DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-09-2007, 01:28 AM

Default My first kit.

Yea, just got my first kit, so here's some pics of it. It's a green rockwood set.

Just ignore the trash and boxes in the background, it's just your typical garage scenario.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My first kit.

Cool, the first thing you want to do is get off those stock heads and get good ones, it will make the drums actually sound pretty decent.

Next you should set up your drums closer to each other, and your hi-hat closer and a little bit lower unless you are comfortable with it that high.

Set the toms up so they are close together and not so much on an angle. What you could do is just forget the second tom and just have a 4 piece. It will make setting up your kit easier and will look nicer.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to Drummerworld. Ignore the trash (!?!), man, them plastic water bottles are talkin' to me. Those things make some slammin' drums, I still have a set somewhere. Take the wrinkles out of the floor tom and start playin'. Read the forum here and before you know it, you'll have better cymbals and heads.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 AM

Yea, I'm looking for some good cymbals and heads. And yes, that floor tom head is...*vomit* but it still sounds decent. When I get a job this summer, and I go back to the store for cymbals and heads, I get a 50% returning customer discount. First thing I'm going for is Some Zildjian ZBT hi-hat, crash, ride, and splash. Then maybe some evans heads. I've already got remo heads, and they sound okay'ish. So I gotta see what the evans sound like. I'm going to be putting a lot of money into my drums. And I'm great full for all the tips on this site.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 AM

It looks nice, tune that floor tom, and try to make everything closer, fills will be much easier..

And as for cymbals I would recommend not ZBT's haha, I bought them just wanting new cymbals and now I wish I had saved up for nicer cymbals... Look around at other brand's beginniners cymbals like Sabian B8's or Paiste PST5 or something..

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Gold Member

Hey man, welcome to Drummerworld :)

it's a great feeling to have your first set, isn't it :)?

What I would recommend is you look on the forum through the drumsets people own here, so you can see what most people are comfy with. As said before, your toms are much more comfy if they are closer together, probably just above the kick in height, and the hi-hat will be comfy when you can play it with your arms relaxed, and I assume that would be a lot lower.
In the end everything is personal, but there are some guidelines :).

Have a great time playing
Old 06-10-2007, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats on the set! Gotta love green drums.

I suggest looking into used cymbals instead of ZBT's. Youll thank yourself later.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

I second the recommendation on changing your setup to a four-piece with a cymbal where the 2nd tom normally is. It really helps you understand a lot more about toms and fills because you get more creative with only 2 non-snare voices in your setup. It is very wise also to change the tom angles to flatter and closer positions.

Cymbals... if you save up for anything save up for cymbals, you can regret them more than anything else or you can love them for decades to come.

Good luck, congrats on the kit! The finish is awesome compared to my kit's basic black...