DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-21-2007, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Default axis an peal eliminator questions

right now i have the axis A longboard double pedal and am having problems getting power out of them.i use the sonic hammer beaters but its still not enough.i was wondering if changing to a heavyer beater might help this? i have been looking into the eliminator beaters and the danmare beaters.what do you think? and have any othert axis users had this problem?
because of this power issue i have been thinking about changing pedals.i have been looking at the peal eliminators but i have a question about them.can the foot board be adjusted independently of the beater angle? i was at guitar center tonight messing with them and the only way i found that i was able to do this was with the chain and the attachment that it is hooked to.here is a pic of what im talking about http://www.pearldrum.com/eliminatorftbd4.jpg is this the only way that the foot board can be adjusted independendently of the beat angle? because if so its not much of an adjustment.
i really do love the feel of the axis pedals but they really do lack power.same goes for the dw 9000.i tried those out tonight as well and they felt just as light as the axis.
if i have to switch pedals im looking for a pedal that is not all heavy (iron cobras) but is not to lite as well.
also,something i forgot.on the axis pedals how do you adjust the foot board up or down on the main pedal? i know that on the slave pedal on the double all i have to do is lift it up a bit then hook on the drive shaft to hook it to the main pedal.but its the main pedal that i can't remember how to adjust the foot board up or down on.
any feed back you all can give on any of this stuff would be awesome.thanks.

Last edited by drummingman; 04-21-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: axis an peal eliminator questions

I've had axis pedals as well. I went to DW beaters with them and the weight added power, but the feel of the pedals wasn't the same. I currently own DW9000's and I would reccomend them over the Pearls.. They are basically the same except the cam in the DW's is adjustible and it isn't plastic not to mention the footboard can be adjusted independently of the cam postioning or any other factor. I currently run Slug Power Head beaters in them, they have a lot of power and they're actually louder with these lighter beaters. Remember that the way the have them set up in the store is just one of many possible ways. The one thing that sets them apart is the ball bearings the beater cam rides on. Just my opinion though.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

thanks a58chevy for recommending slug percussion beaters.which beater do you use? im looking at the standard first then the power head if the standard is too lite.i guess that i could try a buch of beaters to see which one will add what im looking for.maybe i'll just go to a guitar center and ask if i can try out beaters with my pedal.
i see that a lot of people have looked at this thread.don't be shy,feel free to chime in with a thought!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

I felt the sonic hammers were heavier than the average beater on the market. I sold my sonic hammers because they were too heavy for my tastes. Went to some no-name beater. Felt on one side, plastic on the other. Looks like the older DW beater. Much lighter, faster, and I don't have to have so much spring on it to make it respond. My size 13's have no problem generating power in excess.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

so what should i do? should i just try switching to a more heavy beater wiuth my axis pedals or should i just switch pedals to another type of pedal?
are the slug percussion beaters more heavy then the sonic hammers? meaning the standard slug beater?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Slug has 4 different beater models.... a heavy one with a 1/2 oz weight collar, the standard model and a jazz pro that a titanium shaft and allows the shaft the bend and whip the beater into the head. Check their site out www.slugdrums.com

In all honesty I would try some different beaters before you just change pedals. Sometime beaters can really change the feel of your pedals.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:10 PM

You've invested a lot of money in your Axis pedals. I would exhaust all your options with those pedals first. As many of the other responders have dispelled, there are loads of options for you when it comes to beaters, weights, etc. Most likely, you are just struggling with an adjustment problem since most pedals have a fairly wide range of options for how the pedal moves, and reacts to playing conditions. Don't give up.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

well i have been messing with my axis pedal a lot over the last few days.i was really about to give up on them when tonight i got the main pedal feeling great with great power.im still working on the slave pedal though.but my hope is renewed.