DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
PinkZepplin

Default pros and cons of hitch hiking.

Anyone else know this concept album by Roger Waters. I think it's a masterpiece that gets not near enough credit as it deserves. It was Roger Waters first solo project released in 1984. It was actually supposed to be a Floyd album but when Roger came to the band with demos for this album and the Wall, the band decided to make the Wall. After the release of the Final cut, which turned out to be Roger's final Floyd album, he embarked upon his first solo album. Featuring Eric Clapton on guitar, some great drumming by Ray Cooper and Andy Newmark, and David Sanborn on Sax (as well as contripbutions from a handful of other musicians) this album is a true gem, that is strangely over-looked by many pink floyd fans. If you're a Floyd fan, or just a fan of great music, i suggest you check this album out immediately, it's worth your time.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: pros and cons of hitch hiking.

i can sing it word for word from the drll sound effect in the beginning to the 'but then...' at the end. its one of my all time favourites. some very dramatic drumming too and clapton on guitar.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

It's not bad. I can't stand the production sometimes, it's very early-80's drenched in gated reverbs and the like. Musically it's pretty standard Waters, lots of B minor chords, but it's pretty good. Definitely one to buy to increase your perspectives of music and I listen to it now and then. I also have Radio KAOS, which is fairly similar.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
PinkZepplin

yah, your right, it's not a huge departure from eric clapton's style, but it's cool to here what a pink floyd album would sound like with some different musicians. Personally I think this album has some of Eric Clapton's best playing on it.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

As with many Floyd albums (and the other Waters albums), I got completely sucked into Pros and Cons and practically listened to only this album for what felt like months. I know it so well from listening to it really loud - or on headphones, which is the best way - and kept on discovering new buried elements many listenings on.

Clapton and Sanborn are fantastic and really suit the moody storytelling style. These days I don't pick it up for years. And then I put it on again and love it just as much as I used to. Some people find Waters over-produced and say his lyrics and concepts are too much, but I think he's a master storyteller who really knows how to put music to his tales. In fact, I'm going to listen to it right now. Can't wait for the grunting guitar to kick in after the intro and Waters to belt out:

"So I stood by the roadside
The soles of my running shoes gripping
The tarmac like gunmetal magnets"

Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful album.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 PM
PinkZepplin

ha no problem. THat is a killer intro too.