DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM

Default how many of you have giged with an electronic kit ??

Ok I have had a crap couple of weeks since getting my new Mapex KIt and have decided to sell her :( as I have had complaints from neighbours and massive falling out with many of them :( also I am moving to America so decided it would be easier to sell than take with me and when I move I don't want a repeat of this.
so she is on ebay as we speak .....and I am going to get a roland TD-3KW or TD-6KW....NOw the thing is I was wondering if gigging with this is possible or even practical??

I dont have the skill yet to play in a band, but when I do am I going to be able to use this ? or is it another acoustic kit.

so can I have opinions on this please
regards
A J
Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: how many of you have giged with an electronic kit ??

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't sell! Wouldn't it cost just as much to ship them compared to buying a electro kit? Plus since your moving over to our side of the pond, its cheap to get a air-conditioned storage shed to keep them in. Then, when you find a band, you guys can practice there. Hell, the housing market is really good over here right now, maybe you can buy a house. I hate to hear that someone is getting rid of thier kit.

I understand if you want to get rid of them. But, I would suggest not doing so. You might regret it.

Last edited by That Guy; 07-04-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Pioneer Member

I gig with my e-drums all the time.
I have a three piece Rocktronica/Techno/Dance band that I play with in dance clubs around the city that e-drums are pretty much needed for.
And depending on the music, that I go on tour for, I always take at least two e-pads .
So.....yes, anything is possible.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM

oohhhh noooooo please DO NOT gig with edrums, it's just so weird! i just saw this strange band and the drummer was using an e-kit ... a keyboard playing some beat would have been as good!
ship them or buy them in the us and put pads on everything so that they don't annoy any neighbours, but please no edrums!
Old 07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

I own both, and gig with whatever fills the needs of the gig. I've done gigs with just my SPD-S, with a hybrid kit or with acoustic drums.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

giging with an ekit can be just as good if you have the right sounds programed into it, theres a reason why the edrums are becoming more popular. i would say buy them, it would be a fresh new start, and would be much better for practicing, plus a much wider range of music can be played on an e-kit. but once you start playing live, an acoustic kit might be considered a little more "hip", well, at least from a drummers point of view.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:41 AM

I have both acoustic and electronic drums...I gig heavily with both. However, I have made more money than I ever thought I would with the electronics (Roland TD-3). Simply amazing...get a good amp, and you are good to go.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:49 PM

I gig with my Roland V's all the time. It's actually really nice to be able to unload a folded rack (the cables stay on mine), a box full of pads and pedals, and your throne, set up, plug in, and start playing.

On that note, if gigging with e's is something you're looking at, I would encourage you to look at the amount of breaking down you do, and to devise a regular method of packing and transporting them. It's the same idea as with acoustics (cases, hardware bag/case, etc), but you'll find that with a little thought, you can end up making 2 trips instead of 20.

I find myself using the electric drums for things like coffeeshop gigs, and other smaller venues. Sure, I could play with cool rods or just hit lighter, but I really enjoy being able to turn a volume knob up and down just like the guitarist, and then play the same way I normally would.

For larger venues or outdoor events, it's acoustics all the way for me. Part of this is preference, and part of it has to do with the sound system requirements for an e-kit to sound good. Unfortunately the venues I play tend to have sub-par systems at best, and thus I lose a lot of potential sound if I'm playing the e-kit. Playing an acoustic kit at least guarantees me that the audience can hear it (somewhat).

edit: I will say that even today, audiences are very used to seeing an acoustic kit. I get no end of questions when I play out on my e's. =-) From an audience member's perspective, I have to admit that it is much more entertaining to see swinging cymbals and the lights flashing off of a drum kit. Mostly though, if you're laying down the groove, most people couldn't care less what you're doing it on.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 PM

I gigged with electronic drums for well over a decade. I won't even touch them now. More "cons" than "pros" when gigging, especially when touring.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Guinness

I never have, but my first experience will be coming on August 4th. I own a Yamaha DTX Express III that I use for practice and recording purposes with my band. We are going to record a live show at this particular gig and it's a hell of lot easier to get the appropriate levels using this kit. I personally dislike electronic drums when playing with a band. It's impossible to "dig" into the drums and get a deep groove rut started or at least it feels that way to me. Even when recording I dislike playing them, but the play back always seems to sound good once mastered. I told my band I would do it once and I'm a man of my word. It's hard to replace a good maple acoustic set when it comes to tone, feel and dynamics (especially with cymbals). That's the kind of guy I am....taking one for the band :-)