DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
fourstringdrums

Default New Gear, Yet Again! - Gretsch Catalina Jazz & Supra!

I've been wanting a kit with a more vintage tone, something more musical that can fit into jazz, funk, and even rock if it has to. So because I sold/am selling some bass guitar related things (can't play any more because of my Carpal Tunnel), I decided to use that money for something different.

So, last night on Ebay I won a Gretsch Catalina Jazz shell pack (with bass drum riser) in White Marine Pearl http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140133026352

I also decided that while the Gretsch snare will sound mighty fine, I wanted to get a steel snare too, as I want another tone if needed, and I haven't played a steel snare in years, and I've never played a good one at that. So I found the same store that was selling the Catalina was selling a 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic with Tube Lugs http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140133026352 which I've personally never seen before. All the Supra's I've ever seen usually have the Imperal Lugs. Is this a custom order deal?

To round out the set, with some money I'm getting from my Renowns and some extra drum gear (Yeah I could keep the Renowns, but I need the cash too), I'm going to get two Gibraltar Flat Base cymbal stands, two Gibraltar Flat Base snare stands (I'm mounting the 12" off one of them), a DW Flat Base hi-hat stand, and a DW Delta 3 Nylon Strap Bass Pedal.

Once all of this stuff comes in, I'll post up some pics, and hopefully some audio.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Gear, Yet Again! - Gretsch Catalina Jazz & Supra!

Jeeeeesus Rob, how many kits is that in the past year now?

But hey, I guess it takes a while to find the sound/setup you want, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the Catalina and Supra. I've heard of Supras with tube lugs before.. but you're right, they're harder to find than Supras with imperial lugs.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Jeeeeesus Rob, how many kits is that in the past year now?

But hey, I guess it takes a while to find the sound/setup you want, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the Catalina and Supra. I've heard of Supras with tube lugs before.. but you're right, they're harder to find than Supras with imperial lugs.
The Supra is brand new. Is it harder to find new version with the tube lugs even?

Uh in the past year.....my Renowns and my Catalina Birch :)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
The Supra is brand new. Is it harder to find new version with the tube lugs even?

Nah, I think that the tube lugs are a newer addition to the Supras. Again, I haven't seen them advertised, but the owners of two local drum shops I frequent own them. Next time I go in there, I'll ask him what he knows about the tube lug design and when it was implemented.

By the way, on an unrelated side-note.. I may soon join you in the 17 & 19 Bos crashes club. I've got my eye on a 19" Masters that would probably complement my 17" Trad Dark. I think you had the right idea with the non-standard sized crashes.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Nah, I think that the tube lugs are a newer addition to the Supras. Again, I haven't seen them advertised, but the owners of two local drum shops I frequent own them. Next time I go in there, I'll ask him what he knows about the tube lug design and when it was implemented.

By the way, on an unrelated side-note.. I may soon join you in the 17 & 19 Bos crashes club. I've got my eye on a 19" Masters that would probably complement my 17" Trad Dark. I think you had the right idea with the non-standard sized crashes.
Well my 17" Medium-Thin Turk is actually for sale. I find myself using it less and less, and when it comes down to it, I'd rather have my two rides in front of me than anything else. I really like the 17 & 19 setup though. I feel that a 19 is the perfect size if you're going to have just one crash...although technically mine is a thin ride, not a crash :) An 18 or smaller just doesn't feel right to me as a solo crash. Then having a 17 gives just enough difference while blending well with the 19, as opposed to a 16 which I'd feel is too far away and an 18 which is too close. When I used Zildjian I also had a setup of 15 & 17 K Custom Medium-Thin (or Thin...I forget) which was nice as well.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
And before that you had a white silk pdp, right?

Congrats to the new kit...and to the snare drum. Although I have no experience with those snare drums.
The drums are tight man...great Gretsch stuff again.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

And before the PDP, Rob had a Yamaha Oak Custom.

Rob, I would reconsider and just buy a smaller bass drum for your Renowns. They're really, really nice drums and although the Catalina Jazz is also a nice kit, it's not in the same league as your Renowns.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post

Rob, I would reconsider and just buy a smaller bass drum for your Renowns. They're really, really nice drums and although the Catalina Jazz is also a nice kit, it's not in the same league as your Renowns.
I thought of that, but I'd be paying as much for a new bass as I am for this whole shell pack. I've also been looking for a Mahogony set anyway, something with a more vintage tone. Also, I really don't care for the hanging 11x14. I've just found that I prefer the tone of 14x14's more pleasing to me and I have always hated having to hang a tom off a cymbal stand and then having to work between the two to get them adjusted. I need a set that is as portable and easy to adjust as possible, it just makes things easy on me. Not only that, but with me being unemployed I need the money. I sold my bass gear to get this set, and now I'll sell the Renowns to get some extra money. Either way I would have had to sell my bass gear for a new bass drum anyway.

I agree with you though, yes they're not the same, but I wouldn't say not in the same "league" as that makes the Jazz kit sound worse. It might not be AS high end, but it's still a great set. My old drum teacher has one and he raved about it. He even used it regularly on rock gigs. I've also been very impressed by what I've heard of them on videos/recordings and what not. I had the Catalina Birch, and with the exception of a nicer finish, diecast hoops, silver sealer, and slightly higher QC, I don't see a big enough difference in tone or functionality for me to say that the Renown is head and shoulders over the Catalina's.

Yeah I did have the PDP's before that, and the Oak Customs before that, but he asked how many I bought in the last year. I bought the PDP's in '05 and the Oaks in '03 so they don't count :D
Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Maaaaybe you should just buy the Renowns off him if you like them so much. Heh.

Rob, I agree with you on going for the more 'vintage' tone. To hell with these newfangled 'modern' sounding drums. If I had better luck on eBay, I'd find myself a nice vintage kit.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:54 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Maaaaybe you should just buy the Renowns off him if you like them so much. Heh.

Rob, I agree with you on going for the more 'vintage' tone. To hell with these newfangled 'modern' sounding drums. If I had better luck on eBay, I'd find myself a nice vintage kit.
Even if he would buy the Renowns I wouldn't ship them overseas. I tried shipping a 5 piece that was alot lighter and the costs were outrageous...and that was just to Canada.

I was looking at vintage kits too, but they were more expensive, and most didn't come with a snare. I didn't make the decision to buy the Supra until after I bought the shell pack. I figured, why not :) I know it won't be dead on vintage, but close enough for me. Plus, I know what quality I'm getting. I'm kind of wary about spending even $600 on a piece of vintage gear and having to deal with any hardware, shell or bearing edge problems. I like to know where my gear has been and what I'm expecting.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Even if he would buy the Renowns I wouldn't ship them overseas. I tried shipping a 5 piece that was alot lighter and the costs were outrageous...and that was just to Canada.
I was just messing with him, as it seemed he had somewhat of an attachment to your kit. And I don't think you'll have to worry about the Supra, even if it's not vintage ... it's still one of the most coveted snares around. :)

Question though: I've seen you talking about how you wanted to play a three piece -- are you going to abandon the rack tom, or keep it around for when the occasion calls on it?

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I was just messing with him, as it seemed he had somewhat of an attachment to your kit. And I don't think you'll have to worry about the Supra, even if it's not vintage ... it's still one of the most coveted snares around. :)

Question though: I've seen you talking about how you wanted to play a three piece -- are you going to abandon the rack tom, or keep it around for when the occasion calls on it?
Well I think at first I'm going to use it, because I've never used an 8x12, so I'm looking forward to it, and I haven't actually used a 12" as my main rack tom for about 3 years. If I do decide to 3 piece, which I'm sure I will for a bit, I may even dump one of my rides now and again, I'll definately hang on to it in case the situation calls for it.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

That's fair enough, Rob. As long as you feel comfortable with your new purchase, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I would like to buy those Renowns, but I don't have the money and yes, shipping is impossible!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
That's fair enough, Rob. As long as you feel comfortable with your new purchase, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. I would like to buy those Renowns, but I don't have the money and yes, shipping is impossible!
Well the shipping technically isn't impossible, it's just not worth it unless I was selling the drums for EVEN less.

I'll probably be putting them up on Ebay soon. I'm fairly certain I won't get any bites over here...and that goes for my Saluda Crash, Saluda Snare, and Bosphorus 12" hats and 17" Med-Thin Crash :)
Old 06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
KARL MEMBER

Hey Rob!
Just a question:

From what Mahagoni wood is the Gretsch jazz kit made? REAL mahagoni?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Bosphorus 12" hats and 17" Med-Thin Crash :)
Let me know if you sell the 17" seperately. I really love the way those cymbals sound.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Its surely a nice looking kit. How can one tell if a kit has more vintage TONE than others? What does one listen for?

Oh, one more thing. Do modern day companies try to create a vintage sounding kit, or do you have to go old skool to get it?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:12 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldak View Post
Let me know if you sell the 17" seperately. I really love the way those cymbals sound.
Oh yes I am selling it seperately. It's $180 + shipping. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:17 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Its surely a nice looking kit. How can one tell if a kit has more vintage TONE than others? What does one listen for?

Oh, one more thing. Do modern day companies try to create a vintage sounding kit, or do you have to go old skool to get it?
Well I'm not an expert, but I personally hear what I describe as a vintage tone if it has kind of a warmer, softer tone with slightly naturally controlled overtones. Some modern companies are trying to replicate it, like with the Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Also DW has a Classics series set that has mahogony shells with maple reinforcement rings that are made to have a more old school tone. I've heard also that Pearl Masters Mahogony is a good place if you want old school tone but modern construction.

Karl - It's not "real" Mahogony. It's actually Phillipine Mahogony, but as far as I know, it still has alot of the same tonal qualities.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I'm not an expert, but I personally hear what I describe as a vintage tone if it has kind of a warmer, softer tone with slightly naturally controlled overtones. Some modern companies are trying to replicate it, like with the Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Also DW has a Classics series set that has mahogony shells with maple reinforcement rings that are made to have a more old school tone. I've heard also that Pearl Masters Mahogony is a good place if you want old school tone but modern construction.
Cool! What do you mean by "naturally controlled overtones"? Do you mean that the drum itself muffles the normal lengthened overtones without having to use some sort of overtone muffle? Is it basically the drums natural material/construction that gives it what you are looking for?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Is it basically the drums natural material/construction that gives it what you are looking for?
I'm pretty sure (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that the Catalina Club Jazz has rounded bearing edges, which means the shell touches more of the drum head than 45 degree bearing edges. Because the shell has much more contact on the head, it effectively chokes some of the sound, giving a 'rounder', more 'controlled' sound. I might be wrong on the Catalina Club Jazz kit, but I'm pretty sure most beginner-intermediate priced kits have rounded bearing edges. Plus, despite being a cheap wood, philippine mahogany has a very warm tone, somewhat similar to maple.

All that being said, for those looking to get the sound they're looking for in a kit should do research on the sonorities of different woods. It's a worthwhile investment of time.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I'm pretty sure (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that the Catalina Club Jazz has rounded bearing edges, which means the shell touches more of the drum head than 45 degree bearing edges. Because the shell has much more contact on the head, it effectively chokes some of the sound, giving a 'rounder', more 'controlled' sound. I might be wrong on the Catalina Club Jazz kit, but I'm pretty sure most beginner-intermediate priced kits have rounded bearing edges. Plus, despite being a cheap wood, philippine mahogany has a very warm tone, somewhat similar to maple.

All that being said, for those looking to get the sound they're looking for in a kit should do research on the sonorities of different woods. It's a worthwhile investment of time.
True. The Gretsch's have a 30 degree bearing edge which is obviously more rounded over than a 45 and in turn muffles the head slightly. I'm not entirely familiar with Phillipine Mahogony, but I was on www.indoorstorm.com and for anyone who hasn't been there, you can demo how each kit sounds. I was demoing the Catalina Jazz and some USA Custom Jazz sets last night, and while the USA Custom may sound alittle more clear, and probably more appealing to a jazz purist, the Catalina Jazz had a very similar tone and a slightly rounder one at that. The bass especially was very punchy. Of course all that has to do with how they recorded and how they tuned, but it still sounded very close to me, enough where I won't regret them. Especially considering that the USA Customs were Maple, and the Catalina's were the Phillipine Mahogony.

That Guy - Yes, exactly that and also what I and Kung_f00 said. The wood that the drum is made out of and the bearing edge controls the sound as much as head choice and tuning. Some may argue about that, but that's what I believe. So the bearing edge will control some overtones depending on how it's cut, but then the wood choice may add to that. I've owned kits made from Maple, Birch, and Oak. The maple kits are very warm and more resonant, I find having some more natural overtones. The Birch kit I had (also a Catalina) was warm...warmer than I've heard Birch described, and I found to have a slightly muted/punchy tone. The Oak kit I had I hated to death. Very bright, lots of overtones that I personally couldn't deal with even with tuning and head choice, and not very warm at all. Although I've heard some people refer to the Oaks as very warm, but just loud, and that just proves that how one person hears something might be different from another.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Jusstickinaround

You won't be disappointed, those little kits sound great! I bought mine at GC for $500 including tax which made it even sweeter. I eventually went for the real thing and swapped them for a 1970's Ludwig kit in wmp, good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:51 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post

You won't be disappointed, those little kits sound great! I bought mine at GC for $500 including tax which made it even sweeter. I eventually went for the real thing and swapped them for a 1970's Ludwig kit in wmp, good luck.
How do you compare the tone of these to the Ludwigs?
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:

Karl - It's not "real" Mahogony. It's actually Phillipine Mahogony, but as far as I know, it still has alot of the same tonal qualities.
Of course it`ll have tonal qualities...
But why not checking out the small Sonor Force 3007, too? You know, I wanna buy one...and love the quality and sound: Excellent maple wood shells, great quality of the shells and great features...

But yeah, the Gretsch is cool anyway, take what you wanna have buddy!! =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Of course it`ll have tonal qualities...
But why not checking out the small Sonor Force 3007, too? You know, I wanna buy one...and love the quality and sound: Excellent maple wood shells, great quality of the shells and great features...

But yeah, the Gretsch is cool anyway, take what you wanna have buddy!! =)

Karl
I've heard so many good things about the Catalina Jazz, especially from my old drum teacher who RAVES about them, having even used them on Rock gigs tuned down. I also owned a Catalina Birch and was really impressed at how great of a kit it was, I just got sick of the finish and beyond that I can't remember why I sold them... I guess I just like to try different things :) I've used a variety of different bass drums over the years from 16-17x20 to 14-18x22, but never an 18" so I was really intrigued.

I did look at the Sonor's, but I did so before I decided to go with an 18" bass drum. By the time I decided on that, I already made the choice to go with the Gretsch's. The Sonor's actually would've been more expensive. The Jungle Kit is too small for me with the 16" bass drum although I know it sounds incredible, I just can't go that small. As for the Force 3007's, in order to get a set with an 18" bass, I'd have to order individual drums and that would run me about $1000 or so. The bass drum alone would be as much as my Catalina Jazz shell pack :) Not just that, but as I said I like to try different things, and over the years I've used Maple, Birch, and Oak, but never Mahogony and I think that's closet to the tone I'm after. Oh too...I've always wanted to use an 8x12 tom, but they're harder to find unless you go custom, so that's another thing that intrigued me to the Catalinas again :)
Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That Guy - Yes, exactly that and also what I and Kung_f00 said. The wood that the drum is made out of and the bearing edge controls the sound as much as head choice and tuning. Some may argue about that, but that's what I believe. So the bearing edge will control some overtones depending on how it's cut, but then the wood choice may add to that. I've owned kits made from Maple, Birch, and Oak. The maple kits are very warm and more resonant, I find having some more natural overtones. The Birch kit I had (also a Catalina) was warm...warmer than I've heard Birch described, and I found to have a slightly muted/punchy tone. The Oak kit I had I hated to death. Very bright, lots of overtones that I personally couldn't deal with even with tuning and head choice, and not very warm at all. Although I've heard some people refer to the Oaks as very warm, but just loud, and that just proves that how one person hears something might be different from another.
Cool, I didn't know that the bearing edge had that much of an affect on sound. But, it does make ALOT of sense.

Thanks for the info, and I hope you enjoy your new kit.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yeah, can totally understand your statement!
I personally would find a 16" bass drum okay...you know...but also an 18" bass drum would be great, if not greater.
I`m just sceptical about the Gretsch. Though it may sound good.

oh and I`ve e-mailed Sonor and they told me that you can of course customize a 3007 kit. But it would cost more of course.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
I personally would find a 16" bass drum okay...you know...but also an 18" bass drum would be great, if not greater.

oh and I`ve e-mailed Sonor and they told me that you can of course customize a 3007 kit. But it would cost more of course.

Karl
Why do you happen to be skeptical of the Gretsch?
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM
KARL MEMBER

It mainly happens to be the wood (and wood quality) I`m a bit sceptical of. Here in Germany they sell them even more expencive than the Sonor 3007s.

...also it might be simply lack of experience with Gretsch.

But not to say that these Gretsch`s have got a bad sound though.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Karl, your statement grabbed my attention. I read your reason for your skepticism. Are there any specifics about the wood that you can mention?

I am in no way an expert on woods, thats why I am asking.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Karl
Not to criticize (because I know you're a smart kid and I value your opinion), but what makes you skeptical, exactly? I'm not saying your skepticism is unwarranted, but I'm curious what your reasoning is.

By the way, Rob.. sharp looking icon. Photoshop?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:30 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
By the way, Rob.. sharp looking icon. Photoshop?
Yeah I was bored :)

Karl - The Gretsch's are of great quality, I'd say as good quality as the Sonors. The hardware might be a little more beefed up and nicer on the Sonor (not that the Gretschs arent), but as far as construction, from what I've seen, they're both equally incredible for the price. Of course the Sonor is more, atleast here, so it's ALITTLE higher up on the quality scale, but only if you're really being discriminating IMO. As far as the wood goes, Phillipine Mahogony isn't a bad quality wood, it's just not as high quality as "real" Mahogony. It's the same with some kits that may use a different grade of Maple in the set vs. a higher end drum. It's not a BAD thing, it's just not quite the same as if you pay alot more.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Jusstickinaround

The toms on the Gretsch kit seem to resonate a bit more, but the Ludwigs are louder and seem to project better. I wish I could have kept the Gretsch, but unfortunately I havn't the money or the space for that luxury. If you go to Indoor Storm they have a Gretsch Catalina jazz kit you can listen to, I would suggest that you go there and listen to the drums, you can get a pretty good idea of what they sound like.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:51 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Hey Karl, your statement grabbed my attention. I read your reason for your skepticism. Are there any specifics about the wood that you can mention?

I am in no way an expert on woods, thats why I am asking.
Quote:
Not to criticize (because I know you're a smart kid and I value your opinion), but what makes you skeptical, exactly? I'm not saying your skepticism is unwarranted, but I'm curious what your reasoning is.
So as I said, mainly I am sceptical of the wood.
Phillipine Mahagoni is used for many drums and I don`t say it is bad, if the shell and edges have a good quality it will of course sound good. And as long as it sounds cool for you, get it.
But then again I have to say that I havn`t got enough experience with it to totally review it. I know that Gretsch is on a high quality level in making drums and I have no doubt that the quality is as high as Sonor`s or Tama`s or Peral`s etc.

Just thought about mentioning my opinion about this. And yes, from what I`ve heard it sounds great and can produce a nice sound. I was just wondering about wood compared to price, if the wood is worth the price.

Yet again, I have to say congrats to Rob because I`m happy that he has found "his" set.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:11 PM

I like mine. Tone is great, tuning is easy, and they look so good. It's what i'm playing on in my avatar. I use it for funk gigs also. Very versatile. The wood is very warm a resonate, I don't think that should be a problem for anyone especially if they are good tuners.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:14 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdrummer34 View Post
I like mine. Tone is great, tuning is easy, and they look so good. It's what i'm playing on in my avatar. I use it for funk gigs also. Very versatile. The wood is very warm a resonate, I don't think that should be a problem for anyone especially if they are good tuners.
It looks like you have an older model? I was just curious about the tonal difference between the 16x18 and the 14x18 bass that is on the new sets. What do you think of the snare? For the most part I haven't been impressed with stock snares in this price range. But, that's why I have the Supra on the way just in case :)
Old 06-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

are all the drums wood hoops? or are they all metal?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

wait i answered my own question, its a mix! i win!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

but i do like the kit my man 8-)