DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Coating Wear Time?

I am experimenting with heads, bought a few 10's and 14's. Anyway, I ended up liking the sound of a coated Emporer on my 5x14 Supraphonic. After an hour of playing around the kit, and an hour of serious rudiment practice, I have absolutely no coating at the impact point of the head. Seems a little, well, absurd. Do I have a bad head? Can I take it back to Guitar Center? Should I write an angry, obscenity-laced email in misspelled allcaps to Remo? Or do I have to find a different manufactuer of double-ply coateds?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Coating Wear Time?

I've not had much luck with Remo's coating the past few years. Put a coated ambassador on a snare and after about 5 hours of playing the center coating was gone. I switched to evans and the coating seems to last forever. I've had a coated G1 on my snare since September and play probably 3-4 hours a week on average and the coating is holding up great.

I'd send Remo an e-mail, though not like the way your were talking explaining your situation and you're not really satisfied with the quality of the product. Being polite will get you much further than a nasty letter.

I think if you do a search you'll find allot of guys having the same problem with Remo's coating which has caused many to switch to aquarian or evans.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Remo gets bad runs from time to time, I've always been lucky with my Remo heads, but I very rarely hear of any QC problems with Evans or Aquarian. I agree with Kona, send Remo a POLITE email.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I mainly use Remo, but on the few occasions I've used Evans or Aquarian the coating has worn off as fast or faster than the Remos. I think it all depends on the production run, how you tune, what type sticks you use, how you strike the drum, etc. etc.

Right now I've got a 3 month old Remo Ambassador on a snare that I use in my practice room on an almost daily basis and it still has all the coating.

A polite e-mail wouldn't hurt, but I don't think coating wearing off the center is really that serious an issue, personally.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Fair enough. I was, of course, being facecious about the angry email.

Oddly, I bought the Supra used, it had a coated Ambassador on it, I've played it for a couple months, and it is just a little darkened in the middle. If not for that, I wouldn't even be asking, I'd just have moved to another brand!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Fair enough. I was, of course, being facecious about the angry email.

Oddly, I bought the Supra used, it had a coated Ambassador on it, I've played it for a couple months, and it is just a little darkened in the middle. If not for that, I wouldn't even be asking, I'd just have moved to another brand!

Yea my remo head didnt wear down too fast but it did get dirty. My evans snare didnt get dirty but the different coating gave me a different sound. Didnt have a problem with the sound with either of the heads so its all good!
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, evans seems to keep its coating and texture longer. I've never busted through an evans or worn a coated head clear. Can say the same for a remo
Old 04-30-2007, 03:53 AM

I'm a jazz player so I'm not a hard hitter, however I used my snare for a concert band and other snare drum situations, too. I used an Evans G1 coated and after a year of playing every week for at least 7 hours, it has held up quite well. The coating is slightly worn in the center of the head, but it has been a resonably durable and good head. I have never had a problem with a Remo coated head.

I have a new Remo coated ambassador that I bought a couple years ago, I will see if that has a problem.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I've not had much luck with Remo's coating the past few years. Put a coated ambassador on a snare and after about 5 hours of playing the center coating was gone. I switched to evans and the coating seems to last forever. I've had a coated G1 on my snare since September and play probably 3-4 hours a week on average and the coating is holding up great.

I'd send Remo an e-mail, though not like the way your were talking explaining your situation and you're not really satisfied with the quality of the product. Being polite will get you much further than a nasty letter.

I think if you do a search you'll find allot of guys having the same problem with Remo's coating which has caused many to switch to aquarian or evans.
I haven't had this problem on an Ambassador in a long time. I have, however seen it ona Powerstroke 3. Also, the caoting wearing off is part of the natural process on Remo heads, although not as fast as described above. If you ever see Earl Palmer's drumheads, he wore the coating off until most of it was gone. THis is a recording session drummer from back in the day mind you. I don't mind some of the coating wearing off; nothing is perfect and art lies in the imperfections. At least that's what Billy Ward said.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

i dunno if it goes by reigon,but here in saskatchewan, canada we've gotten a horrible run of remos.all the ammbassedors are a slightly grey color now and the coating flakes off within minutes of starting to play,hope remo fixes this problem.because of this im switching to evans until further notice of remos returned quality.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Evan's coating last so loooooooooooonger than Remo's !
Old 05-02-2007, 01:42 AM

Yeah my ps3s coating wore off in 10 minutes. Im not a hard hitter and I say I have pretty good techniqe, so its probably not me. I think ill try evans.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

I have had a great deal of no coating wear on my remo emporers, but I recently just got a remo emporer x for my snare, and after about an hour, the coating was done. It still sounds pretty good though........

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Pioneer Member

I got Aquarian texture coated heads on all my toms after hearing great things about them. Well they sound great but the coating is already wearing off after just a few months now. The 12" head I had must have been defective as it started chipping within a week. The rest held up wonderfully but are quite smooth around the middles and clear spots are starting to appear. The Modern Vintage head I have on my snare--the most played drum of all has been on for several months and still has a texture to it all the way around although not nearly as rough as it was originally. I'm not a hard-hitter but I do a lot of busy fills when practicing alone for a good workout I suppose. Going Buddy Rich style is no fun with white coating dust flying everywhere. I had a whole set of Evans heads to begin with and just am not happy with the tone they have. I can't seem to tune them they way I want them. The Genera snare head confused me as there was very little ring at all and rimshots or clicks were close to impossible without the extra ring. I can't imagine what the dry version is like. Evans coating appears to hold up the best though. Then again I had a Remo ambassador on a snare of mine for a few years before it wore out, or rather I decided to put an Evans on it. I'm interested now in the Renaissance heads and Evans J1 as they are textured without being coated. I've seen both on snare drums before but not sure how they would sound on toms and a bass.