DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Default Power Stroke 3 "Falam" pad

I got my PS3 head in the mail last night and slapped it on my kick, sounds awesome! I was wary of putting the patch/pad where the beater strikes, however, because I wouldn't want to ruin the sound and then not be able to get it off.

I've heard that it gives the kick a "click" sound...which I'm not sure I'd be entirely fond of. I don't play metal...mostly rock, blues, jazz, funk, etc. I don't play super-heavy music but I do whoop on the kick doing Zep tunes and other stuff that requires a good, strong kick. I've never ripped a head...I don't hit that hard...is this thing necessary or even a good idea?

I use a DW beater w/ the soft side hitting the head.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Power Stroke 3 "Falam" pad

it isn't a bad idea and it does extend the life of the head but if you never had a need for one and youre not a heavy player, you may not need it. I have always used them myself. I wouldn't say it gives a clicky sound.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Silver Member

Tape it to the head. You can take it off if you don't like it, or mount it semi-permenantly with the backing adhesive if you do.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

I use the Aquarian super thin patch now. It protects the head but is not as thick as the falam patch.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Its cool that you've got the right sound.

lots of people will say that a falam patch is great for prolonging head life - and dont get me wrong, it is. But the truth of the matter is that with modern mylar, it is almost impossible to break a head, unless your hitting with ten-tonne force, or you have really poor technique. Also, there is no point in making your head last twenty years if it sounds rubbish - the head will last ages anyway, and if it sounds great patchless, then there is no harm in keeping it that way.

I think that ermghoti is right in that you could try taping it to the head, that way you can test if the sound is good.

Hope I've helped.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I got my PS3 head in the mail last night and slapped it on my kick, sounds awesome! I was wary of putting the patch/pad where the beater strikes, however, because I wouldn't want to ruin the sound and then not be able to get it off.

I've heard that it gives the kick a "click" sound...which I'm not sure I'd be entirely fond of. I don't play metal...mostly rock, blues, jazz, funk, etc. I don't play super-heavy music but I do whoop on the kick doing Zep tunes and other stuff that requires a good, strong kick. I've never ripped a head...I don't hit that hard...is this thing necessary or even a good idea?

I use a DW beater w/ the soft side hitting the head.

Thanks!
Man im the same as you...i dont play metal...i play jazzz,blues,a LOT of funk...and the Falam patch sounds beautiful!!!it adds life to the skin(eg:i kick really hard....if that wasnt there it would have been broken thru long ago!)...it doesnt give a clicking sound like the plastic patches...it just gives a thud....it sounds nice....and honestly doesnt make the head much different....try it with tape etc. first then stick it on.....
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

I use the patch. Definitally extends the life of the head and it doesnt ware down that fast. I think it will be great for the funk aspect where you might like the punchy sound that it ads to your bass drum.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
But the truth of the matter is that with modern mylar, it is almost impossible to break a head, unless your hitting with ten-tonne force, or you have really poor technique.
I disagree, the problem is that the beater is hitting the bass drum head in the same spot every time, so it gets worn out, and actually felt is like a sand papper it eats up mylar as time goes

as for the original question, I'd say - slap it on! It really won't make much of a difference, the Falam Slam won't make your bass drum clicky!

my new d'n'b set-up!
Old 04-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Bloom View Post

as for the original question, I'd say - slap it on! It really won't make much of a difference, the Falam Slam won't make your bass drum clicky!
And really, if you totally hate the sound, its just another 35 bucks out of your pocket for a new one. Thats not bad considering how hefty the prices are for other drums, bells and whistles and whatever else you think of.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
it isn't a bad idea and it does extend the life of the head but if you never had a need for one and youre not a heavy player, you may not need it. I have always used them myself. I wouldn't say it gives a clicky sound.
The DW beater with either side being used pretty much mandates a patch of some sort as the plastic side wears the head down with fatigue and the felt side digs at the head! The patch will make a little difference in the sound but I would rather you use one than go thru the head in a matter of a week.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

I've used the small "Falam" patch with felt, plastic, wood, wood/felt and plastic/felt combo beaters and never heard a click. Now, punch a hole in the center of the patch, put a quarter under the patch and center it on the drum head just right, you'll get a really nice click with a wood beater. Old "Pantera" trick.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Sweet, thanks for the replies guys.

The "clicky" aspect was the only one I was worried about...I don't like the click sound, personally.

I put the patch on there the other day and am very happy w/ it. I *really* like that it reduces rebound when I bury the beater....I'm now completely in love w/ the PowerStroke 3 head...by far the best I've used yet.

I did some Stewart Copeland reggae beats on it last night....just the sound I was going for.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Mystic

Glad you like it, it's one of the nicer bass heads I have come by only complaint is that it doesnt sit flush on the shell after several times of reseting it but it still sounds fine I'm just worried of damage to the set or head otherwise great head made a little too resonate unmuffled for double bass grooves but only need a small pillow in there to fix that so next time I may try the Ps4 and the Falam patch really is a great addition.