DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Default My upadated d'n'b set up! (Sabian Prototypes, Zildjian, Meinl, Pearl, Sonor...)

So, here is my updated set-up:

snare drums:

Pearl Masters Custom Limited Edition Exotic 13''x4'' primary snare drum
Sonor FS 3145 S Special Edition 14''x5,5'' secondarry snare drum

drum set:

Sonor S-3005 Special Edition Jazz RS
20''x17,5'' bass drum
10''x9'' rack tom
14''x14'' flor tom

cymbals:

Sabian Signature Jojo Mayer Fierce ride 21''
Sabian Prototype Fierce hi-hats 13''
Sabian HH Duo crash 16''
Meinl Johnny Rabb Signature drumbal 8''
Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash 14''
Meinl Classic 10'' splash
Meinl Classic 12'' china

Hardware:

Sonor 400 series stands, Millenium stands, Pearl stands, Sonor P 433 bass drum pedal

Heads:

Remo heads - Coated Ambassadors on toms (batter side) Clear Ambassador resos, Coated Ambassador on the batter side of my 13x4 snare drum and Ambassador snare side reso, Coated Emperor on my secondarry 14x5,5 snare batter side and an Ambassador snare side reso, Clear PS3 with a Falam Slam patch on the bass drum (batter side) Ebony PS3 on the reso (with no hole)

Sticks:

Vic Firth Jojo Mayer Signature or modified (shortened by 1cm) Pro-Mark 5A Hickory

Enjoy!

ps. comming soon - Jojo Mayer Fierce crash 18'!
Attached Images

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My upadated d'n'b set up! (Sabian Prototypes, Zildjian, Meinl, Pearl, Sonor...)

Awesome kit man.

Theres something very attractive about your red kit, with single pedal and trad grip angled snare drum.

I like it....

nice cymbals too.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: My upadated d'n'b set up! (Sabian Prototypes, Zildjian, Meinl, Pearl, Sonor...)

I've always been a fan of your kit. I don't know what it is, but I really like your kit.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

That just looks fun!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks, guys! My set-up is almost as I want it to be, I just need

a Fierce crash 18''
a bigger china (probably 16'' or 18'')
and an A Custom 10'' splash (to replace my Meinl Classic 10'', it's nice, but an A Custom would blend together better than this Meinl one)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM
KARL MEMBER

Wow, even greater my friend!!!!
New prototypes, cool Pearl snare drum and an amazing quality Sonor kit!

Guess you have huge fun playing it!

PS: What is the other kit next to it?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Wow, even greater my friend!!!!
New prototypes, cool Pearl snare drum and an amazing quality Sonor kit!

Guess you have huge fun playing it!

PS: What is the other kit next to it?

Karl
As you noticed my new ''toy'' is the Sabian HH Duo crash 16'' it cost me just $ 170, I couldn't resist! lol

I'm planning to add a 18'' Fierce crash (obviousely) and an Istanbul Agop 18'' china pang next month!

Yeah, about that drum set in the background, I wanted to ask you about it actually... khehe

I don't know what the brand is, it says ''Maxtone'' on the reso head, but that's not the original head, the shells are made from mahogany, they are in really good condition, except all the hardware is weared out and the wrap is scratched, but that drumkit has a great potential, I just need to buy some new heads! All the badges are removed and there are stickers that say:
''Musik studio Kermer
Kassel - am stern - ruf 71371''

It came from that studio probably 20 or more years ago!

any info about that studio?

my new d'n'b set-up!

Last edited by Raymond Bloom; 06-11-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Pioneer Member

and yeah, after a long research I found a bass guitarist, if everything goes as planned my d'n'b project will start to break the ice very soon... :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post
I don't know what the brand is, it says ''Maxtone'' on the reso head, but that's not the original head, the shells are made from mahogany, they are in really good condition, except all the hardware is weared out and the wrap is cratsched, but that drumkit got great potential, I just need to buy some new heads! All the badges are removed and there are stickers that say:
''Musik studio Kermer
Kassel - am stern - ruf 71371''

It came from that studio probably 20 or more years ago!

any info about that studio?
From Kassel?!?!?! Wow, that`s not far away from my hometown.
I just asked my father (also musician) and he just knows a "Musikstudio Kerner" in Kassel...closed long time ago was actually just a small store...could that be?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
From Kassel?!?!?! Wow, that`s not far away from my hometown.
I just asked my father (also musician) and he just knows a "Musikstudio Kerner" in Kassel...closed long time ago was actually just a small store...could that be?

Karl
Oh yeah, a typing error! Yes, the name is Musikstudio Kerner!

How long time ago it was closed? And does your father know anything more about it?

Actually that kit even has it's own legend! Those drums was rented from that stored in a small club, where Mick Jagger had an afterparty, (he just came there after a gig with Stones) he got drunk and bought that kit for a drummer who was playing there, after some years a friend of this guy, also a drummer, bought these drums from him, the next owner is my brother and now it belongs to me.

Well it does sound pretty unreal but well, weird things happend, although I don't believe that story! But that's a great set of drums, they did the job very well before I got my Sonors!

I'll make some pictures of that drumkit soon!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Raymond, I really love your setup and I always have done. It just oozes class. Beautifully set up and great taste in gear, you should be rightfully proud of what you have there.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Raymond, I really love your setup and I always have done. It just oozes class. Beautifully set up and great taste in gear, you should be rightfully proud of what you have there.
Thanks, mate! Every time I play 'em I'm all excited, it's not finished yet, I need to buy a Fierce crash 18'', Istanbul 18'' Agop china pang (replacing my Meinl Classic 12'' china) and a remo Tunable Sound Shape 10''

then this kit will be +/- finished and I'll reach the ultimate drumming nirvana... lol

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:36 PM
KARL MEMBER

He said that it was a very small store...which was not great! lol Nothing more than a normal small music store without so much quality...
But he couldn`t tell me and I couldn`t find out when it was closed.

So your story is hard to believe...but why not? :-D

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
He said that it was a very small store...which was not great! lol Nothing more than a normal small music store without so much quality...
But he couldn`t tell me and I couldn`t find out when it was closed.

So your story is hard to believe...but why not? :-D

Karl
Interesting, but these drums do sound pretty darn good, I was very surprised to see mahogany shells! wow
I really need to change all the heads to get 100% potential out of the kit!!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Gold Member

for some reason your kit has always stood out to me. i love it.

the red sparkle looks fantastic, and you have great taste in cymbals. good stuff man.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Always loved your kit man. How do you tune your 3005 snare. Not sure if i have the exact same snare but i do own the 3005 steel snare. Make sure to post audio as soon as the DnB project is up.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin Groover View Post
Always loved your kit man. How do you tune your 3005 snare. Not sure if i have the exact same snare but i do own the 3005 steel snare. Make sure to post audio as soon as the DnB project is up.
Thanks guys, I've put a lot of effort to get my kit as it is and researched for the right cymbals that would fit perfectly! I'm really happy with my drum kit!

About the snare drum, yes that's basically the same regular Sonor Force 3005 snare drum, it just has a Special Edition badge because it came with the drum kit, which is a Special Edition!

It has a Coated Emperor on top and a Clear Ambassador Snare Side on bottom, I tune it as low as it goes, but not too low till it getts muddy, I still want some clearness out of it, the bottom head is tuned higher than the top, with 2 lugs detuned on the snare side near the snare wires, to eleminate buzzing

All in all it sounds kind of trashy just like Jojo Mayer's snare drum on the Modern Drummer 2005 performance with Nerve, but with a little bit of ring, Jojo muffles the snare drum I keep it wide open! Because of the low tuning, 2ply head those overtones sound almost gated!

My primary snare drum, the Pearl MC LE is tuned up really high to get maximum contrast between those two snare drums

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

That Sonor kit looks great with that finish, I love the BD spurs. Nice selection of cymbals as well and the I like the tom sizes.

Tom
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Nice. I tune mine med-high. Reso slightly higher. Its a nice snare for what it is. Only problem with the 3005 steel snares is the lazy production crew. They put the "Force 3005 Full maple" badge on them all...haha
Old 06-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Nice. I tune mine med-high. Reso slightly higher. Its a nice snare for what it is. Only problem with the 3005 steel snares is the lazy production crew. They put the "Force 3005 Full maple" badge on them all...haha
haha, yeah, I've noticed that too!

For me this snare drum is perfectly what I wanted, I don't need a really high end snare drum for the sound I was looking for, I knew I wanted a steel snare, and the fact that it has 2,3 power hoops is really nice!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
That Sonor kit looks great with that finish, I love the BD spurs. Nice selection of cymbals as well and the I like the tom sizes.

Tom
thanks, Tom!

Those bass drum spurs are cool, I like the fact that I can remove them and because of that there is no problem fitting the bass drum in a soft case! Sometimes it's a problem with bass drums that have some bulky spurs

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Gold Member

wow, the set up looks amazing, and very comfy to play ;) do you have some sound clips?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq View Post
wow, the set up looks amazing, and very comfy to play ;) do you have some sound clips?
I recorded some demos, but they didn't turn out what I excpected, so they aren't available - sorry!!

but as I sayed before, I have found a bass guitarist, that was the missing person of my project, if everything goes well, I'll be starting to break the ice next month :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Whats the line-up for the 'Blooms Project'
Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Whats the line-up for the 'Blooms Project'
haha, ''Blooms Project''...

actually a good name would be r'n'b (my initials) but that would confuse with r&b music, people would get a missimpression about it, I don't know the name yet...!

The line up is not 100% strict, I have a really really great sax player, who also could mess with voccoder and some other electronics, also there would be a keyboard player and probably a dj, those are the people who would like to participate in my project, basically all the rhythm tunes and rhythm sections will be composed by me and the bass player!

I hope it goes as planned, I have waited too long for this to finally happen!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:47 AM

sweet set-up........something to be said for simplicity. Nice bronze too. Man am I becomming hooked on this kit like the others???
Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG View Post
sweet set-up........something to be said for simplicity. Nice bronze too. Man am I becomming hooked on this kit like the others???
Thanks, Craig!
About the simplicity, it's relative, for me this drum kit is almost maximum what I would ever want to set-up! It's ''designed'' to be easy to carry around, light-weight (I have just two cymbal stands and a hi-hat stand) and amazing soundwise!! :-)

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 06-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

That's a really cool setup. I like the like the four piece base plus a side snare configuration. Can't wait to hear from your project, I'm interested in hearing more drum n' bass stuff.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Loving the easy setup, and the cymbal setups :D
Old 06-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Really sweet set. Best of luck on your project. My only advice is to be careful with your sticks on your bass shell. They will leave marks on that beautiful redness from the vibrations in a very short time.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM

hey raymond love the kit and the cymbal setup. i was wondering what that cymbal that you've got lying on your second snare is and what it does?
solo from 0:52 to 1:25 is my favourite
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 AM

itīs evident that you hate jojo mayer.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM

You know how I feel about your kit Raymond, absolutely fantastic! I want to play it at least once in my life time... A*
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsh View Post
it´s evident that you hate jojo mayer.
I hate myself a bit more, because I'll never be THAT good lol
he's an amazing drummer and I feal blessed that I had a chance to meet him and learn from him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmak_1 View Post
hey raymond love the kit and the cymbal setup. i was wondering what that cymbal that you've got lying on your second snare is and what it does?
That's a Meinl Generation-X Johnny Rabb Drumbal 8''!
Well, try it out - put a splash cymbal on your snare drum (8'' or 10'' would be the best sizes, also 6'') and see how it changes the snare sound! And check out Johnny Rabb's videos, he's top notch with that stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuric View Post
Really sweet set. Best of luck on your project. My only advice is to be careful with your sticks on your bass shell. They will leave marks on that beautiful redness from the vibrations in a very short time.
Thanks, man! I put them on my bass drum just for the pictures! Jojo's sticks are shorter than regular 5A and my bass drum is 17,5'' deep so they would fall of anyway while playing! Also, I never put anything on my bass drum, for the same reason you mentioned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummersgroove View Post
You know how I feel about your kit Raymond, absolutely fantastic! I want to play it at least once in my life time... A*
You're from GB? It's a possibility that I could play some gigs there next year, but I'm not that sure!
Anyway, if you're in Latvia, leave me a message! 8)

btw, tomorrow I'm receiving my Sabian Fierce crash 18'' so... picture time!! lol
cheers!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM

I really like your set-up and love your cymbal selection.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:42 AM

i got my fierce chrash two weeks or so for 130 €, a new one. :-)
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 AM

love this kit... great cymbals
Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Here I am on your thread again......

I just really love your kit.

I think I like it more than even Jojo's!!!!

*bumpage*

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM

Wow, you must really like Jojo Mayer :)
I like the Jojo setup, complete with snare tilted forward!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Great kit ! have you some music or sound of your kit ??? I really like to listen to it !!!!

peace