DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-03-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Eliminators squeaking

My Pearl eliminator double pedals been squeaking. Ive been trying to figure where exactly its coming from and I know its coming from the right pedal, the main pedal, but I can't seem to find out where or what it is. I've tried just spraying WD-40 all over it kinda just to get everywhere and anything. Now I was wondering if other people have had the same problem, or maybe I just didn't take good enough care with it. And if there is any solution or at least figured out what the hell it is that I need to lubricate. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Eliminators squeaking

NEVER NEVER NEVER use WD-40 on your fine drum gear. It is much too harsh and penetrating, and it will actually strip away the quality lubricants that Pearl put on the pedal when they produced it.

Only use light-high quality oils such as sewing machine oil or light gun lubrication oils. They are high quality, mild and do not tend to attract lint, or eat plastic, chrome and finishes like WD-40 will.

Oil all of the friction points on your pedal after you get that WD-40 off of them. By that I mean the bearings, hinges and u-joints. Chances are a good quality oil will resolve the squeak. Also make sure all nuts and screws are adequately tightened.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Pioneer Member

I was going to say that I have heard that sewing machine oil is supposed to be the trick!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 PM

oh wow, thanks for the info. good to hear that. I'm glad I was too lazy to put the wd-40 anywhere else. Where can I get that sewing oil? Like a hardware store? or a crafts store?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM

Im not sure where to get sewing oil...I use bike lube on mine and it works beautifully.

Salicete I hope I'm not copying you by adding this..I'm not sure what you mean by the U joints But here is a spot I found that speaks if not lubed.. Make sure you get it!
Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 AM

hmm, i got really close to my pedal and i was listening for the area where the squeak was exactly, but I didnt hear it coming from there. It was coming from that main axle on the main pedal. where the beater connects to the actual pedal, in that area. Hmm, anyone else have problems with squeaking and know where it was?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:03 AM

Anyplace that sells sewing machines will have that kind of oil.... Sears and places like that come to mind. Now what I am using is a bit different.. I use model train oil.. Cause its plastic compatible... And only in small amounts... If the squeek is coming from the main bearing area some light oiling should take care of that... What I like about the model train oil is the applicator. Sort of like a very small needle easy to get into tight places. As far as a schedule... I lube the mechanical stuff whenever I take heads off to check screws in the shells and stuff. So about every 3 months or so. Also dont forget the high hat stand. That needs regular maintenance also... Any model store should have the oil I am talking about... Sewing machine oil will work.. Dont use WD40 or 3 in one oil.. WD40 just makes a mess.. And 3 in one gets gummy. Also, This is a real case of less is more.. Use as little as you can. Oil stains carpets and wood. Now its obvious that if it squeeks I will work on it.. And with my pearls its mainly the footboard hinge or the u-joints that squeek first... Hopefully if it is one of the main bearings you can get to them... And hopefully they are not of the sealed varity if they are you wont be able to oil em to easily. If I remember on that pedal they are not sealed but you cant get to em without a bit of dissassembly. Also check the springs... Where they touch the spring arm may also be squeeking. Also do that at the tension adjustment... Squeeks can be hard to trace down... Just have to really listen.... Sometimes squeeks can be caused by things rubbing. So there is a lot of things to check for. There is an old car mechanic trick that you can also try.. Its called a listening rod... But your going to have to check around for how to do that. Cause if I tell ya and you do it wrong you could hurt yourself.. But it involves a screwdriver with the tip resting on the item you are trying to listen too and the handle of the screw driver held to your ear. The point of this is that since the noise is mechanically transmitted you can narrow it down... Watched several mechanics do this to try to track down engine noises..

Hope this helps ya out..
Mike
Old 05-04-2007, 03:49 AM

I've had this sort of squeaking on the right pedal and solved it by tightening a few things. I first thought it might be coming from the bearing on the part that connects directly to spring, so I took that apart (I didn't do anything to it though); when I put it back together (with pretty much everything tighter), it was as quiet as ever.