DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > DrummerWorld Site News

DrummerWorld Site News What's New at DrummerWorld

Old 06-25-2007, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Default A drum teacher's sub forum?

I recognize that a number of us teach drums - both new teachers and more experienced ones.

Perhaps we could set out a teaching sub forum for drum teaching related questions and also sharing of teaching methods? (unless you all guard your teaching secrets carefully with guard dogs, lazers etc etc) We are a drumming resource after all... so teaching resource shouldn't be that far off?

thoughts?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: A drum teacher's sub forum?

I think that the drum technique area has that covered.

What would be cool though is if when someone posts a technique question, all the teachers jump in to share expertise.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
KARL MEMBER

I really like the idea of creating a teacher`s sub forum.
Being a drum teacher myself I`d love to get to know more teachers here, would love to read about their methods, experiences...and would like to share my experiences etc.

That is just my opinion...but I think Bernhard doesn`t like to create too many sub forums.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
I think that the drum technique area has that covered.

What would be cool though is if when someone posts a technique question, all the teachers jump in to share expertise.
Hmm... I guess they do fit into 'technique' but I think it'll be great if we could pile all the teaching related resources into one place. More about approaches to teaching rather than the technique itself.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Plus if we really had a teacher's subforum, though cool, we would have to make sure people claiming to be teachers are actually teachers. I could go in there and tell people how to play even though I'm not actually a teacher. Unless we could find a way for people to register as a teacher or something that really proved they were a teacher... Eh, and I think DrummerKarl's right about Bernhard.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
Plus if we really had a teacher's subforum, though cool, we would have to make sure people claiming to be teachers are actually teachers. I could go in there and tell people how to play even though I'm not actually a teacher.
Eh? The point of the sub forum isn't about sharing playing tips, but rather teaching tips, techniques and methods. And besides, bad advice is pretty easy to spot, especially if you are a teacher with any experience.

I'd like a section dedicated to teachers and teacher-wannabes. Passing on the tradition is an important part of being a musician, and even though it's important to know the stuff you teach, it's also very important to know HOW to teach the stuff you know. Teaching is beneficial for all musicians, and a dedicated sub-forum certainly wouldn't hurt the DWF.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

I totally agree with Wavelength on this, teaching deffinatly deserves its own sub forum, It would greatly enhance this site even more I feel!

I feel a poll coming on here....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Perhaps a thread similar to the jazz thread would suffice. That way another area would not need to be created and it may save space.

I do like the idea of something like this, but then what constitutes a "teacher"? Someone teaching his friend and a couple of others is by definition a teacher. What I would like to isolate are the questions that really should be posed to people working in drumstores; such as "what heads should I use?" "Are X sticks better than Y sticks?" etc. Those are the threads and questions that drive me away. I mean seriously, pick up a phone and call a drum shop or buy something to try it. Anyone who has workied in a drum store knows what I am talking about.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM

why not just make a thread. i mean its easier on everyone and if it was used enough im sure it would be made a sticky. start one and just put a link to it in you sig. if every one does that says "the teachers thread" or something i think that would work ill use it and ill put he link in. just a suggestion. but im definatly down with it because i want to teach and people have asked me to teach but i have a little trouble explaining it. its like i kno exctly what im saying makes perfect since but it actually only makes perfect since to someone who acctually knows it already. so help in breaking down things would be great.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Wanabee drum teachers, wanting pedagogical advice, might benefit from a teacher's sub-forum or a thread (as was suggested) about teaching drums.
Personally, I am very much interested by what teachers might discuss among themselves, in such a thread, pedagogically-wise.
And here's just a thought: What should not be missed be on the agenda is pedagogy, for let's not forget that expert drummers, although they can be good examples to be admired, imitated and praised, do not necessarily make good teachers.
Had not such drummers, with no understanding of what pedagogy is all about, better stay away from teaching as long as they aren't fully aware of the numerous implications involved in a student-teacher relationship?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

a teacher thread might be too large in context...though I'm all for saving time and space and also saving Bernhard the trouble, but a thread wouldn't work. I think it might end up too disjointed with multiple topics since teaching is a very wide field. For example, we have the teaching approach for toddlers, for older generation beginners, intermediate players... I believe each approach is different. To encompass the entire thing into a single thread MIGHT be too big. I dunno... Maybe we should give it a whirl and see if it works?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ng View Post
.... a thread wouldn't work. I think it might end up too disjointed with multiple topics since teaching is a very wide field. ..
Yes, I'm afraid it would require several threads if one is to cover every fields...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:55 PM

now that ive thought about it a thread wouldnt work like youve all said. a sub forum would be the best...please bernhard?

Last edited by skippy; 07-01-2007 at 12:31 PM.