DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-26-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Meg White

I have a great respect for Meg, and I do think she is a very good drummer. She's creative, she sdoesn't just use the basic drumbeat in every song, she doesn't go all out and try to show off her talent and play beats because she can, she's modest and i think that her drums fit the song better than any fast, complex beat would.

And after all, the Stripes are very successful, she's has to be doing something right.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Meg White's stiff, awkward drumming is just part of the band's gimmick.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Hmmmmm... sometimes I wonder.. would things be different if Meg White was a guy? I mean is it easier to find fault in her playing because she's a female drummer? I've seen a lot of guy drummers with really bad set ups and bad technique, but don't get bashed at, not as bad as this anyway...
Its so funny.. no one has even accented that shes a female before you.. I would say that your makin problem out of nothing, but i wont:]
Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 AM
FlamThrower

MODERATOR EDIT: Here's a hint. If you find yourself using the phrase "I'm going to say this and it's probably going to get deleted again," maybe it's time to drop the subject.

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-04-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

From the booklet of the Stripes' latest release, Icky Thump; a list a of people the band would like to thank for contributing to their musical career:

"After ten wonderful, fortunate, and tumultuous years, The White Stripes would like to thank,
God, Electra, Tara and Star, Jasper...

...(long list)...

...To Krupa, and Mitchell, and Buddy, Bonham, and Bellson..."

Well, there you have it. Meg's influences.

YEM

P.S. Apparently Jack White is going to play Elvis in an upcoming movie.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:33 PM

It's unfair to think that a 20-something woman who started to play drums because her husband couldn't find anyone else can achieve any credit or success is very unfair. Many drummers, including myself, put their time and effort into becoming accomplished at the drums, inventing fills and generally committing themselves to their art, are ignored.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah, agreed. She's not great, just something that was needed.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
DW Pro Drummer

I feel like chiming in here - and mean no disrespect to anyone who has expressed their opinion here - but....

Yeah, she has a quirky feel because of her apparent lack of chops... That said, I think the band sounds great! Her unique feel on those rhythms is a big contributor to that sound in my opinion. In fact, If I had to sub for her with Jack, I would have difficulty getting that feel. To me, that makes her a very good drummer. Those who think they can do better?... let's hear your music! :D
Rather than tear down, let'slearn from what is out there and try to play better ourselves! yeah!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums View Post
She does whats needed to make the song sound good. To me thats a great drummer.
i think meg is a pretty good drummer.. easy on the eyes too ;)
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
It's unfair to think that a 20-something woman who started to play drums because her husband couldn't find anyone else can achieve any credit or success is very unfair. Many drummers, including myself, put their time and effort into becoming accomplished at the drums, inventing fills and generally committing themselves to their art, are ignored.
Like mentioned before, in art, effort doesn't necessarily equate to success/popularity. I felt exactly the way you do, until I listened to them more closely and realised what she was doing in the context of their music.

I feel that the tom angle is intentional, as well. I like the way the WS sound and I feel you need a different mindset to play like she does. IMO, it's someone that's been playing for a while, deliberately avoiding the rudimental approach. So she is an innovator, however simplistic.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Life's not fair. Get used to it.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward View Post
I feel like chiming in here - and mean no disrespect to anyone who has expressed their opinion here - but....

Yeah, she has a quirky feel because of her apparent lack of chops... That said, I think the band sounds great! Her unique feel on those rhythms is a big contributor to that sound in my opinion. In fact, If I had to sub for her with Jack, I would have difficulty getting that feel. To me, that makes her a very good drummer. Those who think they can do better?... let's hear your music! :D
Rather than tear down, let'slearn from what is out there and try to play better ourselves! yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by intooder View Post
Like mentioned before, in art, effort doesn't necessarily equate to success/popularity. I felt exactly the way you do, until I listened to them more closely and realised what she was doing in the context of their music.

I feel that the tom angle is intentional, as well. I like the way the WS sound and I feel you need a different mindset to play like she does. IMO, it's someone that's been playing for a while, deliberately avoiding the rudimental approach. So she is an innovator, however simplistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums View Post
Life's not fair. Get used to it.
i'm glad all of you all said these comments, i've had all these feelings floating around while reading this thread and the many others just like it on this & other forums. the whole subject is beyond old.

when it comes down to it. i don't think she really cares about all the negative criticisms she is getting from fellow drummers. look at Ringo. similar stuff has been said about him as well. i think he and his career has survived those criticisms just fine and so will Meg's.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
From the booklet of the Stripes' latest release, Icky Thump; a list a of people the band would like to thank for contributing to their musical career:

"...(long list)...

...To Krupa, and Mitchell, and Buddy, Bonham, and Bellson..."

Well, there you have it. Meg's influences.
Actually Jack wrote that stuff about the drummers, not Meg. He says in the Interview Magazine interview (July or August of 2007) that he misses instrumental virtuosos and the swing feel in music. He says there are not enough players in popluar music today that are known for playing an instrument and he mentions those masters of swing in the liner notes b/c of this.

Meg didn't talk much in the interview.

Personally, I like Meg's drumming, and I love the White Stripes.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
Actually Jack wrote that stuff about the drummers, not Meg. He says in the Interview Magazine interview (July or August of 2007) that he misses instrumental virtuosos and the swing feel in music. He says there are not enough players in popluar music today that are known for playing an instrument and he mentions those masters of swing in the liner notes b/c of this.

Meg didn't talk much in the interview.

Personally, I like Meg's drumming, and I love the White Stripes.
Yeah, well I got the feeling that Gene Krupa wasn't a huge influence on Meg. She doesn't ever seem to talk much either...
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho

as to your first point i do agree with it actually. in a weird way meg gives all drummers hope. how so?
read here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id35.html

j
i think meg is a good drummer and easy on the eyes too
Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Silver Member

If I could trade styles with Meg.....I wouldn't. However, Meg plays exactly what the White Stripes need. It's perfect for them.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho

as to your first point i do agree with it actually. in a weird way meg gives all drummers hope. how so?
read here:

j
Will someone please tell this amateur that his tom angle is completely wrong and lacks any sense of quality ergonometry? I can't believe this dude's even in a band with these kind of tom angles.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Senior Administrator

yeah that amateur needs some advice...look at how messed up his skins are. i bet he's powerful but doesn't have much fine technique. he's probably more of a showman. i wonder if his drum set up has changed since this picture was taken.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
yeah that amateur needs some advice...look at how messed up his skins are. i bet he's powerful but doesn't have much fine technique. he's probably more of a showman. i wonder if his drum set up has changed since this picture was taken.

j
LMAO well put!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Meg White may not be the most techinical drummer in the world, but she's by far the coolest.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Administrator

i disagree. she is cool looking but coolest would have to go to someone who looks cool and acts cool and at the same time is amazing on drums.

my vote?

this man...

Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

j

This guy really takes the cake. I mean......he's got amateur written all over his face. Look at those angles and that ride cymbal!!! He wouldn't last ten minutes with Nutha.

LOL! all in good fun.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Administrator

nah, actually i've met him, he's a pro. he sits low and so his tom angles are very ergonomic.
j

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
this man...

a fine choice.
would love to see him behind the kit more nowadays. The video for QOTSA 'No One Knows' always reminds me of what we're missing.

The White Stripes are pretty much the coolest band in the world at the moment though i reckon. And Meg, gets my vote by default cos she's 50% of the band ;)
the coolness is purely non-drumming related though.

Drumming-wise I think the coolest guy is:

Keltner

coo-oool

Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
This guy really takes the cake. I mean......he's got amateur written all over his face. Look at those angles and that ride cymbal!!! He wouldn't last ten minutes with Nutha.

LOL! all in good fun.
hey man.. dont be hating on nicko.. fine drummer!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 AM

Do you think guitar players on guitar forums discuss Jack's sloppy and simplistic playing as much as we do Meg's?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasta View Post
Do you think guitar players on guitar forums discuss Jack's sloppy and simplistic playing as much as we do Meg's?
I actually like his guitar playing, especially in Icky Thump. But i think his sloppyish style is what is great about the white stripes.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I like what Meg does, and the songs wouldn't sound nearly as cool if everything was 'just right'.
She plays a lot with what the guitar is doing, and I think it's cool. If the kit was set up 'right' it wouldn't have the same feel at all.

Their stuff is a refreshing change to what has happened to rock music in that last 5-10 years.

Half the time you don't know who the band is on the radio because they all have the same guitar tones, and the droning singer, the same production, same lame flat drum tones...blah!

I don't really listen to corporate owned radio these days....
Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i disagree. she is cool looking but coolest would have to go to someone who looks cool and acts cool and at the same time is amazing on drums.

my vote?

this man...

Agreed. In addition to being a fine drummer, he just seems like he'd be a lot of fun to hang out with.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:44 PM

Perhaps I'm not supposed to drudge up these old threads, but I had kind of a funny observation. With all this talk about rack tom placement I can't even rightly remember a White Stripes song where I've heard her play it. So maybe that's why it's all jacked up? Just there for show?

Haha, take this post with a grain of salt. Also, I've only heard a few of the WS hits.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:40 PM

Wow! Meg sure caused some controversy. I'm gonna avoid all that and just say...

I <3 Meg!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianMan1023 View Post
i think meg is a pretty good drummer.. easy on the eyes too
yes! ha. i think of the white stripes more as a band than i do as two artists IN a band. their music has a very relatable feel to it, in the fact that it doesn't (or isn't) sound hard to play. it has very much the sound of "the band next door that plays and records in the basement on a 4-track" it's this very, homegrown honest feel to me. there's nothing flashy about it. it's simple, fun, and original. if meg isn't the best drummer then what does it matter? i don't think she's trying to be in any way, nor do i think she wants to be any sort of drum pioneer. she's just doing what she wants and is having fun with it.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

I often wonder what the White Stripes would sound like if Meg tuned the drums herself.

(although maybe she does! could that be where her genius lies?)

That's my favourite thing about her drumming, really. Except that crash. Or ride, or whatever it is. But how much of that is down to producers and recording engineers?

That's the trouble with music nowadays, it's so hard to tell what comes from the musicians themselves, and what's just clever editing and beat detective.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 AM

Default Meg white?

Think she is more of a time keeper than anything, not really much technical or interestin stuff goin on, just keepin it all steady, like a live metronome. But i still think the producing and the drum sound she has is what makes her sound better. If she played on a dodgy old maxwin kit with a few binlid cymbals i reckon you would see that she isn't anything hugely special a lot more...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:45 AM

Jack White once compared Meg's playing to Robert Johnson tapping his foot on a wood floor. She was able to provide the exact sound he was looking for. Simple as that.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:

read here:

j
I think Lars Ulrich has a weird tom arrangement like that, but I'm not entirely sure.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:24 AM

There are other girl drummers that place their tom(s) at such an extreme angle, such as Torry Castellano of The Donnas pictured below. I am pretty sure they do that because it makes getting around the drums on fills less demanding for them, and allows them to keep their hands close in without reaching out too much. Women are built differently than we are and the drums are a very demanding instrument. Whatever they can do to make it less strenuous for them on the road is their goal. Not that this matters, but I talked to Torry at this years NAMM show, and my goodness she is hot in person.

And yes.... Jack White does write the drum parts for Meg and he is a very good drummer himself. She plays the parts he writes for her exactly, so that in itself makes her a talented drummer. Who knows how good she is just sitting down and playing for fun? Charlie Watts, Stan Lynch (ex- Tom Petty) and Phil Rudd (AC/DC) are all very simplistic drummers on recordings, but all of them can really impress with their chops outside of their band restraints. Same goes for Neil Schon, the guitarist for Journey. He is very restrained and follows the melody of what is written -- but outside of Journey the guy has world-class chops and can flat out shred ala Yngwie Malmsteen. My point is that it is unfair to judge someone in the context of what they play in their "famous" band gig, and to say someone is not a great musician based solely on that is ludicrous at best.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiserenade View Post
Perhaps I'm not supposed to drudge up these old threads, but I had kind of a funny observation. With all this talk about rack tom placement I can't even rightly remember a White Stripes song where I've heard her play it. So maybe that's why it's all jacked up? Just there for show?

Haha, take this post with a grain of salt. Also, I've only heard a few of the WS hits.
She plays it in EVERY song. In fact she usually starts with a steady beat on it, or the floor tom or bass (one of the three). She sounds like a click with tone.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM

My friend once asked me who I thought the most underappreciated drummer ever was, my answer was close between Meg White and whoever the current drummer for Marilyn Manson is.

One thing I really appreciate about Meg is she really goes against the commin grain of drummers. She has a very distinct style, and it fits with their music.

Example; I've noticed she often plays her crash and bass drum at the same time. This is usually only done by beginners who havn't developed limp independance yet, but she somehow makes it sound cool.

Example II; This is a two person band, and even though she keeps it simple, she still manages to fill out the songs. Take an amazing drummer for example and try and imagine them writing for White Stripes. It just doesn't work. I think that combo is one of the few where you can take simple drumming, simple guitar, and put them together in a sweet and interesting way.

I think she's a very mediocre drummer, but an AMAZING White Stripe. Sense? Probably not.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Hmmmmm... sometimes I wonder.. would things be different if Meg White was a guy? I mean is it easier to find fault in her playing because she's a female drummer? I've seen a lot of guy drummers with really bad set ups and bad technique, but don't get bashed at, not as bad as this anyway...
Don't get all feminist on us. A drummer's a drummer whether they have a penis or a vagina. Get over yourself, because nobody is discriminating here. (P.S. nobody has even mentioned the fact that she's a girl until you.)