DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

Default This one will be a tribute to Fat Elvis...

Bottle of sparkle! lol

House of Kolor Ice Pearl... The drum will be Apple Red Candy with a white stripe in the center. Then it's getting a nice Ice Pearl treatment so that it'll have enough sparkle for Fat Elvis.

I'll probably get the paint done tomorrow and have pictures of it then. Just thought I'd show off the sparkle in the ice pearl. If anyone is redoing your drums this is a nice way to go if you've got an airbrush or spray gun. I'm hoping to shoot the clear by Wednesday.. I'll update the photos as I go along. Seemed like everyone enjoyed my last drum so I figured I'd do a sparkly one.

Last edited by crazyhorse; 04-16-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: This one will be a tribute to Fat Elvis...

sweeeeeeeet. sparkle it up, my man! You gonna show all the step-by-step pics like you did on the last one?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post

Bottle of sparkle! lol

House of Kolor Ice Pearl... The drum will be Apple Red Candy with a white stripe in the center. Then it's getting a nice Ice Pearl treatment so that it'll have enough sparkle for Fat Elvis.

I'll probably get the paint done tomorrow and have pictures of it then. Just thought I'd show off the sparkle in the ice pearl. If anyone is redoing your drums this is a nice way to go if you've got an airbrush or spray gun. I'm hoping to shoot the clear by Wednesday.. I'll update the photos as I go along. Seemed like everyone enjoyed my last drum so I figured I'd do a sparkly one.
Man and I thought that was a bottle of stripper-glitter LOL.I do love glitter and sparkle kits though nothing looks better under stage-lights.just one man's opinion.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Yea.. this one I'll do more of a step by step process since I'm going to be shooting the clear myself. I think the shell I'm working with is 13x5 this time. I've got to round over the edges since they were cut a little too sharp for my tastes personally. That's what happens when you don't do it yourself. =) Will probably have a little too much ring if I don't.

I'll get photos as I go through the painting process.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

I too am a fan of glitter but not on my own set. (im such a hypocrite)

But if i ever custom paint my drums ill probably add a little accent glitter on the snare or something.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Gold Member

See... my set is actually natural maple. So I use funky looking snare drums to offset it. =)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
See... my set is actually natural maple...
gross.

and 20 more characters

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

lol Guess I better just order a bulk case of ice pearls from House of Kolor and spray it all over my kit at random.. weeeeeeeeee
Old 04-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator

MAN, DO YOUR CAR.....
Old 04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Gold Member

Actually my latest subaru IS a white pearl already. I got tired of owning blue WRX's (I've had 3 now)

Not to mention sanding a drum is enough of a pain... I can only imagine having to do an entire car!
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

Ok.. today was my day off so I started the ole painting process. Apparently what I thought was a good masking job turned out to be a little crooked. Thankfully this drum is probably not going anywhere and I think the rim will cover it up anyways.

First I sanded down the shell with 320 grit paper... Don't have pictures of this because well... it's just a shell.

Then I applied a sanding sealer to help smooth out the grain before painting. The edges were masked off to save me the trouble of sanding them back down later. Usually I'd recommend cutting the edges yourself then you don't have to mask them. This particular shell was a deal I picked up that had edges already done.

Once that dried I wet sanded it with 400 grit to get the surface prepped for primer. I'm using a grey primer because if I used white my red paint would be pinker than it already is!

Now that the primer is on (and wet sanded yet again!! smoooooth is king) I masked off a 1 inch wide spot down the center of the drum. To make sure it's straight I used my super fancy straight edge and marked along the shell to keep my taping straight. My edges might be off but this line is spot on.

Paint time.... Keep in mind I've never used House of Kolors paint before and I'm using an airbrush here rather than a real gun. It took some time to get the paint to the right thickness so that it would spray and I've had to sand down a few spots and start over. Now that I'm building up coats it's coming along just fine. If you try something like this... PRACTICE FIRST.

That's it for now... waiting on the latest coat to dry. I reallized after the fact I should have done the white stripe first. It'll be nearly impossible to keep it straight with masking tape again. So... I have to decide if I dare try it or just do a burst where the white blends up into the red... should be easy enough with an airbrush. Either way the next "paint" application will be the bottle of sparkle!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:25 AM

lookin great so far...
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Platinum Member

Nice.... but can you hurry up and finish it already?! I wanna see more pics!
Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

Ok... so... I wanted to try my line out after all... The camera makes it look wavier than it really is but oh well.

I masked over the masking tape that was already there for the center line. Then I used a razor to slice where the line was masked. This allowed me to pull out the center line while keeping the area around it masked off. It's not perfectly straight but I'll set about fixing that tomorrow. Or I may just leave it a lil wavy since I'm keeping this one for myself and you'd never see it from far away. I've learned my lesson and the next one I do will be perfect.

Oh and she gets sparkles tomorrow Elvis.. don't worry. lol
Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 AM
Pioneer Member

sweet! you know, a pinstripe would take care of the wavyness..... i think it would look cool. sort of like a rat rod

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
sweet! you know, a pinstripe would take care of the wavyness..... i think it would look cool. sort of like a rat rod
I agree. maybe you could get creative and rather than just having a straight pinstripe, have a bit of a pattern going or something.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

Funny you should mention that... I was going to see if I could get the pinstripe guy at work to knock one out for me today. Don't have the brushes here to do it and I'd probably screw it up.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

what if the pinstripe was a little larger and you checkered it? it looks good in my head but i'm not sure
Old 04-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

yes, i personally think that a black pinstripe would be very sexy.... or a white one of the same color? hmm... decisions.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Gold Member

I dunno bout the checker... I'm going to get a black pinstripe around the white though to really set it off. Wet sanded the paint down tonight to get it nice and smooth. I decided to hold off on the ice pearl until the pinstripe is done so I can coat over the entire drum with it.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 PM

maybe put two white pintripes either side of the white stripe. I have no knowledge of how to do up a drum shell so I don't know what you could do, but the some of the suggestion like black pistripe sound good.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Actually... in the name of bling I'm going to do a silver stripe as a border to even it all out. In retrospect I SHOULD have used a silver base instead of flat grey and the Kandy would have stood out a bit more. Ah well...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 AM
Gold Member

Ok... so lessons learned from today's work.

1. Masking - Mask off the edges if you already have them cut... then go back with a razor and carefully cut them even with the edge. This will prevent the horrible lines shown in the following picture. The rims will cover it... but still...

2. Clear Coat - Poly is VERY thick... thin it out quite a bit if you're using an airbrush like I am. The downside is that you REALLY have to spend some time laying the coats on nice and thin to build it up.

3. House of Kolor Ice Pearls ROCK

Here's a picture I just snapped after the first round of clear coating. I've got another coat to do and then I've got to wet sand it tomorrow and buff it out. Keep in mind this is the first drum I've ever painted rather than stained. =)

Old 04-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

In the sun today after another coat of clear... Still haven't sanded or buffer... that comes later

I'm thinking my next one I'm going to play with the marbelizer too... figured out what I did wrong with the Kandy and some other silly mistakes so I'm pretty sure the next one will be spot on. =)
Old 04-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member

Are you still going to do the pinstripe to separate the white and red? Just looking at it now, a nice silver stripe about 3-5mm in width would be damn sexy, and if you get it perfectly straight, the slightly wavy previous masking jobs wouldn't matter.
By the way, after doing some airbrushing when I was in school for an art subject, I know how hard it is to make sure everything is masked properly; as in straight or the right shape and completely sealing to the surface.
All in all though, the paint itself looks great in the sun. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Yep.. going to have the pinstripe on in the next day or so. I'm torn between gold and silver. Figure I'll let the pinstriper take a look and see what his experience tells him. Just REALLY wanted to get a coat of clear on to protect the paint. Otherwise even the slightest nick would be a pain to fix.

In retrospect the stripe would have been MUCH easier had I done the right thing... live and learn I suppose. I'm pretty happy in how the paint itself turned out. Takes a lot of patience using an airbrush but at the same time it's pretty easy to get good even coats. Time to go out and buy a real gun though.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

looks nice. i would go with the silver pinstripe myself..
Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Pioneer Member

this is gonna look hot when it's done. I cant wait to see the pinstripe and the clear.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 AM
Gold Member

I'm afraid it's not quite up to par sparkle wise with what you prefer... but I think she'll look pretty darn good with the pinstripe and a nice buffed out finish. =) I've already got an idea for my next one.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

I did finally finish this one... ended up waiting a week on $1.50 worth of screws until I just said screw it (bad pun) and picked them up at Home Depot. The throwoff needs a spacer to get it up off the rim a bit and I want to make some gaskets for the lugs... but here ya go.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hey, it's done! Good move on the pinstripe. I have the belief that if you're layering two colours like that, a pinstripe of some size in necessary to set them apart from each other a bit; you can see that when cars get custom paint jobs be experienced spray guys because there is ALWAYS a pinstripe to some degree.
On your snare, the pinstripe improves the snare more than 10 times 10 fold in my books. Plus it covers up your wonky tape job from earlier ;)
Seriously though, looks great, and will probably sound even better after you get that strainer sitting right. Well done.
Cam
Old 05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

That looks hot! How does it sound?

-Mofle
Old 05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

Sounds great actually. The Keller shells are pretty much guaranteed to sound good as long as you don't screw up anything. I REALLY need to get some gaskets for the lugs to get the tension rods a bit straighten but it tunes up easy enough. I'm probably selling this one to my student tonight if he likes it. His mom has been looking for a set for him and the one they found is sans snare so I'm going to let him have this one for like $175 or so.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Pioneer Member

wow -- looks great. The pin stripes really set that off. Nice job. A whole kit would look killer like that.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
wow -- looks great. The pin stripes really set that off. Nice job. A whole kit would look killer like that.
I figured you'd dig the stripe. Now to find some material to make some gaskets out of since apparently this particular lug doesn't have one available from my wholesaler. I'm just not happy with the tension rods being that angled and I need to put the gibraltar throw off a bit further out anyways.