DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Joey Jordison

People on this post keep saying that Joey plays with a lak of passion. I dont think Slipknot could possibly play with any more passion than they do.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:30 AM

The topic of this post is about the two percussionists in Slipknot and whether they should be there. Instead people are trying to say that Joey Jordinson, who is at the moment one of the most talented drummers going around, is bad. I joined this forum expecting to have a chat to people about the drumming world. Instead all im seeing is ignorents and bias towards the things that they dont like.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornslipknot
The topic of this post is about the two percussionists in Slipknot and whether they should be there. Instead people are trying to say that Joey Jordinson, who is at the moment one of the most talented drummers going around, is bad. I joined this forum expecting to have a chat to people about the drumming world. Instead all im seeing is ignorents and bias towards the things that they dont like.
Well, youve posted 5 of your 9 posts in the Joey Jordison thread, maybe expand a little since hes sucha touchy subject.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
The topic of this post is about the two percussionists in Slipknot and whether they should be there. Instead people are trying to say that Joey Jordinson, who is at the moment one of the most talented drummers going around, is bad.
No the topic of this thread is Joey Jordison, and therefore people are giving their opinions, including, "I was blown away by his drumming the first time I listened," and, that he "supports the music well," and, "joey is very tasteful, " and, "I think that without him, Slipknot would be finished," etc. People are allowed to disagree with you, and not everyone is disagreeing with you. Calm down and chill out.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:32 PM

Ok this is my point and i am going off topic but anyway...

I used to see Slipknot as just a stupid, crap band because i judged them off their nine members and masks ect... Then one of my mates gave me their albums and i started listening to them. At first i didnt think much of it apart from the drumming, but after a while i realised how talented they really are. So now when i see someone saying Joey Jordinson is bad, when he obviously isnt, it is frustrating because i know that person has no idea.

Now im not saying you have to like the band obviously, everyone should have their own opinion. If you dislike Slikpknot then that is fine, but to say that they are bad or the drummer is bad whatever, is just crazy.

My advise to people is not to judge that band in a negative way just because of how they present themselfs. I did and i hated them at first, now they are one of my favourite bands.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
My advise to people is not to judge that band in a negative way just because of how they present themselfs. I did and i hated them at first, now they are one of my favourite bands.
Hey, chill out man. Entering the hard path of fame, you gotta realise that people will criticise you, and surely guys from Slipknot were aware of this fact. You can't be mad at people who disagree with your point of view. 'Joey Jordison is a good drummer' is not a fact! It's only an opinion, and everyone has the right to disagree with it.
To be honest with you, I think he's not a good drummer, and you know why? Because my determinant of a good drummer is other than, for example Yours. For me technique, good timing, and speed don't measure the actual skills of a drummer, because there's also something like groove, and this I can't hear in his playing. I realise though, that it's because I don't listen to such music, and for those who do it's totally different thing, and it's ok. I respect it! Don't treat it as starting of "1st JJ War", it's only my private opinion.
So be cool. I respect Joey's skills as a drummer, but for me they're just not enough.
Howgh!
Old 02-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo
For me technique, good timing, and speed don't measure the actual skills of a drummer
I believe that technique and good timing are, in fact, two of the most important charicteristics of a good drummer. Speed is another quality.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Yeah, you're right. Sorry, maybe my statement sounded a bit awkward. I mean, that those skills are not the ONLY ones needed for good playing. For me, the emotions which flow from a drummer when he's playing, make it all sound fine and authentic, but it's hard to achieve without technique and timing :). You know what I mean! ;)
Old 02-22-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacperivo
Hey, chill out man. Entering the hard path of fame, you gotta realise that people will criticise you, and surely guys from Slipknot were aware of this fact. You can't be mad at people who disagree with your point of view. 'Joey Jordison is a good drummer' is not a fact! It's only an opinion, and everyone has the right to disagree with it.
To be honest with you, I think he's not a good drummer, and you know why? Because my determinant of a good drummer is other than, for example Yours. For me technique, good timing, and speed don't measure the actual skills of a drummer, because there's also something like groove, and this I can't hear in his playing. I realise though, that it's because I don't listen to such music, and for those who do it's totally different thing, and it's ok. I respect it! Don't treat it as starting of "1st JJ War", it's only my private opinion.
So be cool. I respect Joey's skills as a drummer, but for me they're just not enough.
Howgh!
Yeah i see your point.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 AM

Well guys i have found something that i didnt know. Joey used to play in jazz bands when he was in school and won many awards for it. So there you go.
i have a link if anyone wants it.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat
Granted he is not THE BEST drummer out there but:
He makes more money than any of us on here will ever make.
He is more famous than any of us on this forum will ever be.
He is better than most of the people on this forum.

If Joey is not a good drummer by your terms then how amazing does someone have to be to be considered good?I think tons of drummers are good outside of my preferred genres.Just because I don't like Steely Dan doesn't make me think that Steve Gadd and Keith Carlock are not great drummers.Joey is a good drummer...if want to hear a crappy drummer listen to The White Stripes.
Thankyou. At least someone on here shows respect to good drummers.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:53 AM

I've seen Slipknot live 4 times in 5 years, and one thing remains. Joey is extremely fast and talented. Sid is a crazy mo-fo who loves to dive off of stuff. Corey Taylor is an impressive vocalist with great and intelligent lyrics, and he can incite a riot. However, if you were to replace JJ with anyone, it wouldn't have that same enery or feel.

and for that reason alone, I would say he's very deserving of the title "Talented Drummer!"
Old 02-25-2006, 08:39 PM

heres a vid i found, its title solo one but seems like more of a sound check...or him jus foolin around, to me he sounds more creative then alot of metal drummers(not all blast beats) but i dont listen to to much metal...i'm more of a rap fan.

http://joeyjordison.co.uk/livevideos.html
Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 PM

I think Joey is one of the best metal drummer, I also liked his solo on the disaster Piece DVD
ok...it's crowd pleasing but hey... his speed still impressed me

The thing that really impressed me is that he is a damn good guitar player aswell ...
Old 02-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Has anyone ever listened to Joey's Work with Satyricon? I like them (but not Slipknot), and Joey is pretty good in that band. He is basically doing covers though; Satyricon has a different in-studio drummer ( I think in-studio guy doesn't have a green card; either that, or he isn't allowed into the U.S. because he commited a known felony or something)

- Marc

Slayer rules!

Last edited by tambian89; 02-28-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:17 AM

I dont see why you think his chops are not top notch when they are. There is no flaw in his drumming at all and i would like you to list or post up a slipknot song (or any drum track from joey), where it clearly shows that his chops are not fine tuned.

As for the people who say that his drumming is repetitive, that is completely done to fit the music. As i said in earlier posts, he isnt going to play jazz beats in a metal song. He plays for the band, not for himself.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Jazz is all about the band. If your going out on stage with a jazz gig, you better be ready to play for the band, or else your not getting that gig again. Your listening all the time, picking things out, making the music sound good by interacting spontaineously with the other musicians. Its all about the team effort in good jazz. So I have to disagree with your statement there. Roy Haynes and Jeff Hamilton and John Riley, those guys play for the band.

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-26-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Administrator

i agree. i think a lot of what people consider jazz here is opinion based on what they've seen on drummerworld vids. but it is important to remember that a lot of those DW vids are of showcase songs for the drummer... the band dops out after the standard intro, the drummer does his solo and the band comes in again. this is NOT JAZZ IN ITS ENTIRETY...in fact it is probably fair to say that this is as much the whole of what jazz is as moby dick is the whole of led zepellin.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Stu_Strib

I don't see how any of the DW jazz drumming clips are any more egocentric drumming for the drummer, any more than any of the metal drummers are drumming for the drummer.

Same thing (showing off chops and tricks and musicality) but for different genres.

The problem with the logic that jazz players are only playing for themselves just shows the lack of understanding of jazz in general. What sounds like 5 random guys playing random notes is in fact all carefully orchestrated (and improvised) complex music that not everyone understands.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Administrator

you missunderstand me stu. i'm saying that some people's only real experience of jazz is the little slices of concerts we see that show case the drummer because DW is about drummers. what we don't see on DW is the three hours of music that surrounded that one instance of drumming highlight. its like someone seeing a video of moby dick and then saying they know everything about led zepellin. metal perfection owns up that he hasn't heard much jazz...but you and i have. in a lot of the jazz i seen and heard the drummer is the most ready to sacrifice his limelight....heck, just think of how a jazz drummer plays his bass drum...feather touch, says it all.

j

Old 03-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Joey is a very humble guy and just a little ashamed of the popularity he gets with his drumming. He knows that his abilities at the moment are not at the level he wants to attain in the future and he has very big respect for jazzdrummers like Elvin Jones and Brian Blade. And he also tries to work on a regular practice schedule and take lessons with good teachers. In no way he is rich - perhabs compared to some scholars or students, but for sure not compared to some serious businessmen here in this forum.

In the whole world there are only 3 rich drummers: Charlie Watts,Phil Collins and Ringo Starr - ahhh: and the King of Thailand.....

Bernhard

Last edited by DogBreath; 03-04-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 PM

Joey play good for Hardcore rock/metal, and he are good to play whit the bass drum, "Fast".
Old 03-04-2006, 08:11 AM
helldrummer

i think joey is a great pop-metal drummer with a clean, tough sound... however, he can't keep time very well.
i'm not a slipknot fan but they are pretty fun to play along to, and what i've noticed is that joey actually speeds up considerably when playing a straight punk-style beat for a while, but then slows down during his double bass rolls.
i can't roll quite as fast as him on my double pedal (or with my hands), so i'm in no position to criticise.. ..but keeping time accurately is the most important aspect of drumming.
if you can't keep time, you need more practice.

as far as joey's fans are concerned.. ..i have a mate who is a drummer and likes slipknot, and even after he saw a virgil donati clinic with me, he said he thought virgil was good but not as good as joey!
he listens to tool and fear factory, and he can't even tell how much better danny and raymond are than joey because he is such a hardcore joey fan
lol :D
Old 03-08-2006, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
i think joey is a great pop-metal drummer with a clean, tough sound... however, he can't keep time very well.
i'm not a slipknot fan but they are pretty fun to play along to, and what i've noticed is that joey actually speeds up considerably when playing a straight punk-style beat for a while, but then slows down during his double bass rolls.
i can't roll quite as fast as him on my double pedal (or with my hands), so i'm in no position to criticise.. ..but keeping time accurately is the most important aspect of drumming.
if you can't keep time, you need more practice.

as far as joey's fans are concerned.. ..i have a mate who is a drummer and likes slipknot, and even after he saw a virgil donati clinic with me, he said he thought virgil was good but not as good as joey!
he listens to tool and fear factory, and he can't even tell how much better danny and raymond are than joey because he is such a hardcore joey fan
lol :D
Where exactly is Joey not in time. Im sure all the people that dislike his drumming wouldnt say it is because of his timing. You could say he is repetetive but his timing is perfect.

II xMETALx II
Xbox LIVE GT: (xTc II D3ATH x)
Old 03-08-2006, 06:00 AM
helldrummer

Quote:
Where exactly is Joey not in time. Im sure all the people that dislike his drumming wouldnt say it is because of his timing. You could say he is repetetive but his timing is perfect.
not on their live album it isn't.
i remember playing along to the blister exists and he speeds up during the cool death-march bit (you should know which bit i mean) and also towards the end

in eyeore he slows down towards the end (where the drumming gets crowded) and i think that is because he starts off a little bit too fast.. like he is pushing himself to play that quickly... which isn't good.

anyway just because you haven't noticed his timing errors don't tell me i'm wrong for pointing them out, you should listen more carefully or try playing along to those songs with headphones

by the way what do you mean by "all the people that dislike his drumming"... 1. i don't dislike his drumming and 2. if i did, i would be one of those people and in that case one reason why "those people" didn't like his playing would be because of his timing. which is definitely NOT perfect. are you even a drummer? anyway, i never said i disliked his playing.. ..i actually think he's good and i've said that before (TWICE) on this forum
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
not on their live album it isn't.
i remember playing along to the blister exists and he speeds up during the cool death-march bit (you should know which bit i mean) and also towards the end

in eyeore he slows down towards the end (where the drumming gets crowded) and i think that is because he starts off a little bit too fast.. like he is pushing himself to play that quickly... which isn't good.

anyway just because you haven't noticed his timing errors don't tell me i'm wrong for pointing them out, you should listen more carefully or try playing along to those songs with headphones

by the way what do you mean by "all the people that dislike his drumming"... 1. i don't dislike his drumming and 2. if i did, i would be one of those people and in that case one reason why "those people" didn't like his playing would be because of his timing. which is definitely NOT perfect. are you even a drummer? anyway, i never said i disliked his playing.. ..i actually think he's good and i've said that before (TWICE) on this forum
Yes i am a drummer and in a band. My fellow band members arnt fans of slipknot but I definatly am and obviously am inspired by his drumming. We do gigs ect... I plan to post us up on this site but we havnt done much recording because we have only recently started.

I know the blister exists part of the song you mean and there is no miss timing at all! The snare work and symbols are perfect, maybe its your own drumming you can hear thats not quite right. As for Eeyore have you even listed to that song? It slows down halfway and then speeds up again at the end, which is exactly what Jordison does. I dont really like Live 9.0, but personally i think he makes the album. Have you listened to the drum solo? That is just over 3 minutes of perfect drumming that is fast and DEFINATELY on time. Do you really think they would have brought that album out with the drums out of time?

You said you think Joey is good and yet you say he is out of time. I certainly wouldnt appreciate a drummer who plays out of time on an album, so im not sure where your coming from.

II xMETALx II
Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 AM
helldrummer

Quote:
Yes i am a drummer and in a band. My fellow band members arnt fans of slipknot but I definatly am and obviously am inspired by his drumming. We do gigs ect... I plan to post us up on this site but we havnt done much recording because we have only recently started.

I know the blister exists part of the song you mean and there is no miss timing at all! The snare work and symbols are perfect, maybe its your own drumming you can hear thats not quite right. As for Eeyore have you even listed to that song? It slows down halfway and then speeds up again at the end, which is exactly what Jordison does. I dont really like Live 9.0, but personally i think he makes the album. Have you listened to the drum solo? That is just over 3 minutes of perfect drumming that is fast and DEFINATELY on time. Do you really think they would have brought that album out with the drums out of time?

You said you think Joey is good and yet you say he is out of time. I certainly wouldnt appreciate a drummer who plays out of time on an album, so im not sure where your coming from.
first of all: good to see another aussie here at dw !

second: i think joey is good because of his chops, his speed, his technique, etc. not his timing when playing live... ..a good drummer (like joey) can record in time but a great drummer (like raymond herrera or danny carey) also stays in time when playing live (imo)

i think we must hear things a bit differently because i find his drum solo on 9.0 quite boring and very sloppy in parts... i certainly don't think it is right on time

do you play against a click track? or do you sometimes use a metrenome? ...start doing either one of these things and after a while you will also notice the time slips of other drummers (and yourself of course!) ...

but... i'm talking about live 9.0 and i'd definitely forgive time slips in a live performance so yes i think joey is good, but not as good as a drummer who keeps perfect time in all situations (i.e. live or recording)

as for eyeore and the blister... i'm talking about live 9.0 and on that album you can't say i'm not right about what i said.
maybe that's why you don't like the album? or is it because of all corey's crap that he says because i honestly can't stand corey......
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM

do you know if its possible to get the white cymbals that he has? they would look sweet with my kit

tj
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever! apparently, the two other percussionists shawn (clown) and chris are there to give Slipknot their "tribal sound". true they don't come through much, more so on the Self titled album than anywhere else. I luv slipknot, they were the first metal band I got into, and when I first listened to Vol 3: THe subliminal verses, joey's drumming blew me away!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadeza666
Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever!
I respect your opinion here and thank you for stating it that way. Joey is indeed a very good drummer.

There are a lot of people that need to make the distinction between, "My favorite drummer", and, "The best drummer in the world". Many people don't realize that these are two different things.

There are people that say Joey is their favorite drummer in the world, so they automatically think that means he is also the best in the world, which is not true. I'm not bashing Joey here because I do think he is very good, i'm just saying that there really are better and faster drummers out there.

My favorite drummer in the world is certainly not the best one in the world, but he's my favorite. (Not telling).
Old 03-08-2006, 10:11 PM

My opinion of him changed after I saw a video on youtube.com of him. It was some Roadrunner Records (or whatever the title was) dvd.

He was alone, in a studio. Blidingly fast doublebass work and also solid around the kit. Unfortunately, I just can't get into Slipknot (and no, it's not their costumes). I think it's 1/2-rate metal.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadeza666
Joey Jordison is my favourite drummer ever! apparently, the two other percussionists shawn (clown) and chris are there to give Slipknot their "tribal sound". true they don't come through much, more so on the Self titled album than anywhere else. I luv slipknot, they were the first metal band I got into, and when I first listened to Vol 3: THe subliminal verses, joey's drumming blew me away!
Its actually very surprising, but the drummers do come through and definately make a difference in the music and specially a live performance. The member that doesnt do a lot is Craig, who is the guy with the spikey mask.

II xMETALx II
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Senior Administrator

my favourite living drummer is benny greb and dead is bonzo but as for the best in the world? there is no best in the world. its impossible because the criteria for judgement are so spread.
oh
ummm

this is a joey thread so i better say something about that.... he's a fantastic showman playing for a band whose music is, to put it lightly, a matter of taste.

j

Old 03-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Ok, it's time to look at this little Workaround of Joey - you see, he can drum.....all is here, technically, really pro:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...oundcheck.html

and here - for not to be forgotten - the fun video:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/j...dison2007.html

Bernhard
Old 03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Womble

B-b-b...b-but....he has a face!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Administrator

and that's just the warm up. very cool. also he doesn't seem to play heel toe there. look carefully its all toe and right down near the hinge of the pedal. he must have very low tension on his springs.

thanks b

j

Old 03-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Pioneer Member

well there it is. he's good after all.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:43 AM
helldrummer

cheers bernard !

that really shows how much potential he has... imagine how good he will be in 20 years??
Old 03-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Gold Member

that warm up thing makes me look differently at him. i still dont like the whole mask thing, but i can respect him for a drummer because of all the technically stuff he does and the fast snare stuff like the fills
Old 03-11-2006, 04:54 AM

u can also here on the live 9.0 cd of slipknot joey solo is pritty sick and in blister exists u can here there percutionist at the end of it joey is my fav drummer also.