DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
Jusstickinaround

Default Ludwig Again

I'm sorry to post this again, but I wanted to get some opinons on having the 13 on a rims opposed to without, the sound doesn't seem to alter much, so I'm just talking about cosmetics. First picture without rims with original tom holder, second picture with rims and a Gretsch tom holder.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Ludwig Again

Personally, I prefer the look of the original mount. My question would be about tuning. Does the tom tune and hold the pitch the same with the rimsmount vs the original? If the tuning and sound aren't affected, I'd go with the more classic mount to keep with the killer vintage look you have going.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by parser View Post
Personally, I prefer the look of the original mount. My question would be about tuning. Does the tom tune and hold the pitch the same with the rimsmount vs the original? If the tuning and sound aren't affected, I'd go with the more classic mount to keep with the killer vintage look you have going.
No, the tuning and sound don't seem to be effected that much. The one thing I do like about having the rims is that I can swing the tom around so you can see the badge, but having it on there makes the drum heavier and a bit more cumbersom.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:18 PM

I like the original mount better, the rims looks a little weird on there.

Oh, I saw your on ebay here are you selling the kit or is someone trying a scam?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
No, the tuning and sound don't seem to be effected that much. The one thing I do like about having the rims is that I can swing the tom around so you can see the badge, but having it on there makes the drum heavier and a bit more cumbersom.
Ooo, I didn't even notice the badge. I'd show that badge off (to totally contradict my last post)!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porker69 View Post
I like the original mount better, the rims looks a little weird on there.

Oh, I saw your on ebay here are you selling the kit or is someone trying a scam?
Well, actually I saw another vintage Ludwig kit I wanted so I'd have to sell these in order to buy those. If I don't get what I'm asking I'm going to eventually rewrap these, so it's no biggie if they don't sell.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

You should just use the bass drum mount. Kits look silly using RIMS without a virgin bass drum.
You should also consider selling those and purchasing a DW, because they are superior. Just my opinion...

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 06-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
You should just use the bass drum mount. Kits look silly using RIMS without a virgin bass drum.
You should also consider selling those and purchasing a DW, because they are superior. Just my opinion...
Ha, ha, that's a good one......no way! I've seen lots of kits using rims mounted on the kick, even DW's.
Ta, da!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

I'd use the RIMS, but fly the rack tom off the left crash stand. And keep the badge forward. Pull the factory twin tom holder and put it in the spare parts box.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'd use the RIMS, but fly the rack tom off the left crash stand. And keep the badge forward. Pull the factory twin tom holder and put it in the spare parts box.
Actually I use to do that with other kits I've owned, but I found myself messing with the positioning too much, besides the stands I have now are flat based and pretty light, not really meant to support a tom.
Here's a kit that I mounted the tom on a stand, a much sturdier stand.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

That's the ticket. And why I have my Yamaha 740 series straight stand. That'll hold my 15x12. My "other" method of chioce, ye old snare stand.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 PM

I just checked out your auction listing. Don't you think it would have been a good idea to mention your "wrap" issue? A potential buyer might like to know something like that, I know I would.........................

LVDC
Old 06-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvondrumcrazy View Post
I just checked out your auction listing. Don't you think it would have been a good idea to mention your "wrap" issue? A potential buyer might like to know something like that, I know I would.........................

LVDC
Yes, I agree, I've been getting lots of questions and that's when I tell them about the wrap. I even send them photo's.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree, I've been getting lots of questions and that's when I tell them about the wrap. I even send them photo's.
Still that is something you NEED to have on public display, how would you like it if you bought what you thought was a good condition Ludwig then found out when you received it half the wrap on one of the drums is missing?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
That's what the description part of an auction listing is for...............
To provide information about the item's condition and photo's that help get your information across to potential bidders. If you have something you want to tell people you should at least say so somewhere in the description, something like, "Please contact me for item description before bidding since the photo's I chose don't show major problems, thanks!"
Since I also sell on eBay I figured that you were fielding a lot of questions due to the lack of info. in your listing so I scrolled down to the bottom in order to see if you chose to include them, as well as your answers, at the bottom of the listing so others could see them. They weren't there.......................

Trust me on this one, you are only asking for trouble if you don't mention, up front, major condition issues in the auction listing since many will think they are seeing a fair representation of the item when looking at the photo's, no matter how blurry they are......................

LVDC
Old 06-17-2007, 07:52 PM

I personally don't care for RIMS, cosmetically, functionally or otherwise.

Nice kit, btw.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Jusstickinaround

Get this, someone who saw my kit on ebay offered me $150 for my logo head provided there are no marks on it, whoah nelly! I sent him more pictures, I payed a whopping $15 for that head from a local drum shop here, I cleaned it up and it looks bran new. They must be hard to find if he's willing to pay that much for it.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Get this, someone who saw my kit on ebay offered me $150 for my logo head, they must be hard to find if he's willing to pay that much for it.
They are, that's the smallest block logo decal they made and was one of the first versions, if not the first, Ludwig used after switching from the script logo.
They were only around for a very short period, probably just long enough for Ludwig to realize no one could make out their name from even a short distance away.................

LVDC
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
I agree. I never could figure out why people have RIMS mounts for toms, then put 20 pounds of toms and hardware on top of the bass drum. What's worse is that RIMS are heavier, increasing the weight on the bass drum.

If you're retrofitting an old kit, might as well keep it OEM, as the shell mounts worked okay for them back then. The sonic qualities of shell mounts might even be one of the things that give vintage kits a vintage sound.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I agree. I never could figure out why people have RIMS mounts for toms, then put 20 pounds of toms and hardware on top of the bass drum. What's worse is that RIMS are heavier, increasing the weight on the bass drum.

If you're retrofitting an old kit, might as well keep it OEM, as the shell mounts worked okay for them back then. The sonic qualities of shell mounts might even be one of the things that give vintage kits a vintage sound.
I have absolutely no problem mounting the tom on the kick with or without rims, these sre thick 6 ply shells. One thing I like about kits with mounted toms on the kick is the fact that the sound seems to go together, I mean as one kit and not a bunch of drums all separated from the kick. I heard a famous drummer, {I can't recall his name}, who plays a vintage kit talk about this very thing, how he doesn't like the tom to be seperated from the kick, I tend to have the same philosophy, especially with vintage drums.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem mounting the tom on the kick with or without rims, these sre thick 6 ply shells. One thing I like about kits with mounted toms on the kick is the fact that the sound seems to go together, I mean as one kit and not a bunch of drums all separated from the kick. I heard a famous drummer, {I can't recall his name}, who plays a vintage kit talk about this very thing, how he doesn't like the tom to be seperated from the kick, I tend to have the same philosophy, especially with vintage drums.
Interesting. I like RIMS mounts and virgin bass drums, but I do not think they are superior to shell mounts. They just give a different sound. Personally, I don't like a bunch of holes bored in my shell and I like the separation of resonance, but that might not always be desirable.

I've never heard about this concept of actually wanting the vibrations of the kick and tom to influence each other, but it sounds fascinating. I can understand some people liking that. I wonder why some manufacturer hasn't explored that further, developing hardware specifically designed to produce desirable secondary vibrations in the other drums.

However, RIMS stands for Resonance Isolation Mounting System. If you put a RIMS type mount on the tom, you will cripple its ability to send vibration to the bass drum and vice-versa. I use genuine Gauger RIMS mounts and its brackets are made of aluminum, which doesn't transmit sound well, and the aluminum has been tempered to be sonically dead. Steel RIMS might transmit vibration better than an aluminum design.

Plus, if you have a real vintage kit, I personally think it's good to stay true to its original design and leave it OEM. By isolating the toms and bass, it might lose some aspect of its vintage sound.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Jusstickinaround

I believe it was Billy Martin who I was refering to, I think it was in an MD interview with him. As you know he plays a vintage Rogers kit, so that would make sense.