DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Yamaha Hardware vs. DW Hardware

Hey All!

I just wanted to get some advice on hardware. I usually use DW 9000 stands and pedals, but have been thinking of turning over to Yamaha. Don't get me wrong, the DW gear is fantastic......but perhaps has become slight overkill for my current situation. I'm interested in the quality of the Yamaha stands and the feel of the Yamaha flying dragon double pedal. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha Hardware vs. DW Hardware

I have recently sold off almost all of my double-braced stands, in a weight reduction measure, and gone to Yamaha single braced hardware. Yamaha stands are excellent. I'm running all 600 and 700 series straight stands. Gone are the days of me running 20" crash cymbals 6' off the floor, so my need for a 15 lb. cymbal stand is gone also. As far as Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive pedals, I own 2 single pedals. I at first had one DW5000A3 which I A/B'd for over a month against a Yamaha FDDD. The Yamaha won, I sold the DW, and bought a 2nd Yamaha pedal. Get your feet on one, 'cause only you can say "what feels right" for you, but I converted.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks man! Since you have a Yamaha Pedal, have you ever had an issue with the hinge? The ball bearing hinge on my DW pedals seem to be finnicky....coming loose from the footboard, creating play in the side to side of the pedal.....so I guess I'm just asking if its durable/dependable for your situation.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:20 AM

I am interested in your DW 9000 series stands. I use Tama IC pedals. But the cymbal stands or cymbal combination stands I am interested in. (provided you are in the United States.)
Old 04-09-2007, 04:33 AM

The 9000 stands are incredibly heavy duty. They are all double braced, have a boom arm option ( they can be straight or boomed, your preference) and have a memory lock on every possible level of the stand, including the legs and boom arm itself. The only criticisms I have of the cymbal stands is that they are incredibly heavy and the "tech-lock" adjustment for the angle of the cymbal is plastic and could possibly break, even though none of mine ever have.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddlesforyou View Post
Thanks man! Since you have a Yamaha Pedal, have you ever had an issue with the hinge? ...so I guess I'm just asking if its durable/dependable for your situation.
I've probably now only had my Yamaha's for a year. Bought both off eBay. "Gently used" but 1 looked showroom fresh. Judging by what I see, they'll last me a lifetime. And if I get another double pedal, it'll be a Yamaha also. Same outstanding feel as the single, in my opinion. The DW5000 double that I had exibited a little of that hinge play, but for the $150 I paid for it, it was a real workhorse. When I sold it, I got about what I paid for it. The newer A3 model I did the comparison with was a much tighter unit. And I think DW did upgrade/address the hinge play problem you mention. I looked and played them all, Tama, AXIS, Pearl, and the Yamaha won my money.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:04 AM

What I mean is, which models do you have and how much do you want for them ? I use DW 9000 series on some of my set ups. I have an Ayotte Custom 4 piece set, and two Rogers sets that I am using DW 9000s with. Im looking for either a couple boom stands or a Double Cymbal stand with dogbones.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:33 AM

ploughman,

Im sorry I misunderstood what you actually meant! Unfortunately I am not getting rid of them for a while, as I don't have the funds to switch over. But I will definitely keep you posted if you would like me to! Thanks man
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 AM

The Yamaha stands will handle anything you throw at them without all the extra weight and bulk. The 700 series single braced line is great. It's light wight and heavy duty. It's what Gadd tours with and he hits HARD.