together and reflect/direct the sound off the shell and reso head.Not enough tension and the two plies act against each other like under skirt of a Genera or Power Stoke head.

Well, that's my theory.

HTH
I like your theory: I do 2-ply over single on my toms and it works really well, except on my 18" floor tom. It gets that papery sound in spades. Maybe that's been my problem. I'll try a single ply on it and see.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
The head coating is the primary reason I switched from Remo to Evans about three years ago. I usually play lightly too, using brushes and 7A's or Zildjian "Heavy Jazz" sticks. I now find that my batter heads hold-up much better without the premature coating wear.
Thanks Dennis. I was searching the forum about this before posting and found some interesting stuff on the Robert Smith hates Remo thread. People would talk about one sounding better than the other but they didn't go into detail about tonal differences.

A few people have said here a good Remo is better than an Evans, but the latter's durability and consistency is better. I wonder how long my soon-to-be-replaced Ambassador (seemingly one of their lemons) would have lasted in the hands of a metal drummer, given its capitulation to my gentle taps? One bar? :) In the old days I only ever used Remos and in hindsight should have looked around more, maybe they were more consistent in the 80s and 90s?

Definitely trying an Evans next.