DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-14-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Updated kit! New prototype hats!

Here are some new pics of my Gretch Catalina Club kit, with the new addition of some Sabian HH Prototypes! My kit is slowly shaping up to be perfect for me -- now to replace my crash.

And the new hats...

Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Updated kit! New prototype hats!

Crazy looking kit my friend.
I'm diggin the kit and finish.
I'm guessin you play a jazzy style?

One thing I've always wondered.
How do you get the prototypes?
I've never seen them at the drum shops.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:33 AM
Pioneer Member

wow... your drum kit is really beautiful! and Sabian Prototypes - great!! I just ordered Sabian Jojo Mayer Prototype hats for me! Tell us more about them, what were you looking for soundvise and how do they sound like?

ps. how long did you have to wait for your hi-hats?

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the comment man!

I do play a lot of jazz stuff, I'm in a combo and whatnot, but I'm working on getting more into the hip hop scene, and I'm also going to be doing some live d n' b with my friend sometime soon. My main focus with my cymbal selection is to have unique cymbals that are at least somewhat versatile. This isn't the best metal kit as you'd probably guess, but it's perfect for the styles of music I play.

To answer your question about the hats, I actually did get them at my local drum store. The store hosted Sabian when they went on this thing called the 'Vault Tour' (you can see the branding on the last pic), where they essentially just showcased all of Sabian's cymbal lines, and also some new prototypes. The owner of the store was offered the opportunity to buy up any cymbals he liked, and this is the only pair of hats he grabbed. I'm glad he did -- they're amazing!

edit - Raymond, thanks for the comment. Your kit is amazing as well, and definitely an inspiration. To elaborate on the hat's sound, they're pretty dark/trashy overall, but have a very crisp chick, and a really nice open hat sound. If I can ever get ahold of some mics, I'll be sure to post up some clips.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Jusstickinaround

I had the same kit, but traded it for a vintage Ludwig in wmp. Those little Gretsch kits sound great. I did the side by side test with with the Gretsch floor tom and a DW floor tom at GC that got all the DW fanatics in an uproar. The only problem I had was getting use to the 18" kick, I couldn't get use to the feel of it off my beater, other than that I loved it..
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 AM

I like this little kit, interesting cymbals, shame my local drum shop is 4 hours away.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:44 PM

I am wondering how "flexible" your 18" kick is? I have thought about buying that exact kit.I have heard from several friends that this kit sounds really warm,an attribute I prefer.Mind giving us your take on that?
Thanks
tracer
Old 04-14-2007, 02:42 PM

hey that's a nice set up you got there. I also have a catalina club and I love the sound.

answering tracers q- the bass drum is very flexible....if you fool around with the heads and tuning, you can find great sounds. Right now I have a coated ambassador on the batter with a small, square, piece of a shirt I cut for where the beater hits- it reduces the attack for a nice bass drum sound. And on the reso is the Gretsch stock coated head-basically a powerstroke 3.

Back to the klt- I love your cymbals too...I like to play unique ones as well.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I am wondering how "flexible" your 18" kick is? I have thought about buying that exact kit.I have heard from several friends that this kit sounds really warm,an attribute I prefer.Mind giving us your take on that?
Thanks
tracer
I really like the sound of the bass drum, and I'd say it's quite flexible, especially considering I'm still using the stock batter head on it. I've cranked it up for bop music, and then tuned it back down for music that requires a more punchy bass, and it really does well on both ends. I'd definitely reccomend this kit. It sounds great right out of the box, and really sounds more like a high end kit than one at its affordable price range.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Sweet kit and the finish is very nice! The cymbals are very nice. Is that a 20" AA Raw Ride?

Joe
Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
KARL MEMBER

Looks very good! Especially those proto type hats and this Raw Ride!!
Congrats!

But one question about the AA Ride: Is that baby even hammered??? I can`t see any hammer signs...but anyway it sounds beautiful.

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the comments.

Karl-
To answer your question, no, the raw ride is not hammered in any way. As the name would suggest, it is a completely raw cymbal, left just as it was cast - no hammering, lathing, polishing or anything of that sort. I agree that it sounds great though. It's got the same characteristics as many great hand hammered turkish cymbals I've heard, and what I really like is that none of the rides look the same!