DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-14-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Choosing double bass pedals

Hello everybody. I am new to the site but have been reading quite a bit. I am just getting back into drumming after many years of not playing. I have never played double bass but I am looking into buying a double pedal. I know there are tons of threads about which pedal is best and I realize that everybody has a personal preference, but I have a question regarding round wheel vs. cams.

I went to the drum shop and tried every pedal there several times. It's tough to tell what is going to work without having time to play with adjustments, but two pedals kind of surfaced as being the best feel for me. One was the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide, and the other was the Pearl Eliminator strap pedal with a red cam installed (it was a single pedal, though) The Pearl double pedal at the shop was a chain unit with the black wheel installed, but it didn't feel as good as either the Iron Cobra or the Eliminator strap with the red cam. The Iron Cobra Power Glide didn't feel as good either.

My question is whether the regular round wheel on the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide will be slower than a cam pedal will be as I improve my double bass skills? In other words, I'm worried that what feels good now might not necessarily be what I should buy if I'm looking to get into some fast double bass work. So should I buy what feels "right" now, or should I buy something else that will eventually be better for me and just get used to it?

Any and all input and recommendations is greatly appreciated. I'm having a VERY hard time making a decision.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Choosing double bass pedals

Welcome to Drummerworld!!!

Its a hard question to answer, but Id say that both the Eliminator and Cobra pedals are very good in terms of adjustment, so any changes in your style should be catered for by the pedals adjustment scope.

So, either would be good, just get one that feels good and is built well.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

It's really easy to get caught up in the moments of being in the store trying out new stuff and coupled with the "unknowns" of what you might need or "think you need", makes it somewhat nerve-racking to spend the right amount of time to research.

My humble recommendation is to go back to the stores you tested, and genuinely spend more time. IF you are serious about buying, take as much time as you need to fully investigate the properties (feel, adjustment, sturdiness, etc) untill you are satisfied that you have answered all your questions. Adjustments to spring tension, beater height, bass drum head tension and your feet can make incredibly dynamic changes in the pedal action. Keep that in mind always.

Outside of that, you will "learn" how to play whatever you decide on...so without spending too much time harboring on a decision, go with one and make it the best you can.

Personally, I play a direct drive (Axis) but have played almost everything out there and would be satisfied playing either the round wheel or a cam.

Hope this helps!

Andy
Old 06-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Can't go wrong with BigDog
Old 06-24-2007, 03:02 AM
Administrator

and if you go to other gear section, you will find a hundred threads on double pedals
Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus1989 View Post
Can't go wrong with BigDog
I agree!!!

20 20 20 20

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
and if you go to other gear section, you will find a hundred threads on double pedals
This is the "other gear" section...lol.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 AM

Finally chose a set of pedals. Had it narrowed down to the Pearl Eliminator and a set of Axis X pedals. I bought the Axis pedals. I wish I had an opportunity to try the different cams and adjustments of the Pearl pedal, but the Axis felt very good. Wasn't originally considering them due to cost, but I got them at a very good price.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Congrats. I'd love to hear how your break-in goes with them. It took me a while to really come to grips with adjusting myself to play the direct drive Axis and truly be in command of what I wanted my feet to do. Just a different ballpark but now that I'm here, I'm happy I made the switch.

Andy
Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Congrats. I'd love to hear how your break-in goes with them. It took me a while to really come to grips with adjusting myself to play the direct drive Axis and truly be in command of what I wanted my feet to do. Just a different ballpark but now that I'm here, I'm happy I made the switch.

Andy

The first time I tried the pedals at the drum shop I almost wrote them off, because they felt so different from everything else that it was just kind of strange. They felt too "light" for me. But the more I played around with them, the better they felt. As you say, it was hard to be in command of my feet. After playing them at home, I think I will adapt to them just fine. For now I am compensating for that "light" feel (for lack of better term) with more spring tension. I also bought a Yamaha HS-1100 high hat stand because I needed a two-legged stand to use with the double pedal, and being direct drive, I thought the feel of it was closer to the Axis pedals than the Pearl or Tama stands.

It may not be as much of an adjustment for me as it was for you, because I'm just getting back into drumming after a 12+ year lay-off, and I never used double bass/double peddle previously.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Silver Member

Never to late to pick up something new.

It's a good attitude to have; not fighting what you think you knew about your feet and the pedals. Comfort is everything. Comfort in this business derives directly from familiarity.

Nuff said.

Good luck with em'.

Andy