DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Flying Dragon -- which one?

I went into Guitar Center to check out the Flying Dragon -- good price compared to the DW 5000's and 9000's. They had a flying dragon double chain pedal. I have always heard good things about the direct drive pedal and never heard anything about the chain.... i have never played a direct drive (only strap and chain pedals).

how will the chain and direct drive pedals differ?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Flying Dragon -- which one?

They are both great, but I found the direct drive to be much more responsive and smoother than the chain. I'd definitely recommend the FD Direct Drive. Good luck man.

Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
They are both great, but I found the direct drive to be much more responsive and smoother than the chain. I'd definitely recommend the FD Direct Drive. Good luck man.

Mike
how do you feel it compares to the DW 5000's -- which i love the 5000 turbo (i have that and the accelerator but dont like the feel of the accelerator as much).

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Direct Drive. No, get your feet on both systems, see which feels best to you.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 PM

Yeah, you should check both out. The chain pedal is very smooth, I bought one myself and chose it over the DW5000. It was a very close one back then but when I play a 5000 now I'm happy I chose the Yamaha, because they definetely are a bit smoother.
The direct drive is a bit more responsive of course, but a bit heavier, so it's up to your preference which pedal suits your style best.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

i say no, i say go for the iron cobra

Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
Have you tried the FD's?

I have tried the 5000's and found them to be ok, but not as smooth as the FD's. They were a bit more rugged and rough. Once I get the FD's, i'm changing the beaters though. I never did like those big round ones. I'm more of a fan on the Iron Cobra beaters.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Hey FE. I just got finished researching double pedals and ended up going with the Iron Cobras Power Glides. I just got rid of my 5002 AD3 Accelerator double chain driven pedal and I was planning on buying the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive. After playing the direct drive I could not stand the feel of them(FD direct drive owners I mean no harm) and I was not that impressed with the double chain driven either.....granted I liked the feel of the double chain better than the direct drive. I just found the direct drive to be extremely awkward feeling. I did not even intend to buy Iron Cobras but after playing them I fell in love with the feel. I just thought I would share my experience with them.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
Hey FE. I just got finished researching double pedals and ended up going with the Iron Cobras Power Glides. I just got rid of my 5002 AD3 Accelerator double chain driven pedal and I was planning on buying the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive. After playing the direct drive I could not stand the feel of them(FD direct drive owners I mean no harm) and I was not that impressed with the double chain driven either.....granted I liked the feel of the double chain better than the direct drive. I just found the direct drive to be extremely awkward feeling. I did not even intend to buy Iron Cobras but after playing them I fell in love with the feel. I just thought I would share my experience with them.
cool! thanks! what didi you not like about your 5000's?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
cool! thanks! what didi you not like about your 5000's?
I played those bad boys for 2 years and they did serve me well but they started to just feel heavy to me. I have always been a double bass player and although I like to play all styles, heavier music it what I play best. I play a lot of double bass and when I would play music from bands like Lamb Of God and Shadows Fall they just felt like they were kinda heavy and slow. Don't get me wrong....I would never discourage someone from buying those pedals.....they are very good, I just knew I wanted something different.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
I say state a good reason why, other than: 'ya they rulez0r!'
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Exactly, Iron Cobras are great pedals of course, but there's a bit too much hype about them. "Teh Cobras r0xx0r becuz JJ uzes em"
I have to say that I didn't actually test the ICs because when I was looking for doublebass pedals the salesman told me there were major quality issues with the recent pedals they got and he wouldn't advise buying one at that time. From what I heard though, Iron Cobras are very light, almost too light, whereas DW 5000s are a bit heavy as others have already correctly stated, the FDs lie somewhere in between and are therefore a pretty well balanced option.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Pioneer Member

well i went to GC yesterday and tried out a bunch of pedals. I tried the Flyign Dragon Chain (no direct drive), the IC and the Pearl Eliminator.

The flying dragon was (to me) the worst of the bunch -- felt very heavy and slow when comparred to my 5000's. Of the ones I tested, I liked the IC's the best, but i did not like them anywhere near as much as my 5000's -- so I am going to stick with those. I still may sell my accellerators in favor of turbos. However I do wish I could just buy new cams and put them on....

anyone know if this is possible?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
well i went to GC yesterday and tried out a bunch of pedals. I tried the Flyign Dragon Chain (no direct drive), the IC and the Pearl Eliminator.

The flying dragon was (to me) the worst of the bunch -- felt very heavy and slow when comparred to my 5000's. Of the ones I tested, I liked the IC's the best, but i did not like them anywhere near as much as my 5000's -- so I am going to stick with those. I still may sell my accellerators in favor of turbos. However I do wish I could just buy new cams and put them on....

anyone know if this is possible?
It's funny what we think we want before we try things out. I really had my heart set on new Flying Dragons when I went shopping for new pedals. Just like you did....I tried as many out as I could and suprised myself by buying the brand that I had no intentions of buying. I'm glad you learned you liked your pedal the best.....now you can use that cash for a new cymbal!! As far as the cams go I have no idea if you can swap them for the turbos? Maybe you could email DW and ask a rep? Good luck man.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 PM

Yeah, it's strange sometimes. I could swear the 5000s are way heavier than the FDs, but it also depends on spring tension and stuff like that, are you sure you played both with the same adjustments?
Mapex589 the same happened to me when I went to buy my drumset. I went in the shop to decide wether to buy a Pearl Export or Yamaha Stage Custom. They didn't have a SC and the Export sounded really bad so I checked out some other sets and went with the Sonor Force 2005 although I didn't like Sonor at all before I played that set.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

i bought a Flying Dragon FP9310 chain drive back in September. best damn pedal i ever played!!!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals