DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Meg White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Many of her detractors seem to be young drummers who don't realise how badly they compromise the groove while focusing on showing off like their drum idols (not you, Matthias haha).
Actually I did belong kind of in that category when I was in my teens. But really (and maybe I should just let this thread go ;) ), Meg White wouldn't ever come to my mind when it comes to superb grooving. (As wouldn't necessarily Mike Portnoy by the way - despite the fact that I was a big fan for some years, and I do still admire his work)

And I'm generally with the few in the thread who point out that just the fact that what Meg can do fits the music quite well, and that she inspires a lot of kids because her playing is very accessible doesn't make her a genius, really. Somewhere in this or another thread there's a nice Peter Erskine (I believe) quote floating around that say it beautifully: You have to be able to do the complex thing in order to deserve credit for consciously playing simplistic for musical reasons.

I don't want to bash Meg or say she is bad, I just think her playing is very, very average, and it doesn't really deserve a lot of attention in my book. And it wouldn't if it weren't for the Stripes I believe. (I'm not saying she doesn't deserve attention, she can have all the fame in the world, I don't mind, but not her playing.)
Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky CrÍpe View Post
I actually really want to see that painting now, but it doesnt seem to come up, ay other link?
Here you go:

http://www.anthroposophie.net/bilder...n_comp_rgb.jpg

Matthias, I don't think a lot of us here are trying to say she's a genius, or amazingly talented, or the best drummer in the world due to her style. I don't think anyone actually has said that. But for what she's shown, she's certainly not a bad drummer.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
Matthias, I don't think a lot of us here are trying to say she's a genius, or amazingly talented, or the best drummer in the world due to her style. I don't think anyone actually has said that.
+1
Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
You have to be able to do the complex thing in order to deserve credit for consciously playing simplistic for musical reasons.
QFT.

I know it's been touched on before in this thread, but it's worth highlighting the point again. If I can only draw stick figures......am I a great artist because of my minimalism or just severly limited?

Quote:
I don't want to bash Meg or say she is bad, I just think her playing is very, very average, and it doesn't really deserve a lot of attention in my book. And it wouldn't if it weren't for the Stripes I believe. (I'm not saying she doesn't deserve attention, she can have all the fame in the world, I don't mind, but not her playing.)
I wouldn't call her bad either. I've heard far worse than Meg. She's achieved much with limited ability......more power to her. I admire anyone who gets up and gets on with it. She's never claimed to be anything she's not and what she does is fine by me.

But I've gotta agree with Swiss.....her playing is really nothing to write home about. "Great", it just ain't IMHO. She's just another drummer that I'm more than happy to listen to, but will never aspire to.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
But I've gotta agree with Swiss.....her playing is really nothing to write home about. "Great", it just ain't IMHO. She's just another drummer that I'm more than happy to listen to, but will never aspire to.
Response:

Quote:
I don't think a lot of us here are trying to say she's a genius, or amazingly talented, or the best drummer in the world due to her style. I don't think anyone actually has said that. But for what she's shown, she's certainly not a bad drummer.
You know what i think is cool about Meg? Until she came along I didn't think it was possible to play so simply and for it to work - to sound pleasing. That opened my mind, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I also think it's cool that there are so many wanna-bes on YouTube who diss her but who can't play with functional tightness like she does (again, not including you in that group, Pocket). I like the idea of learning to play properly first and then add to your repertoire if need be (or in Meg's case, stay put). I find that lack or pretence refreshing.

There are a ton of kids out there thrashing away with headache-inducing efforts as they try to be Aaron or Joey or Neal or Gavin etc because they want to be DRUM SUPERSTARS, but they are really sloppy. Then you get someone like Meg who wouldn't be able to play the things those kids do, but she doesn't care about being lauded, just playing appropriately and tight enough for her parts to work with the music (and with a sweet-sounding kit).

The Meg Controversy is very similar to The Ringo and Charlie Controversies, just taken to another degree ie. she's less sophisticated again than those guys ... thought I'd better spell that out :) ... I repeat, I am not comparing Meg's playing with Ringo's and Charlie's, just noticing the similarities in the debates about them.

Perhaps it's right that there are controversies. It's radical. Just as Pridgeon and Bruner and Harrison etc are pushing the boundaries of rock virtuosity, Meg's pushing the boundary the other way (probably without ever giving it the slightest thought) ... that's always going to get people talking, especially since it goes against the grain of the usual push for bigger, better, faster, stronger ... to be ever more amazing.

The boundaries of drumming are being pushed in every direction and I see no problem with that.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
...The boundaries of drumming are being pushed in every direction and I see no problem with that.
It's almost as if...

Gasp!

Music is an art!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 AM

I know this is rather random but do any of ya'll listen to The Neon Trees? girl drummer :) just wanted to put that out there... :D
Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also think it's cool that there are so many wanna-bes on YouTube who diss her but who can't play with functional tightness like she does (again, not including you in that group, Pocket).
A point well highlighted on a recent youtube ref you made Pol. As I said, there are far worse than Meg out there.

No arguments from me. Meg's cool......in fact, Meg can do whatever the hell she wants.....minimalistic or not, she's the one getting paid, not me.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
A point well highlighted on a recent youtube ref you made Pol. As I said, there are far worse than Meg out there.
Just thought I'd highlight the word "ref" :)
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM

From the few tracks I saw on youtube, I would not call her drumming tight. Also, drums can be played in a simplistic fashon and still groove like hell (Phil Rudd from ACDC). I am sorry but Meg doesn't groove. Any drummer that aspires to play like her is aiming for mediocrity. And don't get me started about her live vocal skills.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Yes Phil Rudd is a guy that comes to my mind too.

Or guys like Steve Gadd, or let alone Keith Carlock. They are able to choose to play literally nothing but a money beat but still groove like crazy.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaIEYahGhcY
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM

... she plays just like THEY want it to sound like...well all bands play the way THEY want the music to sound like to the ones who is listening.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Rebel

Kind of hard, if I have a crush on Meg or not, nevertheless She does the job for The White Stripes and fits dead right.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Kind of hard, if I have a crush on Meg or not, nevertheless She does the job for The White Stripes and fits dead right.
+1 from me Ian. She completely suits the unmolested vibe of the act. A cleaner drummer would tighten the act, & that would leave it naked. A more expressive drummer would force attention away from the raw "warts n all" guitar vibe. It's a one man + support show that gets the job done. Great, IMO, no. Can I see why it's popular, oh yes!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Yes Phil Rudd is a guy that comes to my mind too.

Or guys like Steve Gadd, or let alone Keith Carlock. They are able to choose to play literally nothing but a money beat but still groove like crazy.
Keith Carlock is an absolute BEAST on drums. Listen to his money beat on 'Morph the Cat.' Talk about groove...good God!

Last weekend I got asked to play in a minimalist blues band with just guitar, harmonica and drums. No bass. We didn't rehearse, I just showed up and they handed me a song list. I knew most of it but what I didn't know I just asked to hear the guitar line and then made up a groove to fit. I only had a snare, bass, hi-hat and ride cymbal.

Anyway, the point was, I stayed in the groove the entire night. I maybe played 2 fills the entire night, because if you try filling when the only other rhythm is a guitarist playing, things can get shakey. It was a ton of fun. A few other area singer/songwrite types just randomly showed up and sat in for a few songs. It made me think that maybe Meg is staying home for similar reasons.

In the last song we played the guitarist pointed to me and I took a solo. Compared to what I was playing the rest of the night, it was ripping. The crowd loved it. It made me think about how much better a few chops will sound in the midst of a lot of really simple playing. Anyway, I had a blast and the bar owner has given us the carte blanche to come whenever we want and play.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
here she is...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Meg_White.html

i just wish after ten years she could learn to set up a drum kit properly

j

ps: don't bash meg...

... you don't need to
I wasn't aware there was aproper way to set up your kit. I thought whatever way was comfortable for you was proper.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

Okay, we've established that Phil Rudd, Keith Carlock and Steve Gadd are better drummers than Meg. Yes, the sky is above us and dogs like trees too :)

Does it matter? Is Jack rushing to the phone to steal those guys? Meg suits the act musically and also in non musical ways - the latter often being underestimated in importance. How many times have you been driven crazy by a band member who plays great but can't help but to cause problems and / or spoil the vibe?

Meg's presence works with the WS and the duo gives millions of people a great deal of pleasure. However, they don't please Matthias or Late Bloomer. I doubt that Meg will lose any more sleep over that than Neal Peart would over me not being a Rush fan :)

I don't know why I like The Stripes. As a King Crimson fan, really I shouldn't. But I do. I think it's their charm. When we're charmed we don't care about flaws. Maybe the flaws are part of the charm? I dunno. Not everyone is charmed by the same things either. It's the X-factor.

Whatever, I'm not into bashing any drummer who's getting out there and doing it, especially if they're playing in front of huge crowds ... I'd be totally overawed if I had to do that.

Great post, Average. That was enlightening.

Andy, "A cleaner drummer would tighten the act, & that would leave it naked" was an interesting perception. A bit of looseness does seem to fill things in more because there aren't clean spaces between the notes - not good in a 6-piece group but it seems to work in the WS duo format.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 AM

I guess at the end of the day it just frustrates me a little, that in the pop industry, true talent is not as important as portraying a cool image. Most of my favourite drummers are just groovers who add a few tasty fills here and there. Not stick yeilding maniacs.
The only thing that annoys me about Meg thing, is the acclaim that is poured on her, by people who maybe don't know what good drumming is meant to sound like, whether it is complex or very simple. I know this is not Megs fault. Man I would love to play to massive fans like she does. May be I am jealous.
As far as drum set ups go, she would almost qualify for the tom angles thread. Makes it look worse with the swirly design on the rack tom resonant head . I think Pollyanna is a little in love with Meg, and love is blind.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
The only thing that annoys me about Meg thing, is the acclaim that is poured on her, by people who maybe don't know what good drumming is meant to sound like, whether it is complex or very simple. I know this is not Megs fault.
Travis Barker and Joey Jordison cop a lot of flak for the same reasons. I've never heard any of them claim to be anything that they're not. Better to blame the fanboys for their misrepresentation, rather than the poor drummers I'd suggest.

Perhaps we should start a "Does excessive fanboy-ism ruin a drummers credibility?" thread. :-)
Old 10-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Banned

I got a new student last Tuesday. A 13 year old girl inspired to drum by Meg White.

Thanks Meg.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I got a new student last Tuesday. A 13 year old girl inspired to drum by Meg White.

Thanks Meg.
I reckon 2 lessons should be enough. Sorry Meg.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think Pollyanna is a little in love with Meg, and love is blind.
LMAO - actually, I think the problem is that YOU'RE the one who's in love with her, but she's unattainable so you put her down ;-)

Seriously, I just don't like seeing musos who are out there doing it being dissed. I've done the same when people have bagged out Ringo too. Sure, some fans are annoying in the way they hype their heroes, but we live in a hyperbolic media-driven age.

Thing is, why dis any drummer? At least she's flesh-and-blood and not a bloody drum machine. The WS are one of the steadily diminishing number of popular acts that's not digital ... or 100 years old and rehashing their hits from 30-40 years ago. They're also probably the only act that's bringing blues to a new audience. 8Mile's excellent comment (#230) says it all.

And, as Wy's comment shows, she inspires young girls to drum. It sure beats sitting around reading Dolly and obsessing about your appearance IMO ...
Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM

Meg White is the perfect drummer for the White Stripes.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
I reckon 2 lessons should be enough. Sorry Meg.
I hate to say this about any woman, but think of Meg as an open door. When this student is ready I'll introduce her to Terry Lynne Carrington and a host of other great female drummers.
Also think of this; How many 13 year olds have you inspired this week? Or any of us for that matter. Profile is as.important as skill. Sad but true.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Silver Member

Hey guys

I don't see the point on hating on Meg White. She makes White Stripes what it is and the drums are perfect for beginners. Sure she's pretty basic and has a bad tempo but White Stripes wouldn't be as awesome without her!
Ok, Jack... One of the best guitarists ever (and an really good drummer and keyboard player)
Meg... A Novice drummer.

Think about it? Nobody is as bad as Lars Ulrich.

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Here you go:

http://www.anthroposophie.net/bilder...n_comp_rgb.jpg

Matthias, I don't think a lot of us here are trying to say she's a genius, or amazingly talented, or the best drummer in the world due to her style. I don't think anyone actually has said that. But for what she's shown, she's certainly not a bad drummer.
man, i dont wanna get into a conversation on appreciating art but wow. I can't see how people i know think jazz is just random loud noise, but i can when they say the painter could have been drunk and do this. Really, i think the whole idea of something abstract has taken over some peoples minds too much, maybe mentally, but it doesnt take much physical talent to to this.

I'm just not one for art my man

And to the people saying leave meg alone....this is a drum forum, and we do bitch! ;) And i wouldnt have it any other way
Old 10-17-2010, 07:55 AM

what everyone fails to get here is that, Meg White is only the drummer for her band or duo. Whatever you call it. She's not a seasoned, practiced, nor educated musician. She plays the parts her and her brother come up with. Thats it. If her band did not become successful, Meg White would be doing something else for living. She's not a real drummer. She's more of a songwriter and producer than she is a musician. I don't agree with that sloppy sound being hard to achieve. If you can really play, you can get that sound, or a tight one if that's what the song requires.
There's not much to discuss here, yet you're all beating the horse after it has died.

Is Meg a good drummer? NOOOO!
Did her and her brother create a band with an original sound that her drumming is a crucial part of? YES!!

End of story. Now Stop Talking.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
man, i dont wanna get into a conversation on appreciating art but wow. I can't see how people i know think jazz is just random loud noise, but i can when they say the painter could have been drunk and do this. Really, i think the whole idea of something abstract has taken over some peoples minds too much, maybe mentally, but it doesnt take much physical talent to to this.
Funky, all that shows is that you know more about music than art :)

Bear in mind that that small web image posted by Steel was to illustrate a point, not to convey any of the presence or texturing of the piece. It would be like judging this song after hearing this version :)

The artist, Piet Mondrian, a leading light of the De Stijl movement which inspired The WS could actually paint far more complex things - he had chops. However, he became interested in minimalist design and this style of art remains popular and influential ... it had an impact on architectural design and its uncluttered approach looks great hung on walls.

By the same token, the WS are also popular and influential. As April said, Meg just happens to be the drummer for the WS. Others could fulfill the role ... but why get Steve Gadd to play in that style? It would be like cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer.

Would YOU want that gig - to be harnessed in such a restricted role? Could YOU resist the temptation to add extra spice ... spice that Jack obviously doesn't want? It probably wouldn't suit you one bit, but it suits Meg because I doubt she feels restricted by her role, while most drummers would find it most frustrating (C'mon Jack - I practice my rudiments for hours each day to play this!!?). I'm no chop monster but I'd find that gig frustrating. It would be cool for a few gigs, but gig after gig ... year after year ... ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Horses for courses ...

Physical talent is a fabulous thing, but it's not the only thing ...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Jennygirl

Hi guys,

Wow controversial thread.

Have to admit, I find listening to White Stripes difficult - because of the drumming. If I could somehow detach from the lack of timing and finesse, and if I was less of a critical thinker, I might be able to appreciate it. But this is my nature so... that's ok.

I think having a female drummer can be a good gimmick. White Stripes are a gimmicky band - guitar and drums only, chick drummer. Lots of punters don't hear time well - they don't even know the drums are out. They see a chick drummer and they think WOW COOL. They are lucky - the bad playing does not torment them. White Stripes sells some albums for doing something a bit different.

I listen to Jack White's other stuff like the Raconteurs and the drumming is freakin awesome, the musicality is phenomenal, and White Stripes pales by comparison.

In the end it comes down to subjective appreciation though and my opinion is no more/less valid than any other. Personal taste and perception. My perception = white stripes drums are dodgy. My taste - dodgy drums = not very pleasurable listening experience. And I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't play gigs if I sounded like that. I'd be too embarrassed.

<drum snob alert!> :)
Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
Hi guys,

Wow controversial thread.

Have to admit, I find listening to White Stripes difficult - because of the drumming. If I could somehow detach from the lack of timing and finesse, and if I was less of a critical thinker, I might be able to appreciate it. But this is my nature so... that's ok.

I think having a female drummer can be a good gimmick. White Stripes are a gimmicky band - guitar and drums only, chick drummer. Lots of punters don't hear time well - they don't even know the drums are out. They see a chick drummer and they think WOW COOL. They are lucky - the bad playing does not torment them. White Stripes sells some albums for doing something a bit different.

I listen to Jack White's other stuff like the Raconteurs and the drumming is freakin awesome, the musicality is phenomenal, and White Stripes pales by comparison.

In the end it comes down to subjective appreciation though and my opinion is no more/less valid than any other. Personal taste and perception. My perception = white stripes drums are dodgy. My taste - dodgy drums = not very pleasurable listening experience. And I can honestly say that I probably wouldn't play gigs if I sounded like that. I'd be too embarrassed.

<drum snob alert!> :)
I totally agree with this post.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Banned

People putting down someone like Meg White come across as jealous. It's kind of pathetic. What does her success have to do with their lives??? Nothing. She made it. That is her crime. They didn't. That is their regret. Pathetic!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
People putting down someone like Meg White come across as jealous. It's kind of pathetic. What does her success have to do with their lives??? Nothing. She made it. That is her crime. They didn't. That is their regret. Pathetic!
I don't think i have heard anyone give out about her success wy, all power to her for it. We're just critiquing a drummers abilities
Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM

To be perfectly honest, I am not so much critisizing Meg's drumming ability. I am more critical of general audiences out there who heap praise on musicians like her based solely on the cool or sexy image they portray. They generally only hear the surface of music and don't have a clue on what the full sound is. I think history will show many successful bands or musicians/performers were actually not much chop, but maybe had the X factor to wow the crowd.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
We're just critiquing a drummers abilities

Why?

Old 10-18-2010, 12:44 AM
Jennygirl

Quote:
I'm jealous of Sheila E!

Maybe don't take it so personally? If you honestly don't appreciate people attacking other people (my motivation wasn't attack btw) then maybe don't do it yourself? If I put up a video of myself and it's not in time and you call it, sweet, I'd totally accept that and agree with it. I don't begrudge Meg White being successful at all - good for her. Doesn't mean I can't speculate on why it has worked for her - speculation not factual claims. Suggesting I'm jealous and pathetic is really just a projection of your own insecurities man - maybe you think she's great and when people disagree you feel like their criticising your taste. You don't even know me, or anyone else here. Why do you need to control what people think? If there's any putting down going on around here it's coming from you.

Peace man. Don't be so angry. It only hurts you in the end. The rest of us are getting on with our lives.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I am not so much critisizing Meg's drumming ability. I am more critical of general audiences out there who heap praise on musicians like her based solely on the cool or sexy image they portray. They generally only hear the surface of music and don't have a clue on what the full sound is. I think history will show many successful bands or musicians/performers were actually not much chop, but maybe had the X factor to wow the crowd.
LB, people like the WS because they play rootsy, well-written songs, they put every fibre of their being into their playing, and they are fun. The WS aren't there to offer technical goodies to Serious Young Musos ... it's all about the story and the emotions and a lot of people dig that. Sounds fair enough to me.

Many's the talented young band that's been overtaken in the musical rat race by what they consider an inferior unit and wondered "Why them and not us?". Most times it's because the more popular band tugged at people's emotions.

I remember a band comp we played back in the Paleozoic Era. We were beaten by a punk outfit. We had an eclectic set, with time changes, key changes, and plenty of dynamics and musical subtleties. Our guitarist, bassist and sax player were accomplished musos. Our sax player made about half his $$ from session work.

The punk group played dead simple stuff that all sounded the same to me ... and they romped home.

I felt cheated at the time. But now I realise that they spoke more directly and clearly to the crowd than we did, and the crowd responded (with help from a sizeable rent-a-crowd haha).

Being able to connect is not a gift to be underestimated. Some have it, some don't. Personally, I don't, but that's okay. I no longer feel jealous or miffed at the "injustice" ... there's nothing wrong with people wanting to identify more than they want to be impressed.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygirl View Post
I'm jealous of Sheila E!

Maybe don't take it so personally? If you honestly don't appreciate people attacking other people (my motivation wasn't attack btw) then maybe don't do it yourself? If I put up a video of myself and it's not in time and you call it, sweet, I'd totally accept that and agree with it. I don't begrudge Meg White being successful at all - good for her. Doesn't mean I can't speculate on why it has worked for her - speculation not factual claims. Suggesting I'm jealous and pathetic is really just a projection of your own insecurities man - maybe you think she's great and when people disagree you feel like their criticising your taste. You don't even know me, or anyone else here. Why do you need to control what people think? If there's any putting down going on around here it's coming from you.

Peace man. Don't be so angry. It only hurts you in the end. The rest of us are getting on with our lives.

Angry? You are making an assumption. When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

I am not angry. Meg White's career means nothing to me. What baffles me is how important it is to others.

I've been in this game a long time and have seen professional jealousy time and time again. I know it when I see it. It does not anger me. It amuses me. And I think it is sad.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
well said...........................................
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Jennygirl

Quote:
Angry? You are making an assumption. When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

I am not angry. Meg White's career means nothing to me. What baffles me is how important it is to others.

I've been in this game a long time and have seen professional jealousy time and time again. I know it when I see it. It does not anger me. It amuses me. And I think it is sad.
Oh well... if you think it, then it must be. Rock on.