DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM
fourstringdrums

Default New! Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz & Supraphonic

Well they finally arrived, my Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz along with a 2007 Ludwig Supraphonic with Tube Lugs. All I'm waiting on now are my Gretsch Flush Base cymbal and snare stands, DW Flush Base hi-hat stand, and DW Delta 3 Nylon Strap Bass Pedal. They'll be here Thursday and Friday.

First I'll talk about the Catalina:

First the looks: This is my second Catalina set; my first was the Birch model. Once again, I'm amazed at the quality of these drums for the money. Actually, I think I this set is just alittle bit nicer. I definately prefer a wrap to a Lacquer, that's for sure. There is just something so classy about it, and this finish is no exception. The pictures don't do it justice. The bearing edges are FLAWLESS, and unless I'm incorrect, they seem to be more rounded over than on my Catalina Birch set. Even the bass drum hoops are a thing of beauty with how the outer edge of the hoop is rounded over, very sleek.

In regards to the hardware, everything seems to be very solid, from the bass drum riser, to the tom mount, although I did have a few issues. While I was setting up the bass, both the riser bolts and the drum keys screws for the bass drum spurs slipped, which I'm attributing to the fact that I probably didn't tighten them enough, but it still surprised me. Also, and this is both a negative and a positive. the RIMS mount on the 12" tom is different than the RIMS that come on the other Catalina sets and Renowns in that, those mounts connected at I believe 4 lugs. This mount connects at only two lugs, and then there is a rubber stopper that rests against the drum to keep it balanced. This is a good thing because the mount is very low mass, even in the way it is shaped. I'd say it's "vintage" in its styling. I always hated the fact that Gretsch's RIMS mounts were HUGE, not the case with this mount. The problem though is that because the drum is only held at two points, you can tilt the drum while it's on the mount and that makes positioning a bit of a pain. Normally I would hold on to the rim of the drum while I make adjustments, but if I do, the drum tilts in the RIMS, so I have to hold on to the L-arm on the tom mount instead. It wasn't a big deal once I got used to it, but annoying still. The tom holder itself is nice. It's very vintage its styling as well, and doesn't get in the way visually. Even the adjustment wing nut is styled to be more old school looking. Oh and going back to the drum riser: I believe it was mentioned here that some had problems with it because the beater had to travel alittle farther to reach the head. That is true, but in my personal case, I always had a hard time not burying the beater when my leg tensed up involuntarily. Because I have to go just alittle farther to hit the head, the chances of me accidentally laying the beater into the head goes away because with this design, the beater is usually off the head no matter what. I can see how people who like to bury the beater would get annoyed by this, but it works fine for me.

Sound wise, these drums are everything I was wanting. The toms are very (to me) old school sounding. Very warm, with a hint of natural overtone control and roundness. I do have them tuned up rather high, pretty much jazz range, and I'm still trying to tweak the floor tom to possibly bring it down a bit, but with the stock resonant head, it's alittle tougher to do right now. But where it's currently tuned is amazing. It's honestly beautiful sounding. The 8x12 tom is incredible. I've always hated 12" toms because they sounded out of place next to a 14" tom, which I like, and I could never tune them so they didn't sound choked. Not the case with this tom. It blends perfectly with the 14" and tunes up very nicely. The bass drum is something I am still going to be tweaking for a while, just to make sure I get all I can out of it, but at the moment with the stock pre-muffled heads, it's beautiful. It took me a while to tweak it and realize that had to tune the resonant head alot higher than I would think I should, but so far it's got honestly as much punch as my 22" with just a hint of resonance and tone without being boomy. I'd like it to be a tiny bit more open sounding, so I'll probably start by putting on an Evans EQ1. It's pre-muffled too but the muffle ring is narrower, so that will open up the sound a bit. I may also put a Remo Fiberskyn and just leave the drum open, but I do like the Gretsch Logo head, so I'm not sure about that. I probably am not going to cut a hole in the head. I've always preferred solid bass drums as I felt that I got the most tone and volume, but we'll see. I'm just afraid that with a hole in the head, I'll have all attack and no tone, especially where I don't hit very hard. Oh yes...the snare. It's a stock snare, there's not much I can say about it. It does sound very good though for a stock snare, probably the best one I've had even compared to my Catalina Birch snare which I hated. It tunes up nicely, and with a real resonant head I'm sure it will be better. But it just lacks any presence and character, so it's nothing worth writing home about. But if it was the only snare I had to use I'd be very happy. Fortunately I have...

The Supra! What can I say, it's a Supra! It tuned up in about 30 seconds, and has a nice old school tone to it. Plenty of crack and sensitivity and sounds like it was made to be on this kit. I was going to buy an Evans Resonant and try an extra J1 Etched I have on it, but I may just leave the Ludwig heads, it sounds that good. There was just one thing I wanted to mention. I noticed that the inside of the shell has spots of blue tinged discoloration, and I wasn't sure if that was normal. Just curious on that.

So I absolutely love this kit. It's exactly the sound and vibe I've been looking for. Even my Bosphorus Turks feel right at home on it where as on other sets I've had they felt like an old school cymbal on a modern kit, and they were out of place, if that makes any sense.

So, enough of my blabbing and on to the pictures! I'll post some new ones once all the hardware shows up.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: New! Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz & Supraphonic

Amazing! If someone is checking out this drum set, you definitely would convince to get them!

I remember I was in the market for a Catalina Jazz. Can't wait for the new pics!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:49 AM

I love these little kits, almost got one, great sound. fantastic bass drum especially considering its size. From what i've seen i think a big bass drum sound from a little bass drum appears to be a gretsch characteristic. very nice kit

my band - http://www.myspace.com/thelastdisco
Old 07-04-2007, 09:08 AM

Really striking contrast between those dark Turk beauties and the white wrap.

Nice kit.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 AM

looks great man 202020202020
Old 07-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice Rob. Real nice... Have never not owned a Gretsch!?
Old 07-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Well done Rob.

You have surpassed yourself again!!!

You have utterly convinced me that moving to a four piece was the right thing to do.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Just seeing that kit visually takes me back numbers of years. I don't know why, it just has a very vintage look to it. Looks awsome man, I'm glad you got what you wanted. How about adding a little 8 inch splash for flare?
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
nhzoso

Very nice Rob, Glad your happy with it. I will check inside my supra to see about the bluing but I don't recall seeing any. Then again mine is a 1972 model so maybe it's covered with some new color. How do you find the tuning between the die cast hoops and the triple flanged, is it a big difference?

I can't wait to get my new (to me) renowns next week ; )

Congrats again Bro
Old 07-04-2007, 03:57 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
Have never not owned a Gretsch!?
He had a Yamaha oak Custom and a PDP in white...but then just Gretsch kits. =)
Looks so awesome Rob. I think you did a right decision, I was just a bit sceptical. I don`t doubt that it sounds amazing and vintage. Also, if you love it it is perfect!!
Congrats to the kit...

oh, and I`m not sure about the spots in the snare drum...can you maybe take some pics of it? Is it "in" the metal or just on the metal?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Very nice Rob, Glad your happy with it. I will check inside my supra to see about the bluing but I don't recall seeing any. Then again mine is a 1972 model so maybe it's covered with some new color. How do you find the tuning between the die cast hoops and the triple flanged, is it a big difference?

I can't wait to get my new (to me) renowns next week ; )

Congrats again Bro
I'll show it to you when you come to pick up the Renowns. I haven't taken the head off to inspect it yet so who knows what it is. Regardless it sounds amazing. How do I find the tuning...well I think I have alittle easier time tuning the triple flanged, but then again I just started using the "two key" method, so that might make a difference. At this point I guess I don't really notice a difference. The triple flanged definately makes the drum lighter. My Catalina snare weighs half as much as the Renown. Feel wise, I prefer the triple flanged. The response feels more "natural" to me, if that makes any sense.

That Guy - I do have a 9" Bosphorus Turk Splash that I was considering adding, but I don't use it all that much, so I didn't know if I was going to keep it or sell it. I have to get something to hold it anyway and find a good place to put it. I don't want to ruin the flow I have going on :)

Latin Groover - Karl is correct. This is my 3rd Gretsch kit. I had the Maple Renowns (well still do but they're going to Nhzoso sometime next week), and then Catalina Birch. But before that I had Pacific CX, Yamaha Oak Customs, Yamaha Stage Customs, Tama Rockstar Custom, Ludwig Rocker, and a lousy Sunlite kit. So I HAVE lived with Gretsch, but whenever I think I'm going to try something different, I always go back..and they're the brand I've been most loyally to next to Yamaha...but Yamaha is too darn expensive :)

Any thoughts on the bass drum? I'm definately putting an Evans EQ4 because it had a variable size overtone ring depending on the size of the head. I feel the one on there now is too large for this size drum. Then I was thinking of trying a Remo Fiberskyn 3. I think the fact that it's medium weight will give it the openess I'm looking for, but still retain some overtone control and punch. I'm going to buy two and cut a hole in one just to see. I usually don't buy multiple heads to try out but I don't want to love the Fiberskyn sound with a solid head, cut a hole in it, ruin it and then I have to buy another one anyway. Right now there is more resonance off the batter head than the front. I think the overtone ring + coating of the front head kills most of the resonance.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Oh man. That looks beautiful, Rob. Very classy -- the contrast between the Turks and the White Marine finish is superb.

What exactly are you looking for in the sound of your bass drum? Do you want more of a punchy thud, or a softer, warm tone? From the sound of it, it seems like you would prefer a warmer sound. Maybe a Fiberskyn or J1 over an EQ? A thinner batter with an overtone ring on the resonant would probably give you a rich, warm tone that wouldn't ring excessively.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:51 PM
Jusstickinaround

Congrats on the kit, I told you it had a vintage sound, I loved those toms. I also love the look of your cymbals, how do they sound? Can they be used for rock music and are they expensive? I may have to look into those Bosphorus.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Hmm, they must be good if you gave up a line 2 or 3 steps higher for these.

Nice kit.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Oh man. That looks beautiful, Rob. Very classy -- the contrast between the Turks and the White Marine finish is superb.

What exactly are you looking for in the sound of your bass drum? Do you want more of a punchy thud, or a softer, warm tone? From the sound of it, it seems like you would prefer a warmer sound. Maybe a Fiberskyn or J1 over an EQ? A thinner batter with an overtone ring on the resonant would probably give you a rich, warm tone that wouldn't ring excessively.
I'm looking I guess for a warm punchy sound with a hint of fundamental tone. I recorded the bass today and I think it's pretty close to what I want, I'm just going to put on an EQ4 on the batter and start with that. For the style I play I think that would be the best. I wasn't too happy with my playing so I'll re-record and retune the floor tom (I did it really quickly) and put something up. Honestly if I didn't know what size bass it was, I wouldn't think by the sound that it was an 18". It to me sounds just as punchy as my 20" or 22" Gretsch.

SmoothJazz - Yes, they're technically a "lower" model, but they're just so different in compared to the Renowns with the woods, the bearing edge, the wrap, the hoops, and still really great quality, that I have a hard time saying "I gave up a higher end kit for these". Honestly if they were to take the Renowns, put a wrap instead of a lacquer and put on triple flanged hoops, the price would come down considerably. That's really what you're paying for..and those things don't add up to the look or the sound I like. Yeah the quality might be a tad better with the Renowns, but you'd be hard pressed to be tell the difference honestly. The other aspect is the silver sealer paint on the Renowns...I honestly didn't hear anything that told me that that made a difference.

Juststickinaround - The cymbals sound great. Dark and dry, but I think pretty versatile. They're great for jazz, funk, even rock. They are dark, but they cut through in their own way because of the darkness. I don't think you'd be able to play in a super loud rock setting, but I thought I saw you play classic rock? That should be fine. Go to www.cymbalsonly.com and listen to under the Turk series, 14" Light/Crisp Hi-hat, 19" Thin Ride and 20" Medium Ride. They're not my exact cymbals but they sound pretty close. Again I'll have to get up some audio. They weren't that expensive...I'd say on with Sabian's prices for HH and HHX but I haven't compared the prices in a while.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 AM

I went to guitar center today and I finally had the pleasure to try out this club jazz.

AMAZING!
I haven't had this much fun on a kit in a while.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:46 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyepanda View Post
I went to guitar center today and I finally had the pleasure to try out this club jazz.

AMAZING!
I haven't had this much fun on a kit in a while.
Yeah I'm really enjoying it. The tom sound is exactly what I was looking for in terms of overall tone and sustain (or lack of, atleast the way I tune them), and the bass drum sounds like a much bigger drum. I'm tuning it for more of a funk punch, and I'd put it up against the 20's and 22's I've owned and it would win because it has the punch but lacks the boomy resonance which I hated.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
fourstringdrums

Coming shortly to add to the kit: A new set of mixed Bosphorus, which means my Turks will be up for sale.

Stay tuned! :)
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Coming shortly to add to the kit: A new set of mixed Bosphorus, which means my Turks will be up for sale.

to be honest, I don't like the sound of turks very much. but they're so beautiful...
Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
to be honest, I don't like the sound of turks very much. but they're so beautiful...
I like the sound of the turks, but I'm wanting something a tad brighter and more traditional sounding. The darkness of the turks are great, but not all the time.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

JAW.
DROPPING.

Rob, a little piece of me just died.
But hey, it's the sound you want -- so go for it. I do hope that the Turks will go to a good home. And by the way, I'm going to estimate that by the beginning of August, I'll be buying those 12" hats off of you.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
JAW.
DROPPING.

Rob, a little piece of me just died.
But hey, it's the sound you want -- so go for it. I do hope that the Turks will go to a good home. And by the way, I'm going to estimate that by the beginning of August, I'll be buying those 12" hats off of you.
I sent you a PM about the 12" hats.

I love the Turks, but want something a bit more vintage sounding and I've also been wanting a 15" set of hi-hats and a 19" Ride with still a great crash sound, but with alittle bit more dry clarity. My larger ride as well, I've wanted to try a 21" again, and have something with more of a dry crash sound, but still with a clear bell and articulate stick definition that blends, but still is in contrast to the first ride.

I'll post pics when they get here Monday (along with the rest of my hardware), but Tony just shipped today:

15" Masters Hi-hat 1045/1270g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B...s10451270p.mp3

19" Antique Thin Ride 1723g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B.../19at1723k.mp3

21" New Orleans Ride 2217g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B.../21no2217k.mp3
Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Congrats on the Gretsch set Rob! I really love the finish on those beauties. Can't wait to see your new pies.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 07-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I sent you a PM about the 12" hats.

I love the Turks, but want something a bit more vintage sounding and I've also been wanting a 15" set of hi-hats and a 19" Ride with still a great crash sound, but with alittle bit more dry clarity. My larger ride as well, I've wanted to try a 21" again, and have something with more of a dry crash sound, but still with a clear bell and articulate stick definition that blends, but still is in contrast to the first ride.

I'll post pics when they get here Monday (along with the rest of my hardware), but Tony just shipped today:

15" Masters Hi-hat 1045/1270g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B...s10451270p.mp3

19" Antique Thin Ride 1723g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B.../19at1723k.mp3

21" New Orleans Ride 2217g - http://www.cymbalsonly.com/cymbals/B.../21no2217k.mp3
Hm... interesting combos. The NO Ride was by far my favorite to listen to.. very smoky wash. I definitely dig that. The Masters are an interesting choice, that shup has got a lot of breath to it, if you catch my meaning. I'm not sure on that Antique.. I can't really make heads or tails if I like it or not. But mainly, I'm most interested in why you chose these.. other than the sizes, what do you feel compliments your playing style with these cymbals?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:22 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Hm... interesting combos. The NO Ride was by far my favorite to listen to.. very smoky wash. I definitely dig that. The Masters are an interesting choice, that shup has got a lot of breath to it, if you catch my meaning. I'm not sure on that Antique.. I can't really make heads or tails if I like it or not. But mainly, I'm most interested in why you chose these.. other than the sizes, what do you feel compliments your playing style with these cymbals?
I'll just post my conversation with him: His response is in red:

I'm thinking about trying a new set of cymbals. I love the Turks, but I'm just curious as to what else is out there. As you know, I play Funk and Jazz based stuff mostly and I'm looking for something more vintage and traditional sounding, with a bit more trashy character to it...so I'm thinking the New Orleans series, but if there is something else that may fit, you point me in that direction.

The New Orleans would be a good way to go, as would the Antiques. In terms of "vintage" tone, these (along with the traditionals) are very hard to beat. They sound like much older cymbals, and whenever someone says vintage, I immediately start thinking about these, or a combination. Don't be afraid to mix and match them to get the exact sounds you want...

Hats - I love Steve Jordan, and love the fact that he uses larger hi-hats. They just blend in more with the set I think because they're fatter sounding, and depending on the size can be a bit more subtle. So I'm thinking of a light pair of 15"'s. I want to be able to lay into them without them barking back, especially when played open, instead they should just be a softer support of sound. I was thinking of the 15" New Orleans 960/1121g, but what else would you recommend that you have in stock?

These 15 NOs are absolutely wonderful! They play exactly as you describe...soft support is the key phrase here. The other pairs that I could recommend with a similar tone and feel would be the 15" masters. These play and sound nearly identically to the NOs, with the only difference being that the NOs are a tad more "open" sounding. The Masters are just a little bit drier - not much, but a little. Both of these get my highest recommendations fr the tne and feel you're looking for.

Ride #1 - This ride would be used mainly for crashing, but I still want it to have an articulate stick sound, and clear bell. Sometimes I feel like my 19" Thin is too washy and not articulate enough in the bell as a ride, but as a crash it's great. I'm wanting something that will provide the articulate ride surface and bell sound, but still have a crash sound that you wouldn't expect from a ride per say. I'm thinking a 19" New Orleans Ride 1825g.

This 19 crashes a little on the heavy side, so based on your description, I would feel more comfortable recommending something like the Antique 19s. Those ride well, with nice articulation, especially the 1723, and crash just as beautifully. I think you might be disappointed with the 19 NO because it plays kinda heavy. I dunno, that's just my thinking, especially if you want crashability.

Ride #2 - Something that is a good companion to the 19", but has it's own character. I obviously don't want them sounding the same, just a different pitch. Again, a clear bell and articulate stick definition, definately a dry sound is what I'm looking for here. I'm thinking a 21" New Orleans Ride 2217g.

Wonderful choice! She's relatively dry, great stick, clear bell, and would make for an excellent combination/contrast to the 19 Antique or even one of those 19 traditionals! Don't rule out those 19 trads - that 1688 is a beautiful piece as well.

That's it. Again, if there is another series, size or weight that you think will fit the bill that you have in stock, let me know. I have a week to try them right?

I hope I didn't throw too many choices at you! Yes, you have a week to try them, but the goal is to get the perfect ones on the first try.

T

----

So I basically went with his suggestions. In regards to the hats, it was a toss between the Masters and the NO, and I opted for the Masters because he said they were drier, which is what I'd prefer. I went with the Antique Ride over the Masters because it had a drier sound, with brighter articulation, and I went with the NO Ride because that's what I was originally thinking of and he confirmed it.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:57 AM
Silver Member

Interesting. I definitely figured you for going to the NO line, but I had almost thought you would have gone for the Stanton sig Fat Hats or some Traditional light rides. Tony is definitely a guru when it comes to Bosphorus, so I trust that he can choose the best cymbal to suit your needs.

By the way, that 'secret weapon' I snagged off of eBay should be arriving sometime next week. ;)

Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 AM

Great kit...we have one at our school and I know what you mean when you talk about the sound of the toms. I would buy this kit if I was in need of a new one.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 AM

Tight set up you got. I'm itchin' for an 18" bass drum and a supra myself. Also beautiful cymbals collection both old and new, I'm a Bos. man myself, and i'm getting a similar setup with NO and Antique rides. I looked into getting those exact hats from Tony but found the Masters too mushy for my tastes and opted for the 15" Antiques.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porker69 View Post
Tight set up you got. I'm itchin' for an 18" bass drum and a supra myself. Also beautiful cymbals collection both old and new, I'm a Bos. man myself, and i'm getting a similar setup with NO and Antique rides. I looked into getting those exact hats from Tony but found the Masters too mushy for my tastes and opted for the 15" Antiques.
Mushy is what I'm looking for I guess you could say *lol* For a long time now I've wanted something that sat into the sound of the kit lower and blended with it. I've always felt like the hi-hat sound sticks out too much instead of supporting the rest of the kit. But, this will be my first set of 15's so we'll see. Worse case scenario, I don't like them, send them back and try something else.

Kung_f00 - What is it about the NO line that you didn't figure me for? I really enjoy the articulate dry, with a slight trashy edge. The bell especially is very clear sounding. .
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 AM

Thats cool, the masters sound great, but I like a good hi hat presence that has a nice cut.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Mushy is what I'm looking for I guess you could say *lol* For a long time now I've wanted something that sat into the sound of the kit lower and blended with it. I've always felt like the hi-hat sound sticks out too much instead of supporting the rest of the kit. But, this will be my first set of 15's so we'll see. Worse case scenario, I don't like them, send them back and try something else.

Kung_f00 - What is it about the NO line that you didn't figure me for? I really enjoy the articulate dry, with a slight trashy edge. The bell especially is very clear sounding. .
No no, I think you misunderstood, and I wasn't clear enough. I actually think you would do well with the NO line. I would have figured you might have gone for at Traditional crash/ride rather than the Antique line. I think the 21" NO was a great purchase, but I guess I'll have to hear that Antique when you get it on your kit.

Not to live vicariously through you, but if those 15" Masters aren't to your liking, you might want to consider the Stanton sig Fat Hats. Had I not found my 14" Trads for such a bargain, I would have gone with the Fat Hats instead.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:48 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
No no, I think you misunderstood, and I wasn't clear enough. I actually think you would do well with the NO line. I would have figured you might have gone for at Traditional crash/ride rather than the Antique line. I think the 21" NO was a great purchase, but I guess I'll have to hear that Antique when you get it on your kit.

Not to live vicariously through you, but if those 15" Masters aren't to your liking, you might want to consider the Stanton sig Fat Hats. Had I not found my 14" Trads for such a bargain, I would have gone with the Fat Hats instead.
Oh ok, I misread it. Are you still unsure what it is about the Antique that you're not quite in love with? If the 15's aren't to my liking, I'll try another series, same size. From what I've heard I don't think any 14's will offer what I'm looking for, just because of the size.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Oh ok, I misread it. Are you still unsure what it is about the Antique that you're not quite in love with? If the 15's aren't to my liking, I'll try another series, same size. From what I've heard I don't think any 14's will offer what I'm looking for, just because of the size.
I don't know.. something about the Antiques doesn't really do it for me. I still can't pinpoint it, but still.. I think you should be the final judge. I look forward to seeing/hearing them at the beginning of next week. And don't let my comments sway you.. like I said, Tony knows what you want, and I'm sure he's hooked you up with a great cymbal.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I don't know.. something about the Antiques doesn't really do it for me. I still can't pinpoint it, but still.. I think you should be the final judge. I look forward to seeing/hearing them at the beginning of next week. And don't let my comments sway you.. like I said, Tony knows what you want, and I'm sure he's hooked you up with a great cymbal.
I always hate recording myself to show people a representation of the cymbals, I feel like my digicam does a terrible job.

I was originally thinking of a 19" NO Ride as I said, but he felt that it played alittle too heavy, and that's not really what I'm looking for. The Antique is brighter than my Turk now and has a bit more high end, but I think that's what I'm missing to an extent.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I always hate recording myself to show people a representation of the cymbals, I feel like my digicam does a terrible job.

I was originally thinking of a 19" NO Ride as I said, but he felt that it played alittle too heavy, and that's not really what I'm looking for. The Antique is brighter than my Turk now and has a bit more high end, but I think that's what I'm missing to an extent.
I agree.. the Turk is much heavier and darker than the Antique, and the New Orleans probably wouldn't have suited you any better as a ride/crash. I dunno... some of the Masters and Trad 19s I heard had such a nice smoky wash/sustain but maintained a bright enough sticking..that was the reasoning behind my eBay purchase. I figured one of those would have been more up your alley.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I agree.. the Turk is much heavier and darker than the Antique, and the New Orleans probably wouldn't have suited you any better as a ride/crash. I dunno... some of the Masters and Trad 19s I heard had such a nice smoky wash/sustain but maintained a bright enough sticking..that was the reasoning behind my eBay purchase. I figured one of those would have been more up your alley.
Well to my ears, the NO ride I bought has a very good crash sound for a main ride. I wanted my first ride which I use mostly as a crash to have a more high end, not so dark crash sound but still remain articulate as a ride. I think these should fit the bill. But if not then I'll look into a Trad or Masters at Tony's recommendations.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Nice looking kit fourstring--I'm assuming those are your cymbals I just saw on ebay?

spleen
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen View Post
Nice looking kit fourstring--I'm assuming those are your cymbals I just saw on ebay?

spleen
Yup, I have them over in Classifieds here too.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM

How do you tune your 12x8? I'm having trouble tuning mine.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:23 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyepanda View Post
How do you tune your 12x8? I'm having trouble tuning mine.
I tune it fairly tight, with the resonant higher than the bottom higher than the top. I find the tighter the bottom head, the better the tone I get, but I like the tone of higher tensioned drums anyway.