DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Remo Fiberskyns on vintage beechwood Sonors

I've got Evans clear EC2s on my 16" floor and 13" rack. Am considering moving to Evans G2 coated, but have read a bit on these Fiberskyns. I play indie rock. I don't use a lot of brushes, I want a mellow but cutting resonance/boom.

Would moving to Fiberskyns be the worse choice over Evans G2 coated?

Also, which Fiberskyn, the 2 or 3, single, Diplomat or Ambassador?

Last edited by lovemysonors; 04-23-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo Fiberskyns on vintage beechwood Sonors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysonors View Post

Also, which Fiberskyn, the 2 or 3, single, Diplomat or Ambassador?
I'm not sure what you mean by "the 2 or 3". The Fiberskyn3 head comes in 3 styles, to my knowledge, Diplomat, Ambassador and Powerstroke3 configuration. It is a single ply head. If your old Sonor kit is built anything like say, an old Ludwig 3 ply kit, the Fiberskyn3 will certainly give your kit a real vintage look. Remo http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...berskyn_3.html and Evans http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13 The double ply heads you're using right now translate to Remo Emperor, coated and clear. EC2, by the way, is made by Evans, not Remo. Ambassador weight Fiberskyn3 would be my choice.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "the 2 or 3". The Fiberskyn3 head comes in 3 styles, to my knowledge, Diplomat, Ambassador and Powerstroke3 configuration. It is a single ply head. If your old Sonor kit is built anything like say, an old Ludwig 3 ply kit, the Fiberskyn3 will certainly give your kit a real vintage look. Remo http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...berskyn_3.html and Evans http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EVAProductsDS.aspx?ID=13 The double ply heads you're using right now translate to Remo Emperor, coated and clear. EC2, by the way, is made by Evans, not Remo. Ambassador weight Fiberskyn3 would be my choice.
what would you use for resos? Evans G1 clears?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

I would probably use the Remo clear Ambassador reso. (I'm a Remo guy). A buddy of mine has Fiberskyns on a few of his vintage kits and he uses Ambassador smooth white heads reso.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Fiberskyns on vintage beechwood Sonors? Please please please post pictures once you get them on!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Pioneer Member

I've had g2 coated heads on my maple kit and well I didn't like them at all. They were great quality heads but just not so in feel or sound. I had a tough time tuning them and keeping them in tune. The Aquarian texture coated heads I have now are great sounding but wearing out quickly for some reason. I figure this is due to playing with rough worn sticks at some point. I'll probably go with Fiberskyns myself as I'm tired of the whole coating situation. Ambassador clear heads work fine for res side. I've got to replace the Evans Generas at some point I have which I believe is contributing to the thin/high sound my toms have (they are thin heads). If I were you I would go for the Fiberskyn3 Ambassadors perhaps even the Powerstroke ones (extra muffling) on the toms. This will give your kit a round, full sound as opposed to the paper/plastic of Evans G2 coated heads. Emperors are fine too.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:52 PM

would the Fiberskyn Ambassadors (10mil, single ply) hold up for playing rock on them or should i go for a heavier ply (ie. 2 ply or 14mil)?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Colonel Bat Guano

I think Fiberskyns should hold up if you play indie rock at moderate volume levels. If you tune your toms on the loose side and you hit really hard, they might tend to dent, though.

The Fiberskyn Ambassador ("FA") bass head is a nice BD batter head. A felt strip for muffling would be my suggestion.