DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 AM

Default my metal kit

This is my kit, i have a piece o' crap summit 5 pc kit with a pearl ex mount tom, sabian 14in thin crash, sabian 20in ride, summit 14in crash that sounds like a china, a 16in sabian b8pro mini china, summit hi hats, and a zildjian splash

This is my mixer that i recently got...

Old 03-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: my metal kit

I think I might cry........
Old 03-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, and not to be an a**hole, but you're running Pins, with tape and cloth underneath by the looks of it AND no resos. Do you not like your toms making a noise, let alone actually resonating with some tone?
And...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
i think i might join you
Old 03-25-2007, 12:37 PM

Must be nice to have so many toms...
Is it a training kit, or do you play gigs as well?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Silver Member

i am crying.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

The mixer seems pointless if the drums are going to sound like crap anyway. I'd say sell the mixer to upgrade your kit. And when I say upgrade, I say buy an entirely new kit.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Concert toms rock!!!
Are they so taped up to keep the volume down??? (neighbors?)
I am using a full set o' concert toms with a 70-80 arena rock cover band and I love them, but I am using clear CS with NOTHING else on the heads. The volume is trememdous and they have sustain and a pitch BTW.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

YESSS ANGLED TOMS UNITE!!!!......i dont know why everyone gets so offended when someone has their toms angled.......if they are angled thats obviously where they are most comfortable, im so sick of people saying crap about "angled toms" if the toms are higher up, or further away, they have to be angled

but i must admit, yours are a little extreme

Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
YESSS ANGLED TOMS UNITE!!!!......i dont know why everyone gets so offended when someone has their toms angled.......if they are angled thats obviously where they are most comfortable, im so sick of people saying crap about "angled toms" if the toms are higher up, or further away, they have to be angled

His toms aren't angled correctly, though. They look like they're almost 90 degrees, and that's a good way to put holes in the heads. And it's not always true that angled toms are what is most "comfortable" for the drummer. He may not know any better, and his first instict was to angle them like so. If you're going to angle the toms, they are best positioned at a 45 degree angle so the impact of a drumstick doesn't create "craters" in the head.

I play on both angled and flat toms. I prefer flat toms for 1 up-2 down setups, but when I have more than one mounted tom, I prefer angled toms.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post

Angled is fine just as long as it's not to extreme. Remember, the purpose is always to hit the stick near parallel with the skin. Of course you must have some angle between stick and tom else you would be hitting nothing but rim shots.

Now, knowing this you must image in what position he has to hold his sticks to hit those toms correctly, so with a slight angle, near parallel to the skin surface. There are to options for him

1 - He hits them as i described and that means he has to wringle his wrists so unnaturally to do that, he's litturaly killing his hands.

2 - He hits them with a way to big angle between skin surface and skin and he's causing the heads to get holes. And you also make it harder on for yourself because you get less rebound.

Now, i hope this clears out the tom angle issue. And i understnd you need some angle with big toms. I angle mine to because i use a 22" bd. But i would certainly not angle them more than 45 degrees as Kung_foo said.
So true
Old 03-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Personally I put the bottom heads back on and take the tape off.I play strictly four-piece so my (1) tom doesn't. have much of an angle on it as long as he or she is happy then screw it different strokes for different folks i've seen drummer tom angles go completely opposite like straight vertically up and down with no angle to them.it all depends on the drummer.I've said it before a good drummer can make any drum sound good.but looking at that kit i'll stay away from the summit drum company.lol

Keep Swatting anyway,
Bonzolead
Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 PM

lol, thx for the criticisms, but heres my reasons for those issues:

1. I angle them that way because they are most comfortable for me, they arent 90 degrees, but they are over 45, look at the first pic i put up, they arent 90 degrees maybe about 60, 70, and its better, i havent had to change heads, so no holes, and my wrists feel fine thx for worrying
2. I use the pink foam strips because i dont like the resonating sound, and when I got that set, which by the way i got off ebay...the toms sounded like a dying cow, so, i took the back heads off, which sounded better, but still sucked, then i added the Pearl EX tom, and it sounded like a real tom, but it didnt match the tones of my other toms, so i had to do the same to it, and i was cool with it.
3. and i have the mixer, because i run a studio for my band and other local bands in the area, i took this pic before i mic'ed up my set, so now theres wires f**king everywhere

anymore complaints can be submitted in writing on this thread, keep them coming
Old 03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

You want that tom resonation though. You might think it sounds like crap, but in a live setting you're going to need resonance instead the beating on cardboard sound. My biggest suggestion is take all the crap off the heads and put resonant heads on it, even if it does sound crap you just need to fine tune those and find the right heads, anythings better than a blank and lonely thunk on drums. Also having your toms angled like that is just plain bad all around, you're going to dent your heads more easily and also just plain play wrong.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
i'm bawling inconsolably right now

I know you have your reasons for all that, but still!!! its just not right! You need a new set and fast- use that thing for some kindling or something. I'm sure if you tune and tune, you'll eventually find a point where the resonance will sound better than thudding. I had a bad beginners set (still have it actually) and found that after working with it for a while, I got it to sound decent- I would strongly advise doing this to yours, because right now its a crime. More importantly though- GET A NEW SET, FAST!!!

all that said, thats a nice mixer you've got, i used the same one before and it worked well for me- what are you going to be running it to for recording?
Old 03-25-2007, 08:14 PM

thx for the suggestions i will consider them all, and as a warning to all starting drummers, DO NOT BUY A SET OFF OF EBAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I think its not all that bad (some of these guys have a flair for the dramatic) May i suggest though, that you take off the parafanalia from you drum heads, put the resos on and use the tunikng bible to tune your toms.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

It is atleast good to see that you use good heads, and not stock ones, for most drums.
Loose the tape, please! I am heartbroken by the looks of the toms!

-Mofle
Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

just curious, how old are those heads, and how much do you play?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Administrator

I would find the Tuning Bible quick and if nothing else flatten out that splash. Please.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:38 AM

thanks to all, im gonna go fix my set, and ill post more pics up so u guys can keep bitching...
Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlippersLTG View Post
thx for the suggestions i will consider them all, and as a warning to all starting drummers, DO NOT BUY A SET OFF OF EBAY!!!!!!!!!
Yes I agree I don't. but anything I can see up close pictures can be very deceiving.

Bonzolead
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
thanks to all, im gonna go fix my set, and ill post more pics up so u guys can keep bitching...
I wouldn't fix a thing. If thats the way you want YOUR kit then keep it that way. Just because someone on here thinks they know it all and their kit is set up a certain way doesn't mean its right. If you like it the way you have it , leave it that way. You bought it, not them. I saw earlier someone said something about busting heads, so what. Thats going to happen anyway and your spending the money on it.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius25 View Post
I wouldn't fix a thing. If thats the way you want YOUR kit then keep it that way. Just because someone on here thinks they know it all and their kit is set up a certain way doesn't mean its right. If you like it the way you have it , leave it that way. You bought it, not them. I saw earlier someone said something about busting heads, so what. Thats going to happen anyway and your spending the money on it.
Being passive isn't necessarily the best course of action. Some of what we say may come off as criticism -- but we're trying to SAVE him money on heads and whatnot. Should I have disregarded my teacher and not changed the angle of my toms?

Honestly, if someone is giving you advice, especially someone who has been down that road, you should probably take it. But if money isn't an object (with a set of $200 ebay drums with beginner cymbals, obviously it is) then by all means, play with the drums and cymbals at obscene angles. But you'll be kicking yourself when you have holes in your drumheads, cracks in your cymbals, and not enough money to afford replacements. If "so what" is your response to putting holes in drumheads, then its pretty easy to see how far you might get with drumming.

I'm not trying to insult anyone with these comments, but we're talking common sense here.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Pioneer Member

If you look at the middle tom you can see the stick marks. Stick marks shouldn't bigger than the tip of the stick itself. On this kit they're vertical lines so you know he's striking them improperly. Changing the angle of your wrist that much when playing decreases efficiency and doesn't do wonders on your ligaments. My suggestions would be
1. decrease the tom and splash angles
2. take all that s*** off your drum heads
3. put the resos back on
4. put some tape strip on the bottom of your mixer so you don't write all over it. that way you can always pull up the tape when channels change (and they always do). *EDIT*: It looks like you have clear tape on there? so disregard. I dunno, I prefer masking tape, comes off easier.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
His toms aren't angled correctly, though. They look like they're almost 90 degrees, and that's a good way to put holes in the heads. And it's not always true that angled toms are what is most "comfortable" for the drummer. He may not know any better, and his first instict was to angle them like so. If you're going to angle the toms, they are best positioned at a 45 degree angle so the impact of a drumstick doesn't create "craters" in the head.

I play on both angled and flat toms. I prefer flat toms for 1 up-2 down setups, but when I have more than one mounted tom, I prefer angled toms.
I'm surprised you can type from all the way up on that high horse.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
put some tape strip on the bottom of your mixer so you don't write all over it. that way you can always pull up the tape when channels change (and they always do).

i have ducktape on it
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM

ok, i put on my resos, and i lowered my toms, ill get some more pics up soon.

thx everybody
Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
I'm surprised you can type from all the way up on that high horse.
Wireless keyboard.

But seriously, I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone else. But I did the same thing he did with his kit when I was young and inexperienced. Should I bust out pics of my kit at it's earliest? My tom angles were horrid, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

If I came off as being pompous, I apologize.

EDIT:
Just to drive my point home, here's something to give you guys a nice chuckle.

Last edited by kung_f00; 03-27-2007 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
are you sure thats not a piece of abstract art? perhaps you could sell it as one, those seem to bring in a lot of money.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Wireless keyboard.

But seriously, I'm not trying to say I'm better than anyone else. But I did the same thing he did with his kit when I was young and inexperienced. Should I bust out pics of my kit at it's earliest? My tom angles were horrid, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

If I came off as being pompous, I apologize.

EDIT:
completely agree man. i too was prone to bad angles when i first started. its a learning curve.

-Wes
Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 AM

I'm new. Thanks to this thread i changed my tom angles flatter. Works waaay better. Rebound makes rolls and fills easier to execute.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 AM

lol, i guess my mistakes do help others. Oh, If I were to buy new reso heads, what would you guys suggest?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

I use evans, so Clear G1's would be perfect. You would get a nice metallica-esque sound if you tune them half decently. Good luck :)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:24 PM

haha ok, i tuned my toms today, and because i have like 2 different company toms, i had a "blast" tuning them to match, but they are decent, but i lost the reso head and the holder for the floor tom head when i took it off, lol. I guess you can call me the the most responsible person.

Last edited by SlippersLTG; 03-28-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Isn't that a Pearl Powershifter dbl pedal you're using? I've got a leftie single chain version, thats a pretty nice pedal for the money I find (the cheapest decent leftie at least).
Old 03-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumms View Post
Isn't that a Pearl Powershifter dbl pedal you're using? I've got a leftie single chain version, thats a pretty nice pedal for the money I find (the cheapest decent leftie at least).
yes is it, its been great for me, i was using dbl DW 4000 that sucked.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
haha ok, i tuned my toms today, and because i have like 2 different company toms, i had a "blast" tuning them to match, but they are decent, but i lost the reso head and the holder for the floor tom head when i took it off, lol. I guess you can call me the the most responsible person.
For a while I didn't have resos on my floor tom. They sounded more pronounced, with a lot more sustain. Eventually you'll probably want to replace the rims and the head, but in the meantime that shouldn't be a huge issue. Might actually give you a chance to take an up-close pic of the bearing edges. I'm curious as to how the bearing edges on these "no-name" kits are.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

you are asking the wrong question my friend- the proper question is, do these no-name kits have bearing edges- here is your answer

Old 03-29-2007, 02:06 AM

ok here are the new pics