DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Just saw "The Wrecking Crew" movie

I had heard about this film and never got around to seeing it, but apparently this week they're playing it on cable TV and I got a chance to see it. I'm old enough to have learned that everything coming out of L.A. during the 60s and 70s was primarily being done by a set group of studio musicians, but if you are unaware of this, I recommend checking out the film. It's good to hear the stories and know who actually played behind the Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, the Monkees, etc.,.... That time in Los Angeles will never come again.

And I used to joke since the 80s, I was so disappointed to find out all my favorite drummers were Hal Blaine or Earl Palmer ;)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Just saw "The Wrecking Crew" movie

It's a good movie.. you should look up Carol kaye videos on youtube.. shes just awesome...
Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
It's a good movie.. you should look up Carol kaye videos on youtube.. shes just awesome...
When I thought I wanted to take bass lessons, I actually got her number and was gonna call her for a lesson. You know who gave me her number? Monty Budwig!

And another thing, in the movie there was a couple of shots of Hal Blaine in action, and it was a clear shot of his BLUE SPARKLE Ludwigs! (before he added the 7 concert toms). I looked at my blue sparkle Ludwigs (from 1976) and it brought a tear to me eye ;)

Last edited by Matt Bo Eder; 07-27-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Ah cool. Did you read the book Bo? That whole era captures my imagination. I was on the receiving end of all that music, and I was paying attention. Hal Blaine was easily as influential as Ringo, only you never knew it was all one guy. You're right that will never occur again. Great stories in the book.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 AM

Two memorable parts were when Hal Blaine said he went from a mansion in hollywood, a Rolls Royce and a yacht to being a security guard in Arizona. It's the same story as so many celebrities. They think the money train will never end and don't manage their finances. The saddest comment was from Tommy Tedesco's son who said his dad was relieved when he had a stroke and couldn't play anymore. He now had an excuse for the phone not ringing and not being the first call guitar player in LA anymore.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:44 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I think Hal's divorce or divorces cost him dearly too. It must have been amazing while it lasted. I can only imagine the satisfaction that Hal must have had.... knowing that he played on all those hit records.

But to have lost a great majority of his estate to a divorce is a friggin shame.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDoug View Post
Two memorable parts were when Hal Blaine said he went from a mansion in hollywood, a Rolls Royce and a yacht to being a security guard in Arizona. It's the same story as so many celebrities. They think the money train will never end and don't manage their finances. The saddest comment was from Tommy Tedesco's son who said his dad was relieved when he had a stroke and couldn't play anymore. He now had an excuse for the phone not ringing and not being the first call guitar player in LA anymore.
Yeah, Larry - I hadn't read the book. And the funny thing was I saw it for sale at Pro Drum once when I went in there, and didn't bother buying it. Maybe I can get it for my Kindle.

That was a sad Hal Blaine story, but he said it was more of the divorce settlement than it was of his lack of finance management, but it was probably a bit of both. Carole Kaye herself said at the end of the movie that she never expected this to last, and Tommy (or one of them) said you work really hard to get where you are and you can probably expect a good ten years before you start winding down. It was the sad message that everyone ages, and eventually they get replaced, just as they replaced all those studio players before them.

But it was definitely the end of an era - once it became the thing that the bands do the recording, the days of staying in town and recording everyday for a small group of people were over. I understand the younger guys like Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta took over alot of the work, but was there alot of work to do? I suspect there is since those people still exist and work, but it can't be like it was, right?

And someone said something about Thomas Lang being one of the most expensive studio drummers in LA today? What is he doing that warrants that? I don't see him playing for every single artist coming into town, and from what I understand, Emil Richards, Joe Porcaro, Larry Bunker, and Harvey Mason still handle alot of the movie work, don't they?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM

I think that today a similar thing is happening with Max Martin's group in Stockholm, Sweden.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
And someone said something about Thomas Lang being one of the most expensive studio drummers in LA today? What is he doing that warrants that? I don't see him playing for every single artist coming into town, and from what I understand, Emil Richards, Joe Porcaro, Larry Bunker, and Harvey Mason still handle alot of the movie work, don't they?
I need to see the movie, but this is startling news to hear about Lang, if true. I was just talking to a musician friend who teaches at a local music school about Lang. At this point in his career, I think of Lang more as a clinician than a drummer who plays with other musicians. That could be wildly inaccurate, I don't know; but for better or worse, that's what his presence in the business seems to be these days.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Could be that Lang is making enough on the clinic side that session work really isn't worth it to him unless he gets a certain amount.

Maybe he is the Linda Evangelista of the drum community. "I don't get out of bed for less than $10,000 a day..."

Whether his phone is ringing off the hook is another matter.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Administrator

One can find out here:

http://www.thomaslangdrummer.com/
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM

Carol Kaye rules. Amazing human being.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

On one hand Carol is terrific, her stories are great, and she really knows her stuff. Then she turns around and says she played the bass on "Bernadette", and a bunch of other songs credited to Jamerson. She played pick bass mainly, "Bernadette" is clearly Jamerson's style. So I'm not sure what to make of her.

All chicks are wacky in one way or another lol.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Documentaries come in all flavors. I really enjoyed The Wrecking Crew.

I honestly had no idea about them (an apparently they didn't either), until I picked up the DVD last month. Good stuff.

If I could recommend a couple of other great music documentaries.

- Standing in the Shadows of Motown (Funk Brothers)
- 20 Feet From Stardom (Back Up Singers)
- Sound City (Dave Grohl Project)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I can concur with the three emntioned above and would add Muscle Shoals to the list. All in the same strain of back up groups that got no mention or fame.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I can concur with the three emntioned above and would add Muscle Shoals to the list. All in the same strain of back up groups that got no mention or fame.
Yes. Maybe my favorite of them all.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:17 PM

I know I should have added Muscle Shoals just because of the high ratings I hear about it. I haven't seen it yet... but I do have it queued up on Netflix. Maybe tonight.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Ah cool. Did you read the book Bo? That whole era captures my imagination. I was on the receiving end of all that music, and I was paying attention. Hal Blaine was easily as influential as Ringo, only you never knew it was all one guy. You're right that will never occur again. Great stories in the book.
You're right, Larry, that book does capture one's imagination!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDoug View Post
As it was probably pointed out by someone else in this thread, Hal was probably good at managing his money. It was more than likely his inability to balance his professional life with his marriage which cost him everything as his wife divorced him. Hal would apparently do some many sessions that he would simply sleep on the floor of the studio after finishing in the evening because he would have to be right back there in very little time to start recording the next day. I met Hal in 1999 as he was on tour with classical gas. He was on his way to the drum shop to speak and my friend wrecked the car he was riding in!

Quote:
But it was definitely the end of an era - once it became the thing that the bands do the recording, the days of staying in town and recording everyday for a small group of people were over. I understand the younger guys like Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta took over alot of the work, but was there alot of work to do? I suspect there is since those people still exist and work, but it can't be like it was, right?
Well, it was still apparently going strong in 1980s as Jeff Porcarro, Harvey Mason and Denny Fongheiser were all still working, along with some the guys you mentioned.

But not every band got to use their members in the studio as Jeff Porcarro used to replace several drummers. There is more coming out than ever before regarding how some recordings were made in the 1980s. I was told that Def Leppard didn’t play on anything which Mutt Lange produced. Mutt played the guitars and bass and programmed the drum parts on a LinnDrum. If you look at the credits on that album, it stated that “all songs were written by Def Leppard and Mutt Lange. Def Leppard is…..” and lists the band members. They are not credited for having played on that album.

David Prater also produced a band known as FireHouse. David wrote all of the songs and played all of the instruments on their album.

I would say that technology of the home, “micro” studio has more to do with the demise of the session player than anything else. Most songs used to be demo’d and pitched to someone at a record label or a producer, at a rate known as demo scale, usually paid for by the songwriter. The musicians who played on those demos were paid that demo rate. Many songs which used to get demo’d are no longer considered that; they are using DAWs and the internet to record, if they use drummers/musicians at all. However, those who are willing to adapt will own the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
Documentaries come in all flavors. I really enjoyed The Wrecking Crew. I honestly had no idea about them (an apparently they didn't either), until I picked up the DVD last month. Good stuff. If I could recommend a couple of other great music documentaries.

- Standing in the Shadows of Motown (Funk Brothers)
- 20 Feet From Stardom (Back Up Singers)
- Sound City (Dave Grohl Project)
The Motown DVD is great; I saw the premier of the 20 FEET from Stardom which was excellent as well! Lisa Fisher went from star to obscurity over night! It seems in that part of the business, the Sheryl Crows are the aberration, an anomaly.
Muscle Shoals, I have only seen some of.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

I just saw it too. I didn't even know it was going to be on, I just stumbled upon it. I've been wanting to see it for a while.

And wow, kudos to the crew behind the move to actually get Cher, Nancy Sinatra and the Monkeys to speak so openly about what went on.

A few things that struck me were Hal Blaine acting like Carol Kaye is his freinds, and such, when in other interviews, he's not been so nice in his comments about her.

I think the sad part is all the sacrifice. We tend to think of that era as this magically golden era of recording, and how much fun it would be to cut all those songs. But then to hear so many of them talk about how their kids essentially grew up without them, and marriages split because the Crew were working so much they never had time for their families. I can't imagine.

And wow, Tommy Tedesco. I had the pleasure of attending one of his clinics at MI way back when. I remember all the teachers saying "It doesn't matter if you don't play guitar, you want to be there", and so I was. It was an incredible night. I've been to top name drum clinics and can barely remember a thing, but I always remember Tommy Tedesco's clinic.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 PM

By the way... The Wrecking Crew coming to Netflix Thursday (July 30, 2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
By the way... The Wrecking Crew coming to Netflix Thursday (July 30, 2015)
On cool.

I want to see it again. And I missed the first few minutes when it was on tv.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

great movie. Muscle Shoals has an even more a human story behind it......and they made hits in the middle of nowhere.
I think the great common thread of all these places, Shoals, Wrecking Crew, Stax and Motown were they all had a great ear and taste for what to play.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 PM

Fun movie. Love to listen to Hal's stories and the other Crew's discussions.

Available to watch anytime for $3.99 on Amazon instant movies, which is how I saw it.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Muscle Shoals has an even more a human story behind it......and they made hits in the middle of nowhere.
That definitely has something to do with its appeal to me. I also loved how unassuming those cats were. Roger Hawkins didn't really believe he was a good drummer until Jerry Wexler told him he was.

Sorry to keep going on about an off-topic movie. I will watch the Wrecking Crew movie and then I can talk knowledgeably about it.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM

I went to a small local theater to see it, after reading the Hal Blaine book some years ago. As great as it was, the book has so much more in it, and comes entirely from Hal's pov. I can't recommend the book enough - Hal has lived an incredible life and been very lucky (for most of it).
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Ha ha - until I joined this forum, the only wrecking crew I knew of was the Harley race team from the 1920's:

"....It is believed that the term "hog," in referring to a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle, traces back to the early 1920s. The official Harley-Davidson company racing team of that era was known as the "Wrecking Crew" because of their nearly total domination of the dirt track races they entered...."

http://wildprairiehog.com/index.php/...es-called-hogs

But the movie you're talking about sounds pretty neat. Must have been a great living.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7 View Post
I went to a small local theater to see it, after reading the Hal Blaine book some years ago. As great as it was, the book has so much more in it, and comes entirely from Hal's pov. I can't recommend the book enough - Hal has lived an incredible life and been very lucky (for most of it).
I have to agree, if I had to trade lives with someone, Hal could top the list. Just for his experiences with all those GREAT people alone. What a life that must have been. Making money hand over fist, making a permanent mark on culture, being in demand....having the awards to prove it....not having to set up the drums lol....does it get any better?
Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM

I watched Muscle Shoals on Netflix the other day (great btw).. and was shocked to find out that Roger Hawkins played drums on Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'! I've played that tune for years with various bands.. and for some reason always thought it was Bernard Purdie on that track...now I'll have to channel Roger!
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I have to agree, if I had to trade lives with someone, Hal could top the list. Just for his experiences with all those GREAT people alone. What a life that must have been. Making money hand over fist, making a permanent mark on culture, being in demand....having the awards to prove it....not having to set up the drums lol....does it get any better?
I love his work and his attitude, but I'd pass on the life swap. The strain on family alone would probably do me in!
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Then you also get two divorces and ending up broke.

He admits in the movie the success of his career came at the price of failed marriages.

Hal had an incredible run, but I wouldn't want to trade lives.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxman View Post
I watched Muscle Shoals on Netflix the other day (great btw).. and was shocked to find out that Roger Hawkins played drums on Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'! I've played that tune for years with various bands.. and for some reason always thought it was Bernard Purdie on that track...now I'll have to channel Roger!
Next to Jim Gordon, or even in place of him, Roger Hawkins is one of my favorite drummers. I thought for sure the rhythm section on "Respect" was all black guys. What great feel. The Swampers are completely undersung.