DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Default Re: New! Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz & Supraphonic

Hey everybody!

First of all, congrats Rob on the purchase. I just picked up one of these kits over memorial day for the ridiculous price of $350! It was being beat up by all of the wankers that shop there on a regular basis. I felt that it was my "duty" to save the little guy.

So I changed the tom and bass drum heads and added a Ludwig Acrolite snare that I bought for 20 bucks last week. Sounds great though. So far I have played a lot of gigs with the kit. From straight ahead in a quartet to a 9 hour(?) wedding reception with a 6 piece band, to a pop country gig to a Tower of Power/Chicago style 13 piece group. What can I say but this kit can hang in any situation. I ported the bass drum head for mic situations. That paid off immensely. the kit sounds great miked up. I have only put coated 1 ply heads on the toms so far, but that appears to be all that I need. The projection is fine even without being miked. The floor tom sounds awesome with coateds on both sides, and I like the rack tom with the standard coated and clear combination. I also recommend liberating the rack tom by taking the mount out of the bass drum and clamping it onto a cymbal stand/ It seems to make both drums sustain a bit more of course.

I look forward to hearing you play your new cymbals and hearing you play the kit with your tuning. The drums are very sensitive to the environment that you have them in. Sometimes the 12" tom makes the snares buzz like crazy and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't had a ton of luck with the stock snare, though. Oh well, I guess that's why my little acrolite will work for this kit. Let me know if anyone here has gotten that Catalina snare to sound great.

Sorry to ramble so much, I just wanted to throw my .02 in and keep this nice thread moving.

Rob I enjoy your posts and your great playing that Brad transcribed on your site. Your enthusiasm is very inspirational.

Later,

Terry
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I tune it fairly tight, with the resonant higher than the bottom higher than the top. I find the tighter the bottom head, the better the tone I get, but I like the tone of higher tensioned drums anyway.
How many half turns on the reso and batter?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyepanda View Post
How many half turns on the reso and batter?
I honestly don't count. Any number I gave anyway could be different than what your drums might need.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Hey everybody!

First of all, congrats Rob on the purchase. I just picked up one of these kits over memorial day for the ridiculous price of $350! It was being beat up by all of the wankers that shop there on a regular basis. I felt that it was my "duty" to save the little guy.

So I changed the tom and bass drum heads and added a Ludwig Acrolite snare that I bought for 20 bucks last week. Sounds great though. So far I have played a lot of gigs with the kit. From straight ahead in a quartet to a 9 hour(?) wedding reception with a 6 piece band, to a pop country gig to a Tower of Power/Chicago style 13 piece group. What can I say but this kit can hang in any situation. I ported the bass drum head for mic situations. That paid off immensely. the kit sounds great miked up. I have only put coated 1 ply heads on the toms so far, but that appears to be all that I need. The projection is fine even without being miked. The floor tom sounds awesome with coateds on both sides, and I like the rack tom with the standard coated and clear combination. I also recommend liberating the rack tom by taking the mount out of the bass drum and clamping it onto a cymbal stand/ It seems to make both drums sustain a bit more of course.

I look forward to hearing you play your new cymbals and hearing you play the kit with your tuning. The drums are very sensitive to the environment that you have them in. Sometimes the 12" tom makes the snares buzz like crazy and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't had a ton of luck with the stock snare, though. Oh well, I guess that's why my little acrolite will work for this kit. Let me know if anyone here has gotten that Catalina snare to sound great.

Sorry to ramble so much, I just wanted to throw my .02 in and keep this nice thread moving.

Rob I enjoy your posts and your great playing that Brad transcribed on your site. Your enthusiasm is very inspirational.

Later,

Terry
Terry, thanks so much! You're very kind. I am running the floor tom with coated g1's both sides. I have new heads coming in, so I'll be putting coated heads both sides on the 12 as well although I did consider going clear on the 12 reso. We'll see if that's what it needs. Right now I'm not micing so I don't need to cut a hole and I'm pretty happy with the bass sound.

The cymbals came in, along with my new DW Pedal and Flat based stands. I made a new thread for the cymbals and that has some audio and new pictures http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28728
Old 07-09-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't count. Any number I gave anyway could be different than what your drums might need.
True, it's just tuning is frustrating me. And I pretty much read/saw many things on how to tune drums. Definitely my weakest side on drums.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
True, it's just tuning is frustrating me. And I pretty much read/saw many things on how to tune drums. Definitely my weakest side on drums.
What is wrong with how it sounds now? It took me a while, and still takes me a while to be decent at tuning. I learned to not be afraid to tune higher than i think I should.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Too much ring. I think I should try going higher.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 PM

Amazing kit. Love the finish too.

Btw. Has anyone played the Catalina Club Mod, or heard anything about it? I'm very interested in this kit and I'm looking into picking one up.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Too much ring. I think I should try going higher.
What kind of drum is it, and what heads do you have on there now? What kind of tone are you looking for? Going higher I find dries out the drum a bit, and shortens the sustain, but if you're talking about overtones ringing, it won't help it too much.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 AM

Rob! Nice set! But man, you write so much stuff! Your replies are sooooo long(not that its a bad thing though)
Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
What kind of drum is it, and what heads do you have on there now? What kind of tone are you looking for? Going higher I find dries out the drum a bit, and shortens the sustain, but if you're talking about overtones ringing, it won't help it too much.
I forgot the link of the site, but i saw in one of your post you were listening to samples of the catalina and a maple jazz. I want the sound of the toms of the catalina on that site.

My drums are some old generic brand drums. I think they're 60's or 70s. U.S. Mercury drums.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I forgot the link of the site, but i saw in one of your post you were listening to samples of the catalina and a maple jazz. I want the sound of the toms of the catalina on that site.

My drums are some old generic brand drums. I think they're 60's or 70s. U.S. Mercury drums.
Well that could be part of your problem. If they're just a generic brand, who knows the quality of the shells. Unless you try different heads, you may not be able to tune the ring out.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 AM

There' s no problems with the shells, smooth bearings (no nicks), no warping. I have ambassadors top and bottom. And wood is probably mahog
Old 08-14-2007, 07:39 PM

So how much was this kit?

And how long did it take for the drum set to arrive?

By teh way, it looks amazing!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance69 View Post
So how much was this kit?

And how long did it take for the drum set to arrive?

By teh way, it looks amazing!
I'm actually selling this kit, just the Catalina with stock snare and some Yamaha hardware, Pearl Eliminator and Pearl Hi-hat. I'll be posting it soon.. I replaced it with a Gretsch New Classic and Gretsch Hammered Black Chrome Snare (pics and thread soon).

I bought the Catalina itself with no hardware for $600 and it took just a few days to get here. The Supraphonic was $350, and again took only a few days.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:05 AM

How much are you selling it?
Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
How much are you selling it?
I'm thinking $650 + Shipping. That's for the shell pack plus a Yamaha 700 snare stand, straight stand, boom stand, a Pearl H-1000K Hi-hat and a Pearl Eliminator Strap Drive Single Pedal.

The Supra would be $280.