14" New Beat Hi Hats
18" A Custom Fast Crash
8" Sabian AAX Splash
8" A Custom Splash
20" A Custom Medium Ride
18" A Custom Crash
18" Wuhan China

Not too much different, but the differences are:

Rack - It's one of the Pearl "The Drum Rack" drum racks designed by Jeff Porcaro. I bought it off my drum teacher with 8 clamps for $250 - and this thing kicks ass.

Splash - New 8" A Custom Splash - This splash is really glassy, a nice contrast to the trashy Sabian splash

Minus 16" Floor tom - I just wasn't using that thing enough to really justify carrying it around to gigs. It's just more comfortable this way, too.

By the way, to any gurus who may see this, I have a question about my hi hats. I bought these guys on EBay from a woman who said that they were her brother's when he was a kid, but I didn't think to ask from which era these are. I'm thinking 70's-80's, but I wanna know.

Here are the pictures:

I've just kinda been repositioning my things for a while, getting everything where I want it, and this is about the most comfortable I've ever been behind my own kit. Just adjusting the seat height and pedal tension was enough to make my week. Anyway, thanks for reading. Comments appreciated!

ME

Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Updated kit pics

yeahhhhhhh !! Nice kit man ! And very nice cymbals choice...
Old 05-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Very nice setup either way... I believe.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:53 AM

Interested in selling the 16''? I have the same kit but 8, 10, 12, 14, and have been looking for a 16 for a long time. Gimme a yell if interested.

Looks very comfortable position wise. Nice drum and cymbal choice :)
Old 05-27-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozzy View Post
Interested in selling the 16''? I have the same kit but 8, 10, 12, 14, and have been looking for a 16 for a long time. Gimme a yell if interested.

Looks very comfortable position wise. Nice drum and cymbal choice :)
Well.....I'll keep it, just in case. Who knows, I might do an arena rock tour (right). I got mine for $189...but I forgot, they don't make these drums any more. Bummer.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Thats what i dont understand. In australia, that costs 499. !90 american is NOT 500 australia. Not even half of that.

And i do believe they are available, the Aus supplier of Gretsch has them still.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

beautifull setup mate, looks veeery confortable to play...how do u like the small AAX splash?? a played those few times, and i felt in love with them, for me it is the best sounding splash on market. together with paragon
Old 05-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Nice kit, the cymbals all look so comfortable, its similar to the cymbal set-up I would like to eventually have, but in slightly different sizes.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:50 PM

Beautiful kit. I have the same rack, only black. It's called the DR-1 Rack.. ;)

Enjoy :D

Joe
Old 05-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Beatiful kit:) Love the a crashes and splash. They sound great dont they:)?

Magns
Old 05-27-2007, 07:49 PM

nice kit. is it me or are the cymbals very high up? you must be tall.

nice cymals and i like the tom set up.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeq View Post
beautifull setup mate, looks veeery confortable to play...how do u like the small AAX splash?? a played those few times, and i felt in love with them, for me it is the best sounding splash on market. together with paragon
I love that splash, even though I'm Zildjian through and through, that splash is my absolute favorite. I dread the day when it cracks. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch223 View Post
nice kit. is it me or are the cymbals very high up? you must be tall.
Well, I'm 6' 1" with veeeery long arms. I've got a friend who's maybe 5'5", and he can barely touch my pedals and hit the cymbals. They are fairly high, even on me, but not much above eye level, if at all.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM

That kit is nice, looks really comfortable to play. What heads are those?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

i thought this was a DW when i first looked at it, the combination of a shiny finish, chrome hardware and that sexy rack give it a lot of class. very nice kit, any sound clips?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyplayParadiddles View Post
That kit is nice, looks really comfortable to play. What heads are those?
Evans G2s on top, G1 resos on the bottoms for the toms. EQ4 batter on the bass drum. Genera Dry batter on the snare, Hazy resonants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
i thought this was a DW when i first looked at it, the combination of a shiny finish, chrome hardware and that sexy rack give it a lot of class. very nice kit, any sound clips?
I've just got a couple of YouTubes of it, none of which really do it justice.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Just amazing.. Its looks so well thought and easy to play on.. good section of cymbals too! How does that New Beats sound? Its either new beats or quick beats for me so I just have to ask.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:10 PM

zildjian... the only serious choice indeeedy. very nice cymbals. like the setup, im gonna go for comething like that when i rebuild my kit (it's in my bedroom in bits atm because of soudproofing. beautiful wuhan china.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM

Sweet kit and a cool, rock solid rack! My only input would be to someday put a cymbal boom in your bass' tom mount holder for that right splash and clamp it to your rack. Looks like it would line up ok. Garanteed no bass creeping and I just can't stand seeing a huge empty volcano-like mount on a bass drum... but thats just me. Besides, you could then put your left crash on that lonely looking bare left rack arm.

Beautiful wood. Bet they sound great with the Rims mounts! Nice.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer View Post
Just amazing.. Its looks so well thought and easy to play on.. good section of cymbals too! How does that New Beats sound? Its either new beats or quick beats for me so I just have to ask.
Those New Beats are the perfect hi hats for me. They're sooo incredibly versatile. For example, this past week, I played them with a 3 piece jazz combo, a 7 piece electric funk group, and 5 piece metal outfit, full stack amps and all. They're crisp and articulate, just perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuric View Post
Sweet kit and a cool, rock solid rack! My only input would be to someday put a cymbal boom in your bass' tom mount holder for that right splash and clamp it to your rack. Looks like it would line up ok. Garanteed no bass creeping and I just can't stand seeing a huge empty volcano-like mount on a bass drum... but thats just me. Besides, you could then put your left crash on that lonely looking bare left rack arm.

Beautiful wood. Bet they sound great with the Rims mounts! Nice.
That's a good idea, to use the bass drum mount, just to free up space on the rack itself. And that left rack arm is about to become cluttered. I've got some graduation money coming in, so I'll be getting a china and another crash over there, hopefully. I may add some mini hi hats and assorted percussion things, tambourine, blocks, cowbell, etc.

I'm glad I bought all of these drums at once, since they did officially stop making these drums. Some places still have them in stock, but I talked to a Gretsch representative at a Stanton Moore clinic, and he told me that they stopped production on the birch drums in order to make Catalina Maple, Club, and Rock sets exclusively. So to any other Catalina Birch owners, looks like it's the end of the road for add-ons.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:32 PM
KARL MEMBER

I find it very very comfortable!
I don`t know whether I`d like your A Custom Medium Ride but....IT`S YOUR KIT! not mine...haha!

Oh, and I noticed that you changed the rack tom angles, too. Did you do it over time or all at once? And why? I`m just curious because my became flatter and flatter aswell. Are you growing?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Silver Member

Very comfy setup! I'm not 100% sure about your hi hats. They look like late 70's to me.
I couldn't tell by the pics if they used to have the solid black or the hollow black Zildjian logo on them or not.

birch
Old 06-01-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
I find it very very comfortable!
I don`t know whether I`d like your A Custom Medium Ride but....IT`S YOUR KIT! not mine...haha!

Oh, and I noticed that you changed the rack tom angles, too. Did you do it over time or all at once? And why? I`m just curious because my became flatter and flatter aswell. Are you growing?

Karl
Haha, I know you're a big jazz guy, and this cymbal is exactly the opposite of what you'd want, I can guarantee. Bright, glassy, and cutting it is. I'm definately in need of a good jazz ride for the jazz combo I'm playing in right now, so I'm looking at some K's.

As for the toms, it's kind of become a gradual flattening. As my technique has improved, they've become flatter, as a comfort thing. Plus, I do play in a metal band, so the pure appearance of the toms came into factor, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178 View Post
Very comfy setup! I'm not 100% sure about your hi hats. They look like late 70's to me.
I couldn't tell by the pics if they used to have the solid black or the hollow black Zildjian logo on them or not.
Yeah, the logos were entirely faded when I got them, so I can't tell. I'm thinking 70's, because my school has some 80's New Beats, and mine have a very different characteristic to them.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyDrummin View Post
Haha, I know you're a big jazz guy, and this cymbal is exactly the opposite of what you'd want, I can guarantee. Bright, glassy, and cutting it is. I'm definately in need of a good jazz ride for the jazz combo I'm playing in right now, so I'm looking at some K's.

As for the toms, it's kind of become a gradual flattening. As my technique has improved, they've become flatter, as a comfort thing. Plus, I do play in a metal band, so the pure appearance of the toms came into factor, as well.
Yeah, K`s or K Custom cymbals. Will definitly please you!
And yeah, don`t forget to try some K Constantinoples...great "Jazz" sound.

I`ve got a K Custom Dry Light Ride. Fortunatly one of just 2 or 3 K cymbals which I really like. "Fortunatly" because then I discovered Istanbul and Bosphorus! Check out those brands, they make incredible cymbals...especially when it comes to Jazz.
On www.cymbalsonly.com you`ll find many many Istanbuls, Bosphorus and also some K`s. And Meinl`s! And soon nice UFIP`s! haha, so many cymbals, just be open for all brands.

PS: No, I`m no big Jazz drummer...I`m not even finding a band. :-(

Good luck,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Nice kit, like your first set up because its exactly like mine; but really theres not much of a difference besides the extra tom, but watever. But you are cool and have better cymbals, and you dress better : )