DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Winegums Winegums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Default Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Ever since Evans made the switch to the level 360 technology I've been having major issues with getting the heads to seat, tension and tune. I constantly have to tune my toms and snare drum rather than just minor maintenance tuning, on occasion I find that they've dropped almost 3 or 4 steps down from where they should be. I also notice wrinkles and odd articles on the heads even when fully tuned up that cause rattles and flat sounding toms. The heads do not handle snare beds very well anymore, also wrinkling and not tensioning up properly.

I'm using G2 clear heads on my Mapex Velvetone kit (10,12,14,16) and a ST dry/300 on my 14" Pearl Chad Smith signature snare. Before someone says it, I've double checked my bearing edges and hoops for distortion and flaws but I could not find any problems. The problem started with the pre-release heads that weren't labeled level 360 but still had the new profile and has continued with the 360 labeled heads. I'm confident in my drum tuning and I am sure it is not my lack of ability.

I've stood by Evans drum heads since I started playing 5 years ago but it looks like I'll have to make a switch to a new drum skin company since these heads simply do not do not perform how they used to.

Last edited by Winegums; 08-14-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,246
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Weird. I have the opposite experience with them. I find they tune up way easier and more even, in fact, they sound more even when occasionally they aren't across the head. I've always had to do little touch ups every once in a while, though... Even pre-L360, drums go out of tune as they are played and stretch as they are on the drum. Nothing a key and 15 seconds doesn't fix.
__________________
Tortured animal filled with chemicals meeting horrible death = yum. - Anon La Ply
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM
BertTheDrummer's Avatar
BertTheDrummer BertTheDrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 354
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

My experiences have been similar to Dr Watso. I think the purpose of the Level 360 design is to limit those problems you are speaking about, so I don't know what to say. This would be a good thread for the evans guys to chime in on.
__________________
Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Pros practice until they can't get it wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 PM
Winegums Winegums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I know that the new profile was supposed to get rid of these problems but it only seems to have made them worse for me. Maybe it's a case of "that's how my drums are"? but I don't think I should have to crank down the head on my 14" my floor tom to get it to perform.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,728
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

It seems, then, that they just aren't working with your kit. Aquarian has had similar tech basically forever, you might want to try some of those and see if they work- Super-2s or Response-2s on toms are their G2 equivalent.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 AM
risewiththefallen risewiththefallen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 173
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Ya idk mapex drums seem to like remos better for whatever reason. I currently have ec2s on my Saturn's and my kit just isn't agreeing with them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I currently have two sets of 360 heads for my vintage circa 1950 Gretsch kit and I just love them!
I have a complete set of J1 Etched jazz heads and a complete set of G1 Coated heads.
I swap then whenever I feel the need and tune with no issues.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:35 AM
Defender's Avatar
Defender Defender is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 192
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I'm running G2 coated tops and G1 Clear bottoms on my 8,10,12,14,16. A Genera Dry top and Hazy 300 bottom on my snare and an EMAD2 on my bass batter. When I seated them, I placed my palm and pressed ever so slightly and then tuned them.. That was 2 1/2 months ago and besides them breaking in and dropping a little bit in tune, I haven't touched a drum key on any of them since (they just all sound too freakin' good to mess with).
__________________
See my PDP Concept Maple at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=117040
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,728
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risewiththefallen View Post
Ya idk mapex drums seem to like remos better for whatever reason.
Tell that to Matt Halpern ;) ;) ;)

I wonder how their new bearing edge affects this issue.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:57 AM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I had an issue at first with the coating wearing off prematurely, but I haven't had any issues since.

Maybe you should check your shells for roundness, bearing edge quality, and take a look at your hoops to make sure nothing's warped or damaged.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Winegums Winegums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I tuned up my kit again yesterday and it was fighting with me a bit less. I'll tough it out with these heads and see if they settle down, maybe the L-360 profile is taking longer to break in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TColumbia37 View Post
I had an issue at first with the coating wearing off prematurely, but I haven't had any issues since.

Maybe you should check your shells for roundness, bearing edge quality, and take a look at your hoops to make sure nothing's warped or damaged.
"Before someone says it, I've double checked my bearing edges and hoops for distortion and flaws but I could not find any problems."
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
TColumbia37's Avatar
TColumbia37 TColumbia37 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Davenport, Iowa
Posts: 909
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
"Before someone says it, I've double checked my bearing edges and hoops for distortion and flaws but I could not find any problems."
My mistake. Only skimmed the post. Worn out tension rods, maybe?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Sjogras's Avatar
Sjogras Sjogras is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 607
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

I had a 14" G2 360 head that just did didn't seat or tune well, upon inspection I noticed that one side of the mylar had a bulge which caused exactly what you're experiencing, a rattling, bad sounding drum.

Evans replaced it for free, and apart from that instance, my experience with the Level 360 heads is nothing but positive.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 PM
risewiththefallen risewiththefallen is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 173
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Tell that to Matt Halpern ;) ;) ;)

I wonder how their new bearing edge affects this issue.
ya there are lots of mapex artists who use Evans. I guess I should have said mapex and Evans don't agree with me =p
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Winegums Winegums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

As an update the heads seem to be settling and sounding better now, but I've never had any heads take this long to stop stretching (almost a month now, 2hr practice daily). I'll continue to update as I go through the life of these heads.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
v.zarate's Avatar
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 825
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

thats weird.

i was using L-360 EC2 a few months back and they tuned just fine. i also use L-360 coated G1 on my 13x7 snare. i put that sucker on when i first got the snare, tuned it and never tuned it again. its probably de-tuned a bit since but still sounds good!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-19-2014, 12:13 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,728
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Just to add to the previous comments, I've been using G1s, G12s, and G14s on toms since last year and have had no problems. Really loving the Heavyweight on my brass snare too. I'm using Aquarian Classic Clear resos on the toms and also have no problems with those- just as easy to seat/tune plus they're actually clear unlike the slightly hazy film used in G1s, Ambassadors, etc.
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:11 AM
v.zarate's Avatar
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 825
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
Just to add to the previous comments, I've been using G1s, G12s, and G14s on toms since last year and have had no problems. Really loving the Heavyweight on my brass snare too. I'm using Aquarian Classic Clear resos on the toms and also have no problems with those- just as easy to seat/tune plus they're actually clear unlike the slightly hazy film used in G1s, Ambassadors, etc.
you say heavyweight on brass? which brass snare and which head?

i wanna try out on my brass snare. also what type of tune you have on it? low med or high?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 AM
porter's Avatar
porter porter is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,728
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

The Heavyweight snare head- if I recall, it's two 10mil plies plus a power dot. I'm using it right now on a 13x6" Chrome over Brass Ahead snare with a no-collar Ambassador snare side, Puresound Equalizers, and Pearl Fat Tone hoops. It slays at all tunings though I do need to muffle it quite a bit when it's lower, but I'd also use a different set of wires then.

Previously I had a Black Chrome on there which sounds a little more modern at higher tunings but didn't take the lower one as well (I was also using die-cast hoops at the time).
__________________
Check out my Youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 PM
v.zarate's Avatar
v.zarate v.zarate is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: State of Lady Liberty
Posts: 825
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
The Heavyweight snare head- if I recall, it's two 10mil plies plus a power dot. I'm using it right now on a 13x6" Chrome over Brass Ahead snare with a no-collar Ambassador snare side, Puresound Equalizers, and Pearl Fat Tone hoops. It slays at all tunings though I do need to muffle it quite a bit when it's lower, but I'd also use a different set of wires then.

Previously I had a Black Chrome on there which sounds a little more modern at higher tunings but didn't take the lower one as well (I was also using die-cast hoops at the time).
Ok cool, I may try this sett up
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,473
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
I tuned up my kit again yesterday and it was fighting with me a bit less. I'll tough it out with these heads and see if they settle down, maybe the L-360 profile is taking longer to break in?



"Before someone says it, I've double checked my bearing edges and hoops for distortion and flaws but I could not find any problems."
I don't think these heads "break in" I have had a whole set on my Renowns and they went on tuned up and Ihave not had a problem
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,919
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
Ever since Evans made the switch to the level 360 technology I've been having major issues with getting the heads to seat, tension and tune. I constantly have to tune my toms and snare drum rather than just minor maintenance tuning, on occasion I find that they've dropped almost 3 or 4 steps down from where they should be. I also notice wrinkles and odd articles on the heads even when fully tuned up that cause rattles and flat sounding toms. The heads do not handle snare beds very well anymore, also wrinkling and not tensioning up properly.

I'm using G2 clear heads on my Mapex Velvetone kit (10,12,14,16) and a ST dry/300 on my 14" Pearl Chad Smith signature snare. Before someone says it, I've double checked my bearing edges and hoops for distortion and flaws but I could not find any problems. The problem started with the pre-release heads that weren't labeled level 360 but still had the new profile and has continued with the 360 labeled heads. I'm confident in my drum tuning and I am sure it is not my lack of ability.

I've stood by Evans drum heads since I started playing 5 years ago but it looks like I'll have to make a switch to a new drum skin company since these heads simply do not do not perform how they used to.


Get TIGHT SCREWS, sounds like loose tolerances with the stock tension rods 'if' everything else does in fact check out.


Not likely you're going to get a 'whole set' of defective heads.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Winegums Winegums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 221
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Get TIGHT SCREWS, sounds like loose tolerances with the stock tension rods 'if' everything else does in fact check out.


Not likely you're going to get a 'whole set' of defective heads.
It's not the whole set displaying the same problems, for example my 10" and 12" toms are are pretty good. On the other hand my 14" and 16" floor toms will not stay in tune, I've even tuned them after I'm done playing and came back the next day to find that they're way out of tune again. I'm also having more trouble with my snare staying in tune, it used to be that I had to tune only the one lug that is where my stick always hits for a rim shot. Now it's the case where I have to tune multiple lugs on the snare and also more frequently.

I'm sure they heads work for everyone else flawlessly but I wish the old profile still existed. I think what's happening is my shells are under size and the head has to deform rather than stretch.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 546
Default Re: Anyone else have problems with Level 360 heads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post
As an update the heads seem to be settling and sounding better now, but I've never had any heads take this long to stop stretching (almost a month now, 2hr practice daily). I'll continue to update as I go through the life of these heads.
I'm glad to hear that they're working out for you now, but what you experienced is definitely not how our heads should function. Let me know if you're still having some issues.

Thanks for your patience!
__________________
Carlock did. Anton Figdid. Kenny Aronoff did. Join the revolution! Evans Level 360.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com