DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Kick config

I've reduced my kick choice to these 3x3. Which is the best combination?

BATTER
- clear emad
- clear EQ4
- clear powerstroke3

RESO
- black remad
- coated white EQ3
- smooth white powerstroke3

INTERNAL MUFFLING
- none
- foam rubber
- evans pillow

Last edited by MadJazz; 05-07-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:31 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Kick config

Well what sound are you going for? I'd personally rule out the PS3's because I'm an Evans guy.

I personally have this setup:

Batter: Coated EMAD with NO muffling rings. They round out the sound too much and I lose attack.

Reso: Black EMAD Reso w/ the firm ring.

Muffling: Evans EQ Pad

I like it because I can get a nice punchy tone, with alittle bit of attack, and just a hint of resonance.

So I would personally go with the Clear/Black EMAD Setup with the Evans EQ Pad (I assume that's what you meant by Evans Pillow). But the EQ3 front and back is nice as well.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

dont completely outlaw the superkicks. i personally like them better then emads cuz the ring cant break. check em out G.

yes i said g...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM

i like the ps3's but i have a 18 x 24 and it makes it sound huge. depending on your kick and how much attack you want, i have the emads on my 18 x 22 tamas and it sounds just as good but it is a different sound. definitely more direct.

b

GMS/RMV + Meinl + Vic Firth = My Setup
SILVERMUSICONLINE = My Band
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Silver Member

Some clarifications:

1. My area only stores remo and (rarely) evans. Other brands are almost non existent. I'm not gonna consider other heads than the ones I've mentioned. I made a mistake mentioning EQ3 batter, I meant EQ4 instead! It has been edited.

2. I don't play metal nor jazz, so I think everyone knows what a great kick sound is for pop & rock. If I have to choose a style, it would be funk with a fat kick! Fat but natural, not boingy, nor dead.

3. My kick is 22x16 beech custom. I currently have black stock reso (vented PS3) with clear emad, no internal muffling, and it sounds a bit boingy. I can't tune it much lower else the rebound becomes crappy. I'm also partial about pillows or foam; I didn't invest in an emad in order to fill the drum up again. I'm afraid foam will take away too much volume. So I thought about a new reso to dry the sustain out. I'm hesitant towards remad, preferring a white head. What's a remad good for if you don't mic it up? And how much impact does that little foam ring have?

Tnx
Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
Some clarifications:

1. My area only stores remo and (rarely) evans. Other brands are almost non existent. I'm not gonna consider other heads than the ones I've mentioned. I made a mistake mentioning EQ3 batter, I meant EQ4 instead! It has been edited.

2. I don't play metal nor jazz, so I think everyone knows what a great kick sound is for pop & rock. If I have to choose a style, it would be funk with a fat kick! Fat but natural, not boingy, nor dead.

3. My kick is 22x16 beech custom. I currently have black stock reso (vented PS3) with clear emad, no internal muffling, and it sounds a bit boingy. I can't tune it much lower else the rebound becomes crappy. I'm also partial about pillows or foam; I didn't invest in an emad in order to fill the drum up again. I'm afraid foam will take away too much volume. So I thought about a new reso to dry the sustain out. I'm hesitant towards remad, preferring a white head. What's a remad good for if you don't mic it up? And how much impact does that little foam ring have?

Tnx
I would try the setup I mentioned using. The EMAD Reso with the firm ring, and put an Evans EQ Pad in the drum. Use either the slim foam ring on the EMAD Batter or no ring at all.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM

There are two muffle rings that come with the EMAD, a thicker and a thinner one. I use the thinner one on my 18x22 because it still gives it some attack put allows it to ring just a bit. I think the thicker pad tends to muffle the drum too much and completely deaden it. Your 16" could probably use the thinner one as well if you go that route.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
I would try the setup I mentioned using. The EMAD Reso with the firm ring, and put an Evans EQ Pad in the drum. Use either the slim foam ring on the EMAD Batter or no ring at all.

sorry, i posted before i read this post. i'd go for those suggestions.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

I'm a Remo guy. I ran my Yamaha 20x14 with a clear Powerstroke 3 batter and an ebony Powerstroke 3 reso. No port and wide open. Got a great sound out of that little drum. Very little overtone and a lot of punch.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Pioneer Member

I've seen powerstroke heads sound nice by themselves. I have a clear EMAD and its worthless as it never did anything in the way of muffling alone, you'll have to do something with the res side as well. Personally I'm going to put Fiberskyn heads with felt strips on both sides soon. I'm tired of the modern thud sound. I would say the Powerstroke 3 front and back, Then you can add the pillow later if you want it.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
I've seen powerstroke heads sound nice by themselves. I have a clear EMAD and its worthless as it never did anything in the way of muffling alone, you'll have to do something with the res side as well. Personally I'm going to put Fiberskyn heads with felt strips on both sides soon. I'm tired of the modern thud sound. I would say the Powerstroke 3 front and back, Then you can add the pillow later if you want it.
My thinking also, tho I'm not a fan of fyberskin (save for he looks). I'm not fully satisfied with the emad I got. Not only does the ring come loose during playing, it doesn't cut enough ring. So what's the point of this revolutionary head if I still got to add a pillow or blanket. The key is the reso imo and I'm leaning towards a coated head.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:01 AM

I'd really consider the Superkick II, or maybe Even an Impact II and just a regulator reso head. From my experiences I chose the superkicks because they sound great with no extra muffling. The muffling looks small and tiny compared to the EMAD, but it really does it's job well. I know a few drummers that use evans heads on toms and snare that have switched to superkicks on the bass.