DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 PM

Default which heads?

I recently bough a pEarl Export and that is my first drum kit, so i have been using the heads that came with the drum, but i want to change them, the problem is that i dont know which head is the best for the batter and the resonant, i have an idea about which one i would like for the top of my toms but i dont know which head i should buy for the resonants(bottom)

thanks,
Old 06-22-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: which heads?

What head do you have in mind? i used to have a pearl export in 22 12 13 16 from 2003 till this time last year. I went through lots of heads. i found evans emad on bassdrum & g2's on toms worked well although i used 1 moongel on each tom & tuned very low... Maybe ec2's would be good with no moongel if you can tune well? I used some unknown black reso's on toms but g1's would be good. Ive currently got a sonor 2007 birch & im waiting for some Aquarian super 2's & black clear glass for reso's. Ive already put superkick 2's on bassdrums ( simulair to emads ) hope this helps
Old 06-22-2007, 10:58 PM

that means that i can put any head as resonant?? it doesn matter if its coated or clear??
Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM

You can use coated or clear yes but i would stick to clear & as a rule single ply. Coated has a different sound. Id say only use coated if your batter is coated although ive have due to last minute gig & heads i just had lying around. What head was you thinking? If you like remo..? pinstripes are good for exports. I would go for clear ec2's with clear g1's as reso's. I mean what sort of music do you play? What drummers do you like? Look at what they use...

This website will help. It will explain alot

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

It seems to be down right now though when i tryed it..
Old 06-23-2007, 08:03 AM

i was thinking about some remo...i like the idea of the pinstripes but if i choose pinstripe wich would be better head for resonant?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Remo ambasstor clear would be the best choice. Or maybe clear ambasstor ebony they look cool. You still havent been very clear about the music you wana play & drummers you look up to? I lover lars from metallica when i had my pinstripes. Well i still do but but his defiantly not the best drummer in the world but talk about drum licks.... I prefer evans or aquarian although im yet to try there tom & snare heads untill wednesday
Old 06-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I put G2 batters and G1 reso's on the export kit we have at church with no moongel or other muffling and it sounds pretty good, pintstripes I still think would be a little too dead. If you wanted to go remo the Emperor would be a good batter with an ambassador as the reso. I put an emad on the bass and it sounds good but I think if we change again I'll put an aquarian Superkick 1 on the bass, the Emad has nice punch to it but it also has a little bit of a click to it when struck that I don't notice on the SK1 I have on my kit at home.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

thanks a lot now I know a lot about heads, i needed it, i like hardcore, metal, post hardcore, one of my favourites is Alex rodriguez but i think its just too fast, but tommy lee its definately my favourite.

I think i will go for evans heads, well i dont know really
Old 06-23-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saocir View Post
thanks a lot now I know a lot about heads, i needed it, i like hardcore, metal, post hardcore, one of my favourites is Alex rodriguez but i think its just too fast, but tommy lee its definately my favourite.

I think i will go for evans heads, well i dont know really
Go for the g2's. If you want them more dampend stick some moongel on them but at least you have the option to take them of & let the drums sing....
Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM

okay then i will buy some g2 for my batter and g1 for the reso, but clear or coated?? which is definately better?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 AM

Nither are better.. Its just taste as they sound different. Coated is warmer sounding . I would go for clear not just because thats what i prefer but i think it would suit your style of music. Again checkout what your faverate drummer uses if you want to emulate that sound. be careful though as so many drummers in metal etc.. use triggers now its unreal. I like the sound of triggered bassdrums but not toms or snare! I like the sound of the drummer from machinehead on there latest album the blackening & he uses triggers live but i think he used a pearl birch kit with clear remo emperors for his toms in the studio un triggered on this one. He uses a maple kit with triggers live...

I like the attack of clear heads. Go g2's :)
Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 AM

you convice me ,,,i would with the g2 and the g1īs

thanks a lot
Old 06-24-2007, 11:04 PM

cool. Dont forget to let us know what ya think.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Hello there! Drumming heads are very personal but I truly recommend something from Remo. Maybe the clear pinstripe head, it has an awsome sound and it has worked for me. Good luck with the choosing.
/Marten Kaiser