DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Default tom mounting options

I decided to mount my 10" tom off to the side and shift all my toms over to the left one place or perhaps just split between and have 2 up 2 down, but anyway the point is I'm not sure what kind of tom mounts and clamps are good to have. Which clamp and which arm seem to be sturdy enough? Or should I look into something like the Gibralter thing that's all one piece? My tom has the little rim mounting system with the small l-arm holes. It's a Mapex Pro-M if that helps. These things are hard to find around here, so I'd have to hunt for it online.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: tom mounting options

I really like the RIMMs style mounts. My Tama kit has their own version, called Star-Cast. They are great. Instead of the rim mount hooking to the tension rods, the hoop has special holes for just the purpose. I like that, because the mount can me taken on or off without removing the hoop. I think the RIMM style mounts hook to the rods. I might be mistaken though.

I would just use what's already mounted on your tom. Or is it that since you are shifting the toms to the left, you can no longer use the mount in the bass drum? That's an easy fix. There are a lot of generic mounts you can use to hook it to a cymbal stand. Or go with a rack if you want to go all out. :)

These days things seem pretty standard. Is there a specific piece you are looking for? If you just have one rack tom, you could always stick it on a snare stand. If you have trouble finding something locally, online is the place to get it.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Pioneer Member

I want to know what's best for mounting a tom say on a cymbal stand.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 AM

well when i did the shift i used a 2 way clamp (yamaha) and a tom arm that i got off ebay for a fiver. I connected this to the cymbal stand and wala :p
Old 06-18-2007, 04:32 AM
fourstringdrums

For a setup with two toms to the left, I would either get a double tom stand and mount them to the left that way, or mount the tom on the right off the tom holder on the bass, and then get a Gibraltar tom clamp (or even a PDP will work just fine) and mount that off a cymbal stand for the tom on the left. You will have to find out how many millimeters that your current L-Rod is so that the clamp you buy fits your tom mount. This should be available on Mapex's website. The second method is one that I used at one point and I really enjoyed it because then the tom on the right could be more in the middle of the bass drum, and not as far to the left. This kept my hi-hat from having to pushed over further to the left in order to make room.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

I know some clamps have adjustable sizes so if you get one of those, you could use it for multiple purposes down the road and not just to mount this specific tom. That's what I love about the multi-clamps for my rack. One part fits the standard rack tube, the other part is adjustable within a certain range.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:04 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
I know some clamps have adjustable sizes so if you get one of those, you could use it for multiple purposes down the road and not just to mount this specific tom. That's what I love about the multi-clamps for my rack. One part fits the standard rack tube, the other part is adjustable within a certain range.
They make clamps where the actual L-Rod is adjustable? I've never seen that. Usually it's either like 10mm or 12mm, maybe smaller sometimes.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

No, I actually meant that the hole would be adjustable. I figured he already had L-rods that would have come with the kit.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:10 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ View Post
No, I actually meant that the hole would be adjustable. I figured he already had L-rods that would have come with the kit.
Oh I think he's looking for l-rods because he already has the tom mounting brackets themselves. Even though mounting brackets are slightly adjustable, the 12mm rods won't fit anything smaller, and the smaller rods don't fit brackets that are larger without being unstable.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

OK, well maybe I'm mistaken. I thought he needed an actual clamp, not the bar.

The adjustable mounts I'm talking about have a wing-nut and a regular nut on the same side of the clamp to give you a wide range. Check out this multi-clamp for racks. This is the thing I love. It has so many uses, because you can mount virtually any piece of gear to your rack with it. They have a max and min range, but it is a wider range than the normal clamp that is usually meant for one certain size, although you can tighten them a little more or less.

I received two of these clamps with my Tama kit. The fixed size hole is meant for the bar that mounts to the Star-Cast mount, while the adjustable side gives a small range for connecting to various cymbal stands. The fixed hole happens to fit the new boom arm I bought this weekend, so I finally mounted my newest ride, hooked up to the boom of my other ride. It is a temporary set up until I can buy a real multi-clamp for my rack.

This is the type of clamp I figured would work best for Cymbalrider. One side will adjust to mount to a variety of cymbal stands, and the other will adjust to mount to a variety of bars, or booms, etc. I use a parallel multi-clamp like this one to mount one of my 16" crashes to my other 16" crash. That is also a temp solution until I can get boom arms for the vertical bars in my rack setup.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm looking at either buying a clamp + an arm or one of these

For arms I was was considering this one

As for clamps, I'm thinking this one

The little one piece deal seems more efficient and takes up less space but I'm not sure how strong it is, of course it wouldn't have to be for a 10" tom. Then again, I've seen bad hardware before.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I'm looking at either buying a clamp + an arm or one of these

For arms I was was considering this one

As for clamps, I'm thinking this one

The little one piece deal seems more efficient and takes up less space but I'm not sure how strong it is, of course it wouldn't have to be for a 10" tom. Then again, I've seen bad hardware before.
I use the Gibraltar one piece clamps to hold up my 11x14 and my 10" if I ever fly it off a stand and it's plenty strong. I even used to use a PDP clamp on my Pacific set to hold up my 14" tom and it held up just fine. I woudl personally go with one of those and you'll have no problems.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks guys for all the help