DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Plastic Sonor Pedals?

I just recently received my new Sonor 3005 and I noticed that the pedals (Hi-hat and Kick) are made of plastic. Has anyone had problems with this at all? What's the general opinion on these pedals? Any feedback is appreciated, because I want to know if I should take a leap of faith and go with the Sonor or if I should stick with the old faithful Pearls (which are definitely not plastic). Thanks in advance.

Moe
Old 05-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Plastic Sonor Pedals?

Plastic?

There is no way I would use plastic hardware. It just would seem to unsturdy and weak to play with plastic under your feet
Old 05-18-2007, 11:42 PM
da cheese walks

The new sonor hardware theyre selling with theyre lower spec kits are meant to be diabolical(that is the pedals...the stands etc. are still sexy!)....just get new pedals....i mean you were proibably gonna do it anyway....
Old 05-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrummr View Post
Plastic?

There is no way I would use plastic hardware. It just would seem to unsturdy and weak to play with plastic under your feet
I use a plastic pedal, The Duallist.

Some plastic is lighter and tougher and more resistant to abrasion than steel. Lots of drum stuff is made of aluminum, which is pretty flimsy stuff actually. Plastic pedals might be stronger than steel - it all depends what plastic.

Heads take the most stress of anything and they're made of plastic.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:20 PM

I just got back from work and took a closer look at my pedals and it seems that they may actually be made of aluminum. I think I just jumped to the conclusion of them being plastic the first time I checked 'em out because they were black and pretty lightweight, plus the tension adjust on the hat stand was plastic... hmmmm. Well... now that I've concluded that, I suppose this thread is pretty much useless now, ha. Mods, do what you wish with this.

Thank you for the feedback though. The Dualist is made of plastic? I'm intrigued now. Maybe I'll check that out. Don't they have that triple kick gizmo too?

Moe
Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

Force 3005 kits should be packaged with a P433 pedal. It should be metal (steel, I believe) with a blackened bass-plate and struts (the newer 472 pedals have chromed struts and bassplate)

The HH443 hihat stand will also be metal, but will have plastic components (like the tension adjustment at the base of the stand) the 400 series hat stand should also have rotatable legs, which differentiates it from the 200 series stands, which dont.

The 400 series hardware packs packaged with the 3005 kits are good quality components and should not be plastic.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I use a plastic pedal, The Duallist.

Some plastic is lighter and tougher and more resistant to abrasion than steel. Lots of drum stuff is made of aluminum, which is pretty flimsy stuff actually. Plastic pedals might be stronger than steel - it all depends what plastic.

Heads take the most stress of anything and they're made of plastic.

i find your whole post to be true. i went to the Ausa convention in Washington Dc. there was a dealer that had a sheet of plastic, it was wicked light! i went at it with a hammer and i couldn't put a stress mark or dent in it

My point is, plastic is way stronger then most metal. depending on the plastic and metal.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 PM

In general, some plastic is far superior than metal. Within certain usage models, plastic is the way to go. If the plastic is manufactured to perform under the spec'd usage model, there should be no problem.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
i find your whole post to be true. i went to the Ausa convention in Washington Dc. there was a dealer that had a sheet of plastic, it was wicked light! i went at it with a hammer and i couldn't put a stress mark or dent in it

My point is, plastic is way stronger then most metal. depending on the plastic and metal.
Yes, plastic can be very tough. Its one weakness is heat, but that's not an issue with drum hardware and some plastic is even very heat resistant.

Aluminum is the flimsiest metal out there. I don't understand who so much hardware is made of it.

This is the 100th anniversary of plastic, Bakelite. It's the first time people successfully designed an organic (carbon-based) molecule to have a specific property. Nature is a master at creating complex molecules but people never could reliably make their own - they could only modify simple inorganic molecules, like metals. Now we are very sophisticated and designing complex molecules to do very specific things.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
Platinum Member

^well i definitally learned something today^
Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 AM

Depending on thickness...... actually anything lower grade than 5052 aluminum can be flimsy. Anything higher grade such as 6061 is considered "aircraft" quality aluminum and is VERY hard but does not flex and can crack with less stress than applied to softer or lower grade aluminums. Usually the companies that provide alum drum parts have figured out the grade/ thickness factor. Same goes for plastic (polycarbonates, polymethyl methacrylates, etc.). These things need to flex in order to withstand stress. I'm sure more drum companies would use plastic for footboards and such simply for the cost savings and they would be as strong, but would we buy them?
Old 05-24-2007, 02:52 AM

People often mistake aluminium for plastic, its light, and doesn't always have that 'cold' sensation when you touch it.

However, just to you, there are about a million types of plastic out there, all for different uses. The new rage in materials engineering at the moment is carbon reinforced plastic, light, yet is so hard to snap i jumped on a piece suspended between two cinder blocks.

The sonor hardware would not be plastic, or, at least, would not be a flimsy, breakable plastic, it all depends if it is thermo softening, thermosetting or resin-composite.

But Damo has it right, definitely not plastic.