DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Oooh yeah!!! (5pc kit becomes 10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
My only question would be, why? The setup looks very uncomfortable, not to mention the drums don't match. Bigger is not better, you'll be much happier with a smaller setup when it gets time to gig, ha,ha.
I like playing big kits but I hate moving them and since I have no roadies I'll stick to just a 4-piece kit takes less room on stage also.but hey you seem happy so congrats.all you need now is a few more cymbals

Bonzolead
Old 06-27-2007, 05:36 PM

The next step is getting some kick ass cymbals!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

thats starting to get scary
Old 06-28-2007, 01:50 AM

hmmm i just saw your drums again and i thought why don't you try and raise them a bit ?? set the bass drum to have a bit of angle in front and raise your toms 1/4 - 1/2 feet and maybe even more (but im sure you'll say f**** you when you read this hehe ) ...but i really think they will look much more profesional...they remind me now kinda kid drums....or small jazzy ones :D jmo ...they are your drums anyway ;)
Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 AM

Throne won't let ~me~ go any higher - If/when I update that thing, I might try playing with the height somewhat - but I still like the low-profile like this - so I can wrap cymbals around me (when ~they~ show up) without having to jump up in the air to reach them too :p
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 AM

ohh damn...i get what you mean..i wont be able to raise my drums anymore (if i dont get a proper throne) if i would want it. anyway they are very nice...
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 AM

The saga continues... New cymbal showed up not too long ago, played this way a couple times:

But my "new" set of used ISS brackets showed up this weekend, so I did a little more remodelling.....

I buried the black one deep enough to be hard to see the color mismatch

and moved the blue pearl to the other side

Here's a closeup of the ISS brackets being used in a way they were not designed for.....

I'd like to add one more to the bottom of this trio for better stability, but I'll see how it plays first I guess -- if these brackets were ~cheap~, it wouldn't be an issue!!!!! :(
Anyway, here's an overall view from the front, this layout does more to hide the mismatched colors, it at least looks ~mostly~ blue now, anyway...

I haven't had a chance to hammer on this setup yet, and our band is kinda taking a break right now -- guitarist is on nightshift for a few more days, and our singer... I, uh it sounds like he's in rehab..... LOL -- sounds like we won't see him for a month or so! But I'm still gonna jam on these some with or without them anyway...Just not today.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Wow, that is a ton of toms. Do you really use all of them during a gig?

Despite the drums not matching up, that looks like a great, fun little kit you have going.
My only suggestion is to get yourself a ride cymbal.

Old 07-16-2007, 04:30 AM

Well, all of 'em I had up till today got used regularly at least :-) Next time I jam I'll see how much the newest addition gets used, will have to see if I like it, due to the placement, seems OK so far though. But yeah, I mix up my fills quite a bit, never liked the same-fill-over-and-over style :-) This guarantees that ain't likely to happen LOL. The cymbal at the far right is a ride, or at best an ultra cheap ride/crash - isn't as smooth of a ride as I'd like, but it's a lousy crash, so yeah... it gets the job done :-) One of our band members says he's got a ton of used cymbals he's gonna donate to the cause, but I haven't seen 'em yet - and really ain't holding my breath either. Hopefully he'll come through though, I'm kinda curious about what he's got to add for me :-)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

ahahah this is soooooo sick, you should make a new thread for this...call it "The Pajama Kit"

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Pajama kit - I like that - would work awesome if playing for a ton of teenage groupies...--oh wait, we ain't got that yet, either LOL

I'm still on the fence for a set of 6/8/10/12/14 rototoms... if they're still there tomorrow, I'll probably bite on em.... Just cuz :-)
Old 07-17-2007, 06:16 PM

The dynamics on playing that kit must be a TOTAL NIGHTMARE considering there is no ride on the right hand side.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM

The cymbal on the right (over the red toms) ~is~ the ride. -- (or is everyone noticing that empty stand in the background?) -- granted, it's not a very ~good~ ride, but it is the ride, nonetheless.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:00 PM

OK, so I haven't been on here for a while, got frankenstein a little madder since the last post... Color still don't match in the first picture, but by the second, which is when/how it usually gets played... they look just fine :-)

I'm waiting on a rototom trio to show up, then I'll get to butcher it all again. It may prompt me to put the second kick back into the set again too. Maybe. Still on the fence there cuz I know ~that~ won't likely get used - as it is now, I can honestly say I use the whole set during a session, with the second bass... I won't be able to say that, most likely.

I just had to send out an update, since I remember a lot of comments about needing more cymbals... :-p
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

How do you tune your toms? Can you give some audio examples of your playing on the kit?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Big_Philly

Now we're talking... That's exactly what the kit needed: more cymbals. They may not be high quality drums, and I would never want a kit of that size for myself, but I'd love to have a go on that kit.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM

I don't see why you can't make that second bass drum a gong bass. Just remove the reso head and hardware, and you're in business. A kit that big NEEDS a gong bass.

I know most of this thread is old, but why should someone have to defend their pride and excitement for their kit? I'm really impressed at how inventive you've gotten with your tom mounting ideas. Can't say that I'd be able to do a kit that size justice, but I'm sure you have a good time with it. Rock on man!

How do you tune that many toms far apart enough so that they don't share the same pitches?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM

Seen all these threads about converting floor toms to bass drums... I've considerred converting the second bass to a floor tom instead :-) But I'd have to revamp everything to clear space for it (shove the whole set farther forward so I can still walk past it) That one still needs heads, I've been putting off spending the $$$ there, but that may end up coming anyway.

Tuning isn't that bad on the set, I tune 'em all by ear now, and keep a decent separation between 'em. The similar sized toms I just crank up tighter. I got the ugly black 14 cranked up higher than the 12 next to it, but it works out great, and lets me keep the placement where it can hide the fact that it's not blue.... Nobody can see the shell. My el-cheapo 8s and 10s (which I bought two matching sets... just that one of 'em showed up ~dark~ blue !!! :( ) seem to hold their tune pretty decent, don't have to mess with 'em much at all, unless I'm just going for something different. The only one I really have trouble with holding a tune is the Pearl Export. Go figure, supposed to be a high dollar drum :-) I'll toss a new head at it and see if that helps, but I think one of the lugs is just backing out on it - possibly cuz of the ISS mounting design putting odd pressures on the rim maybe? Dunno - hard to fault that when I've got others using the same system - but this one was ~designed~ for it. Go figure...

Most of the time the set gets played is random barroom jam sessions, some occasional cover stuff, and some backup emotional support for karaoke (someone doesn't wanna sing alone... -- well I ain't gonna sing, but I give you a drumbeat so you're not the ~only~ one making an a$$ of yourself :-)))))

And the set is cheap enough (ie, not a lot of overly high-dollar stuff in it -- you may have noticed :D) I don't have any real problems letting someone sit down at the set. Heads are about the only thing I worry about - and they're still cheap enough that I can still stick with the "you break it you buy it" game.

I'll try to get some jam recordings one of these nights, everything up there is so sporadic we never know what's gonna go on each night, so... we'll see :-)

Gotta get back at it -- thanks for the comments :)
Old 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmagnet View Post
6/21 -- what part of Montana you jammin in?
On the other side of the known universe, Belgrade, MT ;)
Old 01-13-2008, 06:48 PM

i would hate to gig on that thing, but i would love to jam on it : )
Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
Makes me think of Nicko McBrain. Looks like fun!!
Second! With the drums the way they're configured, and the sizes, my first thought was "Is Nicko McBrain practicing in some barspace?"

That's awesome!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'd call that kit "Kitchen Sink" because that kit has everything but the Kitchen Sink LOL,5 piece becomes 10 piece,Chevette becomes Step-Van LOL,have fun moving that kit.

Bonzolead
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Wow. You sure spent a lot of time defending your kit on this forum and handled it expertly. I truly admire your ability to take the constructive (or perhaps in the kit's case, construction) criticism so well. I enjoy this thread so much because I have neither the resources (i.e. space) or guts to go nuts with my own drums. I kind of live vicariously wild through Oldsmagnet and this here "Tominator." And yes that's my humble submission to the name game.

Oldsmagnet, I think you could add some even more crazy aspects to the kit with these: here's the MF link as well.http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...ory+percussion

They are not too expensive and would be the cherry on top of this drum sundae. Keep us posted!
Attached Images

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM

12 toms...thats out of control.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 PM

While I Love bigger sets, that is alot of toms.

My dream set has 5 toms, snare, and a timbale, single bass but Double pedal.
I just like 5 toms because of the fills and bridge options they offer.

If you like a lot of toms then have them, don't let people tell you what you should or shouldn't have. If you're having fun then why does it matter?

Now I won't tell you how to angle your toms, I am however curious if you have any speed or accuracy problems with them angled like that.
If you are up for experimenting, angle them slightly forward, just a little maybe and inch, inch & a half. You might like it.

I am also using toms of differnent colors from two different sets, and proud of it. Cream and Silver, it's awesomly horrible.
I would like to have new shells with a nice finish but I don't have the money, so I just tune them up to sound good and play 'em anyway. And I kind of like it when people say "look at that set it doesn't even match" but then when they hear it and it seems they have nothing to say! It's awesome I love being underestimated.

Nice setup man, I really like the lights snaking in and out. I don't do it often but sometimes I use those rope lights, and grats on the practice space, you should be greatful for it, I know a lot of people who are jealous and would LOVE to have a space like that. I'm one of them!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:27 AM

Wow, been away for a while, got some new hits on the thread -- thanks all for the comments. I'm inches away from buying a roc-n-soc, which ~should~ get my arse elevated a bit higher - which should let me angle the toms a bit better - right now, I'm hitting mostly rims if I turn 'em any more. But, just to keep the flames alive :-) Here's a couple new pictures, the first two were shot last night:

The ride is an unknown series of Paiste, and the upside down splash is actually the ~original~ cheap high-hat from the set - I pulled it down to keep all my cymbals "good" -- but I missed it too much - and the little Sabian splash just did ~not~ do any justice replacing it. I wanna buy one more and attach 'em to a stuffed monkey's arms.... :-) My little high-hat splash has a very Godsmack sound to it and it gets used a lot. The 8 inch wont..... So... the cymbals now ~almost~ all match.... :-)

I orderred some vinyl from a local sign-shop, not a perfect match, but cheap and effective... Took their roll-end which got one done, and am still waiting for the rest to show up. But here's a start, at least. Not perfect - but I don't think anyone has gotten the impression that I'm looking for perfection :-D

(The Ludwig is the one I recoverred. I left the original red alone, just stuck down one end of the vinyl, wrapped it, and stuck the other end - it's thin enough to not have a buildup, and preserves the red, just-in-case) I will get the other two toms and my "-22" floor tom" :-) (The one with the mic on it) they ~will~ all be blue.

And yes, so far they pretty much all get used - except the roto-toms, only cuz I can't ~reach~ 'em - which is where chair height comes in.

I ~will~ get audio someday - ...someday...

And yes, I am ~sooo~ looking forward to taking this set on the road!!! (Might just take the second bass drum, snare, and rototoms if I have to go anywhere!!!!!)
Old 02-08-2008, 05:22 AM

When I see that kit all I can think is "different strokes for different folks"

"And yes, I am ~sooo~ looking forward to taking this set on the road!!!"

You'll have to rent your own personal trailer.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

What did you do clean out the drum closet? LOL that kit is getting the Chia-Pet effect to it it just keeps growing and growing.

Bonzolead
Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

that's ridiculously insane and i love it! Yeah i would really like to spend loads of money on one thing but like you what ends up happening is i end up with loads of cheap used stuff off ebay ;)

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Dude,
This has been a fun thread. You have put some cash into your cymbals which I believe has been the most important improvement, but the drum thing is just plain funny. Not for me..... but I would love to hear you smack em'!
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM

I only have good things to say about the Roc-N-Soc thrones. Very comfortable:D
I've rewrapped a fair share of drums with awesome results. Shoot me a PM if you want the link for the place I use.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

I thought this kit was big before, i come back a few months later and it's out of control.

remember it's quality, not quantity

Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Good Call on the Roc-N-Soc, I got one that was quite old from a friend who stopped playing, and I love it. It's banged up pretty bad but still works, I'll probably get a new one when I buy my new set, and more than likely with a back rest.

I totally forgot about throne issues with tom angles, I used to have the same problem, and once I started using a higher throne I was able to decrease my tom angles.

Get yourself that Roc-n-Soc you will like it.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Nice eclectic set up. Kudos to you for being yourself.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmagnet View Post
The ride is an unknown series of Paiste
It looks a lot like mine, a Sound Formula Reflector ride. The hammering looks about the same too. Here's mine:

My logo's are still there - partially. It's a pretty loud cymbal but can be really subtle too, and the sound is very clear with bright overtones and good stick definition. And a powerful bell. Does that sound familiar? If so, it might be a Sound Formula Reflector Power Ride. But I'm pretty sure it's a sound formula reflector either way. That's a pretty nice line of cymbals, very similar to the current Paiste Signature line (same alloy and quality).
Old 02-14-2008, 12:36 AM

Here's an older shot showing the bottom of the ride - I'll have to try to get a more direct shot of it for ya, but yeah, the sound description sounds pretty close. Can't remember if there was much visible of a stamping or etching under it.

The Roc-n-Soc got a brief setback, I'd been watching for a good deal on a chrome set of 6/8/10 rotos - and found a pretty good $$$ on 6/8/10/16/18 with stands... so I jumped on it. The rotos will all match as a full-set now too. (and some leftovers may actually get sold instead LOL)

My blue vinyl is supposed to be in this week, maybe Monday I'll get back to wrapping :-)
Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Am I having a brain lapse? this pic looks wierd to me.....

How is that Blue Tom mounted? The one up high in the air in the front of the picture, between the Red and blue one.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
How is that Blue Tom mounted? The one up high in the air in the front of the picture, between the Red and blue one.
It's mounted to the adjacent tom-toms by using Pearl I.S.S.s in a very creative manner.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Wow, that is pretty creative.

Would that put extra strain on the rods?
This would effectivly link the drums together, so would the shell vibration be affected?

Do they shake a lot when played?

Would putting these same mounts on the reso's rods help or hurt? Or is it not neccesary? I guess that would force them to take the same angle wouldn't it.

Not being very familiar with these mounts I am curious about it.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM

The Pearl kept coming loose, even when I had three ISS clamps holding it down. Don't know... The concept was there, but in that form it just wouldn't stay stable. I've got that drum moved now, and supported from below with a snare stand. And I've got a few ISS mount clamps holding various pieces together still, but I've given up on using it exclusively for drum mounting. Pretty sure most of 'em show up in the various other shots I've got posted on here They do work well enough for stabilizing, but I don't trust 'em enough for actual mounting.