DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Anybody using aquarian super 2's?

Ive just put aquarian super 2's & classic clears (black) on my toms today (sonor 2007 in 10x8 12x9 14x14 16x16). Ive only seated them & given them a very very rough & rushed tuning. There sounding ok. Probably sound better tomorrow. My 10 is a bit dead at the moment.

Just wondering what people think of them. Or what there like compared to say the response or evans g2's. Any tuning prefrences?

Thanks guys
Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Anybody using aquarian super 2's?

I have been using coated Super-2s over classic clears for about 6 months and I love them. I thought that they were a bit dead the first couple of times that I played them. This, I thought, was strange because they are thinner than the traditional 2-ply head. After I played them a bit, I fell in love with the sound. I found them to sound more round and full than coated Emperors or G2s.

I tune my drums fairly high (Bonham/Danny Carey style tuning) with the reso tighter than most would go and the batter head a bit looser. I hit hard, so a tighter tuning like this makes my Starclassics w/ Super 2s sing.

On a 10 tom, I have heard that an Ebony reso can suck away the sound regardless of the batter head because its a little thicker than a clear head. Just food for thought. I have never used ebony resos myself.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyWaters View Post
I have been using coated Super-2s over classic clears for about 6 months and I love them. I thought that they were a bit dead the first couple of times that I played them. This, I thought, was strange because they are thinner than the traditional 2-ply head. After I played them a bit, I fell in love with the sound. I found them to sound more round and full than coated Emperors or G2s.

I tune my drums fairly high (Bonham/Danny Carey style tuning) with the reso tighter than most would go and the batter head a bit looser. I hit hard, so a tighter tuning like this makes my Starclassics w/ Super 2s sing.

On a 10 tom, I have heard that an Ebony reso can suck away the sound regardless of the batter head because its a little thicker than a clear head. Just food for thought. I have never used ebony resos myself.
I forgot to mention they are clear super 2's. There very responsive so tuning is a bit tricky & has to be very precise & have to make very small differenses. I will use my drum dial next time as a guidline. I havent tried the 14 16 toms yet just the 10 & 12. Will have a go tomorrow. Thanks for the response. People do say the aquarians are a little duller sounding than other heads in general so that might be why they sound deader than say a evans g2's. Im sure i will find a nice tuning for the drums. I like to tune mid range but still beefy sounding. I like a nice feel to them so there easier to roll of. If i have more problems with the 10" i might switch to clears. Although nicko mcbrian uses ebonys & they sound lovely on his little drums. Mine being birch also might make a difference...

Cheers
Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 PM

WOW i tuned the whole kit up today & its sounds GREAT! Im doing some stuff in a studio a week sunday so should sound fantastic... It took me 4 hours of messing around but got it sounding great. Recorded the tuning on my drum dial so tuning back up & head changes should be easy. Mind you some of the drum dial readings where like 73 to 77 in some cases even though was in tune nicely. Shows how of the dial can be..
Old 07-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Pioneer Member

I'd been running clear Super 2s on my Ludwig Classic Maple set for about five months. I liked them a lot at first, but replaced them today with clear Studio X power dot heads. I've had this set of heads for over a year and finally got around to mounting them. Right after I bought them the EC2s came out, then the Super 2s, and then the EC1s so it took a while before I needed heads again. I run the Evans heads on my DW set.

The Super 2s held up real well, and they are still in pretty good shape. I seem to get bored with a sound quickly and then try something different.

I started messing around with recording about a month ago and that has changed my perception quite a bit.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Last month, I put on coated Super 2s on my gretsch catalina club and they made my drums sound huge and i loved it. I was playing Big Band and Rock. I would recommend the coated ones.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I run the Evans heads on my DW set.
wich one? and what do you use for reso?
Is your dw maple w/reinforcmentring?
need some experienced advice about dw and heads. What would you NOT reccoment and so on.

Thanks in advance and sorry for OT.

/Tobbe
Paiste GiantBeat/2oo2/602/signature
Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiNg View Post
wich one? and what do you use for reso?
Is your dw maple w/reinforcmentring?
need some experienced advice about dw and heads. What would you NOT reccoment and so on.

Thanks in advance and sorry for OT.

/Tobbe
Hi,

My DW set is maple with reinforcement rings. The tom sizes are 10, 12, 14, and 16. I play rock and want a fairly open sound. That said, I do use heads with a slight amount of dampening. The tuning range is usually between 75 - 80 on the drum dial. Both heads are usually set to the same tension.

I like the Evans clear EC2s over the Evans resonant heads. Very punchy and loud. I am currently running EC1 batters and they sound very similar to the EC2 heads. A little more resonance, but very similar.

Another combo I liked was clear Aquarian Studio X heads over Classic Clears. Not a very durable head as they only lasted about three months playing two - three times a week, two - three hours per practice session.

I've tried Remo Pinstripes and Aquarian Clear Performance IIs which I thought were a little too dead. Aquarian coated Response IIs which produced a nice tone, but not much volume.

Another popular combo seems to be the Evans G2s over G1s. I haven't tried those yet, but a lot of the guys here like them a lot. I'll probably try the G2s out next.

I was recording yesterday and liked the Studio X power dot heads better than the Super 2s on my Ludwig set. My 16 is rumbling a little more than I want it to, but the tone is nice.

Anyway, I hope this babble helps you out some.

Good luck!