DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Default G2 over G1 or EC2 over something else?

sorry but for some reason my search function wont work, it keeps saying ERROR so i had to make a thread. so heres my dilema, as you may have heard from my other thread, im overhauling my drums with a new paintjob and new heads.

i was told to go with G2's and G1's but i was also told to go with EC2's over evans resonant glass. are ec2's better than g2's?

im looking for very clear heads because i want to expose the new stained interior of my drums, and im looking for a very WARM and FULL sound, almost as if the toms were bigger then they actually are, a very heavy metal/metallica sound

im a really big nOOb when it comes to heads. please respond quickly i have to order these quick if i want to get them in time for my drums to be complete

thanks, and sorry about the repetative thread, STUPID INTERNET EXPLORER

Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: G2 over G1 or EC2 over something else?

Id go with g2's but the ec2's are are more muffled like pinsripes. I think it depends what kit you got? i.e what wood its made out of & what ply. Ive just got a sonor 2007 9 ply birch & im finding i dont have to dampen my heads anymore as the drums are very focused anyway. I only have remo ux stock heads on at the moment but i didnt need any dampening & when i put moongel on just to see what would happen it just killed the drum dead! My old pearl export the best sound i got was with g2's with one moongel on each tom. In my case a 12x10 16x16. The ec2's probably would have sounded great on them with no moongel. Hope this helps
Old 06-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

well my drums are very dull, thats one thing i need to put up, i need some anti muffling. so should i go with the g2's then? alright ill do it. as long as they're not as dull as the ec2's ill get them.

MY BASS: im about to order an EMAD and a SUPERKICK. this seems like a really good combination, any objections?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM

The standard EMAD and Superkick heads are designed to be batter heads so I wouldn't go putting an EMAD on the batter and Superkick on the reso or vice versa, sorry if I misunderstood.

You should really get either an EMAD or Aquarian Superkick (I or II) for your bass drum batter side and then match that up with either an EMAD Reso (Different head to the standard EMAD) or an Aquarian Regulator for your reso head.

I have an Aquarian Superkick I on my bass drum batter side and it is great, gives a lovely loud thump.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:39 PM
44Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
well my drums are very dull, thats one thing i need to put up, i need some anti muffling. so should i go with the g2's then? alright ill do it. as long as they're not as dull as the ec2's ill get them.

MY BASS: im about to order an EMAD and a SUPERKICK. this seems like a really good combination, any objections?
Since you claim your drums sound very dull I suggest SINGLE ply heads all around the toms. Don't muffle them at all.

With the EMADS and Superkicks they seem to be all attack and not so great resonance , even when you remove the muffle ring on the emad...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Would have to disagree with you Ronin about the resonance of the Superkicks. I can only speak for the single ply Superkick I that I have but its definitely not just about attack. For me it gives a really nice boomy thump with the perfect amount of resonance. It certainly isn't a slappy attack focused sound. I have it tuned a bit higher than my reso head but neither are loose. I expect loose tuning ie. just tighter than finger tight, would most likely give a very attack based sound but you can definitely get your bass drum to boom with the Superkick I by tuning it a bit higher.

I have heard that the EMADS give a bit more of a slap sound than the Superkicks which is why I went with the Aquarian but then there are loads of people that swear by them.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurders View Post
The standard EMAD and Superkick heads are designed to be batter heads so I wouldn't go putting an EMAD on the batter and Superkick on the reso or vice versa, sorry if I misunderstood.

You should really get either an EMAD or Aquarian Superkick (I or II) for your bass drum batter side and then match that up with either an EMAD Reso (Different head to the standard EMAD) or an Aquarian Regulator for your reso head.

I have an Aquarian Superkick I on my bass drum batter side and it is great, gives a lovely loud thump.
hey man i dont know what your talking about with both on the batter or whatever switching them? but i wanted an aquarian superkick 2 on the batter and an EMAD with the muffle ring on the reso, sorry if i didn't make it clear at the begining

Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
i wanted an aquarian superkick 2 on the batter and an EMAD with the muffle ring on the reso
That seems a bit of a strange combination, if you are going to use an EMAD as a reso head then you probably should make sure you get the specially designed EMAD reso, this is a different head to the standard EMAD. Check the Evans website for more info.

Similarly Aquarian have a specially designed Regulator reso head to compliment the Superkick batter heads, see the Aquarian website for details.

So, rather than mixing a superkick batter with an EMAD on the reso, it would make more sense to go with these combinations:

Batter: Aquarian Superkick I or II
Reso: Aquarian Regulator

or,

Batter: Evans EMAD
Reso: Evans EMAD Reso (different head to the standard EMAD)
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

actually iv seen quite alot of people w/ SK batter and EMAD reso's
Old 06-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Pioneer Member

If durability is an issue go with the G2's for you batters and G1 for your reso. If you really want to open the sound up go with G1's on the reso as well and maybe the resonant glass on the bottom. That should be a very open resonant sound the G2/G1 combo will have a little more focus to it.

As far as the bass head I've never seen anyone use the actual EMad batter head for the resonant head. What hurders was referring to is both the Emad and the Superkick are considered batter heads and using one of those for the batter and the other for the reso is not the typical setup as both are pretty muffled heads. What he was suggesting was going with either the Emad or Superkick for your batter head and buying the appropriate resonant head to match.

For the Emad batter this is the resonant head that matches http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RBAE

For the Superkick series from Aqaurian this is the head I use for the reso. http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...play.asp?id=13

I personally use the Superkick1 with the regulator ported reso and it sounds great, if you want to open the sound up I'd stay with a single ply like the SK1 or Evans emad and make sure to put a flam patch on to protect the head. The Emad does have a little slappier attack sound to it for me compared to the SK1.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

ahhhhhhh, i dont know where everyone is getting this batter stuff from here look....

BATTER

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=449350

RESO

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=447855

i dont think ive ever seen an emad batter but i dunno

Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
hey man i dont know what your talking about with both on the batter or whatever switching them? but i wanted an aquarian superkick 2 on the batter and an EMAD with the muffle ring on the reso, sorry if i didn't make it clear at the begining
excuse me if im wrong but thats very noobish to do ! resonant heads shouldnt have any muffling and thats why on batter side you should use either EMAD or Superkick. As for the toms i really doubt they sound dull because of the heads. i think its either tuning , shells or muffling you might have used ! i would go for G2 coated but because you want clear heads then i would go for ec2
Old 06-09-2007, 05:58 PM

This is my opinion...

TOMS:

Batter

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RDJA

Resonant

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RDHA

BASS DRUM:

Batter

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RAAA

Resonant

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RBAE

I own the ec2's and i think they have enough full and focused sound for my taste
Old 06-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASP3Rdrummer View Post
This is my opinion...

TOMS:

Batter

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RDJA

Resonant

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RDHA

BASS DRUM:

Batter

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RAAA

Resonant

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVProd...D=1&CLASS=RBAE

I own the ec2's and i think they have enough full and focused sound for my taste
Nothing ships to Canada, I can never get what I want here.

Last edited by Ironcobra; 07-18-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
ya thats the reso i was talking about for the bass, i guess ill get the evans batter too. but for the toms, im still trying to figure out what made them so dull, so i cant decide on those yet. im almost positive it was my heads. i cant go with any coated tom heads, just because of the look im going for. and can anyone help me find a site that will ship the evans BD heads to Canada? all the sites that i found that have the heads, only ship to the US. i can only get the g2's, g1's, ec2's etc. shipped here
sorry !! i wanted to say in my previous post tha the dull sound is probably because of the heads you have which may be cheap ! but for heavier sound ...more rock/metal and less jazzy sound get the ec2 !!
Old 06-10-2007, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASP3Rdrummer View Post
sorry !! i wanted to say in my previous post tha the dull sound is probably because of the heads you have which may be cheap ! but for heavier sound ...more rock/metal and less jazzy sound get the ec2 !!
My current heads are Aquarian something, are you sure about EC2's? I do want a rock sound and everything, but will they go well with G1's? Also, if the EC2's aren't very clear like the G2's, I don't want them.

Last edited by Ironcobra; 07-18-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:15 PM

if you prefer to sacrifice sound over look then its alright ...you should go with g2. they are almost same with ec2 except they have a bit more open sound.then again maybe you wont sacrifice sound because the sound of g2 might fit your taste ;). and also i believe both will work with g1 on reso side. cheers