DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Best cymbal hard cases available

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good hard case for my cymbals. There are plenty to chose from but ideally I'd like one with a compartment for my other stuff - ie: Drum keys, sticks, setlist, attenuators etc.

Any ideas.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best cymbal hard cases available

I've used the Humes & Berg Enduro for 10 years and it's served me well. It doesn't have pockets, but it has plenty of space inside and I have Velcroed various things in there (polish, a rag, spare felts, etc.).
Old 04-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I have two Zildjian "cymbal safe" cases and they're my favorite. I have Enduro drum cases, and they're durable...so I'm sure that their cymbal cases are just as good.

birch
Old 04-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178 View Post
I have two Zildjian "cymbal safe" cases and they're my favorite. I have Enduro drum cases, and they're durable...so I'm sure that their cymbal cases are just as good.
I've seen the Zildjian cases and they are good. In fact, I kind of like them better then the Enduro because the Enduro is pretty bulky and the Zildjian case has a smaller profile, although they hold just as much. On the other hand, the Enduro case does give extra room for accessories if you want to toss those in.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I've seen the Zildjian cases and they are good.
Mine's pretty weak. It keeps of coming apart at the edges because it's only attached at the center with one bolt and one screw. It's not really bad, but still, it could be better. There may be a Sabian one that's really good. I think it's held together at more than one place.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the skin man View Post
Mine's pretty weak. It keeps of coming apart at the edges because it's only attached at the center with one bolt and one screw. It's not really bad, but still, it could be better. There may be a Sabian one that's really good. I think it's held together at more than one place.
Sounds like you got a bad one, because I've had my first cymbal safe for close to 7 years now and it's still good as new. And I got a lot of weight in mine...5 crashes, 1 ride, 2 chinas, 2 splashes, and set of hi hats. Aside from all the scuff marks from being lugged around (and thrown around), it's still in good shape.

Deathmetal, I agree with you on the Enduro case. A friend of mine has one and it just seems too bulky, but it's made by a good company.

birch
Old 04-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you got a bad one, because I've had my first cymbal safe for close to 7 years now and it's still good as new.
Does your center bolt have any plastic or rubber on it? Mine's just bare metal and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

both of mine have a bare metal bolt.

birch
Old 04-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

I used to have a bare metal bolt on mine but I went to the hardware store. For 20 cents a foot you can get clear plastic tubing (I think it's 3/8" inside diameter) that will slip over the bolt and you can cut it with a razor. While cymbals don't spend much time in the transport case, they have all their weight resting on the bolt and it's not a bad idea to pad the bolt a bit.

I also went to this place locally that makes custom gaskets and they gave me like 10 discs of flexible neoprene rubber, each disc about a foot in diameter (they were going to throw them away) and a sixteenth of an inch thick. I cut holes into the center of each disc and I put the discs between the cymbals. It adds more weight and takes up more room, but the Enduro case can take it and there is no metal-on-metal contact. I have a 20 ride, 18 china, 13 hats, 17 crash, 12 spash and 8 splash in there and sometimes more.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Thanks guys. As usual some top advice there. It makes sense to put a storage pocket in the hard cases like on the soft ones though...
Old 04-21-2007, 02:55 AM

I used an enduro case for 8 years. I also used felt between each cymbal. Sold it last week with my K Customs. The new cymbals.... need a slightly bigger diameter case. I have a Paiste 2002 Ride now, 24"
Old 04-25-2007, 05:35 AM
Pioneer Member

If I am transporting and handling my gear, I usually use a cymbal bag. But I do use a Protechtor case when I am on a bus tour or van and trailer tour. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't a convenient way to fit a china in!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw