Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mild Updates to my Taye Studio Maple

i really like the finish, your setup is cool, because is different
Old 07-30-2007, 08:40 AM

How do you like the Axis pedals?

Also I play open like you do... although I am right handed... but I would suggest trying your ride out on the right side... or getting another one for the right side. Maybe your hands are even already, but I know for me it's really helped bring my left hand up to speed (because my right hand was the one doing all of the complicated snare stuff). You might not have this problem, but it's something to think about! (I personally want to get another ride and put it where you have yours, just to try that out.)
Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Being a lefty my left hand has never really been a problem... I tried a true right handed setup but I've found it's more comfortable where it's at. =)
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Being a lefty my left hand has never really been a problem... I tried a true right handed setup but I've found it's more comfortable where it's at. =)
I'm right-handed, but I play open, with left hand on hats and ride and right hand on snare. To me, it is the most natural way to play. The idea of putting the ride on the right seems odd - you'd have to cross your hands to play ride! People rarely ever cross their hands to do anything: eat, drive, type, use tools, play other instruments, etc.

Or you'd have to learn ride patterns with your left and right hand and shift your hand function. That would be good if you're seeking ambidexterity, but if not, it would just horrendously complicate playing.

I play with my right (dominant) hand on the snare and the snare is the heart of the drum set. To me, people who play crossed are the ones playing left-handed!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Or you'd have to learn ride patterns with your left and right hand and shift your hand function. That would be good if you're seeking ambidexterity
Right... this is what I do, simply because it forces me to develop both of my hands. For people who are better disciplined than me, this might not be necessary.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superporpoise View Post
Right... this is what I do, simply because it forces me to develop both of my hands. For people who are better disciplined than me, this might not be necessary.
Our of curiousity, have you ever played ride with the left hand? I've heard some people don't like the ride on the left because it doesn't "look" right. But it sounds like your reasons for keeping the ride on the right have more to do with training.