DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 PM
mpairse15 mpairse15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Recording help

So recently I picked up some DRDK7s, BR1600CD, and misc stands. I am new to recording and am having some issues. All the mics pick up is the ringing in the drums. I can't get a solid sound out of them. The bass sounds like a thud with static, and the toms sound like a high pitched whining. I also can not get the over head mics to work. The files the Audio interface transfers over are AIF and BR2 files. I have no idea how to work with these. If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,923
Default Re: Recording help

Your overhead mics probably need phantom power. Does the BOSS recorder give you phantom power?

The BOSS sounds pretty straightforward. Plug in your mics, and record on 8-tracks simultaneously. It sounds like you have too much gain on your mics. Plug everything in, and put your gains all the way down, then slowly bring up each one until you get a nice clear tone from the mic. Unless you're putting the mics in really strange places, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The BOSS sounds like a stand-alone recording device. See if you can't just get it to record you playing first. If you're trying to dump those tracks into your computer, those files need to be .wav, right? The BOSS probably has a way to convert those to .wav. But, with your initial problems, first things first. Make sure you know how to operate that BOSS and make it record. Worry about the files into your computer later.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
mpairse15 mpairse15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Recording help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Your overhead mics probably need phantom power. Does the BOSS recorder give you phantom power?

The BOSS sounds pretty straightforward. Plug in your mics, and record on 8-tracks simultaneously. It sounds like you have too much gain on your mics. Plug everything in, and put your gains all the way down, then slowly bring up each one until you get a nice clear tone from the mic. Unless you're putting the mics in really strange places, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The BOSS sounds like a stand-alone recording device. See if you can't just get it to record you playing first. If you're trying to dump those tracks into your computer, those files need to be .wav, right? The BOSS probably has a way to convert those to .wav. But, with your initial problems, first things first. Make sure you know how to operate that BOSS and make it record. Worry about the files into your computer later.
It does have phantom but I can't figure out how to enable it . Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,923
Default Re: Recording help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpairse15 View Post
It does have phantom but I can't figure out how to enable it . Thanks for the reply!
On my Zoom R16 (which also records 8 simultaneous), it boasts phantom power but only on two channels. Perhaps your BOSS is the same way? Owner's manual time?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 320
Default Re: Recording help

http://www.rolandus.com/support/know.../view/22624623

Quote:
The BR-1600CD has 8 XLR inputs can be enabled to supply phantom power. You will need to only use the XLR inputs for those mics - any mics that do not require phantom power should be plugged into one of the standard 1/4 inch inputs. Phantom power is only supplied to the XLR inputs, and when switched ON, it supplies it to all 8 XLR inputs and is not selectable individually.

Turning on Phantom Power:

1. Press the UTILITY button.

2. Cursor to SYSTEM and press ENTER.

3. Cursor to PHANTOM POWER and turn the dial to select ON.

4. Press UTILITY to return to the main screen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
mpairse15 mpairse15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Recording help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
On my Zoom R16 (which also records 8 simultaneous), it boasts phantom power but only on two channels. Perhaps your BOSS is the same way? Owner's manual time?
Didnt have an owners manual and didnt even think of looking online lol.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
mpairse15 mpairse15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Recording help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Thanks! I appreciate it. Never thouht of looking online for the owners manual.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
mpairse15 mpairse15 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
Default Re: Recording help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Your overhead mics probably need phantom power. Does the BOSS recorder give you phantom power?

The BOSS sounds pretty straightforward. Plug in your mics, and record on 8-tracks simultaneously. It sounds like you have too much gain on your mics. Plug everything in, and put your gains all the way down, then slowly bring up each one until you get a nice clear tone from the mic. Unless you're putting the mics in really strange places, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The BOSS sounds like a stand-alone recording device. See if you can't just get it to record you playing first. If you're trying to dump those tracks into your computer, those files need to be .wav, right? The BOSS probably has a way to convert those to .wav. But, with your initial problems, first things first. Make sure you know how to operate that BOSS and make it record. Worry about the files into your computer later.
I did what you said and I still cant get anything but ringing. The mics are placed in a standard position.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM
KamaK KamaK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Coast
Posts: 320
Default Re: Recording help

http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/BR-1600CD_OM.pdf

The DR-C100 requires phantom. The other mics don't. That said, it sounds like the gain is set too high(thump/static).

Typically, you can safely enable phantom without hurting un-powered microphones. There are some mics that are an exception to this, but certainly not the ones in the kit you own.

Set up one-mic at-a-time and figure out the gain issue.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com