DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Impressed with Evans heads

I've been playing Remo heads exclusively for over 30 years and I have dealt with the inconsistency issue with Remo heads for a long time. I was a fan of clear emperors on my Yamaha RC kit but I kept getting heads that weren't as resonant as others on the kit. Same deal with the coated emperors on my snare, one good one and two bad ones.....it goes on and on. So I switched to clear ambassadors and they sounded great but didn't last long. Well, after doing some research and hearing some drums equipped with Evans heads, I begrudgingly gave them a try and went with clear G2's over clear G1's on my toms, a power center reverse dot on my snare and an EMAD on my kick drum. Boy, was I glad I did. The heads are very consistent, my toms sing, my kick drum has a nice low end thump with nothing in the drum and a Yamaha logo powewrstroke type resonant head on the front, and the snare has a nice pop with just the right amount of ring. I am VERY happy with these heads and their sound. Sorry Remo, you just lost another customer.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Impressed with Evans heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
I've been playing Remo heads exclusively for over 30 years and I have dealt with the inconsistency issue with Remo heads for a long time. I was a fan of clear emperors on my Yamaha RC kit but I kept getting heads that weren't as resonant as others on the kit. Same deal with the coated emperors on my snare, one good one and two bad ones.....it goes on and on. So I switched to clear ambassadors and they sounded great but didn't last long. Well, after doing some research and hearing some drums equipped with Evans heads, I begrudgingly gave them a try and went with clear G2's over clear G1's on my toms, a power center reverse dot on my snare and an EMAD on my kick drum. Boy, was I glad I did. The heads are very consistent, my toms sing, my kick drum has a nice low end thump with nothing in the drum and a Yamaha logo powewrstroke type resonant head on the front, and the snare has a nice pop with just the right amount of ring. I am VERY happy with these heads and their sound. Sorry Remo, you just lost another customer.
I used to use remo. I had no problems with tom heads (pinstripes) But i didnt know what i was doing or listening to at the time. I used to use coated pinstripe on the snare & every other one would last for ages with the coating not coming of just a blackish spot appearing. Some others the coating would start coming of in 2 hours of playing! i then switched to evans using emads on bassdrums g2's on toms & genera hd dry on snare & they are great heads. Ive just got myself a new kit & im trying out aquarian superkick 2's (just like emads really) on bassdrums & still waiting for super 2's on toms. If they dont work out im going back to g2's or ec2's but the ec2's might deaden them to much as there 9ply birch & already very focused. Im still using my evans genera hd dry on my snare as they last for ages. Although they are quiet dampend heads they are still bright & i get a great sound outta them on my pearl brass free floater with minamal ring
Old 06-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Pioneer Member

CD glad you like them. I had the same experience, though I've got an SK1 on my bass. The Evans heads just seem to tune allot easier than the Remo's and they seem more durable. I was leary after 25 years of playing remo to switch but I'm glad I did. The one thing I noticed is the Evans aren't as "bright" sounding as the remo's. Do you notice that? But they still have a great sound!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
CD glad you like them. I had the same experience, though I've got an SK1 on my bass. The Evans heads just seem to tune allot easier than the Remo's and they seem more durable. I was leary after 25 years of playing remo to switch but I'm glad I did. The one thing I noticed is the Evans aren't as "bright" sounding as the remo's. Do you notice that? But they still have a great sound!
I'll be playing a show with them tomorrow night, so I'll really get a chance to hear how they sound in a live setting. They sounded real good in my practice room though. I didn't notice that they weren't as bright sounding yet, but I'll keep an ear out for that. I agree that they still sound sweet regardless. I really thought that the toms would be dull sounding and "plasticy' with the double ply G2's but they really sing nicely and are punchy. So far, so good.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

The same thing happened to me. I had been a Remo devotee since I was a kid. Then, in 2001, I did a European Jazz Festival Tour with the Ball State Big Band. All the festivals provided sets for me to play, I just brought my cymbals, and ALL of the sets had Evans heads on them. I was so impressed with how good they sounded and felt, I've never looked back, with one exception: I recently discovered the Aquarian Superkick II bass head. WOW! It's everything you love about the EMAD, just more of it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting to hear! I still can't get the sound I want from Evans on my toms, though. They also are harder to tune on my toms than Remo. I've tried the EC2's and G2's on toms, the reverse power dot, G1 and Genera on snare.

I like some of the snare heads (though I don't find them especially durable) and the EMAD is great.

I actually have some Aquarians on the way right now, so maybe we'll compare notes in a couple of weeks. It seems we use a similar tuning and like a similar sound - you are just using much better drums than I!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Interesting to hear! I still can't get the sound I want from Evans on my toms, though. They also are harder to tune on my toms than Remo. I've tried the EC2's and G2's on toms, the reverse power dot, G1 and Genera on snare.

I like some of the snare heads (though I don't find them especially durable) and the EMAD is great.

I actually have some Aquarians on the way right now, so maybe we'll compare notes in a couple of weeks. It seems we use a similar tuning and like a similar sound - you are just using much better drums than I!
That is also interesting to hear. Thanks for the compliment on my choice of drums by the way! We do like similar sounds and have a similar tuning method. For me, I had no trouble tuning the Evans heads, in fact, the G2's tuned up easier than their Remo counterpart the clear emperor. Plus, I didn't have to stretch them out as long to get them to stay in tune. I just put them on and tuned them a little tighter than normal, then I played them. They loosened up and settled in in a matter of a few minutes. I have only tried the G2's because I like to get a big, open, full sound from the toms with some added durability. I was afraid that the G2's would be too "thick" sounding and make the toms sound too thuddy and dull. When I did the "tap" test and flicked the head while holding it with my other hand, it had a nice, resonant loose sound. I knew right away that they were going to sound good on the toms. They all had the same resonant tone when flicked before putting them on the drum, which is the problem I had with Remo clear emperors. Some sounded open and resonant, others sounded flat and dull.

My snare drum was critical for me and I really am particular about what kind of sound and feel I want from my snare. It's a Ludwig supraphonic 6 1/2 x 14, and I know that the classic sound from them is achieved with a coated emperor or ambassador. Much to my surprise, the reverse dot power center coated head was kind've a hybrid sound between the ambassador and the emperor. I've only played it once live, but the drum sounded sweet...poppy and loud with no muffling whatsoever. It looks no worse for wear either. We'll see how it plays out as I play it more. The EMAD was great, no muffling in the kick and plenty of whoompf.

I picked the PC reverse dot, G2's and EMAD heads based on what I saw as the majority of heads selected by well known artists who use Evans heads. Usually heads that are popular with a number of artists are popular for a reason. In my case, I can see why these are popular. The only thing that I may do differently next time I order heads is to go with coated G2's on the toms. So far though, I give them two thumbs up. Let me know how you make out with your aquarians. I've heard good things about them and the company as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 AM
Pioneer Member

The only product I've seen from Evans I liked was the J1 heads. I've seen one of these on a terrible snare but this head made it a decent sounding drum. Personally I can't tell the difference in this and Renaissance head but it is still a great sounding head. I like the white color much more so than the Renaissance one. I once had a whole set of Evans heads on my drumkit and was just never happy with any of them and the drumkits I've played on elsewhere with Evans heads also left me disappointed. Then again, I'm not fond of most of Remo's products either. I tried Aquarian but for such hard to get and expensive heads they aren't any better than the other brands. I am now changing over to Fiberskyn heads, probably the only nice heads Remo makes anymore. The nice thing I can say about Evans is that their drumheads are tough. I have yet to see an Evans head wear out. I've seen many of them lose their tuning, and sound potential but never wear out. Remos seem the opposite anymore, great sound if you're lucky....