DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Official Rugby World CUp (and the lead up tests) Thread

GO ARGENTINA!

Oh yes. That makes me happy.

Sorry you French people, seven-hundred year rivalry and all.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Woo! Argentina 17 France 12
I got up at 4:30 this morning to watch the game.

Very scrappy rugby; lots of handling errors. Certainly not the best way to start a Wolrd Cup.

I'm just hanging out for 11pm tonight (or 3.45pm in Lyon) when Australia plays Japan. Berrick Barnes is making his test debut, and I think they want to have the game well and truly sealed by the time he gets on.

I may just watch the NZ vs Italy game too...

I love the RWC.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Australia 91
Tries: Elsom 3, Mitchell 2, Latham 2, Barnes 2, Sharpe, Ashley-Cooper, Latham, Smith, Freier
Conversions: Mortlock 9/12, Giteau 2/2
Penalties: Mortlock 2/2

Japan 3
Penalties: Ono 1/1

New Zealand 76
Tries: Howlett 3, McCaw 2, Sivivatu 2, Collins 2, Muliaina, Jack
Con: Carter 7, McAlister 2
Pen: Carter

Italy 14
Tries: Stanjevic, Bergamasco
Con: Bortolussi, de Marigny con

Great night of rugby. We didn't play that well; I was hoping for a 100+ point victory, but such is life. Berrick Barnes scored a try in his test debut at the world cup and Rocky Elsom got 3.
Goodnight
Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Yeah... England 28

USA 10

Terrible. Terrible.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Haha. England suck.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Haha. England suck.

Ergh. No comment. If we learned to LOOK where we passed, we could've actually had a better result. First lesson of Rugby. LOOK when you pass.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Yeah... England 28

USA 10

Terrible. Terrible.
HOW does that happen?! England better shape up!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Well the ENglish cricket and football teams both had great matches, it just wouldn't be very english if all our teams did well on the same day.

I'm sure everything will click into place come the South Africa match. Just like it never did for England at last year's World Cup.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah... England 28

USA 10

Terrible. Terrible.
Wow. A team paying $5000 to win the cup lost to a team paying $34 (according to the TAB Sportsbet numbers I looked at the other day) by a margin of 18 points. That is disgraceful.

I know who's coming out on top of Pool A. I'd say Jack White and the Springboks are quite happy with themselves and their next four matches at the moment.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I think England will shape up. It's just lucky that they had their first match against a team that weren't going to win. As for Wales...
Old 09-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

It's half time with the 'Boks up 21 to 7 against Samoa
Talk about a physical game, I haven't see hits this big in a while. Just wow.
Samoa is playing really good, if a bit undisciplined, rugby. I'm not sure how long it will last however.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Shame. I was enjoying this match and now it's turned into a SA rampage. It was really good and I genuinely thought that Samoa had a chance of winning it right up until ten minutes into the second half. I'm really starting to miss Rugby. I'm going to have to start playing again.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Pioneer Member

On a side note, France lost, Ireland plays Namimbia. I'm sure the Morale of the French is damaged a bit so that's some good news fer Ireland, but I still don't take the French lightly. I'm going to say Ireland and France comes out of their group.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm not so sure. I'd like to see Argentina go through, but it's going to be the group to watch. Assuming England lose against South Africa and Australia do their bit in Group B, then England will play Australia in the Quarter-Finals. It's going to get interesting if that's the case. I'm hoping either Australia lose one of their matches (unlikely) or England beat South Africa (possible, but at this stage, unlikely). Curiouser and curiouser...

Come on Namibia. Giving the Irish a spanking! Ireland 27 Namibia 17.

Last edited by Mediocrefunkybeat; 09-09-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

What's happening to the Eurpean teams?!
Ireland 27 Namibia 17
England 28 USA 10
France 12 Argentina 17
Wales 42 Canada 17
Scotland 56 Portugal 10

Ok, so all but France won, and France lost against a Pumas side who played very well. However, there is ow a very real chance thatFrance could be the first host nation to be eliminated at the end of the pool matches in world cup history.
Wales' win is at least slightly respectable, even though they were down 17-9 until they took their 'resting' best players off the bench.
Ireland fell to pieces after a great start and barely survived to tell the tale. And that is with Brian O'Driscoll back in the side.
As for England, where do I start?.... Although at least they had a better margain than Ireland.

Scotland, on the other hand, looks a lot more promising than I first imagined. Wales fits into this same catergory for me, even after their "don't worry, our B-Team can beat them easily" debarcle that could have ended in tears (not mine, of course).

I'm hoping Ireland will get their act together and not lose any pool matches and come out of the pool matches with prefferably agrentina.Hopefully England makes it out of their pool and face Australia in the first quarter final. New Zealand to face Argentina in their first quarter. Ireland to face Scotland in their quarter final. South Africa to face Wales.

Of that, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland progress. Australia plays NZ and (hopefully) comes out on top. South Africa plays Ireland and RSA (though I'd prefer Ireland) come out on top. Australia vs. RSA final*. You heard it here first

*knowing my luck, this will not be the case and it will be RSA vs NZ. Either way, a great match.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

Ozzy, your permutations sound just about right. Except I'm not 100% convinced the Aussies will take the AB's in the semis. It will be a huge game though. I'm kind of hoping for/expecting a NZ - SA final. But a lot can happen before then.

Our game against England on Friday is BIG. I don't think the Boks are underestimating this English side at all. They might have stuttered a bit against the USA but they're quality and they have depth. Olly Barkly looked the part too. And well done to him for getting up after that disgusting spear tackle.

Speaking of terrible tackles - did anyone see Brian Lima's late shoulder charge on Andre Pretorius? He's been getting away with it for almost 2 decades now and everyone just seems to accept it as his "chiropractor" trademark. He should have been yellow or red carded. And he probably would have if he hadn't concussed himself in the process and gone off.

Predictions for top-try scorer of the tournament? I'd say it will be between Howlett and Habana. Three of Habanas four tries were completely self-crafted with unreal stepping and speed. I guess he will be a marked man in the big games.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
Ozzy, your permutations sound just about right. Except I'm not 100% convinced the Aussies will take the AB's in the semis. It will be a huge game though. I'm kind of hoping for/expecting a NZ - SA final. But a lot can happen before then.

Our game against England on Friday is BIG. I don't think the Boks are underestimating this English side at all. They might have stuttered a bit against the USA but they're quality and they have depth. Olly Barkly looked the part too. And well done to him for getting up after that disgusting spear tackle.

Speaking of terrible tackles - did anyone see Brian Lima's late shoulder charge on Andre Pretorius? He's been getting away with it for almost 2 decades now and everyone just seems to accept it as his "chiropractor" trademark. He should have been yellow or red carded. And he probably would have if he hadn't concussed himself in the process and gone off.

Predictions for top-try scorer of the tournament? I'd say it will be between Howlett and Habana. Three of Habanas four tries were completely self-crafted with unreal stepping and speed. I guess he will be a marked man in the big games.
Brian Lima's tackles are somewhat illegal, and they should really be clamped down on pending an investigation. They are a spectacle (and to be honest, I like watching those sort of tackles just for the fun) but they are dangerous and having been on the receiving end of many, many illegal tackles I can vouch for how painful they can be.

As for that tackle on Barkley. Wow. That was a serious serious tackle. The player should have been instantly sent off for that one as far as I'm concerned, it was highly dangerous. Watching the replay, it actually resembled a wrestling souplex and I'm surprised that Olly Barkley got up from that one as quickly as he did. Absolutely disgusting and (although fun to watch) there should be much harsher treatment of any such offenders in the future. At grass roots level over here, illegal tackles are generally dealt with very well. I was sent off on at least two occasions for illegal tackles and once for charging down a maul (I ran in from about thirty yards). This sort of enforcement is to be encouraged at ALL levels of Rugby. International right down to the lowest grass roots level.

England are a good team all told. It really is a case of actually just getting rid of the handling errors and inducing some self-belief. There's nothing inherently 'wrong' with our game and our players are really very good. It's just knock-forwards and occasional lapses of concentration that are all mental aspects of the game. Perhaps some creativity would be appreciated in the backs as well; that made the difference last time around. England had already peaked well before the last World Cup and were actually in their poorest form for months when we won it, and there was no sense of creative play in the backs. They brought in Mike Catt (who can't kick at all really) and he set up some great runs and some very clever ideas against serious opposition. We need more players like that and players like Martin Johnson who can actually impose some self-belief. When we have that sorted out, there is actually a realistic chance of us doing very well this time around.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hey,I said that was what i was hoping for, not that it was guaranteed.

As for Lima, yeah, I saw that! Wowsers, I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those. Actually, for that matter, I also would not want to be in between the Samoan #8 and the try line. Did you see the hit up where Schalk Burger and your #8 tackled him simultaneously & standing next to each other? Wow, that was huge. He would have got through had your 8 not managed to get a hold of one of his legs after he had been bounced off from the tackle. To bump Burger and another man of his size, stature and quality is no mean feat, even by Lomu standards (dare I say. He could probably do it, but it still would not be easy)

BIIIIIIIG hitting game, that one. I loved every minute...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Watching the first half of the Samoan match was the most fun I've had watching Rugby in a long time. Hits like that are just entertaining.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Disgusted with the result with Ireland, should not have conceded 17 points and should've scored a hell of a lot more than 32. Hopefully they'll get it going in the next few matches. I'm surprised Canada was able to score 17 points! Good for them, hopefully it'll boost their morale to help them beat Fiji. LET'S GO CANADA AND IRELAND!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
Actually, for that matter, I also would not want to be in between the Samoan #8 and the try line. Did you see the hit up where Schalk Burger and your #8 tackled him simultaneously & standing next to each other? Wow, that was huge. He would have got through had your 8 not managed to get a hold of one of his legs after he had been bounced off from the tackle. To bump Burger and another man of his size, stature and quality is no mean feat, even by Lomu standards (dare I say. He could probably do it, but it still would not be easy)
That no. 8 is an absolute monster. And so is their 120kg wing. Can't believe the thighs on that guy. Unfortunately Jean de Villiers is out of the World Cup - torn bicep muscle. That's heartbreaking for him as he missed out in 2003 due to a last minute injury too. But given the physicality of the game, we're probably lucky that he was the only serious casualty.

Can't wait for the England game on Friday. That's almost like a knock out game in the middle of the pool stages. So much will depend on the result.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Really whoever wins that game won't play Australia in the Quarters if all goes as expected. A lot to play for; the best team will win.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Silver Member

So Schalk Burger gets cited for a clumsy tackle in the air - which was dealt with in the game and penalised - and banned for 4 matches, and Brian "The Chiropractor" Lima gets off scot-free - not a warning, yellow card or citing - for his no-arms, late and high tackle on Andre Pretorius. I smell a huge dumpster of rats with this IRB and its citing policy. Call me paranoid, but someone is trying a little too hard to "make an example" of Burger. Some people would appear to be trying to spoil SA's chances of making the final.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
So Schalk Burger gets cited for a clumsy tackle in the air - which was dealt with in the game and penalised - and banned for 4 matches, and Brian "The Chiropractor" Lima gets off scot-free - not a warning, yellow card or citing - for his no-arms, late and high tackle on Andre Pretorius. I smell a huge dumpster of rats with this IRB and its citing policy. Call me paranoid, but someone is trying a little too hard to "make an example" of Burger. Some people would appear to be trying to spoil SA's chances of making the final.
I'm not sure that's the case, but you have got a point. There is a double-standard at work.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Sorry, I know this is totally off-topic, but thought i'd pick your brains; was looking at the twenty20 cup fixtures and saw with some surprise that the final is scheduled for 2pm on a monday afternoon. Is it a public holiday in S.A. on that day?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

This just in, Schalk Burger has had his suspension halved from four to two games. I'm guessing you're happy with this decision, Katman. It's certainly good for the 'Boks.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

You know what, Ozzy, I'm not happy. The appeal board admitted that the original judges had made a mistake in assessing that Burger had gone for the player and that he had in fact attempted to play the ball. And on the strength of this they halved his sentence. But if they agree that he went for the ball, then he should have been exonerated completely. Penalty for the clumsiness but no more. Which is how the referee and the touch judge saw it. There is little difference between missing 4 games and missing 2 games - the England game is probably the biggest game till the finals, should we get that far. And he's out for that one. So he's back to face the USA and, possibly, Wales in the QF. Big deal.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know what, Ozzy, I'm not happy. The appeal board admitted that the original judges had made a mistake in assessing that Burger had gone for the player and that he had in fact attempted to play the ball. And on the strength of this they halved his sentence. But if they agree that he went for the ball, then he should have been exonerated completely. Penalty for the clumsiness but no more. Which is how the referee and the touch judge saw it. There is little difference between missing 4 games and missing 2 games - the England game is probably the biggest game till the finals, should we get that far. And he's out for that one. So he's back to face the USA and, possibly, Wales in the QF. Big deal.
It's still better than the original 4 games though...
Old 09-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

England were terrible.

That's all I've got to say about that.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
England were terrible.

That's all I've got to say about that.
I concur. 36-0 from a team that will most likely still make the quarters is quite terrible.

I'm looking forward to the two games tonight; NZ vs. Portugal followed by Australia vs. Wales.
This is our big must-win pool match, and after Wales losing 11 of it's last 15 tests, I'm quietly confident.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member

Australia 32 Wales 20.

A "satisfactory" game according to Wallabies coach John Conolly. I agree. We should have won by >20 points.

Berrick Barnes started at flyhalf due to Steve larkham having a knee knock the other day; and the young fella played extremely well for his 2nd test cap.

I also watched the first half of the NZ B squad vs Protugal, and that was ridiculous. I hate Un-Zed so much..... yet I can't deny how good they are. All we can do is hope that they choke once again...
Old 09-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Pioneer Member

What the hell is going on? Ireland 14- Georgia 10 ????!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

It seems things generally aren't looking good for the northern hemisphere teams...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

He he he - 36-0. And then we did the double over England yesterday in the twenty20 cricket. Maust say, that was on of the best Bok performances I've seen in years coupled with one of the most lacklustre England perrformances. Fourie du Preez and Butch James were outstanding. And I don't think the Andy Farrell experiment worked at all. Ditto for Catt at flyhalf. So our next game against Tonga is a top-of-the-pool clash.

And I agree, Ozzy. Barnes had a great game in Larkham's absence. Bit of a scrappy game at times, but still very entertaining.

The game I'm really looking forward to is Ireland vs Argentina - think it's one of the last games in the pool stages. That result will determine whether France or Argentina top their pool (and most likely face us in the semis, if we get past Wales in the quarters).
Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Just got my first look at the new England kit. Nice.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Updates:
Argentina 63 - Namibia 3
France 25 - Ireland 3
Australia 55 - Fiji 12
RSA 30 - Tonga 25
NZ 40 - Scotland 0
England 44 - Samoa 22

I think thats all the (main) games of late.

Brian Lima was cited for a dangerous tackle on Johnny Wilkonson
Steve Larkham may make a return from knee surgery to play against Canada
Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Having watched most of Australia against Fiji yesterday, I can definitely see that Australia ought to win this tournament if all their cylinders fire. When they weren't dropping the ball, it was beautiful flowing Rugby, quick recycling of the ball and creative back play, with a solid defence.

Yes, I'm betting on Australia to win the World Cup.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Having watched most of Australia against Fiji yesterday, I can definitely see that Australia ought to win this tournament if all their cylinders fire. When they weren't dropping the ball, it was beautiful flowing Rugby, quick recycling of the ball and creative back play, with a solid defence.

Yes, I'm betting on Australia to win the World Cup.

really? please don't say that, it scares me, cause you might be right. My money will always be with the AB's, i don't think they played that well in the scotland game, they didn't finish 4 tries, and they dropped the ball loads, knocked it on, AND i'm worried that they haven't had any proper games in the pool games...

lots to worry about, but i do think they are the best side there......but that may not mean they'll win it.

if oz win again....sheesh, not 3 times...

SA looked a little rubbish the other day, the french are getting better and as you say oz are looking good, still anyones cup me thinks...

...but NZ should take it....will NZ play france in the quarters? that game will be huge....
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
really? please don't say that, it scares me, cause you might be right. My money will always be with the AB's, i don't think they played that well in the scotland game, they didn't finish 4 tries, and they dropped the ball loads, knocked it on, AND i'm worried that they haven't had any proper games in the pool games...

lots to worry about, but i do think they are the best side there......but that may not mean they'll win it.

if oz win again....sheesh, not 3 times...

SA looked a little rubbish the other day, the french are getting better and as you say oz are looking good, still anyones cup me thinks...

...but NZ should take it....will NZ play france in the quarters? that game will be huge....
The All Blacks are often the best team coming into the cup, and we all know the reults.

I will shave my head if we win again. Wow, that would be a good night I would have....

One of the great things about the RWC is that almost any of the top-tier teams can win (unlike the local Australian Football League, where Geelong has been more of a dominant force than the ABs comparitively, and my money is on them winning comfortably in next Saturdays Grand Final)
Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Another South African citing (Francois Steyn) that turned out to be bullsh*t. Tongan management said their hand was forced into laying the bogus complaint. Suddenly the conspiracy theories about disrupting our World Cup don't seem so far-fetched anymore. Clearly different sets of rules for different teams. Carl Hayman's two clear punches in the Italy game? Ah, that's really nothing. Drew Mitchel's spear tackle? Rugby's not tiddlywinks. Gareth Thomas's late shoulder charge? He's just an uncompromising character, is all. Aussie hooker Moore's late, off-the-ball shoulder charge on Wales' Shane Williams? Boys will be boys, eh? Brian Lima's disgusting late, high, no-arms tackle on Andre Pretorius? That's just the old chiropractor doing his thing - not even a warning. But when he commits a simliar offence on Johnny Be God, he gets cited and banned for 3 games. Call me cynical, but I smell a big old stinking rat.