DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Remo Powerstroke

Hi all. Just bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 (Coated, Clear Dot 14") for my snare. After I had seated and tuned it, I gave it a go. And all I can say is that I love it and the sounds that it gives me to play with, great for ghosting and such. Anyone else got this on their snare? What do you think? x

- Kit! -
Old 07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
PureRockFury

Default Re: Remo Powerstroke

I will pre warn you. I love Remo products, however, I think it's absolutely stupid that Remo Coated Powerstroke 3's have the coating on a clear head. This will cause the coating to completely come off the head. It will still sound absolutely fine, but I thought I would warn you.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

I wasn't nuts about it. It was nice and dark/warm, with highly controlled overtones, but I didn't think it was sensitive at all. I felt ghost notes were difficult to play such that they were distiguishable from a regular stroke, the volume would change, but the timbre was identical..
Old 07-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureRockFury View Post
I will pre warn you. I love Remo products, however, I think it's absolutely stupid that Remo Coated Powerstroke 3's have the coating on a clear head. This will cause the coating to completely come off the head. It will still sound absolutely fine, but I thought I would warn you.
Agreed!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM

I've bought it, I love the sound that im getting but im still not completely happy with it. In anyone else opinion what are the best snares for good sensitivity but something that still sounds good when given a good old wellying?

- Kit! -
Old 07-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Big_Philly

I am wondering what the effect of powerstroke 3 heads would have on my toms. As you can see in my sig. line I play a Superstar, so that's a birch/basswood hybrid shell. I have emperors on them now, and I like their sound a lot. I also like the more powerful, dry sound it gives when I place an o-ring on them, would they sound like that if I equip them with powerstroke 3's? Or should I go for the two-layer powerstroke 4?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:19 PM

So get a load of this yesterday I was playing the drums and I was having a really fun time and doing many advanced grooves I looked down at my snare head and I saw a huge tear in it. Im so dissapionted. ill put up a pic of it. I got it at the end of november last year for my birthday and It teared yesterday. Damn!!! ill put up some pics of it later.

Last edited by tooldrums1000; 08-06-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessdude16 View Post
I've bought it, I love the sound that im getting but im still not completely happy with it. In anyone else opinion what are the best snares for good sensitivity but something that still sounds good when given a good old wellying?
What don't you like about the sound? Too dark, to bright, too dead, too attacky, too ringy, yadda? Keep in mind, you may actually have a problem with the sound of your room, not your drum.

I'd go grab an Emperor or an Ambassador. I wouldn't mind about hitting an Amb hard, I was laying into my Supra yeterday, and it sounded better the harder I hit it. The single ply won't mask any overtones, so if you're tuning or drum construction aren't quite up to par, you'll notice right away. A little tape will fix that, though.