DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-23-2007, 11:33 PM

Default heads problem

I've got a problem here.

I recently got a nice new pair of heads for my kit (toms) with hopes that the ring would be muffled more when i hit them. Turns out that my toms still ring when i hit them. Its a pearl kit though, so ya.

You think its the toms that are causing that?

If not, what can I do to muffle it more?
(i already use moongel.)
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: heads problem

Which heads exactly (top and bottom) and which pearl kit ?

How tight are bottom and top?

It's not only the heads but also the room which contributes to ring.
There are countless discussions on this topic and you should check them out before asking such a broad question.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM

I've been looking around but,

my kit is a pearl export series, and i have the heads it came with on the bottom and on the top i have Evans EC2 clear heads on top. im getting really tired of the ring. any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Silver Member

dang, ec2 and moongell adn your getting ring? you must have your reso head WAYY too tight. Try loosening them. and if that doenst work, then loosen the batter head as well. But you should not be getting any ring with that combo.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Head selection can help.

The most muffled head is the Evans Hydraulics. Then a little less but effect are the Remo Pinstripe and Powerstroke series heads.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArcadia View Post
I've been looking around but,

my kit is a pearl export series, and i have the heads it came with on the bottom and on the top i have Evans EC2 clear heads on top. im getting really tired of the ring. any help would be appreciated.
Change the reso! A clear G1 is better than a stock head. If you want even less ring: clear G2. You can try coated reso's for a warmer and even dryer sustain, but that looks a bit goofy.

But I'd start inspecting the room's acoustics.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Pioneer Member

We have an Export series at church and I just changed all the tom heads to G2's with G1 reso and it actually sounds really good with minimal ring. Sounds like a tuning problem especially if you're using the EC2's. I'd look at replacing the reso heads. Where are you noticing the ringing sound, behind the kit or in front? You're main concern should be how they sound 10-15 feet away which is usually the closest someone will be hearing your kit, with the exception of your band.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

What's what you call ring ???

Is it the resonance of the drums that you dont like or the overtone it emit or...

Look like you should use pinstripe, Performance II or Hydraulics ???

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Gold Member

It's funny how many people try to tune for the sound they hear on a CD not reallizing they're choking the drums by not letting them resonate. They're going to resonate some... they're supposed to!! Otherwise it's no different than hitting a block of plastic really.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 PM

i think your right about the reso head being the problem, because with the heads now, theres still a ring/overtone of my toms for 3 sec after you hit it.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:28 AM

First of all, EC2's sound awful when tuned high. I only have 1/2 to 3/4 complete turn on my EC2 batters and g1 resos are tuned about 1 to 1 1/4 complete turn (to give you an idea). Tuning your reso slightly higher will take "SOME" resonant out but not all. also, you can try de-tuning 1 lug slightly from the rest to take out a little more which will give you a bend in the pitch you are tuned at. sounds really cool that way. other than that, try studio rings.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Get the new reso's and really sit down and spend time tuning them, I think the combination of head and tuning are your issue. If you haven't already give this a very thorough read http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

I can't see a reason unless you've got a bearing edge issue that you can't get an EC2 with G1 reso tuned properly to sound really good without having to use any moon gel, tape or zero rings.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Any drum can sound anyway, regardless of company and quality. (The nuances which can be big, are different thing). Some drums are more "tunable then others", but all in all, i a drum tech can make a CB500 sound like a DW and a begginer can make a DW sound like a CB500. Id wing over to the tuning bible for a look.

Im going into rant mode, but alot of drummers assume that bad kits sound bad because so often lower level kits are played by lower level tuners. I hate tuning and i suck at most of the time unless i care about it and take time.

2 out of 3, its not the drum, its the drummer.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 AM

When I played my export I put studio rings on each tom. They solved all my problems and gave a much better sound.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
When I played my export I put studio rings on each tom. They solved all my problems and gave a much better sound.
With the design of the EC2's there shouldn't be a need for any external damping once the heads are seated and tuned properly. I
Old 04-25-2007, 04:44 PM

So in conclusion, you guys recommend G1 reso heads? Because The EC2 heads already have a built in ring on the hoop of the head so so dampener rings probably arent necessary here.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Pioneer Member

I think the G1's will help allot. When I changed just the batters on the Exports we have at church I had a hard time getting the G2's to sound good with the stock reso's. After a few hours of tuning and tuning and tuning some more I went out and got a set of G1's and it made a world of difference.

I think if you put studio rings on what you have now you'll get the equivalent sound of a card board box, Thud. Remember you want to have some tone and a little ring isn't a bad thing. Make sure you have someone else play them while you stand out front so you can hear what they really sound like.

If you haven't done so check the link above to the drum tuning bible, it's the best info on tuning around!
Old 04-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalArcadia View Post
So in conclusion, you guys recommend G1 reso heads? .
Or G2, especially on larger toms. It will cut more ring and lower the tone.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:01 AM

Do you think that they would have g1 or g2 reso heads with the right size n all at my local guitar center, or would I most likely have to order them? Because i'm not finding many results on the web.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Pioneer Member

They won't be listed as "reso" heads just G1 or G2. Guitar Center should have any size you need. What sizes? I know the one by me had two different prepacks that had 12,13,16 fusion pack for like $32 and the 12,14,16 pack for like $35
Old 04-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
They won't be listed as "reso" heads just G1 or G2. Guitar Center should have any size you need. What sizes? I know the one by me had two different prepacks that had 12,13,16 fusion pack for like $32 and the 12,14,16 pack for like $35
Well I already have a pack of clear EC2 heads for the batter side, but I wouldnt buy that same pack again to go on the reso side would I? I would have to look for reso heads correct?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

No, when we speak of 'reso' heads for toms we are just speaking of the head that is placed on the resonant side, not a specific G1 head called a "G1 Reso" or anything similar. The G1s that someone uses for the batter are the same G1s that we are speaking about for the resonant side. The only time you will see the word 'reso' for a head is for a resonant-side snare head, the extra thin kind that goes on the snare wire side.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Exactly what Joey said. A G1 is a G1. It can be used as a batter or for your resonant side. Same as an ambassador from remo. Both are single ply heads that can be used on top for the batter or bottom as a reso. Neither one will be termed a "Resonant" head.