DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Silver Member

Default what's the best option for a 6pc drum set - RACK or TRADITIONAL STANDS?

I bought a 6pc shell pack (not delivered yet) but I'm looking around at cymbal and tom stands. At this time I could go with either a rack system or traditional stands.

Anyone out there have pros and cons they would like to share with me on either of these systems?

I won't be playing professionally - just around the house mostly.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: what's the best option for a 6pc drum set - RACK or TRADITIONAL STANDS?

Is it 3 rack toms with 1 floor, or 2 and 2?

I'd say that's the deciding factor.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: what's the best option for a 6pc drum set - RACK or TRADITIONAL STANDS?

When I was in a band playing a lot of 1 and 1 1/2 hour sets, the rack was the way to go. Throw the kick on stage, rack next, pedals, snare and throne and floors and good to go. Sometimes I was up and running before the guitarists. Teardown was even faster. Now, most all my gigs are 3 sets (all night), so I'm back to individual stands. And when you get in a "stage so small a rack won't fit" situation, you need stands anyway. If you're not gonna gig much, go with stands. Much more "classic" look.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

I'm a bit swayed on this, being I play on a rack. I'm tearing it down and putting it up sometimes twice a week now and moving back and forth to local shows and such. I've never been more pleased. In most instances, I can have the rack up and toegether (from three modular pieces) in about three minutes OR have the whole thing set up off to one side backstage (if big enough) and three people can pick the entire set up (minus bass drum, pedals, snares, and hi-hat) and basically be set on the riser in one piece.

I really like not having to adjust, adjust, adjust, adjust, adjust. Everything is on memory lock. No need for carpet...and if I do it's only to keep the slave pedal from scooting so it's a very small piece.

Last time I played a bigger venue, the stage crew had me off and out the side stage door in one piece...I was surprised.

Overall, I thnk it was money well spent. I like having a lot of cymbals. I like having everything pre-set. Six pieces for me is enough to have pushed me to a rack. I guess it's something you'll have to ponder about some more.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

Personally I love racks. Even with a four piece. I'm going to use my kit as a four piece for our next gig to see how things go. I'll still be using most of my cymbals though, and that's where the rack really comes in handy for me. As a six piece I have two rack toms on the rack, and all my cymbals aside from the hats. With the four piece, I'm dropping one rack tom and one crash. I think I can fit my second ride on there (hopefully). With my six piece setup, I have the rack broken into two smaller segments with no bar over the kick. With the four piece, I will use one segment with a bar over the kick. I still have two regular cymbal stands though just in case I don't need my rack for a gig or whatever.

If you only have two rack toms you can easily get away with not having a rack. If you have three, a rack may be of more use. If you have a lot of cymbals, I would go with the rack. A rack has a smaller foot print. There's no way I could keep my six piece in my small music room without a rack. Individual stands would take up too much room on the floor. Some people have monster size rack setups. I've done my best to keep my rack setup very minimal, mainly keeping stage setup and tear down in mind.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

I play a six-piece and I have never used racks.

Modern stands have memory locks, even for positioning suspended toms, assuring fast, accurate setup. A rack would take up more room and obscure my set.

On the other hand, I have been very careful to minimize the stands I use. I have two stands supporting all four toms, four cymbals, two percussion items and a gong. I have a legless hihat stand clamped to a two-legged cymbal stand. Total hardware points of contact with the ground, including hihat stand: nine. That's less than most four-pieces with a couple of cymbals.

Stands rightfully get a bad name when drummers have a gazillion of them around the set, with double-braced counterweighted boom stands holding a four-inch splash cymbal. That just adds to weight and setup time. For my needs, stands are the best way to mount up a six-piece, although when you get to a really huge set, I think racks are unavoidable.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM

I have to go the other way concerning the rack , with all respect to you guys. I have a Gibraltar 350C system, and I find that it takes up more space in my car , as well as more assembly time than it is worth. Maybe it's because the front (main) support bar is curved rather than straight, but I am forever having to mess around with the angle of it to get the "feet" level and stable. Personally, I find it a lot more easy to use a "traditional" format of cymbal stands and tom mountings, especially since we have to set up and tear down every time to rehearse, much less play gigs.
Anyone interested in buying my rack? (LOL!) It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now it's just a PITA...
Old 06-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the replys here.

Since posting this thread I've been looking at Gibraltar's Hybrid stand - the 9813DP foundation Tripod Tom Stand with cymbal Platform Mount. It looks intersting - Check it out on page two of this link:
http://www.promusicaustralia.com/dru...eport-2006.pdf

It might be something to consider if you want the best of both worlds in a stand-rack set-up. It looks like it will leave a small "footprint" with that set-up - especially if you go with a no-leg hat stand (clamp it to the 24" bar maybe). Anyway - I'll consider it along with other stand/rack options.

Any comments on the stand?

Thoughts?

Kona
Old 06-29-2007, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

That stand looks very similar to the Yamaha triple head or Kima triple head stands that I use. A great system. I normally will run a tom, one larger boom and a crash and one cut down boom and a splash or ice bell off 1 stand.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

That stand looks pretty cool actually. I really like that the shaft is standard rack tube size, so that you can mount horizontal bars to it. Using two stands like that, one on either side of my kick, would be very similar to the setup I have now. I'm pretty sure I could use it on one side, which I have two toms and two crashes mounted. I'm not sure how well it would support the weight of my right side rack though, with two 18 crashes and two 20 rides. I bet I could figure it out though.

I couldn't find that stand at Musician's Friend. I'm wondering what the cost is. I'd say that is a great piece of hardware and will give you lots of possible uses down the road. I'm all for multiple use hardware.