DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Recording Gear.

It took a couple trips back and forth between Sam Ash and GC but I managed to get what I wanted at a fair price.

I bought a Boss BR1600 recorder. It will record up to 8 tracks at the same time. Basically I'll be able to control each drum sound.The unit was listed for $1400.00 and I got it for $1040.00.

For mics I bought a Shure pack. 3 SM57s and a Beta 52. Those set me back $400.00 which was the prices I've seen them for on line.

I didn't have much time to mess with it because we're painting my kids room. The manual
is pretty thick so it should be a while before I figure this thing out.

I'll probably pick up a couple of over head mics once I figure out how to use this stuff.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:59 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Recording Gear.

Seeing as this thread is entitled 'Recording Gear' I'll jump on the bandwagon with a little situation I have.

I saw a four-track Firewire interface for £86.00 at a pawn shop the other day, I could go out and buy that and it's my birthday soon, so hopefully that won't eat into my month's wages too much if I bought it now.

OR

Do I wait a couple of months and pay £320 for a Presonus FirePod? Bear in mind I've been e-Bay trawling and don't see much on there for considerably less second hand. The quoted figure is from a shop I trust and respect and even if their prices are a little higher (which I'm led to believe they're not anyway) I would more than happily buy from them.

I'll be recording acoustic guitar, vocals, drums and electric guitar (obviously micing up my cab) but unlikely to have more than four tracks at the same time. However, I would like the flexibility of eight tracks if the situation calls for it. My mic plan for my kit is X/Y overhead, bass and snare. So: is it worth me getting the FirePod for potential flexibility, or do I get the four track. I'm getting impatient, I've been putting off buying an interface for far too long. I'm thinking wait some more, that would be sensible, but I'm ready to throw all reason out of the door right now.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:10 AM

I use the Korg D3200 with 12 simultaneous recording channels. A little more at $1300 but well worth it. I record the whole band with this unit using 5 channels for drums, 3 for guitars, and 4 for vocals. Great system.

We have some demo takes on our web site at http://www.j4fmusic.com. All of these takes are one take with no dubbing. I also lowered the bit rate for the web site for easier streaming.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

Mediocrefunkybeat - Hold off until you can get the Firepod. You can obviously do a lot with just four tracks when you are recording by yourself, but eight would be real handy if you decided to record your whole band at once without an external mixer (for example). Or maybe one day you will get the urge to record your drums in surround by placing room mics in each corner of the room... who knows? :)

I bought the Firebox which is only four tracks. I can mic my drums just fine with three mics, and the fourth is optional. I really wish I had eight though to record my whole band in a live setting. We'll probably use my band mate's 8trk reel to reel, with the sacrifice of not having lots of effects that I'm used to using 'in the box'. Well, we'll just have to get creative and work fx for like a track at a time or something.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:29 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Thanks Sleepy, you've put my mind at ease with that and I can now live for a couple more months without urging to buy that four track. Your friend has an eight track reel-to-reel? Lucky man. Right now I would practically kill for one of those, often you'll find your creative limits are stretched much more with less activity 'in the box'. I love tape, but I've very rarely got the chance to use it.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Here's a couple pictures of the new gear.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Here's a couple pictures of the new gear.
Looks good! What are you going to be using as overheads?
Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Your friend has an eight track reel-to-reel? Lucky man. Right now I would practically kill for one of those, often you'll find your creative limits are stretched much more with less activity 'in the box'. I love tape, but I've very rarely got the chance to use it.
Ya, it's an old Tascam 388. Kind of a classic. 1/4" tape. It's pretty cool.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

...I'm infinitely envious.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM_fear View Post
Looks good! What are you going to be using as overheads?
I'm not sure, but probably Shures. (I couldn't help it) I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure many of you guys are experienced in this area. I'm new to the recording end of things.

I bought this stuff as a self diagnostic tool. Back in my younger years I spend some time in the studio and sometimes things didn't sound the way I thought they would. This will be a way to evaluate some of the things that I've been working on.

I was playing with a band a few months ago and it was a horrible mis match. I plan on putting up some short souind clips, on my space or where ever, of the stuff I'm into in hopes of finding like minded musicans or bands.

This should also give me a better idea of what my kit sounds like, trying out different tunings, heads, and that kind of thing.

Any tips from you good folks would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Steady Freddy; 05-29-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Hey!
A month ago me and my band decided to record some demos.So we borrowed a TASCAM 2488 MKII from a friend.I used Shure 57 for both snares,Akg C 1000 for both overheads and Audio techinca dual head bass drum mic.For guitars we used Sm57 (also used it for darbuka and shakers),bass amp was using D.I. an last but not least...beta 58 on vocals.For monitoring we used some old Panasonic Cd player.I think we made quite good recordings considering it was our first time doing such thing(recording alone, not in studio).

Notice:At the begining before guitars come there should a bass playing.But i dont have that version of song(latest).

Drums from top:

from side:

mixer & ''monitors'':)

We want to record all of our songs that way, before we go to studio(september).
Want to save up some time and money:)

Chüs:D
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 arabique1.mp3 (8.24 MB, 262 views)

Last edited by bivr; 05-29-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 AM

check out the Octava MK012's for overheads.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I'm not sure, but probably Shures. (I couldn't help it) I'm open to suggestions. I'm sure many of you guys are experienced in this area. I'm new to the recording end of things.

I bought this stuff as a self diagnostic tool. Back in my younger years I spend some time in the studio and sometimes things didn't sound the way I thought they would. This will be a way to evaluate some of the things that I've been working on.

I was playing with a band a few months ago and it was a horrible mis match. I plan on putting up some short souind clips, on my space or where ever, of the stuff I'm into in hopes of finding like minded musicans or bands.

This should also give me a better idea of what my kit sounds like, trying out different tunings, heads, and that kind of thing.

Any tips from you good folks would be greatly appreciated.

If you are looking at Shure condensers, the SM94 and KSM109 would be good choices. Both will run you around $180-200 apiece. After that it starts to get pretty expensive. SM81s cost around 350 apiece. I don't have experience with any of those but you can't go wrong with Shure.

My personal preferences are the AKG C100s and Oktava MK012s. Oktavas are hard to find anywhere other than ebay. Those are around $600 for a pair. If that's out of your price range, then definitely go for the AKGs. I've seen them for $300/pair. You can always just purchase 1 condenser instead of two. Even go with a single large diaphram condenser possibly. But if you plan on getting two then definitely get a factory matched pair or else you'll end up with different sounding recordings.

Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, and Audix all offer up good choices for overheads as well so definitely look into them.

Whatever you decide on, definitely buy some quality overheads. You already have some great mics and you need to complement them well.

Good luck with everything!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks a lot for the info on over heads!

I got the thing up and running. Pretty cool.

300 pages in the manual and it didn't say press play and record at the same time. Doh!

Sometimes I'm about as dumb as a rock.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Pioneer Member

A quick up date now that I've had a month to work with this gear.

Right up front I'll say that electronic gizmos are not my strongest thing. Sometimes I have trouble with the remote for the TV.

The manual for the recorder seems to jump around all over the place. It's is well written, but poorly formatted. I would have liked to see a beginner section that takes you step by step through the recording process.

That said, I am able to record and burn CDs. I'm still working on the aspects of mastering and getting a sound dialed in. Over all I'm making pretty good progress and learning a lot.

I ordered a pair of AKG C1000s mics to use as over heads. They should get here next week. I also plan on getting an Earthworks kick pad. It's a small equalizer that connects to the mic cable. It's supposed to do wonders for kick drums. If any of you guys have experience with this device your feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Take care.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I've never used the Earthworks Kick Pad, but I've known people who have used it and commented on how useful it is. Nice little gadget if you ask me. Let me know how those C-1000's turn out. Last time I used a pair, they were rather nice, but I'm trying to formalise my microphone purchases and I want to decide between C-1000's and Rode NT-5's.