DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Default TRAK drums

Has anyone ever heard of TRAK, I heard that they made drums in the 80s and then around early 90s disapeared because of financial problems. So, are they good quality, does anyone own a TRAK set or does anyone have any info on them???
Old 04-09-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: TRAK drums

Basically CB's. Westburys.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 AM
Silver Member

I see around here they cost 3500 NOK, while a Tama Starclassic costs about ten times that. That says enough about them for me.

-Mofle
Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
I see around here they cost 3500 NOK, while a Tama Starclassic costs about ten times that. That says enough about them for me.

-Mofle
Price is often not what says if a set is good or not, its all in the sound in wich one is looking for. I hope you read this and think about it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepjb View Post
Price is often not what says if a set is good or not, its all in the sound in wich one is looking for. I hope you read this and think about it.
price is a refection of market value. IF something is valued, it follows that it will usually cost more. In our business (drums), instruments that are valued have a great sound, great build quality with great finishes. Drums that lack these qualities are not valued and thus are cheap to buy.

i hope you read this and think about it.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
price is a refection of market value. IF something is valued, it follows that it will usually cost more. In our business (drums), instruments that are valued have a great sound, great build quality with great finishes. Drums that lack these qualities are not valued and thus are cheap to buy.

i hope you read this and think about it.
And what if there is a new companie that that comes out and sells for a small amount but sounds amazing?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
And what if there is a new companie that that comes out and sells for a small amount but sounds amazing?
well, unless they break the laws of physics, they would need to use materials and production techniques that other companys use -- those materials and techniques (and the experts to work with them) all come at a price. Cheap materials and cheap labor produce bad sounds.

Now it is entirely possible that a company can go into business to lose money -- meaning they hire expert craftsmen, use fantastic materials and apply great finishes and sell it for a cheap price (i.e. less than market value) however it is also entirely unlikely.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 AM

My first kit was a Trak.

No, they're not good. You cannot record a CD with them, or even a solid demo. They are useful if you don't have a lot of money, and are starting out. If you have a lot of experience with drums, then you could maybe make them sound good, but they're pretty much ply wood and glue.

Therefore, the Trak kit is what most people would call an entry level kit. Again, it can get the job done, but do not expect it to sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkintriplets View Post
My first kit was a Trak.

, but they're pretty much ply wood and glue.

Most drums except solid shells, staves and acrylic are plywood and glue.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighaibigdrums View Post
Most drums except solid shells, staves and acrylic are plywood and glue.
That's why it's an entry level kit.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

thinkintriplets.
my DW is plywood and glue.... is it entry level?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Only when you play it Elvis! *burrrrrnn*

lol
Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Only when you play it Elvis! *burrrrrnn*

lol
that would hurt if it was not so true :)

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Well... what can ya do ya know... the sparkles are blinding!

PS: My next build you'll love... House of Kolor metallic white with a red candy red stripe.. then a layer of ice pearl and clear.. she'll be SHINY
Old 04-11-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:

thinkintriplets.
Dont know much about drum construction do you? What do you think they mean when the say 3ply shells?
Old 04-13-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Dont know much about drum construction do you? What do you think they mean when the say 3ply shells?

Hmmm... not much. Depends on the company, and the wood. However, as a general rule, in terms of loudness, a 3 ply shell would be less loud than that of a a 6 ply.
Is that satisfactory for you? Or should I delve into how different woods are cut differently????

Anyways, my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood in general. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Trak drums are not made of a specific type of wood, or combination of. They're kinda of random, and don't sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Hint: Don't come in here acting like you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't.

I've seen 3 ply drums that are thicker than some 6 ply drums. So... I'm going with the guy that said you don't know much about how they're made. =) Also... "ply wood" just implies that it is layers of wood glued together. In the case of drums it's not just random wood. For instance... on my snare drum it's "ply wood" made up of all rock maple.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Hmmm... not much. Depends on the company, and the wood. However, as a general rule, in terms of loudness, a 3 ply shell would be less loud than that of a a 6 ply.
Is that satisfactory for you? Or should I delve into how different woods are cut differently????

Anyways, my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood in general. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Trak drums are not made of a specific type of wood, or combination of. They're kinda of random, and don't sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

No its not satisfactory to me. I think Crazyhorse summed up my feelings eliquently.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:16 AM

I guess I can see how you drum guru's are bashing me. And I apologize if I offended you.

However, insults, and trying to put someone on the spot isn't truly something that mature person would do. I mean, what's the point? I think it's a general question many people have. And for those of you that are interested in a possible explanation (because there are several), I will provide an explanation that fits well to the theme of these past posts.

It's called a Downward Social Comparison.

See, if someone has a low self-esteem and are successful in something, they begin to take advantage of the situation by making negative comparisons about others that are generally O.K. to make fun of in the population (i.e. - in the case of internet web forums (population), people who do not know anything, yet still give advice are frowned upon (the "others")) in order to make themselves feel better.
For example, in this case one may say,”Wow! This guy is a total loser! I know everything about drum construction and this guy doesn't and is trying to give advice?! What a poser! Let's see if I can make a fool of him, and make myself look smart to all of the others on this board!”

However, if you had a high self-esteem, you would not take advantage of the situation basically due to the fact that as a result of having a high self-esteem, there is no need to make someone feel bad in order to make themselves feel better. Therefore, one may have simply posted a message possibly to try to clarify what I tried to say.
For example, "Hey Triplets, are you sure you meant plywood? Because all drums are made of plywood. Maybe there's another term you’re looking for?"

Although there are other factors involved, there is Downward Social Comparison here at work. Even after I reasonably try to answer your question (you avoided specific words of my answer i.e. - means nothing) you criticize me, hence making yourselves feel better by bashing others that are O.K. to bash (i.e. - one that claims to know everything but does not).

If anyone is looking for more explanations, please feel free to pm me. I know much about Personality research as a result of being in my final semester of a Specialization in Psychology Baccalaureate; the Specialization being in Personality, Motivation, and Human Development.

Anyways, I see nothing here that has helped ledzepjb who was interested in whether or not the Trak kit was a good one. Indeed, you guys have become so concerned in bashing me, you have totally forgotten about the point of the thread... to help a fellow drummer.

So please, if you feel as though I have no knowledge (even though I do own a Trak Kit), maybe it would be a good idea to share yours and help ledzepjb.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 AM

No need to pull out the psyhco babel. We just told you you were wrong and you couldnt accept that. You had to try and talk down to people (ie psycho babel) with the hopes of everyone going "Ooooh look how smart he is. He sure made those other guys look dumb" to make yourself feel accepted. Me on the other hand I dont need the mass' acceptance to feel good about myself. I am confident enough in my knowledge and abilities in drumming and life to be able to accept when Im wrong or said something stupid.

So who has the self-esteem problem?

PS your Profs should have told you to never jump to conclusions about someone and especially dont publish said conclusions until you are sure about them. Its a great way to avoid the dreaded "Os Voros Ped" disease. Dont threat thow there is a cure a dosage of Corvus, will cure it in no time.

Last edited by bighaibigdrums; 04-16-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Gold Member

Or just admit that you're new to the idea of how drums are constructed and learn something instead of posting useful stuff that takes up my bandwidth. =)
Old 04-16-2007, 05:29 PM

I truly do see where the confusion lies...

I was mistaken. I used the wrong terminology. When I said plywood, I meant pressed wood. However, it's been a long time since I took a look at that Trak kit of mine, so I'll have to confirm on that detail.

bighaibigdrums - Nice way to try and use my argument against me!!
However, you need to learn how to read other people's posts before you begin to try and act smart (meaning, you didn't read my post carefully enough and you made a fatal flaw in your response that confirms my original point to a greater degree). However, I'll not point out your fault because you're obviously still looking to try and bash me.

crazyhorse - I'm not new to the idea of drum construction. I just have not been using the terminology for awhile (If you want to take a look at all my posts on Drummerworld, I believe this is the first time I've actually posted on Drum gear). Secondly, I did not claim to know much about drum construction. It was you who said I though I knew a lot.

Quote:
Hint: Don't come in here acting like you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't
All I did was try to answer your vague question with a general principal, two things in my answer that I acknowledged. However, in your response (after you trying to make fun of me and discredit me) you did end up clarifying my mistake in terminology, which I have now clarified at the beginning of this post, and is something I know now never to do again. So thanks.

In the end, I still am not claiming to know everything about drum construction. Indeed, I do not know everything about drum construction. All I know are some general rules, and a few things on wood types... that's about it.

Again, as for whether the Trak Kit is a good one, I believe my first post on the topic is accurate (minus the plywood and glue part).

ledzepjb, you have your answer.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
bighaibigdrums - Nice way to try and use my argument against me!!
However, you need to learn how to read other people's posts before you begin to try and act smart (meaning, you didn't read my post carefully enough and you made a fatal flaw in your response that confirms my original point to a greater degree). However, I'll not point out your fault because you're obviously still looking to try and bash me.

thinkintriplets.
Actually I read your whole post very carefully. And once again you are doing exactly what I said. Your using insults to try and look smart. You almost got it right by admiting you had the wrong type of wood . All you had to do was admit you were wrong, but your so worried about people seeing you as smart that you had to go on and on.

BTW your still wrong. The drums arent pressed wood, they are plywood. Pressed wood cant be bent like plywood.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:58 PM

bighaibigdrums - I didn't insult you. Obviously, you are STILL not reading my posts correctly, so I'll try to point something out to you.

What I did was provide a possible explanation to why you were insulting me. An intelligent explanation of an action in my book isn't really an insult, nor is it 'psycho babel'; indeed, that's quite an insult directed at me from you!!

If anything, my explanation tapped into an underlying structure of your personality. As a result, maybe you should take a step back as ask yourself why you insulted me, and possibly learn from the experience.

And being wrong is fine with me. We learn through mistakes. I never said I wasn't wrong. In fact, on the contrary. In my last post, I said I was mistaken. Also, I said that I was not sure about those drums being made with pressed wood, and that I would confirm that detail. I also have said that I didn't know everything about drum construction, and that I knew a few things about the wood and some general principals.

My question now to you is, what the hell are you talking about? I have to admit I was wrong about what?

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:51 PM

they're pretty much ply wood and glue
Except stave, arcylic, and solid shell all drums are plywood

my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood
Many high end drums are combinations of woods

See above

As for the lame attempt at trying to analyse someone you've never met on the basis of just acouple of posts on a chatboard thats pretty dumb. You know nothing about me, my life or any psychological problems I may or may not have. It also could be very dangerous if the person you are "analysing" has a problem and you give the wrong "advice" and something happens.
For the ego part, you come out with a very highbrow, longwinded response to a very simple statement. Then you proceed to announce to everyone how smart you are and how little we know because of your high education. All this points in the direction of someone with little selfconfidence who needs to feel superior to others.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

I'm still laughing... mainly because it's a forum full of people that like to beat on things... obviously we're all disturbed.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm still laughing... mainly because it's a forum full of people that like to beat on things... obviously we're all disturbed.
LOL

20 charactures.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:

they're pretty much ply wood and glue

Except stave, arcylic, and solid shell all drums are plywood

my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood
Many high end drums are combinations of woods

See above
Indeed, I believe that one issue can account for all of those issues raised... the plywood vs pressed wood issue... something that I have already addressed!

Now can you see my confusion to why I need to apologize? Are you not reading anything that I'm saying!?

bighaibigdrums, the advice I have given you isn't profound and I doubt will have a large effect on your life. Indeed like my several posts, you will probably ignore it, which is why this is MY last post on this topic.

The reasons for my statement was clear, to address why people insult other people. I never stated at all about how little you know, all I said was that if people were interested in the topic, PM me and we could exchange ideas.

As for the lack of self-confidence issue, well that's just ridiculous. All your 'evidence' doesn't add up at all because you are clearly not reading my previous posts correctly. You have created ideas out of thin air, and used those ideas to criticize me. Dude, that just doesn't make much sense.

Finally (and I mean finally), not once have I felt the need to feel superior than others. If you have read the posts, it was YOU who INSULTED ME!!! I never said anything critical until I was insulted. You called me out unjustly, so I made sure to call you out justly. That is not me needing to feel superior, it's called fighting back.

Now, I have addressed all your ideas fairly. If you want continue criticizing me at this point, I really could care less because it has been pointless from the start.

thinkintriplets.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Pioneer Member

trak drums suck....

now will a mod please close this thread?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

They don't sparkle enough.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
They don't sparkle enough.
FINALLY!!! someone "gets" it!

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 AM

"my DW is plywood and glue.... is it entry level?"

hi to all... just want to ask if there's a difference with the terms: "plywood" and "ply wood"?

from what i know, "plywood" refers to small chunks of wood, usually composite, glued together for industrial use, such as for wall paneling, for furniture-making and other carpentry works, and sometimes used for bodies of cheap guitars, etc... while "ply wood" refers to the act of gluing wider chunks of specially selected type of wood, usually in terms of its tonal characteristics and durability, on top of each other for a specific purpose...

seemingly, "plywood" is somehow recycled while "ply wood" is somehow specially made...

please correct me... thanks! good day to all!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Pioneer Member

This is a funny thread.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

No offense to the mentally disabled. Except those who squabble over semantics on an internet forum.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM

The 1st kit I bought was a Trak #2. On getting it home, I found it had #4 shells on it. Good.
I had previously played on Premier kits.But the Trak beat them hands down.
I did use oil filled skins.
They were actually made in Japan (like Sony gear used to be) so the quality was A1.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycch View Post
"my DW is plywood and glue.... is it entry level?"

hi to all... just want to ask if there's a difference with the terms: "plywood" and "ply wood"?

from what i know, "plywood" refers to small chunks of wood, usually composite, glued together for industrial use, such as for wall paneling, for furniture-making and other carpentry works, and sometimes used for bodies of cheap guitars, etc... while "ply wood" refers to the act of gluing wider chunks of specially selected type of wood, usually in terms of its tonal characteristics and durability, on top of each other for a specific purpose...

seemingly, "plywood" is somehow recycled while "ply wood" is somehow specially made...

please correct me... thanks! good day to all!
Whether it's spelled "plywood" or "ply wood" makes no difference. Plywood is a wood composite material, made of veneers and glue bonded together under heat and pressure, Cheap guitars and most Western trap drums are made of plywood, but it is a high-grade variety of maple, etc. Remo also experimented with other wood composites, such as Acousticon, basically specially formulated particle board.

Plywood has many advantages to natural whole wood, so it makes a good material for drums.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

No offense to the mentally disabled. Except those who squabble over semantics on an internet forum.
Hahaha! ^^ true true
Old 05-13-2009, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post

Some people around here are pretty touchy about that kind of thing.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
there is...its called Mapex.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Check out the link below, and then click on the Trak catalog.

http://www.drumarchive.com/

Jim