DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-13-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Joey Jordison

It was joeys idea that the band needed three percussionists, but yeah in my opinion the other two are pretty much just for the show (like the masks and jumpsuits) These two just add some extra low end punch to joeys sound because hes a relatively light drummer...and you know...they hit kegs and stuff
Old 08-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Jim

Not a big Slipknot fan, I like my music heavier. BUT, Joey's pretty tight. He's obviously got his thirtytwo's nailed and can roll fluidly.
Apparently Joey plays jazz as well. With or without the mask I wonder? Whatever the case, Joey is right for the band. His drumming completes their sound, Chris and Sean are there to add punctuation, as well as for the showmanship.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Not a big Slipknot fan, I like my music heavier. BUT, Joey's pretty tight. He's obviously got his thirtytwo's nailed and can roll fluidly.
Apparently Joey plays jazz as well. With or without the mask I wonder? Whatever the case, Joey is right for the band. His drumming completes their sound, Chris and Sean are there to add punctuation, as well as for the showmanship.

Thank you, finally someone who agrees my opinion!!
Old 08-20-2005, 04:12 PM

I dont know much about Joey Jordison, but I heard he does 9's with his feet or something like that?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 PM
C.M. Covais

This happens in every generation. In the sixties, people who knew practically nothing about music, and only liked pop music, thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world. "The Beatles are the best and Ringo is the greatest drummer in the world"

Now it's Joey Jordison and Slipknot.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 AM

Hes one of the fastest metal drummers around today according to a magazine
Old 08-25-2005, 08:25 AM

kind of... but it adds volume and sound to the drumming. Joey's drumming is off the hook and if I could have any drummer's powers it would definitely be his...

One question I have, anybody know which bass heads Joey uses? Or which bass heads are the best? I keep breakin mine... any methods on helping the head live longer? Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Pioneer Member

So, where is all this alleged jazz drumming of Joey's? Everyone's mentioned that he plays the stuff, but no one has cited any examples.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 PM
maggot

the only co-drummers you can hear are the kegs and that part in the blister exists with just the snare drum rhythm is by the co-drummers
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM

i think itīs somthing different they do other things than joey but i especially love his drumming style i think i great knows how to use effect cymbals
Old 09-10-2005, 06:03 AM

Does Joey do drum clinics?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNut
Does Joey do drum clinics?
No............................ Just Answering your question Mabey he will do one some day
Old 09-10-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat
Sure, I can't play like Joey and I like to be able to, and sure, he is a good drummer. But then you put him up against Nick Barker and Flo Mournier.. and.. well...
110% agreed. Unfortunately due to the harsh nature of black metal, the drummers get overlooked by the "drum masses", while more popular mainstreem bands like slipknot appeal to the drumming industry because it gives a popular example of a genre that is sadly, in some cases, overlooked.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:13 AM

Default joey jordison

anyone like him, when i first started playing, he was my biggest influence, but, now, alotta of other drummers are, including jordin m. from as i lay dying. the double bass is what i suck at, but it is my passion. they both rock the db. anyways, who here thinks hes good? or is he too.... "simple"?

my drums here
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 AM
NaturalRaz

Default Re: joey jordison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBassUrFace
anyone like him, when i first started playing, he was my biggest influence, but, now, alotta of other drummers are, including jordin m. from as i lay dying. the double bass is what i suck at, but it is my passion. they both rock the db. anyways, who here thinks hes good? or is he too.... "simple"?
IMO anyone that can keep a steady DB is worth mentioning even if you don't like his style.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:02 AM

Well..alot people in there dont even know wut Joey can do...

First, he is not a bad drummer (well...some people on this page even told that he suck...well, play like him, judge after). He is by far not my favorite drummer and cant be compare for sure to alot of godly drummer like Berzerker, Cryptopsy, Hate Eternal, Satyricon, Quo Vadis, etc., but dont forget that he isn't only a drummer.
He write songs for slipknot with Paul. He write songs too for Murderdolls (who is one of the suckiest band out there..my opinion.) and he play guitar in that band (well, most guitarist like me will tell u that wut he play in that band is a joke...12 kid can play stand up ...). But when u put all that together, u have a nice complete musician. Finally, i found his drum solo on Disasterpiece great, not the best, but nice to see it live. Well...i think i talked enough..
Old 10-28-2005, 10:03 AM

my joey jordison forum
Old 10-28-2005, 04:16 PM

Hey Sic seems like your from Warrington ha ha fancy that Im just down the road in Widnes, how long youbeen playing?Joey Jordison erm I went through a stage when I was younger where I believed he was amazing but after REALLY listening to him and watching him at live gigs I got bored of him and his technique. Im not bashing him he is good and I havent heard him outside of the band. I now listen to alot more different music and types of drummers which im certain improves ye playing immensley.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:43 PM

OK

Joey Jordison should be one of the top hundred drummers BECAUSE of his popularity. Do you see nile, or archenemy, or meshuggah in the spotlight? NO, of course you dont, because they are obscure. Joey deserves what he has because he did something different to all the other drummers and got famous by doing it (yes Funk/Rap/Mallcore metal was different once). Now, many people can do what he does better than him, and that makes them awesome technilogical drummers, but not particularly interesting drummers, which is why so many metal drummers(and bands) are still in the obscure backwaters of the music business. Joey was new and unique once, and changed metal drumming quite a bit. There is only one metal drummer at the same fame level as him that is better than him, and that is adrian erlandsson(my best friend met him at drummer live and went cymbal shopping with him). But even then, I dont see non-metallers talking about how much they hate cradle of filth, I only see them talking about how much they hate slipknot, which must mean something if complete strangers to the genre know all of the names of the slipknot members. In conclusion, Joey did something that was awesome and got his band famous for it. People try exactly the same things, but are still cursed with obscurity and b-list fame.

Slipknot are good, joey is good

Dennis C, Virgil D and Adrian E are all better tho
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 PM

Joey has a distinct style that is uncommon to many drummers. Not only is he super fast, it seems he has an awesome feel for the drums. I look up to him not only as a drummer but also because he is the biggest influence on Slipknot in terms of creativity. I think he is one of those few musicians who are born with a musical ability; his style is very unique.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:00 AM

To be honest with you all, I dont have any dilusions about him being the greatest drummer ever. He is my favorite drummer though. His style appeals to me, and obviously alot of other people otherwise his name wouldnt stir up so much drama on the boards.

I dont believe he has done anything revolutionary for the drumming community, but everyone has their own taste and opinions about drumming. Some of you die hard death metal fans have an anurism when someone praises what Jordison has done with his drumming. But come on if you think about it what has he really done? ...He has found a style of drumming that has appealed to a large portion of people, if thats not a way to gauge your success as a drummer then I dont know what is. I dont see how it matters if you can play 32, 64 or 128. If you can only find a handfull of people that enjoy the music you make, regardless of your skill in doing it. then how "Good" are you?

Like I said im not going to run around screaming he is the best ever, but I like him.

Whitey
Old 11-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Administrator

this is a good post. and i agree with the whole sentiment. why are people soooooooo concerned about the exact ranking of a great drummer? who cares who's best? is there even such a position. joey fits nicely into the top fifty drummers of his genre. that's all that is important. the rest is all childish squabbling.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-11-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Joey Jordison

Joey Jordison, the drummer of SlipKnoT, is incredible of course. He is why I decided to play heavy metal instead of punk. I went to a Knot concert in march and the vertical spinning solo is amazing to see first-hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Pioneer Member

well the simple fact that he uses triggers on his drums makes him a joke, you have no idea how much of the groove he is actually playing.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:07 AM

I have seen many videos of joey jordison playing drums in the studio and live...he plays awesome... And by the way, what do you mean " he uses triggers "? Not familiar with this term.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
well the simple fact that he uses triggers on his drums makes him a joke, you have no idea how much of the groove he is actually playing.
Wow, I'm sure that the majority of pro drummers will be interested to learn this.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
first of all triggers arelike mics in that they are involved with sound.joey is ensuring his drums sound mean at every venue and so will i eventually go this way, heck a huge portion of pro drummers do this anyway. it is no indication at all that this is a lack of skills. i'm surprised at this post from you. i tell you in myopinion, Bonham would have used triggers were he alive today. listen to the timps on his 'montreaux'. triggers just combine the sound of the drum to another drum sound making a newer meatier drum sound.

secondof all, if he is triggering loops (which i doubt), this still is not an indication of his drumming being a joke. playing to loops is exceptionally hard and a whole other skill. the greatest drummersdo it all the time...don't believe me?go and watch some dennis chambers vids.

thirdl, just watch joey play and listen. when the stick goes down there is sound. nothing inbetween to suggest he is cheating in any way. even if by somechance he was onlyplaying 80% of the groove i thinkl this would be impressive. in fact its far easier to be 100% in charge of the groove than to try and share it with a machine, especially during the mayhem of a slipnot concert. i'm not a fan of the band but i am a fan of drummers. don't bash what you don't understand

j

ps: sorry but i am in a mood today.

Old 11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Pioneer Member

well triggers can be used like a dualist pedal, when u hit the drum you can make it sound like u hit the drum more then one time, therefore not knowing how much of the drumming he is actually playing. I have no problem with triggers used as a away to add an effect, such as an echo, or sumthing else.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Senior Administrator

even so let's say you programmed a trigger to make a double strike, it would take great skill and internal clocking to make the strikes fit in with the tempo structure of the song. on my roland kit there is a fun little kit called 'drum solo'. when you hit a tom once it fires four times rapidly. sometimes for fun i play it. to make a continuous single stroke roll takes some cool minded skill.

that said i very much doubt joey uses anything like this. i have read several articles and interviews on him and my roady is a huge fan. so i have seen nearly every slipknot DVD especially the ones with a joey cam. believe me he doesn't use double triggers etc.

j

Old 11-11-2005, 10:31 PM

I found a video of Joey unmasked messing around on his set. He doesnt use triggers. He plays a hundred percent. And what he is playing is complicated and fast. Besides, if he has been playing since he was thirteen, why are people constantly questioning his talent? Jealousy maybe? I'm not accusing anyone in particular but seriously, we could take any drummer and list what is bad about them. It doesnt accomplish anything. I'm sticking with my theory that Joey is awesome. And is one of the fastest Metal drummers I've heard. His songs arent repetitive either, he makes them interesting. Its more than just beats, its a real collage of sounds and rhythms.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
even so let's say you programmed a trigger to make a double strike, it would take great skill and internal clocking to make the strikes fit in with the tempo structure of the song. on my roland kit there is a fun little kit called 'drum solo'. when you hit a tom once it fires four times rapidly. sometimes for fun i play it. to make a continuous single stroke roll takes some cool minded skill.

that said i very much doubt joey uses anything like this. i have read several articles and interviews on him and my roady is a huge fan. so i have seen nearly every slipknot DVD especially the ones with a joey cam. believe me he doesn't use double triggers etc.

j
ill take your word for it, but triggers still rub me the wrong way
Old 11-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I don't think he uses triggers to "add" notes not played...I'm not sure of any drummers that do that...However i know alot of people look down on drummers who use triggers (I personaly don't)...There reason being that the triggers give you the same dynamic of the note no matter how soft or hard you are playing...It used by many metal drummers because of the speed they are playing with the bassdrum...Playing 16th notes on the bass at 250 BPM and higher can take ALOT of volume away from the notes...You could be playing (mp) but triggers will make it sound like your playing (FFF) and all even...
Old 11-13-2005, 07:59 AM

Hey guys! Just Check out the last Slipknot video "The Flameless" Shooted live here in Venezuela... Drums speak to save joey from all that has been said here... I think I have to work for 2 years to play that song right... "flameless... just Flawless drumming"
Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Hes not the best drummer about (not by a long way) But he is a good drummer IMO. I Agree that drummers like donati, and Lang are way more skillful and technical but i still think hes good as a performer and drummer.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:52 AM

Joey its a good drummer but nobody's perfect...
I dont like his twin pedal "abuse", he can make something better but make a fast roll is not the most awesome performance I saw
Old 11-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andresmazzei
Hey guys! Just Check out the last Slipknot video "The Flameless" Shooted live here in Venezuela... Drums speak to save joey from all that has been said here... I think I have to work for 2 years to play that song right... "flameless... just Flawless drumming"
When U start to work on your thechnique, rudiments, rolls, ect ect ect.... and youll be able to play a harder song.... concentrate on your mistakes, fix them and youll play better...
Practice is not all !!!!, but you cant up your skills if you stay playing songs....
Other thing.... all have their own preferences, but listen to diferent music and styles will not kill you....
Old 11-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Joey Jordison is a great drummer!!! YES, he is!!!! He does exactly, what the job calls for. Beside of this he's also a versatile jazz player, knowing his chops. Be sure!!!!

Bernhard
Old 11-17-2005, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

I think Joey Jordison is an amazing drummer. His speed is incredible. Everything in his beats flow together so smoothly.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Pioneer Member

i think what i like about joey jordisan is his attitude to music. he's in at least two or three bands, and in a rythm interview he said one of his drumming idols was rolling stones drummer charlie watts, which i thought was pretty cool. his life seems to be about music, and not image, which i stupidly used to think (didn't mean to use the word stupidly, but i don't know the correct spelling of nievely).
Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Pioneer Member

For all you who like heavier music check out "Otep". Joey drums for them since they released their last album. I've been into them for about over a year now. It's pretty crazy stuff.