DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Default How often?

How often does everyone change their heads?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: How often?

I change them when i think the quality of the sound is getting worse, or if the head is damaged. Im not sure if it was him but i think aahznightsky once told me in one of my past threads that he changes his heads once every 3-4 months. May have been somone else though.

I would say though on averge, people change them every 6-9 months. For me a little longer, just because im insanely cheap.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Since I play more an e-drums than a-drums, I don't need to change heads often. I change heads to get a new sound and to experiment with different combos. The snare heads need a regular change (couple of times a year) since the head is under so much tension that it soon looses its character. Toms and kick can last even for years.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 PM
fourstringdrums

I can't answer that question, because I've never stuck with set of heads long enough to get them to the point where they need to be changed because of wear. I'm still searching for THE heads for me, and I still haven't found them yet. I have some J1 Etched that should be here tomorrow. I'd say though that with how much I'd play, I'd probably change the heads once every year or so. Like I said I've never gotten to that point :)
Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 PM

It all depends on what type of heads u use. Clear heads need to be changed more often than coated heads. And it also depends on what style of music u play. A jazz or folk drummer would change heads much less than a grunge or metal drummer. Another thing to take into account is how often you play. Gigging drummers play everyday, but some drummers play twice or three times a week. On average, if you're playing a lot, u should change ur head right around every 6-9 months.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

I change mine when the head starts to lose its elasticity and can't hold a tuning any longer. That is, not very often.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Changing every 6-9 months is ok if your using the drums only to practice on and you're a light hitter. If you're gigging regularly then it would be a matter of weeks, if not every gig. Endorsements make life easier.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with ClassA
its about 6-9 months till my heads sound less than par. So i change them. If I was a harder hitter it might be 3 months but thankfully i was born into a family that didnt introduce me to death metal.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Pioneer Member

Well I usually go by the sound thing. If the head loses its tightness then its tone then it's time to change. If coated heads lose their coating then it's time to change since they no longer have characteristics of a coated head which is why you bought it to begin with. I have g2 coated heads on my toms for 2 years and they weren't worn out just sort of lost their magic. Just yesterday I replaced the Evans resonant heads on the bottoms (also 2 years old) for Remo Ambassador clears and now they have a fresh sound to the toms. I don't play heavy but I play a lot in terms of strokes per drum so I need a more durable head but not a thick insensitive one. You'll know when it's right to change heads.