DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Ulf Stricker here!

Hi there!
My name is Ulf Stricker and I am new in the drummerworld roster. It is a big honour to be among so many great players, and I hope that I can contribute something to this forum as well.
I would like to thank you again, Bernhard, for putting me on your site and I appreciate your work so much!
It was great to meet you at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt!
Take care!

Ulf
Old 04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Thanks for having me here and hello to everybody!

Hello and welcome to the forums!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Administrator

welcome ulf...

here's a link to ulf's DW page

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ulf_Stricker.html

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 04-18-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 PM

Welcome aboard!!! Always great to see another drummer finding a home on the interwebs :D

HAPPY POSTING!!!

DAN
Old 04-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Forum Pro

Default Re: Ulf Stricker is here

Servus!

Your DVD is great.

see ya soon

:-)
Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Hi Ulf - just saw, that you joined.

Great, to have you on board.....

Hope to meet again soon - and everybody: check out Ulf - great work and DVD...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Ulf_Stricker.html

Bernhard
Old 05-25-2007, 11:58 AM

Hallo Ulf!

Yesterday I discovered your 6stroke- roll workshop on youtube and later had some good fun trying some of your ideas on the set. So thank you!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Ulf Stricker here!

Hello Ulf!
Ive been asking a few other pros this question. If you could only play drums for one hour of evry day, what would your practice routine be?
Thanks
// Vincent.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hello Vincent!
This is a very good question.
I would try to combine more than one thing in an exercise for example: Try to play reading exercises over ostinatos to practice reading and coordination at one time. Play rhythmical pyramids over a certain sticking to practice speed, endurance and coordination at one time.
Practice different things each day, for instance one day in the week is the "feel" day for me, where I just play time in as many styles as I can imagine at that day. Another day could be the "tempo" day. Everyone has tempos where he feels uncomfortable, "wanting" to speed up or slow down. Work on this for one hour every week. I have a rudiment workout routine as well, I grab one rudiment and practice literally everything which comes up to my mind with that ver< particular thing: Solofills, Grooves , Coordination Exercises, Permutations and so on
Or: Make a schedule for each week and try to really keep it, i.e. 10 min warmup, 10 min soloing, 10 min some new technical problem, 10 min brushes, 10 min doublebass, 10 min free playing. There is lots of possibilties. The latter is sometimes hard because you feel bad stopping something after 10 min not having achieved your goal, but maybe you reach the goal in two weeks and then it was worth going that extra mile.
I hope some of my ideas can help you a little bit!
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf
Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Hi Ulf! Welcome to DW and I look forward to your posts.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf Stricker View Post
Hello Vincent!
I would try to combine more than one thing in an exercise for example: Try to play reading exercises over ostinatos to practice reading and coordination at one time. Play rhythmical pyramids over a certain sticking to practice speed, endurance and coordination at one time.
Practice different things each day, for instance one day in the week is the "feel" day for me, where I just play time in as many styles as I can imagine at that day. Another day could be the "tempo" day. Everyone has tempos where he feels uncomfortable, "wanting" to speed up or slow down. Work on this for one hour every week. I have a rudiment workout routine as well, I grab one rudiment and practice literally everything which comes up to my mind with that ver< particular thing: Solofills, Grooves , Coordination Exercises, Permutations and so on
Or: Make a schedule for each week and try to really keep it, i.e. 10 min warmup, 10 min soloing, 10 min some new technical problem, 10 min brushes, 10 min doublebass, 10 min free playing. There is lots of possibilties. The latter is sometimes hard because you feel bad stopping something after 10 min not having achieved your goal, but maybe you reach the goal in two weeks and then it was worth going that extra mile.
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf
Hello.
I was thinnking of something along those lines. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. It means a lot.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 PM

Hello Ulf.
You were very helpfull to me last time i had a question. Thanks again for that.
I now have another question. What do you think is the best way of developing foot independence?
Thanks.
// Vincent.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:01 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Vincent!
I think there are also different approaches to this topic.
One could be: Pick an ostinato with your feet and try to read a magazine or book while playing that ostinato, completely forgetting what you are actually doing. Do that for like half an hour and try to stay focused on the content of the magazine. So the ostinato becomes something you never will have to think about any more.
A second way could be a practicing routine like the following:
Figure out the microtime of your ostinato, i.e. 16th, triplets or whatever. Play the microtime along with your hands. Try to play various accents while keeping the microtime hand to hand. Change the stickings and try to keep the ostinato. Play any rudiment you can imagine over the ostinato.
Try to establish a second timeline in addition to the ostinato. For example: If the ostinato is a cycle of 12 notes, try to play a cycle of 5 or 7 with your hands, then switch it to just one hand, leaving one limb open for soloing.
Or give your third limb (besides the feet) a fixed task. Example: Play left foot clave, a Songo Bassdrum and a cascara in the right hand. Add all imaginable types of accents with your left hand.

Try to split up not only within hand and feet. Example: Play a double stroke between your left hand and your left foot and try to solo against it with the right part of the body.
There is a lot more to discover. Your only limit is your imagination.
Im sure you will come up with own ideas soon!
Good luck!
Ulf
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. It means a lot
I will try some of your suggestions next time i practice.
Vincent.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi there!
I did a clinic with my brother last week and we played a composition of mine called "the parrot" where I play the same stuff as my brother, but one 16th behind. In the middle section we have some unison parts and a blastbeat passage at the end.
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4sOwu2T0fM
Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 PM

welcome to the forum Ulf the parrot was very impressive man me and my bro try and do stuff together but in never sounds this good
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Administrator

MB in Da House is a great groove and Playing the cymbals with the microphone in Delayed Action is quite innovative. Welcome and have a good time.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hello Vincent!
Greetings from Germany!
Ulf
Quote:
Hi Vincent!
I think there are also different approaches to this topic.
One could be: Pick an ostinato with your feet and try to read a magazine or book while playing that ostinato, completely forgetting what you are actually doing. Do that for like half an hour and try to stay focused on the content of the magazine. So the ostinato becomes something you never will have to think about any more.
A second way could be a practicing routine like the following:
Figure out the microtime of your ostinato, i.e. 16th, triplets or whatever. Play the microtime along with your hands. Try to play various accents while keeping the microtime hand to hand. Change the stickings and try to keep the ostinato. Play any rudiment you can imagine over the ostinato.
Try to establish a second timeline in addition to the ostinato. For example: If the ostinato is a cycle of 12 notes, try to play a cycle of 5 or 7 with your hands, then switch it to just one hand, leaving one limb open for soloing.
Or give your third limb (besides the feet) a fixed task. Example: Play left foot clave, a Songo Bassdrum and a cascara in the right hand. Add all imaginable types of accents with your left hand.

Try to split up not only within hand and feet. Example: Play a double stroke between your left hand and your left foot and try to solo against it with the right part of the body.
There is a lot more to discover. Your only limit is your imagination.
Im sure you will come up with own ideas soon!
Good luck!
Ulf
Still I'm gonna say it

Welcome aboard, have fun & enjoy your stay.

I'd like to say those are greats tips for people like me have just enough practice time allowed per day (unfortunately or fortunately I'm only allowed to sit behind the kit for 30 mins. per day). I must say though it's really hard to stick to the schedule.

Take care

A+

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

For those that are interested in some fill in concepts with 6 stroke rolls and stuff derived from that, have a look @ this. Its a workshop in 3 parts, the language is German though, but I think it also works without knowing the words.
Have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLdB2Uv5C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtY600K6zVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPFqTYEAmE
Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Thank you for the videos!!! I like the concept at the end of the second one, using the floor tom and bass drum to create a low roll type effect :)
Old 02-01-2008, 09:47 PM

Agreed. Interesting stuff.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 AM

wow you have some very interesting and creative ideas I like it, keep it up
Old 09-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
For those that are interested in some fill in concepts with 6 stroke rolls and stuff derived from that, have a look @ this. Its a workshop in 3 parts, the language is German though, but I think it also works without knowing the words.
Have fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLdB2Uv5C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtY600K6zVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPFqTYEAmE
I think this is enough .....