DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Help with Triggering Samples

I have an old drum module...an Alesis D4. I know plenty about analog triggers, but not a lot about MIDI. I would really like be able to trigger samples from some other unit. The D4 has MIDI out, so I guess I need a sampler that accepts MIDI in, or a small keyboard that has those features. How do most electronic drummers accomplish this? I wish my D4 had a built-in sampler, that would solve everything. My main question is: Does anyone know of something inexpensive that I could get?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Help with Triggering Samples

This is what everyone uses : http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...s_sampling.flv
Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I picked up my Roland SPD-S used for $325. Awesome piece of gear.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:23 AM

Yeah, thanks guys, but I don't think I want that thing. Okay, I DO want it, but I don't see myself spending that much money. I did a search for this subject on here, and found a few older threads, but they mentioned the SPD-S as well. I don't see much sense in getting that, when I already have a module and pads. I really just want a rack-mount sampler with MIDI, but those seem to cost over a grand. Or, as I said, a small keyboard with MIDI (most have it) and a basic sampler function (most don't have this, it seems). Surely there is something out there that will fulfill my needs but won't break me financially. Those little keychain reminder/toys that record a few seconds of sound only cost a few dollars...so it's frustrating to see the most basic samplers priced at $200 or more (used), and those don't even have MIDI! I realize there's a huge difference between the two, but come on, anyone know of something cheap? Possibly unorthodox?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 AM

I used to use an EMU E5000 hardware sampler, you can find them for $500 or less, and they should continue to drop as softsamplers keep getting more popular as the E-drum solution of choice. I don't think you're going to find much that can do the job for less.

The Roland SPD-s really seems to be the best solution these days, because of the all-in-one factor that makes it very easy to use.

Hardware samplers tend to be less user-friendly, but you might be able to find them for less money. I just got tired of hauling mine around.
For decent sound-quality, I can think of anything cheaper than those.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks, I wish I did a little more research before I bought this D4. I only paid $60 for it, so it's not a huge waste, but considering that I still need a sampler, the Roland would have been worth saving for. It seems to have everything I need.

What do mean about soft samplers, xush? Like running everything off of a laptop? That's not really an option for me, but I was curious.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xush View Post
I used to use an EMU E5000 hardware sampler, you can find them for $500 or less, and they should continue to drop as softsamplers keep getting more popular as the E-drum solution of choice. I don't think you're going to find much that can do the job for less.

The Roland SPD-s really seems to be the best solution these days, because of the all-in-one factor that makes it very easy to use.

Hardware samplers tend to be less user-friendly, but you might be able to find them for less money. I just got tired of hauling mine around.
For decent sound-quality, I can think of anything cheaper than those.
Would soemthing form Akai fall into the catagory you are talking about?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
What do mean about soft samplers, xush? Like running everything off of a laptop?
Quote:
Would soemthing form Akai fall into the catagory you are talking about?

yes, on both. I haven't used either, but they are both pretty popular alternatives.
will keep looking for something cheaper though~
Old 04-27-2007, 10:24 AM

Nevermind what I said about using a laptop not being an option...my friend gave me an old Toshiba Satellite Pro 430cdt with a Pentium 1 and 16 meg of RAM. That should be enough to support a simple MIDI interface and an old soft sampler, right? I read a bit about SCSI MIDI interfaces, or SMDI. Sounds like what I need. Anyone got one? FYI- my laptop doesn't have USB or firewire, just the old connectors and card slots.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 AM

What's it sound like if you put a roland RT-10T on your kick or snare? I just bid on two and am wondering the difference. Do I need to buy the RT-10S and RT-10K?