DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-28-2007, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Default Just another "My Kit" thread

*EDIT* New pictures - Slingerland snare - End of first page *EDIT*

It's nothing great, but it gets me by.
(Actually, the cymbals are pretty great)

Ludwig Accent series in Wine Red
22" bass
12", 13" toms
16" floor tom

13x5 Pearl steel snare

Cymbals:
16" Saluda prototype crash
18" Saluda Diamond crash
14" Saluda Mist-X hi-hats
14" Eastsound China (sounds pretty good, it's probably pretty much a Wuhan)
20" Zildjian A Custom ride (Ah, the days before I discovered Saluda. Actually I got a great deal on this cymbal: half off because the store was going out of business)

Promark 5A Japanese Oak Sticks

Evans Heads:
Clear EC2s over G1s on the toms. They're pretty irregularly marked up, I started off not very accurate and they probably need replacing.
Coated EMAD and stock reso on the bass
Coated Genera over Hazy 300 on snare

Oh and the last picture is my 12" RealFeel Pad in front of a full length mirror. Good for hand technique, if not as alluring as drumset.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread and tell me what you think.
Attached Images

Last edited by hauk; 08-06-2007 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:25 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Just another "My Kit" thread

Looks nice. Those Ludwig Accent kits are underrated. I used to use one in lessons and it sounded pretty good even with just the stock heads.

I don't want to turn this into a "bash your setup choice" thread, but just remember to try and set up as ergonomically as possible. From the looks of it, your cymbals especially either look cramped, like the ride, or not in an easily accessible spot, like the china or crash. But, as always though if it's comfortable for you and doesn't hinder your playing, stick with it.

You may want to check out this article I wrote www.handidrummed.com/articles/comfort.php
Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, I've read that article before, and the pictures do make things look a bit weird, but everything is within a comfortable reach.

I agree that the kit sounds pretty good, I think it was a good beginner choice (especially since back then I didn't have all the wisdom I've accrued in my time here).
Old 06-28-2007, 08:43 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
Thanks, I've read that article before, and the pictures do make things look a bit weird, but everything is within a comfortable reach.

I agree that the kit sounds pretty good, I think it was a good beginner choice (especially since back then I didn't have all the wisdom I've accrued in my time here).
Well considering the set I had to play on when I first started, beginner sets have come along way and this is proof.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:09 AM

yes..another EC2 user! w00t!..nice kit too!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Well considering the set I had to play on when I first started, beginner sets have come along way and this is proof.
Yep, I bet that's very true.

Catmanhairskank:

Thanks, I like the EC2s. When I next switch out heads I'm not sure if I'll go for coated or not... tough choice.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

How do you like that 18" Diamond crash?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:16 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
Yep, I bet that's very true.

Catmanhairskank:

Thanks, I like the EC2s. When I next switch out heads I'm not sure if I'll go for coated or not... tough choice.
I've tried both clear and coated EC2's and I liked the clear more. The coated seemed too muted for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, that's mostly what I've heard about them, but I was hoping to get rid of some of the plasticy attack when you hit softly. Ah well, it's probably only noticible from behind the kit.

I really like the Diamond, I'm glad I went with it. It adds a nice darker companion to the prototype.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

This is a good, solid, well-maintained starter kit with good cymbals and hardware. Like Fourstring said, even starter kits are realy good tehse days, far better than years past. You should be proud of it!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

ya it definatly looks good, are those dents in the ec2's or just markings? i cant really tell, but if those are dents then DAMN your a wild beast, how do you like that new snare head, just half an hour ago i was choosing between that and the st dry, i got the st dry and it sounds great! but i think i should have got yours

Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Silver Member

Hahaha no those are just scuffs. I think I have one dent in the 13" head, but other than that they're just marks.
I like the Genera a lot. I realise now just how dead the stock head was, which I had tuned tighter but still gave me less rebound. I went with the Genera for sensitivity because of how thin and unmuffled it was, and now my snare picks up the ghost notes very nicely. When I replace it I'm not sure if I'll get another Genera or go with Genera dry. For the most part I like the amount of ring the Genera lets through, but on rimshots it can be a bit much. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've had a chance to play the new head with my guitarist though, so maybe the ring will even out in the music.

Thanks for commenting DMC, I am pretty proud. Your kit is pretty impressive itself.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Very nice kit! I haven't seen many people use Ludwig Accents around these forums but I'm glad to see someone enjoys them.

You're the first person I ever saw to put their double-bass pedal to the left of the hi hats. Not a bad thing at all, just interesting.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I like having the hi hats in nice and close to the snare. I can never understand how people play the double bass kits that have the hats a mile away from the snare. When I play my sticks don't actually cross, the right stick passes just in front of the left tip. I think there's a thread on other people who place their pedals like that on here somewhere...
Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

RealFeel Pads are awesome. I have the 2 sided one.

Oh yea your kits sweet too : )
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Platinum Member

Nice cymbals.

Im going to have to get me some Saluda's to try...

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 07-07-2007, 03:13 PM

Nice kit but.......
The kick is backwards, the spurs should be out front. This puts tom mounts being too close to your snare making it difficult to position the toms.
Or maybe you did this on purpose?

Mike
Old 07-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, that was just me being absent minded when I put the EMAD on the kick. And it doesn't really inconvenience me, so I'll stick with it until I have reason to stop being lazy.

maddrummr:
Thanks, I've got the 2 sided one as well. It's quite a nice pad.

fijjibo:
You should try some out indeed. The company is great to work with and my Saludas are my pride and joy (even if none of the drummers I hang out with have ever heard of them).
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Silver Member

Here's a couple of updated pictures. The only change is that a friend of mine (non drummer) got hold of a snare from somebody's garage (don't worry, they gave it to him) and gave it to me. Turns out it's a 14x5 Slingerland that appears from my research to be from the early 60's, most likely right around '62. I put some heads on it that had been sitting around on my stock snare (which I hate) and tuned it up. I figure it may have started out common, but by now the snare must be fairly unique with a replacement strainer and wires (previous owner's doing) and a Genera HD Dry without holes (my doing - I have no idea how either). I've got it temporarily set up as my main snare with the 13" steel Pearl in the side snare spot tuned up a bit from usual. I'm not sure if I'll keep it this way or return the Pearl to main snare duty. At the moment the Slingy is a bit dead for my taste, probably due to the head combined with the round bearing edges - I need to try a Genera like I've got on my steel snare. Other than that it works nicely, and I'm not playing out anyway.

About the pictures:
I would have the 13" lower, but my other snare stand doesn't allow for it. On the upside, the height makes crossovers easy and useful.
Ignore the extra hi hat stand, it's just there to save space.
The last picture shows the step stool right behind my throne with some essentials - iPod, blank sheet music (well, that sheet is pretty much full), drum key, pick in case my guitarist drops one, and lotsa sticks behind the stool.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM

Looks good. What kind of music do you use that Diamond crash for? Does it cut well? I have a Diamond china in the same size as yours and I love it. I'm looking to get a new 18" Saluda crash, but I can't decide between the Diamond and Mist-X.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
Those Ludwig Accent kits are underrated. it.
I totally agree. When I got back into drumming last year, I didn't want to spend a lot of money, especially if I ended up not recapturing the passion I had for playing, so I bought some Accents.
Well turns out I got the drum bug back, BIG time. I got rid of the Ludwig hardware, and replaced it with Gibraltar, right down to the throne. Only thing I kept was the Ludwig pedal, as it just feels so natural to me "Go Figure". I replaced all the heads with Evans, and after a LOT of tuning and fussing, have em just perfect sound wise IMO.
I've even gigged with them, and have have gotten many comments on how nice they sound. Even seasoned drummers have said the same, and asked me how I tuned them, to which I reply " It wasn't easy to figure out, but with time....". Heck, I even went in to buy a new set of Sonor Force 3007?? "maple" and honestly didn't think they sounded much better than my Accents, so I'm keeping the Accents.

IMO it's not just the kit, but also the person sitting behind it that contributes to the sound you achieve. I know there are some on this forum that shun people that don't have a million dollar DW kit, and thats ok. I also see those that appreciate any kit, and can see the fact that it isn't what you play, but the fact that your ARE playing. To me, these are the REAL drummers on this forum.

Nice kit hauk. Enjoy it brother. Its just nice to be playing, no matter what its on.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Velimor - I use the Diamond for rock mostly. It seems to cut pretty well, although I usually am just playing with one guitar player and a small amp so there's not a whole lot to cut through. I think you might be better off with the Mist-X for cut, but to be sure you'd have to ask Jamie. Also, my china isn't a Diamond (unfortunately), it's an Eastsound.

Dr. Hook - Thanks for your interest. I probably need to tune my drums up again to get them sounding my best, but playing is just so much more fun! : )
And I agree, it's nice to be playing at all.

Last edited by hauk; 08-08-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the response. I probably will go with the Mist-X and ask Jamie to give it a little darkness and complexity.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velimor View Post
Thanks for the response. I probably will go with the Mist-X and ask Jamie to give it a little darkness and complexity.
The Diamonds are already complex, dark, a little trashy. :) The MistX are very bright and full. They both complement each other well. Most of mine are MistX, but I will be adding more Diamonds in the future.

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread at all.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Looks great man. Im likin the Saludas. Just wondering, on those "white" sticks, is that just grip tape over the entire stick? If so, does that effect the feel of the sticks much? I have used grip tape before but only on half the stick. Im just wondering how they compare.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Yes, those are marching sticks with stick tape completely covering them (3M electrical tape - a bit stretchy to conform right and many color options). It doesn't really effect the feel very much (unless by now I just can't remember how an untaped Brett Kuhn feels). We tape mostly for visual reasons.